Sign in to follow this  
prisangel

OSIM Sundown Marathon - 1 June 2019

On 12/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, prisangel said:

I'm doing the London Marathon on April 28th.

With that in mind, do you guys recommend I should do HM or FM for the Sundown?

4 weeks apart should be ok... go for pb in London then come back run relax fOr SD

On 12/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

@AutumnRunneryou are such a fast runner so i don't think will stretch till that time. Lol...

Not true... running a marathon is really a long dist... any one item that isn't align can cause everything to fall apart... so it's really hard to say...

22 hours ago, beast said:

For the past 2 years you said no more FM for sundown. But during sign up you still go for FM anyway.

I don't think anyone can give you good advice on that. Just follow your heart. London Marathon is a non-issue since its 4 weeks apart, more than enough time to recover already.

Just like a runner did first marathon and say will never do another FM le, in the end still sign up.HAHA

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

Just like a runner did first marathon and say will never do another FM le, in the end still sign up.HAHA

When I completed my first SDM FM in 2014 (overall 2nd FM), I told myself that I was not going to run another SDM FM. And I never did.

I did run the HM in 2015 but had not run any SDM since then because of the awful medal they were giving. 

6 hours ago, lonewolf said:

because of the awful medal they were giving.

The medal in 2017 is really awful... 

Thank You HiVelocity for initiated the first Adidas Sundown Marathon in 2008. As long as I live with LORD's will, I try to complete 100 marathons as achieved by uncle Chan.

I am poor so only can run local marathons to achieve this dream that seems possible with more run such as back to back FM in coming 50 hours non stop run.

Run Can Not Wait but Sleep Can Wait lah!

uncle returned to this forum thread is not to begrudge on the HiVelocity woes (not financial or otherwise and be OMGs)...but, let those who were once loyal local participants of HiVelocity Sundown Marathons ( @Activerun and many who had been here in this Forum Thread since as sgRunners early as 2004 and before)... yes, we thank you, HiVelocity...for almost all of us who started our Marathons countdown from 0...it was our first FM or first FM (Night only)

because they had been with us for 10 years and more, and when suddenly, we now have a new event management team, all here were surprised and stunned...we reminiscent on the good old days ..marathon events were community runs, overhead bridges, housing estates, changi exhibition road (aviation road), changi coast road..and the Medals must be ELM  if not, Wait and See...if got Early Birds even cheaper than the first-time offer..and yes, got, pay like $5 lesser with promotion code...of course, uncle ran free bib with sponsor's spot..many times..

so uncle summed up (KISS) with this article, and perhaps some feedback on when sundown marathon (HeVelocity) wanted to spread its wings abroad...there were some issues (heresay) and how HiVelocity is no longer with Sundown Marathon (what happened? remained unclear)...but, again, HiVelocity can always return in the future...but, for many newbies and had joined us...so who is (was) HiVelocity of Sundown Marathon?

zwj98k.jpg

Extracted on the final year when HiVelocity hosted and organised the Sundown Marathon Edition 2016 (press conference):

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/sundown-marathon-spreads-its-wings

2zyy6gj.jpg

extracted major notable statments only:

Said Adrian Mok, the managing director of HiVelocity Events, which organises the Sundown Marathon: "We have been planning to go regional for quite some time, and with Sundown celebrating its 10th year, it is timely for us to go abroad to reach out to more people in different countries.

"It's the first time a night marathon from Singapore is venturing abroad, and we will mark this milestone with our first overseas launches in Penang and Taipei."

The Penang edition of the event on Dec 17 will feature three categories - 5km, 10km and 21.1km. The race will be flagged off at Queensbay Mall in Bayan Lepas.

The *Taipei race will be held on Jan 14 (2017) at the Dajia Riverside Park, and participants can choose to run the 5km, 10km, 23km or 42.195km categories.

With an estimated 130 running events held locally this year (2016), a statistic obtained from running interest group Run Society, Deloitte South-east Asia's head of sports business service line James Walton is analysing the Sundown Marathon's expansion with interest.

Walton believes the Sundown Marathon has two factors in its favour - it offers the full marathon category, and the overnight element of the race.

Currently, it is one of two full marathons in Singapore alongside the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore.

Said Walton: "The Singapore market is definitely saturated with runs - one of the common complaints is that there are only so many places you can run in Singapore, and it's always the same.

"Sundown still has a niche status because of the fact that it has a full marathon, which is not common in Singapore.

"Secondly, the idea of wanting to beat the sunrise has also helped in its popularity."

But the success of the Sundown Marathon's overseas races, especially in Penang, would ultimately depend on the city as a tourist destination, said Walton.

"If there was a brand new race in Singapore, you could easily fill a race because of the large local running scene," he said.

"If you hold an international race in somewhere like Penang, it starts from being a tourist experience - so that's about package deals and tying up with hotels to get people to come and take part in the event from around Malaysia and the region."

Mok is hoping to build a base of fans based on the popularity of the marathon in Singapore.

He said: "The experience that we have with the Singapore event is that we've drawn fans who are very loyal to our event - they want the finisher T-shirt that we design, the medals and our photo booth pictures.

"These are the experiences that I want the other countries to feel for themselves, so that we can attract people from those countries and build our fan base from there."

*Sundown Marathon Taiwan 2017 (Review and Feedback) : http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22717-sundown-marathon-taipei/

uncle also like @activerun and many others (locals) have similar aspirations...;)

Thank You HiVelocity for initiated the first Adidas Sundown Marathon in 2008. As long as I live with LORD's will, I try to complete 100 marathons as achieved by uncle Chan.

Salute to Sundown Marathon (HiVelocity), hope you shall return again as host of any events...it is always full of excellence and hallmarks of good race and experience..;)

yes, for the FM newbie, sign up for your First FM...like uncle First FM and then First UltraMarathon in the span of 1.5 months in 2011..Medals were ELMs honourable ones...to be treasured as limited and collectors' only...

uncle hopes that all who about to consider, or die die must sign up every year, is truly active and loyal SD Marathoners (5k, 10k and HMers also)

for it is always full of memories who were there, and about to experience first night race...we had many wonderful tales of how we catch rats (runners( who took short-cut and kena caught in action...and uncle got stories of how, no need to run...just sleep, take car, and go checkpoint...scan..sleep..or ride bike and go checkpoint...scan...also can...team of friends (no need to pay) do Ekiden...also can...

Edited by kohpapa

On 12/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, prisangel said:

I'm doing the London Marathon on April 28th.

With that in mind, do you guys recommend I should do HM or FM for the Sundown?

Better person to ask should be your coach? Also if to see if you are going for PB at London too?

Between writing his book and patting himself on the back, I'm surprised Adrian still has a working hand :rolleyes2::crazysmile:

While it's true that the earlier editions of SDM medals were gorgeous and of real quality, from 2015 onward, they were just horrendous. I doubt many people really want them as a collector item.

An update on next year's finisher medal. Infinitus has not made a decision on the finisher medal yet. Since it's unlikely that a decision will be made before the Super Early Bird ends, I guess I won't be joining this race. 

Edited by lonewolf

infinitus productions (1st half 2019) events...2 in Singapore and 1 in Malaysia...

14e2o35.jpg

expect ILLUMI Fest Run Singapore 2019 (2nd half 2019)...

33215op.jpg

uncle has once worked with infinitus productions in a multi-event race (less than 500 participants) as a sanctioned duathlon race official...

it had been introduced as "they were once from HiVelocity in Sundown Marathon and Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore..."

saw their team managers...youthful..and energetic...

abutthen...if all expect SD 2019 to have a World-class Marathon experience like SCSM 2018 which concluded...uncle would say...next to Improbable, for they have not yet proven to host a 30,000++ endurance race...

to uncle, always a well-trained crew is important, and from uncle's experience, a loyalty crew team and a team of dedicated supervisors who are really to train them...I would be hesistate to comment - do you have the manpower to handle a mega-event?

unless uncle got free bib again, but doubtful, vendors must have changed...and uncle shall wait out...and let everyone here...decide...skip and miss...

another one is always a SD taboo...Sure Rain Almost..because the event is held in the inter-monsoon period

and finally...Eid al-Fitr 2019 in Singapore will begin in the evening of Tuesday, 4 June (Hari Raya)...from the past SD Editions, fasting month (Ramadan in 2019 will start on Monday, the 6th of May (6/5/2019) and will continue for 30 days until Tuesday, the 4th of June) will affect participation of locals as well as nearby SEA runners who are muslims...well the plus ++ is there will be plenty of unlimited of hydration for all...;)

Edited by kohpapa

On 12/18/2018 at 9:06 AM, yh90 said:

I dunno what came to me. Signed up for the FM..

Sundown marathon was my first FM..

wah.... congrats YH... u can get back memories of your 1st FM then before the Zzzz monster catches you...haaa

On 12/18/2018 at 1:08 PM, lonewolf said:

When I completed my first SDM FM in 2014 (overall 2nd FM), I told myself that I was not going to run another SDM FM. And I never did.

I did run the HM in 2015 but had not run any SDM since then because of the awful medal they were giving. 

That's exactly what I told myself too in 2008 when i took part in my 1st SD marathon !! went back on my words for a couple of years before finally deciding to go for the HM instead...

On 12/21/2018 at 4:53 PM, lonewolf said:

Between writing his book and patting himself on the back, I'm surprised Adrian still has a working hand :rolleyes2::crazysmile:

While it's true that the earlier editions of SDM medals were gorgeous and of real quality, from 2015 onward, they were just horrendous. I doubt many people really want them as a collector item.

An update on next year's finisher medal. Infinitus has not made a decision on the finisher medal yet. Since it's unlikely that a decision will be made before the Super Early Bird ends, I guess I won't be joining this race. 

Hmm if you wanna know, have you tried writing to them?

1 hour ago, prisangel said:

Hmm if you wanna know, have you tried writing to them?

Yes. Hence the use of the word 'update' in my original post. -_-

I've decided to give this race a miss this year. $95 (current Early Bird rate) for a FM is a bit too excessive for me. Gonna finally break my Sundown Marathon streak which started back in 2009. 

41 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

I've decided to give this race a miss this year. $95 (current Early Bird rate) for a FM is a bit too excessive for me. Gonna finally break my Sundown Marathon streak which started back in 2009. 

More ex than SCSM and it is not iaaf certified. 

1 hour ago, Ender said:

More ex than SCSM and it is not iaaf certified. 

2 hours ago, jerrylam said:

I'm still sitting on the fence but will register via U Sport - U Run Access if I'm going to do. Works out to $63 for the run.

3 hours ago, K!m said:

I'm still sitting on the fence but will register via U Sport - U Run Access if I'm going to do. Works out to $63 for the run.

$63 for a FM is still very much more worthwhile than $95...whopping $30 difference!! ?

Considering to go for SD 2019.

I hav been focus on the oversea IM races last few years that i been "neglecting" to support the local running races..  :o:lol:

Any1 who sign up but can't attend, please feel free to PM me to sell e bib (FM)

I willing to offer back all the merchandises back to you.:)

Edited by delldell314

20 minutes ago, delldell314 said:

Any1 who sign up but can't attend, please feel free to PM me to sell e bib. I willing to offer back all the merchandises back to you.:)

Would you want to indicate which category you are interested at? ?

On 2/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, delldell314 said:

Oh sorry. i interested in FM.

Sorry, I signed up on HF...

15 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Sorry, I signed up on HF...

HF is a new category ah? ??