Sign in to follow this  
stalky79

Osaka Marathon 2019 - 1st Dec

that sounds good !! no other major slopes anymore?

On 6/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, ayukawa22 said:

No more killer slopes at bridge lol

21 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Got the ballot.... lol

Congrats!

On 6/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, AutumnRunner said:

that sounds good !! no other major slopes anymore?

You can easily check the race route and elevation information at http://www.osaka-marathon.com/2019/info/course/index_en.html

From a first look, it seems that the start and end points (previously it was Intex) are now at Osaka Castle area, making race logistics easier also.

Agree @trailblazer... there is no more 35km slope... however the few steep slopes from 0m to 20m between 28km to 33km seemed to be quite difficult too... and not forgetting that once reached around 42km mark still need to climb back up to Osaka castle ( cause i rem it's a bit of downslope coming down from start point last time)...

Got the ballot! First marathon in Japan in 5 years. Any idea why the tickets to Osaka are so expensive during that period?

sch hols? Or too early to book? Should wait for promo?

3 hours ago, dougs said:

Got the ballot! First marathon in Japan in 5 years. Any idea why the tickets to Osaka are so expensive during that period?

sch hols? Or too early to book? Should wait for promo?

Yup school holidays. There won't be any promo (even if there is now, they will black out this period) because this is the peak season.  Some more fewer flights flying to Osaka compared to Tokyo.

Congrats and good luck for the run!

38 minutes ago, dougs said:

Thanks! If it is too logistically challenging, might have to pass

Logistically challenging? In what sense?

Would be more financially challenging since flights and hotels will be more expensive than usual. But other than that, you can be assured that race logistics will be managed 5 stars standard by the Japanese...

1 hour ago, beast said:

Logistically challenging? In what sense?

Would be more financially challenging since flights and hotels will be more expensive than usual. But other than that, you can be assured that race logistics will be managed 5 stars standard by the Japanese...

Yup I meant more on the financially challenging aspect. Flights cost $700-800 cheapest and accommodation can be saved by staying in airbnb/guest homes but still quite significantly more than non peak. Will plan carefully! 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, dougs said:

Yup I meant more on the financially challenging aspect. Flights cost $700-800 cheapest and accommodation can be saved by staying in airbnb/guest homes but still quite significantly more than non peak. Will plan carefully! 

Hard to get cheap flight tickets during this period unless you get it from a promo 9 to 12 months in advance but even then it is not going to be super cheap also. So either have to take budget airlines and bear with the lesser personal space, or choose a less ideal timing where tickets are cheaper than other time slots, or just bite the bullet and pay more.

While booking airbnb/ guest homes It is also good to be mindful to choose a place where you can generally rest better, pre-race and post-race, without much disturbance. Generally I will avoid choosing those that are of lower level, poor amenities, or close to main roads. This also differs from person to person, some people can generally sleep soundly anywhere, and also sometimes it is not easy to tell from the photos if they are a good place to stay. Up to luck also. Personally still prefer to stay in a hotel.

Edited by beast
  • Like 1

Good advice from @beast on flight and accommodation tips.

For flight details, Singapore Airlines (SQ) and Scoot TR701 offer direct flight to Osaka as for now. There are more choices If you are ok with a stopover. For this year's Osaka Marathon, more runners may choose to stay near the start/end point (Osaka Castle) for convenience, so accommodation at that area is tougher to reserve now.

Thanks @beast and @trailblazer for tips. The direct flights are really ex so I might plan to redeem air miles. 

I have been to Osaka twice in recent years and I think that if you live near the subway, the traveling to start/finish point should not be an issue. 

Start time is 9am if I am not wrong so it is comfortable for traveling, similar to Tokyo Marathon which I did a few years ago. 

Anyone else going for Osaka Marathon in Dec?

25 minutes ago, dougs said:

Thanks @beast and @trailblazer for tips. The direct flights are really ex so I might plan to redeem air miles. 

I have been to Osaka twice in recent years and I think that if you live near the subway, the traveling to start/finish point should not be an issue. 

Start time is 9am if I am not wrong so it is comfortable for traveling, similar to Tokyo Marathon which I did a few years ago. 

@dougs I did use some of my air miles to partially offset the direct flight costs, however, it is definitely worth the spending as you don't have the headache for a stopover and longer flight time.

Agree with you on the subway stations accessibility! I chose my accommodation in southern Osaka (Namba and Shinsaibashi area,) so taking the subway from shinsaibashi station to the start/finish point and also heading back to the airport was easy. 

Although the start time is 9am, you will have to be in the race corral early say before 8am. Best for you to confirm again nearer to the race date when you get the race booklet.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:44 PM, dougs said:

For Japan races, there is a strict rule where u have to be in your starting pens early ( like 45mins-1hr before start)... And it's really strict as I seen before that people were denied entry just 1minute past that timing given...

And also note that there are certain junctions leading to the start point where they will close off early as well and I have also seen runners being denied entry when it's like.... 1hr before starting time... So read thru the information to ensure u reached early and on time..

Realized that Osaka marathon happens on same weekend as Singapore marathon - maybe that’s why I don’t hear many Singaporeans go for this, as compared to Tokyo, although Tokyo is one of the majors, hence significantly more Singaporeans.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:28 PM, AutumnRunner said:

For Japan races, there is a strict rule where u have to be in your starting pens early ( like 45mins-1hr before start)... And it's really strict as I seen before that people were denied entry just 1minute past that timing given...

And also note that there are certain junctions leading to the start point where they will close off early as well and I have also seen runners being denied entry when it's like.... 1hr before starting time... So read thru the information to ensure u reached early and on time..

Speaking wisdom from the 3-time finisher........

16 hours ago, dougs said:

Realized that Osaka marathon happens on same weekend as Singapore marathon - maybe that’s why I don’t hear many Singaporeans go for this, as compared to Tokyo, although Tokyo is one of the majors, hence significantly more Singaporeans.

I don't think SCMS is that much of a factor.. Other more plausible reasons could be cost (you have to plan to save up at least $2K for it, so not everyone can afford that, compared to say a run in Malaysia or Thailand where the cost is half or lesser), and time (end of the year, and many had over travel plans/ family commitments)

@beast took the plunge and registered, paid! Now to settle my flights and accom.... and training and makan itinerary etc...

7 hours ago, dougs said:

@beast took the plunge and registered, paid! Now to settle my flights and accom.... and training and makan itinerary etc...

Congrats... 1st step done.... enjoy the planning ahead...

7 hours ago, dougs said:

Is this your first Japan run? I am very sure you will not regret going for it. 

For itinerary maybe you can consult the multi-time finishers @AutumnRunner and @trailblazer....

Thanks. I did the Tokyo Marathon in ‘14 and have been to Osaka twice. Nevertheless, always new stuff to discover and do in Japan.

will start training and planning for this relatively cold marathon. When I did Tokyo, it was roughly 5-10 degrees with wind chill. Was snowing at one stretch as well. 

For Osaka, will expect it to be same temperature. Does anyone know if decathalon has good running gear for cold weather?

2 hours ago, dougs said:

Thanks. I did the Tokyo Marathon in ‘14 and have been to Osaka twice. Nevertheless, always new stuff to discover and do in Japan.

will start training and planning for this relatively cold marathon. When I did Tokyo, it was roughly 5-10 degrees with wind chill. Was snowing at one stretch as well. 

For Osaka, will expect it to be same temperature. Does anyone know if decathalon has good running gear for cold weather?

Osaka temp in early Dec should be 10-15? But yah I think the difference wouldn't be that significant. Likely still need to layer.

I am not familiar with running gear - Does compression wear provide some protection from the cold?