Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stalky79

Osaka Marathon 2019 - 1st Dec

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, beast said:

Osaka temp in early Dec should be 10-15? But yah I think the difference wouldn't be that significant. Likely still need to layer.

I am not familiar with running gear - Does compression wear provide some protection from the cold?

I did Osaka past two years and this is my third consecutive Osaka marathon. Beast is right about the temperature, its quite comfortable and I believe its nothing like Tokyo marathon. For the past two years it was late November race (only a week apart from this year's edition) and I ran in short sleeves top plus long compression pants, pretty much the same attire as what I would wear for a local race. Of course, we gotta check the temperature nearer to the date and might have to add on a light jacket if weather is rainy on race day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 7/3/2019 at 11:11 PM, beast said:

Is this your first Japan run? I am very sure you will not regret going for it. 

For itinerary maybe you can consult the multi-time finishers @AutumnRunner and @trailblazer.

@beast Thanks for the acknowledgement in my participation for Japanese running events 😄

On 7/10/2019 at 2:29 PM, dougs said:

Thanks. I did the Tokyo Marathon in ‘14 and have been to Osaka twice. Nevertheless, always new stuff to discover and do in Japan.

will start training and planning for this relatively cold marathon. When I did Tokyo, it was roughly 5-10 degrees with wind chill. Was snowing at one stretch as well. 

For Osaka, will expect it to be same temperature. Does anyone know if decathalon has good running gear for cold weather?

@dougs I recalled Tokyo Marathon 2014 was a wet and cold weather run from my running contacts who did that edition. Osaka Marathon in end Nov/December which @akane81 mentioned that it was cooling (not too cold). Decathlon SG may have what you need as I did a quick search online and it has a detailed explanation for layering for hiking (somehow relevant): https://www.decathlon.sg/Advices/hiking-trekking-sports-advice/how-to-dress-for-winter

Edited by trailblazer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 2:29 PM, dougs said:

Thanks. I did the Tokyo Marathon in ‘14 and have been to Osaka twice. Nevertheless, always new stuff to discover and do in Japan.

will start training and planning for this relatively cold marathon. When I did Tokyo, it was roughly 5-10 degrees with wind chill. Was snowing at one stretch as well. 

For Osaka, will expect it to be same temperature. Does anyone know if decathalon has good running gear for cold weather?

Thanks @beast...

Tokyo marathon is colder than Osaka marathon as one is start of winter while the other is end of winter...

I dun do races which are too cold before to the extent where I need to wear long tights or pants so cant comment on that..

Lastly the runners in Osaka marathon is also huge( less than Tokyo but significant enough) thus it will take some time for you to stand in the cold while waiting for your pen to start moving towards the start line. So do dress and cover appropriately. 

Edited by AutumnRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Thanks @beast...

Tokyo marathon is colder than Osaka marathon as one is start of winter while the other is end of winter...

I dun do races which are too cold before to the extent where I need to wear long tights or pants so cant comment on that..

Lastly the runners in Osaka marathon is also huge( less than Tokyo but significant enough) thus it will take some time for you to stand in the cold while waiting for your pen to start moving towards the start line. So do dress and cover appropriately. 

Actually both the number of runners for Osaka and Tokyo are equal at 30,000... Tokyo only increased to 32,000 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, trailblazer said:

 

@beast Thanks for the acknowledgement in my participation for Japanese running events 😄

@dougs I recalled Tokyo Marathon 2014 was a wet and cold weather run from my running contacts who did that edition. Osaka Marathon in end Nov/December which @akane81 mentioned that it was cooling (not too cold). Decathlon SG may have what you need as I did a quick search online and it has a detailed explanation for layering for hiking (somehow relevant): https://www.decathlon.sg/Advices/hiking-trekking-sports-advice/how-to-dress-for-winter

Thanks. I saw many runners previously dump their disposable raincoats at the start. My attire for Tokyo back then was a compression top with one looser dri fit tee, long tights, shorts (loose type), and gloves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dougs said:

Thanks. I saw many runners previously dump their disposable raincoats at the start. My attire for Tokyo back then was a compression top with one looser dri fit tee, long tights, shorts (loose type), and gloves. 

Going by what you say I think your threshold of cold is quite good so perhaps compression + disposable raincoat for Osaka is good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 9:45 AM, dougs said:

Thanks. I saw many runners previously dump their disposable raincoats at the start. My attire for Tokyo back then was a compression top with one looser dri fit tee, long tights, shorts (loose type), and gloves. 

Sometimes having disposable raincoat might not be bad thing in case of sudden strong gust of wind blowing through the starting pens...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...