Sign in to follow this  
prisangel

OSIM Sundown Marathon - 1 June 2019

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, starfinder said:

Imo, even if SCSM goes as an evening run, sundown will still have its fair share of supporters as the activities and more importantly, timings of the run are different. Runners probably wouldn't mind going without sleep to run a marathon once a year.

Just like so many other races which share the same routes, we still sign up and attend, isn't it (LOL)?

I rather not lose sleep if I can help it. Breaks the daily momentum and have to adjust back.

Would prefer something like a 3 or 4am flag off timing for FM so I get to finish the run in the sun, but I understand some runners can't sleep early and wake up early,  so they will lose even more sleep with it.

Edited by beast

Posted (edited)

Rise and Shine, for in next 12 hours, we shall be in Sundown and Midnight run for another Sundown Marathon (FM) starts 1130pm...

30++ C and slightly 90% humidity, condition is cloudy, cooler, and every drop in humidity and chance of windy condition to promote sweating (instead of sticky sweat and never evaporates like in previous nights) will be easier runs for all.

Tanjong Rhu with massive construction is lesser, and bright enough for all. In the past, uncle runs on the grass patches to run away from the narrow cement tracks, but cannot do so this time, because these grass patches are now "cemented", and so cannot avoid those that chose to walk on the tracks, anyway (13-15km)...otherwise, once the FM is into ECP...hope there is breeze (south/southwest) can cool us and lesser humidity (drier) will means all can run faster and with proper hydration (and nutrition later) banana and others gel at stns 14km and 37km...

In the past, we got free coke and sour candies by running clubs. But again, Uncle is on "reminiscence" run of past Sundowns, so whether there is the "feel" once again, why not. Once, I ran along a lady who wore new pair of shoes for her first marathon. At the turnaround at the ECP, she limped and end up we walked back to the ending point. Good thing uncle could motivate and talked for hours, of course, it was a ending with hugging with congratulations at end point lol.

Again, have a good run for those in Sundown 2019. Cheers.

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Yes, humidity is at 80s and below, meaning great for run.

However, expect showers later...

14l0lc6.jpg

Have a safe, and cool (and wet conditions from the south/southeasterly inter-monsoonal period) run...

Uncle has always believed that Sundown runs are full of unpredictable conditions...either very hot and humid...or very cool and wet with thunderstorms (being in 2 before in the series)...hope this one is not, but, take shelters if there is, and alert from the organizer for lightning cat 1...

Cheers, and see you at the race route. ?

Edited by kohpapa

woo....cool and breezy...cloudy (not rain clouds after all)...yes, humidity has dropped into 70s...meaning...good to run for all...

looking forward to my dinner soon...still got 4 hours to go...

Year In year out,

idiots who want to be in the front pls come early. Don’t be late and still squeeze through the crowds 

Seriously, the etiquette for runners in Singapore is getting bad to worse.

So many runners hogging the with entire width of the running area, some walking on the extreme right and what is it with people wanting to take selfie in the middle of the race?

Someone was shouting for walkers to keep to the right but the runners / hoggers just kept ignoring him.

Posted (edited)

Super humid sia, flagged off delayed by 20mins... I was in wave 2...

the 2nd or 3rd hydration point  DAMN FAR apart sia... perspiring liao

my Garmin 935 measured 21.39km... lol

Edited by stalky79

I was in the first wave, somehow either the marshals or top runners made a mistake at Nicholl highway. After Republic Ave, then turn left go up to Nicholl HW, people should  have taken the left side lane towards City Hall direction, then after u-turn, all the way towards Stadium direction. Unfortunately, the first wave people ran on the right side lane at Nicoll highway, definitely after u-turn the top runners met conflict with the slow runners in the circled area. 

This mistake was corrected when wave B arrived. So after u-turn, I saw more and more wave B people running towards us, we were definitely running on the wrong side of the road, then people had to crossed the fence and ran the correct direction.

Other things... all good. ??

sundown-marathon-2019-21KM route - Copy.png

3 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

I was in the first wave, somehow either the marshals or top runners made a mistake at Nicholl highway. After Republic Ave, then turn left go up to Nicholl HW, people should  have taken the left side lane towards City Hall direction, then after u-turn, all the way towards Stadium direction. Unfortunately, the first wave people ran on the right side lane at Nicoll highway, definitely after u-turn the top runners met conflict with the slow runners in the circled area. 

This mistake was corrected when wave B arrived. So after u-turn, I saw more and more wave B people running towards us, we were definitely running on the wrong side of the road, then people had to crossed the fence and ran the correct direction.

Other things... all good. ??

sundown-marathon-2019-21KM route - Copy.png

Yah becoz of this stupid mistake , I missed my hydration station. Idiots 

Wave C runners had it worse.

1. Delay flagged off for about 20 to 30 mins with no reason given. Cut off time was not extended so added pressure for us. Also saw checkpoints at 34km and 39km which I suppose runners who did not cross by 6am and 7am respectively will not be allowed to continue.

2. Hydration stations ran out of water or closed shop. I counted there were probably about 8 such cases so for runners who never bring money to buy drinks from vending machines they suffer long distances without water.

3. The lanes with the 21km runners were horribly short. Not only were they only 1 or 2 lanes wide, the walkers made things worse.

And lastly who came up with the design of the finisher medal? It was really bad. And to suffer several hours for a cheapo piece of plastic is really demoralizing.

Actually pardon me to ask something, if its the same route, same scenery, yet price keep increasing, goodie bag basically has advertisement papers, and the standard always not there, why u guys dun give it a miss?

I stopped Sundown sometime back, not bec its night time and i feel sleepy to run  but its basically the same route, same scenery, and certainly most important the standard is not there! U guys actually can give runs a miss one, does'nt mean every race in Singapore u have to run.

Sometimes running a bad race, makes u more angry. Save up some of the local race money and venture overseas, u get to see different culture, different route and a whole new experience !

Posted (edited)

uncle is back, washed and eaten...dozed off...

Read your comments, first the route, same like previous series, except the entry road to former GasStation just before entering into the Kallang Park Connector was uncle's first experience.  I must say that the renovated Tanjong Rhu Park Connector was good and well lit (LEDs). Same with the ECP, LEDs are so bright (maybe because of the Sundown Event). Not so with Kallang Park Connector (pitch black at some places).

There are only 3 Pens, A-B-C. So, I was told, pick B better so you can start earlier. Yes, you will not likely to be cut off like in Pen C. Uncle B Pen start is Wave 3, so delay 10 minutes after Wave 2. As shared by , Wave 1 also have a 10min wait (Safety issue).  So, Uncle was made to wait for almost 30 minutes. Hosts of event must apologise to all waves who start later. Yap yap all the way...runners' patience actually is showing enough is enough.

Crew, ok. team leaders with supporting team. Like crew at construction site who wishes Good Morning and even tell time and motivating wishes.

Hydration points are really a disappointment. Seems that they pick a location, convenient to them, and regardless where is the next Hydration Point.. Start with 1st Km hydration point, and next one is 5km away for the Nicoll Highway Run. I still preferred 2km Water, 2 km Electrolyte Drinks. Yes, Bananas no stock at 14km for FM under the Bridge at Tanjong Rhu side entering into the Garden By the Bay East. The next Makan time (crackers, sour sweet, choco snack) is at 26Km (U Turn from ECP). Followed by 36Km for the usual Nutrition (Banana and Gels).

Uncle gives the route thumbs up..But, the rest especially the screwups as stated, and the cut off times, and why there is no hydration points when we need them, and as the weather suddenly turned hot and humid, no pocari.

Uncle had the impression that better next time bring your own hydration and nutrition for Sundown, because it seems that, we have no idea what station is ahead (all signs say hydration up ahead, but we don't know how far are the stations). Uncle had always have loose change for the vendor machines for my top-up of hydration and nutrition, because I really don't know what else is "don't have - like banana or Pocari"...hungry and angry by participants whom uncle talked to.

This event, Hosts claimed less than 10,000 for both HM and FM.

Edited by kohpapa

I was in the last wave which started only 0030 hrs with slight drizzle.  Super delayed! Those going for FM will be stressed.

At certain places with 1 lane,  too congested with runners from both FM & HM.

Hydration points were run out of water & Pocari, bananas & energy gels from 9 Km till 15 Km. Nothing! How can this be?

Best thing was my friend was given 10 Km finisher medal instead of HM! What a joke sia... Lucky my friend checked & exchanged for the correct one.

One of my friend got stopped at 35k mark and asked to board sweeper bus 

'My first DNF for Sundown marathon 2019, I was totally devastated and emotionally down right now.

I was stop at 34.88km, 5hrs and 55mins into the race not being able to continue due to a 6am closure.'

FB_IMG_1559440034349.jpg

Posted (edited)

I believe I saw the Sweeper Bus (dark red) parked at the Construction Site just after exiting from ECP route.  Soory about your friend's first DNF for Sundown Marathon, tell you friend to next time when register for Sundown, go for Pen A or B...surely no DNF, and save the embarrassment of actually if there is no road closure, your friend would have completed on own's merit. Don't know if your friend still really want to go for Sundown since this is not even a Qualification Race like SCSM.

At the Starting Point, it was true that drizzles at F1 began to upset and worry many thousands who have yet to start and that was already 12 midnight. Blah blah blah, updates, road is not clear, safety issue. Wonder if they have factored in on the delay start which they have caused into those that really do not need to deserve DNF. Anywhere, is there a Timer to remind, or notice to inform, or just waiting for all come out from ECP and be told, "Sorry folks, the road is closed, try harder next year!"

End point, uncle was happy with SCSM, collection of medals and tees is so reachable. Collection of drinks, banana and crackers after were just from the tents beside, extend all the way to F1. This Sundown one must go for another 100m stretch to reach end point, and walked further to get Beverages of Water and Pocari (and of course, no more Bananas wondered where have they disappeared to?), and another 100m to go F1 to collect medals and tees (no comments on the entitlements, since uncle felt that finishing tee is really "ugly" and the medal can be used for coaster for my kopi cup).

As a goodwill for the free bib, uncle shall return them  to my friend who was injured and still remained "injured" for Goldcoast Marathon. Uncle was asked, "Want free bib to run Goldcoast Marathon or not?" Uncle replied, "Does it come with free air ticket and accommodations?"

Edited by kohpapa

Seems a lot of bad experience encountered.

Frankly, as long as the routes are in F1 Pit or GBTB East, they will always be more or less the same. Unless you are running SCSM where you may run some new routes as the event is endorsed in part by the government. 

As for the sweeper bus, I may kena this during the SCSM as I am in the last pen and hampered by knee pain. But I believe I would still continue in my own capacity and complete the race, even if it is more than 7.30 hr.

11 minutes ago, starfinder said:

As for the sweeper bus, I may kena this during the SCSM as I am in the last pen and hampered by knee pain. But I believe I would still continue in my own capacity and complete the race, even if it is more than 7.30 hr.

Why run with an injury? ? Health is more important.

It was quite windy and not as hot as I feared. For bananas, I was in earlier wave and manage to help myself to one each at each station. But I didn’t see that many lying around to be honest (like in cartons). Maybe the supply was limited. Did anyone see gels? I didn’t see any. Only some energy bars or something? And some tube-like thing. Didn’t take in case stomach upset cos never tried before this Mule(?) brand. 

Very generous with giving out the pocari and water at the finish. I took 2 pocari and 2 bottles of water. The volunteers were literally urging me to take more. If they have so much stock, maybe should have allocated more to the stations along the route. 

Lastly the massage place is really obscure even if it’s just next to the medal chute. I asked a security he pointed me to a place where it’s just the OSIM foot massage thing. Asked the OSIM volunteers wearing yellow tee there and they said don’t have lie down on table kind. In the end I found it myself cos I spied some table legs beneath the half shut shutters at F1 pit. It was literally just next to the foot massage place and the OSIM volunteers didn’t even know oh my god. The masseurs inside were very free! So many empty tables. I enjoyed a good long massage of my calves. First time massage service no business!

1 hour ago, K!m said:

Why run with an injury? ? Health is more important.

Thanks for your concern Bro. I have been doing HM and it is still manageable. Just wanna attempt a FM, a big leap. I got 5 months plus to somehow overcome this.