Sign in to follow this  
prisangel

OSIM Sundown Marathon - 1 June 2019

I think being such a popular brand, Infinitius should really ensure these important priorities are being set and ensured covered. There is no point in having a 'happening' race village if basic stuff is not done right.

Posted (edited)

Uncle shall end this forum thread on the Technical Issues (some are also Human issues) on "We Remembered Sundown 2019":

1. Qualifying Time is never having using "Cut-off" Time to comply to TP Road Closure rules of re-opening of Traffic after the time (7am). If there is the need to extend beyond 7am, organiser must write-in on application (weeks ago) to explain. Permission or not for extension beyond 7am, only nearing to the event, approval or rejection, it is always "pending". From previous "cut-off" time, only and always the last wave or final details for participants are affected because to be ready for 7am road opening (for example), "cut-off" time can be as early as 5:30am, 6am or even 6:30am. So, if you were to be "cut off" even at 25km or 35km checkpoints, it is known that, hydration stations further on are "closed". You would have been told you did not meet Qualifying Time. DNF is rightfully and fairly served to you. The start time (delayed) will never be considered, because the TP Rules must be complied. If local race always have this Qualification Time with the condition of "Cut-off" time, this is a never Fair to a paid Runner who is always possible able to Qualify for 8 hours or even 7.5 hours for SCSM.  

2. If there are more hydration points, then more manpower, more logistics to clear away, and consequenly, hydration stations must be closed earlier, all for the sake of "cut-off" time as explained with relations to item 1.

3. Budget means sufficient hydration stations must be always staked up (whether Water, Electrolytes, Energy Gel and Bananas) and also, the distribution point must be long enough to cater to the needs many (tens/hundreds/thousands) to avoid congestion. This Sundown 2019, there are not enough hydration points to begin with. What is supposed to be there is never there at all.  Is this a low budget race? If it is, show all and be transparent of what you ordered and what you claim that you tried to replenish instead of apologizing to the public. Uncle wants to know where are the bananas that were to be rightfully ordered? Unless the monkeys ate them before arrival.

4. Park Connectors are part of the route. Narrow tracks of Park Connectors for a mega sized event of 10,000 must also be considered. Many times, capturing of Runners pictures by public in races, running out of the tracks, or even run along the roads against the traffic, because the tracks are too narrowed for running. Once, in a major run event, to have hundreds of runners "captured" waiting for steps going to the park connector along Nicoll Highway, that is a classic example "why a race route became a narrow staircase" as evidenced at the Kallang Park to Kallang Road. Same the path along the Bridge along Kallang Road.

5. Embarrassing moments, not enough PortaLoos available, and in this Sundown 2019, if there are no public toilets available along ECP or at Gardens By The Bay East, many dark human shadows would been seen "relieving" themselves in scanty bushes, and what if the need to "shit"? The night provides natural modesty and privacy cover. DIY portaloo style, 101 ways, we don't deserve to have them.

6. Hot and Humidity condition is always there in local races. What else will the weather help to all run faster? Cooler with Breeze and wind, and how to lower humidity the fastest, only heavy rainstorm (often come with thunders). Sundown is always scheduled during inter-monsoonal season...very Hot and Humid, very wet and thunderstorm. 2019 is very Hot and Humid with occasional showers. What is your backup plan in case there is Wet and Thunderstorm Weather?

7. Technology is a must, a "live" apps for the race. Where is the next hydration point? Where is the U-turn? Yes, budget for IT: Smart Race for Smart Runners. This "live" apps must also take weather into consideration. Alert when there is a need to.

8. If Registration is based on Qualifying Time for Pen A-B-C, then it will really be "bo chap" - meaning ignored, because after knowing you have read from items 1 and 2, "cut-off" time is only for the Pen C last waves. Also, it is always expected that there would never be assured of sufficient Water, Electrolyte Drinks, Bananas if you are in Pen C last waves. Why bother to register to start from Pen C? 

Don't be Kumkong (A phase that is coined from KumPong "village" and kong "gong" as in a local dialect meaning "stupid and gullible"). Be smart. We had been already kumkong (#1) paid to drink toilet water and kumkong (#2) paid to be "Cut off" in this kumkong (#3) race with no race apps? 

Let's be less kumkong again in Sundown 2020. As for Infinitius, please wake up from your kumkong mistakes, you are an embarrassment to the Running Community.

Edited by kohpapa
  • Haha 1

Water is a must at the hydration station. Runners want to run with ease without having to put on a hydration pack or bottle belt. This is not a trail run.

Gels are only secondary. In small packets, they can still be easily brought along by runners.

Hopefully, they will learn from this episode and give next yr's edition a boast. Not very good to have foreign runners flying in to have a bad experience from one of the more popular local race.

Thank you to kohpapa for the very detailed no give chance comments.

This is very informative, much better than reading all the reviews.

Unfortunately, the trend of we runners being treated like kumgong will remain, pay full $ something like 6 months upfront, without knowing any further details. This practice is very much like crowdfunding, interested party (runners) fund the project (running events) but final product may deviate.

42 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

Thank you to kohpapa for the very detailed no give chance comments.

This is very informative, much better than reading all the reviews.

Unfortunately, the trend of we runners being treated like kumgong will remain, pay full $ something like 6 months upfront, without knowing any further details. This practice is very much like crowdfunding, interested party (runners) fund the project (running events) but final product may deviate.

I like this analogy haha.

Doesn't matter if organiser is inexperienced or not.

Just that hydration is the most basic thing an race organiser must get this right. What if because of no water, then runners faint? How is the organiser going to answer to the public?

As for the late flag off, it could be due to really got onstruction on the route, VIP late or the hydration stations havent fully set up, thus tried to buy some time,

Sounds like Sundown 2019 is worse than Sundown 2017..

Just waiting for a fatal incident to happen before the organizers and government wake up and start imposing stricter rules to enforce there is ample support for these runs.  No fatalities to make a big hoo ha, no improvements will be made. 

But the chances of that is low as its a mass event - if really someone indeed starts to collapse due to dehydration, I am sure the runners around that runner will be ready to action in time to provide whatever water and first aid they have with them.

5 hours ago, beast said:

I like this analogy haha.

Yes it is one of my pet peeves too. Sign up without knowing the route etc. I suppose it’s a chicken and egg thing. Organizers wanna start registration as will take long time for route to be approved (and maybe, just maybe if not enough people sign up then change route or cancel the route closure application). On their hand, some participants won’t sign up until details are known. 

7 hours ago, yh90 said:

Doesn't matter if organiser is inexperienced or not.

Just that hydration is the most basic thing an race organiser must get this right. What if because of no water, then runners faint? How is the organiser going to answer to the public?

As for the late flag off, it could be due to really got onstruction on the route, VIP late or the hydration stations havent fully set up, thus tried to buy some time,

Sounds like Sundown 2019 is worse than Sundown 2017..

2017 was my first 

2019 will be my last

lol

2016 was my first but I was sick around the race days

2017 so called second time registering and first time running. Quite an ok experience as far as the race management, managed to collect from the vending machine so totally missed out on the RECP debacle.

2018 second time running, great experience

2019 registered but need to carried out night work during the race night. 

In the beginning I assumed HiVe is sucks because they were focus on the gimmick stuff and not the core running event. Now Infinitus seems just plain unprepared. 

On 6/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, wonderfulblevic said:

It was quite windy and not as hot as I feared. For bananas, I was in earlier wave and manage to help myself to one each at each station. But I didn’t see that many lying around to be honest (like in cartons). Maybe the supply was limited. Did anyone see gels? I didn’t see any. Only some energy bars or something? And some tube-like thing. Didn’t take in case stomach upset cos never tried before this Mule(?) brand. 

Very generous with giving out the pocari and water at the finish. I took 2 pocari and 2 bottles of water. The volunteers were literally urging me to take more. If they have so much stock, maybe should have allocated more to the stations along the route. 

Lastly the massage place is really obscure even if it’s just next to the medal chute. I asked a security he pointed me to a place where it’s just the OSIM foot massage thing. Asked the OSIM volunteers wearing yellow tee there and they said don’t have lie down on table kind. In the end I found it myself cos I spied some table legs beneath the half shut shutters at F1 pit. It was literally just next to the foot massage place and the OSIM volunteers didn’t even know oh my god. The masseurs inside were very free! So many empty tables. I enjoyed a good long massage of my calves. First time massage service no business!

Finally I recall my password and able to login to post!

Survived the run as I had a water bottle with me. Allocated Pen C so thought of holding to the bottle until "don't feel like carrying it anymore" then find a trash bin to throw. But the 2nd water point was 'so disappointing as took forever to reach', so kept the water bottle and it saved the day, can top-up and drink any time. 

"And some tube-like thing." is the gel - first time try this brand, no issue. 

What time did you had your massage? So sad, I missed the massage, will usually go and queue after a HM/FM run. It was already raining when I completed (5:30 +-), I did look out for it, and saw a big sign but the area is covered up one le. And I don't see a long queue sticking out. So I thought maybe the massage close shop liao (it must have started for HM runners). And so many runners sit/stand around for shelter from the rain, wasn't sure how to reach that covered section also. Sundown massage is usually good, it's still the experienced ones or student volunteers trained just for the event ?  If it's the experienced ones, then what a pity. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pebbles said:

Finally I recall my password and able to login to post!

Survived the run as I had a water bottle with me. Allocated Pen C so thought of holding to the bottle until "don't feel like carrying it anymore" then find a trash bin to throw. But the 2nd water point was 'so disappointing as took forever to reach', so kept the water bottle and it saved the day, can top-up and drink any time. 

"And some tube-like thing." is the gel - first time try this brand, no issue. 

What time did you had your massage? So sad, I missed the massage, will usually go and queue after a HM/FM run. It was already raining when I completed (5:30 +-), I did look out for it, and saw a big sign but the area is covered up one le. And I don't see a long queue sticking out. So I thought maybe the massage close shop liao (it must have started for HM runners). And so many runners sit/stand around for shelter from the rain, wasn't sure how to reach that covered section also. Sundown massage is usually good, it's still the experienced ones or student volunteers trained just for the event ?  If it's the experienced ones, then what a pity. 

I had my massage around 4.30am? The entrance is just next to the place you collected your medal. Once you walked out to the public area, you would have walked past the small entrance. That’s why I said it’s obscure. I saw a mixture of ages. Mine was a young man. But from his strokes, I can tell he is a trained person. He can feel where there was a tough knot in my left calve and spent a lot of time and attention on it. So he wasn’t just going through motion. Maybe he had the luxury of time also cos really, the beds were like 20% filled. Also, maybe the champs league was screening so less runners looking for massage. 

Edited by wonderfulblevic

Do you all notice there are so few race photos posted in their FB. Is there anywhere else they may have posted the photos?

18 hours ago, starfinder said:

Do you all notice there are so few race photos posted in their FB. Is there anywhere else they may have posted the photos?

you can check it on "running shots" on FB.

8 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

you can check it on "running shots" on FB.

Thanks Bro.

It is strange Sundown did not provide sufficient photographs for the race despite the expensive fees. Surely they couldn't take more than a month to publish all photos if there are? 2xu was better in this aspect.