Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Marina Run 2019 - 23 Feb (Sat)

On 2/20/2019 at 2:49 PM, Haibei1971 said:

Thanks for the info.

I bet there is no ppl like that ramp...ūüėĄ

You are welcome.

Hi all, a friend just told me about this run so am a bit late - got to the registration page but didn't let me continue so I must have missed it by 1 minute! Does anyone know if it is still possible to enter for the 21k?

47 minutes ago, wlshr said:

Hi all, a friend just told me about this run so am a bit late - got to the registration page but didn't let me continue so I must have missed it by 1 minute! Does anyone know if it is still possible to enter for the 21k?

image.thumb.png.a6be87f8b125a777db41e8b8a735ac23.png

Probably you may want to check with the organizer on FB?

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

Not many took part in this race I guess...

WHY YOU GUESS THAT? KNOW-?

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

I was in the run, I guess total ppl in 21k/30k likely less than one thousand 

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

1 hour ago, Haibei1971 said:

I was in the run, I guess total ppl in 21k/30k likely less than one thousand 

I took part. Better to join this than those super crowded events.

I took part in it.

Admittedly, the route is the same old boring route as SG Marathon and one that could have run even without the organiser's help. Not many people ran both the 21km and 30km..which is good.

The singlet and finisher tee are just ugly.

They had a huge bus-sing problem. At 550 pm, the queue at Kallang was about 200 m long and there was this guy shouting at the crowd machiam like a CSM that the bus interval is 20 min. This irked some of the already frustrated people in the queue. This resulted in many people to be late for the race.

I gave up the queue and drove there. Surprisingly, plenty of parking space. And the bus that was supposed to pick up people at the front end of the queue was not even there yet.

Edited by davidtkl

Sounds like I didn't miss much then! Ended up just running East Coast anyway. Saw the runners come through later and they had to weave through pedestrians. Not ideal conditions for a race.

The 10km runners seemed to be around a thousand maybe... there is not 1 wave and not many runners when I look around... I guess maybe 5km has more runners...

4 hours ago, davidtkl said:

They had a huge bus-sing problem.

Agreed. I arrived at Stadium MRT station ExitB at 5:15PM, saw a long queue, then my friend and I decided to walk to the start point, not too far actually, regardless of the sunshine. We arrived there at 5:40PM.

Proof positive that a lot of people really have short term memories when it comes to races.

The same problem crop up every year - shuttle bus, bag deposit, route management, hydration etc 

Yet thousands continue to sign up. So either they are new to the game, really dun follows this forum or dun really care about the problems.

That's how a sub-par mediocre race organiser like Epic-ESR can continue organising this race despite the myriad of issues every year. And it seem this race alone is enough to fund the company operations for the entire year cos they dun seem to organise any other races for the rest of the year. 

1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

Proof positive that a lot of people really have short term memories when it comes to races.

The same problem crop up every year - shuttle bus, bag deposit, route management, hydration etc 

Yet thousands continue to sign up. So either they are new to the game, really dun follows this forum or dun really care about the problems.

That's how a sub-par mediocre race organiser like Epic-ESR can continue organising this race despite the myriad of issues every year. And it seem this race alone is enough to fund the company operations for the entire year cos they dun seem to organise any other races for the rest of the year. 

Hi Bro Lonewolf, I think you are too hard on Epic-ESR. I dont think they are as bad as you describe.

Epic ESR organized SG Run 2018, so it is not true that they only organized 1 race a year. In fact, I joined this race because of my positive experience in that race previously. I also joined this race because of the price ($48 early bird, and i think i had an additional promo code cos of participation in SG Run 2018 which reduced the price further). This is cheap compared to other comparable events such as performance series.

I took a grab to the event site, so I was not affected by the buses going to the flag off, so i cant comment on that. I only took the bus after the event back to the sports hub and felt that the wait was reasonable.  

Overall, a fun experience. Route distance was accurate based on my Garmin and from other people's strava posts. Race pack collection was fast and efficient. Flag off started on time. A manageable crowd size (maybe about 1K runners in the 10K category?), and a nice chunky medal. What more can anybody want? Only negative comment are that the route crosses such that runners running one way has to cut the path of returning runners after the U-turn, but other than that for me, it was a cost effective and good experience. 

4 hours ago, warp9wb said:

Hi Bro Lonewolf, I think you are too hard on Epic-ESR. I dont think they are as bad as you describe.

Epic ESR organized SG Run 2018, so it is not true that they only organized 1 race a year. In fact, I joined this race because of my positive experience in that race previously. I also joined this race because of the price ($48 early bird, and i think i had an additional promo code cos of participation in SG Run 2018 which reduced the price further). This is cheap compared to other comparable events such as performance series.

I took a grab to the event site, so I was not affected by the buses going to the flag off, so i cant comment on that. I only took the bus after the event back to the sports hub and felt that the wait was reasonable.  

Overall, a fun experience. Route distance was accurate based on my Garmin and from other people's strava posts. Race pack collection was fast and efficient. Flag off started on time. A manageable crowd size (maybe about 1K runners in the 10K category?), and a nice chunky medal. What more can anybody want? Only negative comment are that the route crosses such that runners running one way has to cut the path of returning runners after the U-turn, but other than that for me, it was a cost effective and good experience. 

Epic ESR only organized this run for the entire year in 2016 and earlier. I don't think they were making much money with SG Run, as my understanding is that the takeup rate is very low.

I think the run had more than 5,000 runners in the initial years but by the looks of it the number has dropped more than half as of this year. So I guess many had made the choice of boycotting this run from the past logistics issues. Yet there are also still a group who still continue to support due to:
- One of the Sat evening 21km and 30km runs which are still not so common
- They are fast and so the routes don't appear crowded, and hydration are sufficient
- Not affected by shuttle bus and baggage issues as they don't utilize them.
- Using the run as a motivation to get back from the CNY break /feasting. This run has always been strategically placed just right after CNY.

To each his own. If anyone feels good with the how the run is being organized, then by all means continue to support it. 

Edited by beast

21 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

The 10km runners seemed to be around a thousand maybe... there is not 1 wave and not many runners when I look around... I guess maybe 5km has more runners...

No race review?

The result is out !

10KM MENS OPEN 910
10KM WOMENS OPEN 764
21KM MENS OPEN 354
21KM MENS VETERAN 364
21KM WOMENS OPEN 180
21KM WOMENS VETERAN 94
30KM MENS OPEN 141
30KM MENS VETERAN 197
30KM WOMENS OPEN 71
30KM WOMENS VETERAN 65

Total competitive runners are 3140

Total runners = competitive + 5KM FUN RUN  = 4K+ ?

Every competitive runners have Finisher Tee, Finisher Medal and eCertificate (Consistent Trinity Run) as well as nice "Saturday Night Fever" run...

Edited by activerun

13 hours ago, lonewolf said:

This is why I have significantly reduced the number of paid runs I take part in. Year in year out, the organisers keep having the same issues. 

Nowadays, I plan my own route and have certain points such as petrol kiosk or convenience store where I can hydrate. Best of all, no need to wake up odd hours after a late night out.

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2019 at 12:21 PM, beast said:

No race review?

heee… nope...partly cause I did not pay for this race and also cause I didn't come early or stay on to take photos of the race thus I felt I did not see or hear enough to write the race review.... the next race review is coming in 2-3 weeks time.... stay tuned...

Edited by AutumnRunner

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2019 at 9:36 PM, AutumnRunner said:

heee… nope...partly cause I did not pay for this race and also cause I didn't come early or stay on to take photos of the race thus I felt I did not see or hear enough to write the race review.... the next race review is coming in 2-3 weeks time.... stay tuned...

I will always hold you to what you have said about why you wanted to start a running blog, and that is to record truthfully first hand experience of the runs you took part, so that future runners can read about what exactly happened to the runs in the past.

To that regard, you have my respects as I know how hard it is to maintain a public blog, having maintained one myself many years ago when blogging was the fad.

I guess I couldn't help feeling disappointed when you gave "excuses" not to complete a race review of a run you took part in.  It's like you have a noble story behind something you do, which in return earns you respect, but you don't uphold it yourself and you lose that same respect.

But hey its your blog, You don't owe anyone anything. Even the few souls who support what you have been doing all along.

Edited by beast

On 3/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, beast said:

I will always hold you to what you have said about why you wanted to start a running blog, and that is to record truthfully first hand experience of the runs you took part, so that future runners can read about what exactly happened to the runs in the past.

To that regard, you have my respects as I know how hard it is to maintain a public blog, having maintained one myself many years ago when blogging was the fad.

I guess I couldn't help feeling disappointed when you gave "excuses" not to complete a race review of a run you took part in.  It's like you have a noble story behind something you do, which in return earns you respect, but you don't uphold it yourself and you lose that same respect.

But hey its your blog, You don't owe anyone anything. Even the few souls who support what you have been doing all along.

dun worry @beast, my public blog which earns me $0 is still up and running and I was probably too tied up to write the blog on Sat night. sunday was a day full of activities too that weekend. 

And thanks for the compliments too!!