Sign in to follow this  
prisangel

OSIM Sundown Marathon - 1 June 2019

4 hours ago, bookie said:

WHAT YOU SAYING BOY. DUxTON HAS FINISHER MEDAL 

I was referring to the $20 non-competitive cat. Well, in any case just enjoy if you are keen to go.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

I did something crazy like you last year. After finishing my Straits Time 18.45 KM event, went immediately to another place to do a Vertical Challenge of 78 floors. Regretted immediately 'cos my legs turned jelly & struggling all the way.

All the best to you.

😅 Thank you bro. Last year the Swissotel Vertical Marathon clashed with King of The Trails - Race 4 on the same morning. So I had to finish SVM first, then rushed to KOTT, I still remember that both races got delay due to the downpour in the early morning. Anyway, totally agree with you that preventing injury and completing the race safely are the most important things. 👌💪

Edited by ZZIZZ

15 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

😅 Thank you bro. Last year the Swissotel Vertical Marathon clashed with King of The Trails - Race 4 on the same morning. So I had to finish SVM first, then rushed to KOTT, I still remember that both races got delay due to the downpour in the early morning. Anyway, totally agree with you that preventing injury and completing the race safely are the most important things. 👌💪

Bro, you are welcome. Always listen to your body & to stay injury free.

Race route out on fb

for 21km route, 14-15km mark can run? Thought there are some construction works going on? No?

FD0B2203-D770-4BC6-8A25-2AD68CADE1EC.jpeg

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, stalky79 said:

for 21km route, 14-15km mark can run? Thought there are some construction works going on? No?

Thanks for posting, bro.

Honestly I haven't ran that area recently, just passed by 15-16KM section at Income Eco run, looks like some section road was blocked and under construction, hopefully they have completed the job, otherwise it will be a bottleneck...

Edited by ZZIZZ

14 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Race route out on fb

GBTB East area has construction works for the longest time, but should still have a path or detours that we can take to go Marina Barrage.

If not I remembered there is another straight "inner road" (that is mainly for cars) that can link somewhere close to the Marina Barrage bridge?

FM route will be just HM + another 21km running into ECP and out of ECP back to Marina Barrage..........

Reached 4.15pm collected and out 4.20pm... lol

This time really is goodie bag. Got body wash, salon pas, muscle tech supplement sample and big packet of detergent ..

• Like 2

yes! Very fast to collect. But I wonder why they need to split singlet collection to another counter.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:07 PM, stalky79 said:

Race route out on fb

FD0B2203-D770-4BC6-8A25-2AD68CADE1EC.jpeg

Thanks for the info! needed this

Just received a free bib to run FM from a bro that has injury as excuse (bro needs time to recover for Goldcoast Run with Family in July)... checking out on the new organiser..will give some comments, hope it is ok to hear from Uncle.

Best wishes to all taking part. 

Posted (edited)

"for 21km route, 14-15km mark can run? Thought there are some construction works going on? No?"

Yes, there are construction works at the Tanjong Rhu Area (quite massive)...expect the diverted path to be narrowed, and even may have to be open to the roads (divertion). Expected to have "unlit" condition meaning sudden darkness and running in the night without lighting means your  sleepy eyes will have to be "opened widely" and be alert...and if you are in the zombie state, be careful not to bang to the construction wall or run onto the uneven rocky condition or elevated cemented pathway.

Luckily it is for the first 21 km...not so much for the remaining of the 21Km for the FM.

Edited by kohpapa

4 hours ago, stalky79 said:

This year sundown don’t have phone app?

I noticed the same thing. Maybe for cost-saving...

Posted (edited)

a low-cost event, why need to spend more, with routes confine mostly to the Park Connectors, eliminating cost putting up the barriers...so Rat Runners who decide to take "short-cut" to ending point...let's us see if that happens...

Weather is 29C feel (currently) and humidity at 90++...so, running in such high humidity...and at almost 30C is no joke...sticky sweat means blood flow goes to skin to "expel" sweat...leaving very little oxygen (via blood) to muscles to legs....fatigue and cramp...

so drink up more hydration with electrolytes...and with every run..more energy is needed..and heart beats go higher...so, mental concentration to "finish" must overcome "give-up lah, can do that in SCSM"...

next 48++ hours...nutrition shall be of the "cool" type....white meat...fish, seafood..and fresh fruits and veggie...surely, not wanting to having red "Mala" spicy and meaty ones.

Yes, in past years, sundown events are full of participation/comments...lately...a quiet event and mostly, as uncle has stated in the beginning...this year has a new organizer, the route is somehow more Park Connectors than Road Closures...budget (better plan wisely)..and factor such as Ramadan...in the past, run, many from Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines, even China/Taiwan to try out Night Marathon...but now, these countries also have their evening/night runs...need not to be under the "Sundown" branding...

Sadly, runners are now more Mobile...Virtual..so, no need Sleep Can Wait...Run virtually..and now SCSM is also evening, perhaps Sundown will also become a legacy....since there will be no national coverage (TV broadcasting), World Class Label Race with ranked Competitors (Bronze, Silver, Gold and soon Platinum) to attract crowd and fans.... it is just a purely, recreational, like others...for those who simply love to run for health and fitness (lifestyle). So what if you are a Gold Label Race Competitor (SCSM 2018), Sundown is not even any Label Race. Unless Sundown is serious...spend more money to meet Label Road Run criteria...really?

For those running Sundown, best wishes. 😊

Edited by kohpapa

I wonder when Sundown will be IAAF certifed..

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, yh90 said:

I wonder when Sundown will be IAAF certifed..

How does that affect anyone running the race?

Or do you have records of PBs for IAAF certified and non-certified races separately?

Edited by beast

1 hour ago, beast said:

How does that affect anyone running the race?

Or do you have records of PBs for IAAF certified and non-certified races separately?

Curious only. no offence.

5 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Curious only. no offence.

None taken. I am also curious why you ask, no offence also.

To get IAAF certified, a lot more work and costs need to be managed, which I don't think the organizers want to undertake.

Anyway with the SCMS announcing an evening run now, curious to see if there will still be a sundown next year.

11 minutes ago, beast said:

Anyway with the SCMS announcing an evening run now, curious to see if there will still be a sundown next year.

Sundown Marathon is a 'brand' and after spending all the money buying over the brand, F4U Pte Ltd (BTW this is one of the worst name you can name your company :crazysmile:) would be nutz to scrap it just because SCSM becomes an evening race.

In any case, there is no overlap. SCSM starts 6pm. SDM starts close to midnight. I dun think the experience will be the same so I see no reasons why SDM cannot continue to attract participants. 

16 minutes ago, beast said:

None taken. I am also curious why you ask, no offence also.

To get IAAF certified, a lot more work and costs need to be managed, which I don't think the organizers want to undertake.

I think they are both different.

SCSM's marathon is 6pm flag off, finishing for most by midnight. So still can sleep.

Sundown flag off is around midnight, finishing for most around 3 to 5am. So it is really sleep can wait.

Personally, I prefer an evening run timing like this SCSM or Marina Run than Sundown.

17 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Sundown Marathon is a 'brand' and after spending all the money buying over the brand, F4U Pte Ltd (BTW this is one of the worst name you can name your company :crazysmile:) would be nutz to scrap it just because SCSM becomes an evening race.

In any case, there is no overlap. SCSM starts 6pm. SDM starts close to midnight. I dun think the experience will be the same so I see no reasons why SDM cannot continue to attract participants. 

6 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

I think they are both different.

SCSM's marathon is 6pm flag off, finishing for most by midnight. So still can sleep.

Sundown flag off is around midnight, finishing for most around 3 to 5am. So it is really sleep can wait.

Personally, I prefer an evening run timing like this SCSM or Marina Run than Sundown.

Guess I should have said how it would impact Sundown instead of if there is going to be another Sundown.

Agree that F4U wouldn't want to change its branding as well, and likely everything would be status quo, so I guess no more finishing a marathon in the sunrise anymore unless we finish really late, or the start time starts later at say 2 or 3am.

4 hours ago, beast said:

Guess I should have said how it would impact Sundown instead of if there is going to be another Sundown.

Agree that F4U wouldn't want to change its branding as well, and likely everything would be status quo, so I guess no more finishing a marathon in the sunrise anymore unless we finish really late, or the start time starts later at say 2 or 3am.

I am a slow runner. When I ran my SDM FM, I really did finish around sunrise. :crazysmile:

I have an idea for SDM to spice things up. How about adopting a reverse grid system? In some motorsports, to spice things up, the fastest qualifiers are put at the back.

So those who think they can finish the FM in 5 hrs, can start at 2am and finish ard 7am. Those who can finish is 4h can start at 3am etc. 

I know it's a wild idea and no one would probably adopt it but .. this is one way to spice things up. :jump:

8 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I am a slow runner. When I ran my SDM FM, I really did finish around sunrise. :crazysmile:

I have an idea for SDM to spice things up. How about adopting a reverse grid system? In some motorsports, to spice things up, the fastest qualifiers are put at the back.

So those who think they can finish the FM in 5 hrs, can start at 2am and finish ard 7am. Those who can finish is 4h can start at 3am etc. 

I know it's a wild idea and no one would probably adopt it but .. this is one way to spice things up. :jump:

Then the fast runners will say we slow runners blocking them :( 

3 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Not a bad idea. But if really implement it, those fast runners will start to declare their time is slow. Many runners weather fast or slow want to run first and can rest and relax more after the run.

Imo, even if SCSM goes as an evening run, sundown will still have its fair share of supporters as the activities and more importantly, timings of the run are different. Runners probably wouldn't mind going without sleep to run a marathon once a year.

Just like so many other races which share the same routes, we still sign up and attend, isn't it (LOL)?