Sign in to follow this  
Lucky_Farmer

Where should I start? A Running Coach?

Hi all, 

I am looking to train to run properly (and hoping to be able to sustain it). I am 32 and am reasonably healthy. I play football from time to time but have never done a marathon so I wish I can start one. 

Do you have any advice as to how I should start? I am inclined to train with a coach for a while to ensure the basics are right? Do you think if this is necessary or should I just put on the trainers and run? 

If you think a coach is necessary then pls can you recommend one. Many Many thanks!

@trailblazer can help.  He is a coach that uses a MAF / Pose framework

Pose method has worked very well for me and kept injury at bay. MAF will enhance your endurance. Have created direct links to the different concepts. Oh and buy shoes only after you have spoken to @trailblazer as your thoughts, what the shop thinks and what you will actually find works will be different. Welcome to the running world :)

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, Lucky_Farmer said:

Hi all, 

I am looking to train to run properly (and hoping to be able to sustain it). I am 32 and am reasonably healthy. I play football from time to time but have never done a marathon so I wish I can start one. 

Do you have any advice as to how I should start? I am inclined to train with a coach for a while to ensure the basics are right? Do you think if this is necessary or should I just put on the trainers and run? 

If you think a coach is necessary then pls can you recommend one. Many Many thanks!

@Lady Ice Thanks for helping to bump my name here. :)

@Lucky_Farmer I am also about your age and engage more in endurance activities, using both technique (POSE) and a proper lifestyle framework evaluation method (Maffetone).  One important thing to note is that being fit is not equal to healthy! 

My short profile summary: I am a contrarian by mainstream standard, however I am injury-free from exercise/running since year 2009 when I first started to reexamine my running technique. 

Back to your question,  I suggest you read this https://philmaffetone.com/method/ and do the survey questions to have a good gauge of your current health/fitness/lifestyle standard first. Next, you will want to focus on inculcating proper lifestyle habits and focusing on building a good aerobic base (the fact you play football helps to make this easier).

To me, it is good to have a plan and progress checks so that you can monitor the progressive gains! Have a good year 2019 and feel free to post your questions here. Friendly experienced runners in this forum are more than willing to help you!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, trailblazer said:

@Lady Ice Thanks for helping to bump my name here. :)

@Lucky_Farmer I am also about your age and engage more in endurance activities, using both technique (POSE) and a proper lifestyle framework evaluation method (Maffetone).  One important thing to note is that being fit is not equal to healthy! 

My short profile summary: I am a contrarian by mainstream standard, however I am injury-free from exercise/running since year 2009 when I first started to reexamine my running technique. 

Back to your question,  I suggest you read this https://philmaffetone.com/method/ and do the survey questions to have a good gauge of your current health/fitness/lifestyle standard first. Next, you will want to focus on inculcating proper lifestyle habits and focusing on building a good aerobic base (the fact you play football helps to make this easier).

To me, it is good to have a plan and progress checks so that you can monitor the progressive gains! Have a good year 2019 and feel free to post your questions here. Friendly experienced runners in this forum are more than willing to help you!

Thanks!