Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stalky79

Osaka Marathon 2019 - 1st Dec

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Got the ballot.... lol

Congrats!

 
 
 
On 6/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, AutumnRunner said:

that sounds good !! no other major slopes anymore?

You can easily check the race route and elevation information at http://www.osaka-marathon.com/2019/info/course/index_en.html

From a first look, it seems that the start and end points (previously it was Intex) are now at Osaka Castle area, making race logistics easier also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree @trailblazer... there is no more 35km slope... however the few steep slopes from 0m to 20m between 28km to 33km seemed to be quite difficult too... and not forgetting that once reached around 42km mark still need to climb back up to Osaka castle ( cause i rem it's a bit of downslope coming down from start point last time)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the ballot! First marathon in Japan in 5 years. Any idea why the tickets to Osaka are so expensive during that period?

sch hols? Or too early to book? Should wait for promo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dougs said:

Got the ballot! First marathon in Japan in 5 years. Any idea why the tickets to Osaka are so expensive during that period?

sch hols? Or too early to book? Should wait for promo?

Yup school holidays. There won't be any promo (even if there is now, they will black out this period) because this is the peak season.  Some more fewer flights flying to Osaka compared to Tokyo.

Congrats and good luck for the run!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dougs said:

Thanks! If it is too logistically challenging, might have to pass

Logistically challenging? In what sense?

Would be more financially challenging since flights and hotels will be more expensive than usual. But other than that, you can be assured that race logistics will be managed 5 stars standard by the Japanese...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beast said:

Logistically challenging? In what sense?

Would be more financially challenging since flights and hotels will be more expensive than usual. But other than that, you can be assured that race logistics will be managed 5 stars standard by the Japanese...

Yup I meant more on the financially challenging aspect. Flights cost $700-800 cheapest and accommodation can be saved by staying in airbnb/guest homes but still quite significantly more than non peak. Will plan carefully! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dougs said:

Yup I meant more on the financially challenging aspect. Flights cost $700-800 cheapest and accommodation can be saved by staying in airbnb/guest homes but still quite significantly more than non peak. Will plan carefully! 

Hard to get cheap flight tickets during this period unless you get it from a promo 9 to 12 months in advance but even then it is not going to be super cheap also. So either have to take budget airlines and bear with the lesser personal space, or choose a less ideal timing where tickets are cheaper than other time slots, or just bite the bullet and pay more.

While booking airbnb/ guest homes It is also good to be mindful to choose a place where you can generally rest better, pre-race and post-race, without much disturbance. Generally I will avoid choosing those that are of lower level, poor amenities, or close to main roads. This also differs from person to person, some people can generally sleep soundly anywhere, and also sometimes it is not easy to tell from the photos if they are a good place to stay. Up to luck also. Personally still prefer to stay in a hotel.

Edited by beast
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good advice from @beast on flight and accommodation tips.

For flight details, Singapore Airlines (SQ) and Scoot TR701 offer direct flight to Osaka as for now. There are more choices If you are ok with a stopover. For this year's Osaka Marathon, more runners may choose to stay near the start/end point (Osaka Castle) for convenience, so accommodation at that area is tougher to reserve now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @beast and @trailblazer for tips. The direct flights are really ex so I might plan to redeem air miles. 

I have been to Osaka twice in recent years and I think that if you live near the subway, the traveling to start/finish point should not be an issue. 

Start time is 9am if I am not wrong so it is comfortable for traveling, similar to Tokyo Marathon which I did a few years ago. 

Anyone else going for Osaka Marathon in Dec?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dougs said:

Thanks @beast and @trailblazer for tips. The direct flights are really ex so I might plan to redeem air miles. 

I have been to Osaka twice in recent years and I think that if you live near the subway, the traveling to start/finish point should not be an issue. 

Start time is 9am if I am not wrong so it is comfortable for traveling, similar to Tokyo Marathon which I did a few years ago. 

Anyone else going for Osaka Marathon in Dec?

@dougs I did use some of my air miles to partially offset the direct flight costs, however, it is definitely worth the spending as you don't have the headache for a stopover and longer flight time.

Agree with you on the subway stations accessibility! I chose my accommodation in southern Osaka (Namba and Shinsaibashi area,) so taking the subway from shinsaibashi station to the start/finish point and also heading back to the airport was easy. 

Although the start time is 9am, you will have to be in the race corral early say before 8am. Best for you to confirm again nearer to the race date when you get the race booklet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 5:44 PM, dougs said:

Thanks @beast and @trailblazer for tips. The direct flights are really ex so I might plan to redeem air miles. 

I have been to Osaka twice in recent years and I think that if you live near the subway, the traveling to start/finish point should not be an issue. 

Start time is 9am if I am not wrong so it is comfortable for traveling, similar to Tokyo Marathon which I did a few years ago. 

Anyone else going for Osaka Marathon in Dec?

For Japan races, there is a strict rule where u have to be in your starting pens early ( like 45mins-1hr before start)... And it's really strict as I seen before that people were denied entry just 1minute past that timing given...

And also note that there are certain junctions leading to the start point where they will close off early as well and I have also seen runners being denied entry when it's like.... 1hr before starting time... So read thru the information to ensure u reached early and on time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realized that Osaka marathon happens on same weekend as Singapore marathon - maybe that’s why I don’t hear many Singaporeans go for this, as compared to Tokyo, although Tokyo is one of the majors, hence significantly more Singaporeans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 4:28 PM, AutumnRunner said:

For Japan races, there is a strict rule where u have to be in your starting pens early ( like 45mins-1hr before start)... And it's really strict as I seen before that people were denied entry just 1minute past that timing given...

And also note that there are certain junctions leading to the start point where they will close off early as well and I have also seen runners being denied entry when it's like.... 1hr before starting time... So read thru the information to ensure u reached early and on time..

Speaking wisdom from the 3-time finisher........

16 hours ago, dougs said:

Realized that Osaka marathon happens on same weekend as Singapore marathon - maybe that’s why I don’t hear many Singaporeans go for this, as compared to Tokyo, although Tokyo is one of the majors, hence significantly more Singaporeans.

I don't think SCMS is that much of a factor.. Other more plausible reasons could be cost (you have to plan to save up at least $2K for it, so not everyone can afford that, compared to say a run in Malaysia or Thailand where the cost is half or lesser), and time (end of the year, and many had over travel plans/ family commitments)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dougs said:

@beast took the plunge and registered, paid! Now to settle my flights and accom.... and training and makan itinerary etc...

Congrats... 1st step done.... enjoy the planning ahead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dougs said:

@beast took the plunge and registered, paid! Now to settle my flights and accom.... and training and makan itinerary etc...

Is this your first Japan run? I am very sure you will not regret going for it. 

For itinerary maybe you can consult the multi-time finishers @AutumnRunner and @trailblazer....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I did the Tokyo Marathon in ‘14 and have been to Osaka twice. Nevertheless, always new stuff to discover and do in Japan.

will start training and planning for this relatively cold marathon. When I did Tokyo, it was roughly 5-10 degrees with wind chill. Was snowing at one stretch as well. 

For Osaka, will expect it to be same temperature. Does anyone know if decathalon has good running gear for cold weather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dougs said:

Thanks. I did the Tokyo Marathon in ‘14 and have been to Osaka twice. Nevertheless, always new stuff to discover and do in Japan.

will start training and planning for this relatively cold marathon. When I did Tokyo, it was roughly 5-10 degrees with wind chill. Was snowing at one stretch as well. 

For Osaka, will expect it to be same temperature. Does anyone know if decathalon has good running gear for cold weather?

Osaka temp in early Dec should be 10-15? But yah I think the difference wouldn't be that significant. Likely still need to layer.

I am not familiar with running gear - Does compression wear provide some protection from the cold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Upcoming Events

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The only local race that returns 100% Refund - NTUC Income EcoRun 2020 Entry fee was the financial transaction which we agreed to take part in the race with the stipulation of R&R agreed with the organizer on the force majeure clause. Hence, I believe the new legislation can outlawed the force majeure clause... Uncle stands firmly on this because the act of force majeure is enforced in SG (revoke on the obligation of previous agreement to the force majeure clause of No Refund). Any dispute of Full Refund can now be settled with the Law Minister for consideration in this new legislation. Question is how many would want to stand up collectively? Thanks to @beast, you sounded like you can be in the legal professional. Again, any consideration of Refund is definitely good for Loyalty Participants as well as those who are on the sideline looking at how Race Organizer (aka Pink Apple Pte Ltd) responds as an obligated professional contractual service to Runners during Covid-19. Will the same professional service rendered in the past be the same in the postponed races in the future? Uncle doubted with much reservation because of the expectation that new "sanitized" races of the future will involve more administrative cost due to enhanced measures to make sure races are complied to local authority new guidelines for events. Such example could be restrictions to Events from Thousands to only Hundreds to only Tens. Then how?  In current CB, we are not to meet for any non-essential reason. Then we cannot gather even with up to 10 (That was how the second postpone due to Covid-19 was the reason). Previously was we cannot gather even with up to 250 (That was how the first postpone due to Covid-19 was the reason). 😷 A year ago in 2019...Past Event Race results for the 2XU Compression Run Singapore 2019 held April 7 have not been released due to payment issues (info - https://mybestruns.com/running-news.php/3221)     Please, none of the competitive prize money has been paid (according to the report), don't punish the runners was in 2019. Now this is the time to fulfill your contractual obligations for Full Refund in 2020 to 10,000 - 15,000 participants. If at just $70 per participant, you are obligated for up to $1 million for Full Refund...wah...no wonder under force majeure clause...what if it is revoked?
    • I view it as how well you want to argue this. For me I would actually consider our "full registration fee" as "full deposit", because the service that is promised to us was not yet delivered when we make the payment. Hence the payment can be viewed as a as a pledge of contract in the form of deposit, where we pay first and expect the service that we paid for to be delivered later.  If we can take it from that perspective, then I believe the new legislation can outlawed the force majeure clause. But of course, I am no lawyer.
    • glad to know that action has been taken...and glad to know that some here have had their refunds...locals as well as overseas... please updates...for we are here to be "awakened" because of Covid-19...how Refund process takes place...so that we can expect Post Covid-19...a policy on how long with a Refund process would be expected... The 12th edition of the the OSIM Sundown Marathon Singapore saw close to 25,000 participants...yes, agree...expect more time if all 25,000 participants would want Full Refund... if $50 on average x 25,000...factoring races from 5km to Full Marathon....wah $1.25 million....will have to be paid out.... Another Full Refund (with no option to transfer slot to 2021) is in progess will be @ NTUC Income Run 2020....3-4 more weeks outstanding...that one is about 9,000 in 2019....
    • Yes, do give them some time. The participation for Sundown is usually more than 10K. If majority requests for refund, it will definitely take time.
    • hello@sundownmaration.com (infinitus) replied to you "refund was still under administrative process"..ok 👌 uncle upgrade Sundown Marathon in 2021 from "negative" to "neutral" status for meeting the goal of participants who opt for refund instead of transfering slot to 2021..in the year 2020... very soon, we shall be saying goodbye@sundownmarathon.com in 2020....it has been a memorial sundown marathon edition...the race was cancelled..because of Covid-19. 😷
×
×
  • Create New...