lonewolf

Yellow Ribbon Prison Run 2019 - 15 Sep (Sun)

11 hours ago, starfinder said:

Why walk can continue when run is cancel Is it becos running takes in more oxygen? Either one, harm is already done nevertheless.

Because base on the Haze Advisory for level in the Unhealthy Range (101-200), healthy persons should reduce prolonged or strenuous outdoor activities. A walk would satisfy that quantification.

Of course, if you still feel it is harmful, then you should just avoid it totally.

In 2015, when the 10K run was cancelled, I did not even bother to go down to join in the 6km (it was 6K back in 2015) run/walk. 

hazy.jpg

1 hour ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

In my opinion, either they go ahead with both distances or cancel both if haze >=100 - <=200. Why partial?

Agree with you. IMO as long hits unhealthy should preferably stay indoors. But lonewolf is right they follow according to the official guidelines. For me, I will still go if hit more than 100. 

The haze damn bad now... chao tar smell and poor visibility 

updates on FB:

Dear runners, 

We understand your concerns about the current haze situation. 
Your safety remains our top priority. The organisers will adopt appropriate measures for the event in accordance to the guidelines by the National Environment Agency (NEA).

Should the 24-hour PSI be 101-200 within the unhealthy range, the event will continue but adjustments may be made to reduce strenuous outdoor activities. 

Should the 24-hour PSI exceed 200 and be within the very unhealthy range on Sunday, 15 September, the event will be cancelled and runners will be brought to the rehabilitation fair instead. 

The final decision for the various run categories will be announced by the organizing committee 2 hours before the respective flag off timings.

All updates will be posted on the Yellow Ribbon Prison Run Facebook event page, event website and participants who opted to receive updates will be informed via SMS. Participants can refer to the NEA website (www.nea.gov.sg) for the latest PSI update and haze advisories.

Fingers crossed that it’s blue skies tomorrow! We can’t wait to see all of you! #YellowRibbonPrisonRun #ChallengeYRSelf #YRSecondChances

Edited by stalky79

6 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Because base on the Haze Advisory for level in the Unhealthy Range (101-200), healthy persons should reduce prolonged or strenuous outdoor activities. A walk would satisfy that quantification.

Of course, if you still feel it is harmful, then you should just avoid it totally.

In 2015, when the 10K run was cancelled, I did not even bother to go down to join in the 6km (it was 6K back in 2015) run/walk. 

hazy.jpg

Yes I recall this. I did the same too - stayed in bed. 

The 24h PSI has been hovering between 85-90 (up to 5pm) but certain area of Singapore has already edged into the unhealthy range.

So it may still impact the 24h reading tomorrow morning. Looks like touch-n-go as of now. 

I think its highly unlikely to go beyond 200 so at least the 5K would probably go ahead. 

It still possible for the 24H PSI to reach the unhealthy range. 

I will probably go ahead and join the 5K this time if the 10K get cancelled. :crazysmile:

Not looking good... 97 as of 10pm and it is in an upward trend...

Wont go for just a 5km walk if 10km gets cancelled. Travel 3 hours for a 5km walk doesnt really make much sense.... sign up next year again...

Edited by beast

Race is on!

first say use 24hrs psi (now u healthy range) now flipped say hourly pm 2.5 is normal so they will proceed

lol

Edited by stalky79

Good call by the organizers. Weather was good. No sun at all. Enjoyed the run. Did notice the entertainment along the route didn’t seem to be as good as previous years where I recall there were drummers. Post race goodies also very basic. The Ben & Jerry ice cream was nice though. 

P.s. literally stood next to Pris Chew¬†at the start pen. She wore the ‚Äúwings‚ÄĚ on her shoe.¬†

39 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Good call by the organizers. Weather was good. No sun at all. Enjoyed the run. Did notice the entertainment along the route didn’t seem to be as good as previous years where I recall there were drummers. Post race goodies also very basic. The Ben & Jerry ice cream was nice though. 

P.s. literally stood next to Pris Chew¬†at the start pen. She wore the ‚Äúwings‚ÄĚ on her shoe.¬†

Fully agreed with you on what you have mentioned. Luckily, haze did not really hampered the race.

Enjoyed myself on a good workout. Finisher medal is nice.

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

6 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Race is on!

first say use 24hrs psi (now u healthy range) now flipped say hourly pm 2.5 is normal so they will proceed

lol

Hourly PM 2.5 is a more accurate measure of the immediate/ current air quality. I think that's the better measure to use.

I thought this run was going to be the first haze casualty this year, in the running calendar. Luckily the weather improved!

Edited by sicklycat

I knew there would be jam. So I alighted at Loyang Temple and ran up. Just nice join the runners as they turned left from Nidec. This year's exhibition is more spacious and they added QR code at each letter behind the wall. More convenient to scan and reply them.

8 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Race is on!

lol

Was a little disappointed at this miscommunication. If they had wanted to use the PM 2.5 index instead then they should not have mentioned about following the PSI index in the first place. I was following the PSI index up till 2am and decide not to go when I saw that the index is in the unhealthy zone since 11pm.

But I guess I have nobody to blame since I never checked the latest update at 5am.

Still glad that the run proceed as scheduled and the 10km runners get to enjoy their run eventually.

4 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Which one was you lol.

33 minutes ago, beast said:

Was a little disappointed at this miscommunication. If they had wanted to use the PM 2.5 index instead then they should not have mentioned about following the PSI index in the first place. I was following the PSI index up till 2am and decide not to go when I saw that the index is in the unhealthy zone since 11pm.

But I guess I have nobody to blame since I never checked the latest update at 5am.

Still glad that the run proceed as scheduled and the 10km runners get to enjoy their run eventually.

Haha, did not enjoyed my run at all... late for almost 20mins... a lot of catching up to do with the amount of walkers at the back... plus the slopes... zapped too much energy away from me

14 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

Haha, did not enjoyed my run at all... late for almost 20mins... a lot of catching up to do with the amount of walkers at the back... plus the slopes... zapped too much energy away from me

Well... at least you did go and run it... need not wait for another year to tick it off your list...

1 hour ago, stalky79 said:

I went for the 5km fun walk. Took a bus to Pasir Ris Interchange and ran from there to the starting point. When I reached the Loyang Ave/ Loyang Way junction after the Loyang Temple at around 6:45am, the traffic was already badly jam up. Many runners could be seen decided to alight at their nearest bus stop and walked. Many 10km runners did not anticipate the traffic and were late. Quite a number were so late that they had to start their run together with the 5km participants. As a result, I rewarded myself by following them into the 10km route. ūü§£

Had to say, the morning haze helped. Not too high to warrant a cancellation of the run, but enough to bring the temperature down and block off the sun.