Sign in to follow this  
SG RED DEVIL

CULTRA 2019 [Cameron Ultra-Trail 2019] Sat 27 July - 28th July 2019

Registration date to ballot a place for 55 Km & 100 Km will be opened from 01 Jan till 31 Jan 2019. Whereas 15 Km & 30 Km will be normal registration from 1 Mar till 10 Mar 2019.

REG DATE.jpg

Posted (edited)

Based on my experiences of this run in 2018:

1. This run is apparently so popular that all slots were gone within the 1st hour of registration. Glad to know that it has gone the route of balloting, but should have extended it to all categories. Those who wish to join the 30km or 15km categories, you will need to camp in front of your computer and chiong to register when it starts.

2. I have not participated in any overseas trail runs in the past so taking part in this run has been eyeopener for me. Despite taking part in only the 30km run, the minimal training of stairs climbing have not prepared me well enough to tackle the steep elevation and garner me the well deserved DNF. So anyone thinking of taking part in this, you should really start training for it now, especially for elevation. If you could round up like minded friends and start trekking/climbing the smaller mountains closer to Singapore, that would be the most ideal.

BE REALLY PREPARED FOR THIS.

3. Organization is very good, from race pack collection to race logistics during the run. The view is very scenic (but that goes without saying). If you like trail runs, this is definitely one of the ones you must take part. JUST BE  REALLY WELL TRAINED FOR IT.

The same organizer is also organizing a HM road run in March. All slots have been taken up as well. Not so keen due to it being a night run so won't get to see the beautiful sights you will get to see in the day, and it will be much colder to run in. But will be interesting to hear race reviews about how it goes...

Edited by beast

5 hours ago, beast said:

1. This run is apparently so popular that all slots were gone within the 1st hour of registration. Glad to know that it has gone the route of balloting, but should have extended it to all categories. Those who wish to join the 30km or 15km categories, you will need to camp in front of your computer and chiong to register when it starts.

2. I have not participated in any overseas trail runs in the past so taking part in this run has been eyeopener for me. Despite taking part in only the 30km run, the minimal training of stairs climbing have not prepared me well enough to tackle the steep elevation and garner me the well deserved DNF. So anyone thinking of taking part in this, you should really start training for it now, especially for elevation. If you could round up like minded friends and start trekking/climbing the smaller mountains closer to Singapore, that would be the most ideal.

BE REALLY PREPARED FOR THIS.

3. Organization is very good, from race pack collection to race logistics during the run. The view is very scenic (but that goes without saying). If you like trail runs, this is definitely one of the ones you must take part. JUST BE  REALLY WELL TRAINED FOR IT.

The same organizer is also organizing a HM road run in March. All slots have been taken up as well. Not so keen due to it being a night run so won't get to see the beautiful sights you will get to see in the day, and it will be much colder to run in. But will be interesting to hear race reviews about how it goes...

Hi @beast,

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking at 30 Km as well. Seeking more info from you before deciding to go or not.

1) Transportation: Did you travel by bus from Spore to Cameron Highland straight or taking a flight to Ipoh & cab from Ipoh airport to Cameron? Any idea how much is cab fare? What was your itinerary like ie. reach on Friday & flew out on Sunday?

2) Hotel: Did you book in advance like right now?

3) Mandatory Items: Is this enforce strictly by organizer ie. drinking cup, spoon & bowl etc for example? Do you requirethe head lamps?

4) Steep Elevation: Does this steep elevation held you seriously back on your timing to complete out of curiosity?

Looking forward to your input with thanks.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Hi @beast,

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking at 30 Km as well. Seeking more info from you before deciding to go or not.

1) Transportation: Did you travel by bus from Spore to Cameron Highland straight or taking a flight to Ipoh & cab from Ipoh airport to Cameron? Any idea how much is cab fare? What was your itinerary like ie. reach on Friday & flew out on Sunday?

2) Hotel: Did you book in advance like right now?

3) Mandatory Items: Is this enforce strictly by organizer ie. drinking cup, spoon & bowl etc for example? Do you requirethe head lamps?

4) Steep Elevation: Does this steep elevation held you seriously back on your timing to complete out of curiosity?

Looking forward to your input with thanks.

Hi @SG RED DEVIL

1) I took the most hassle-free option which is a direct bus to Tanah Rata. It is a 10 hour bus ride, you can only leave at night from Singapore (10pm-8am) and return in the morning from Tanah Rata (10am-8pm). I am quite a heavy sleeper, so I was able to nap most of the time on the bus. Bus will stop for 2 meals and toilet breaks every 2 hours, so you will get off the bus fairly regularly to stretch yourself, so it was not all that bad. Tanah Rata is a small town, so if you choose the bus that stops at Tanah Rata Bus Terminal or one of the hotels there, you will be within walking distance from Century Pines Resort (where the race pack collection is at, and next to the start/end point as well). 

If you take a flight to Ipoh, you will still need to find a bus up which will take 2 to 3 hours. From the airport, you will have to find your way to the city to take the bus, and there are also limited bus timings every day. Cab is not an option as the 2-3 hour ride will be costly.

I reached there on Friday morning, run on Saturday, took a day tour on Sunday, and bus back on Monday. You can opt to return on Sunday morning like most runners do, but I opted to stay one more day to do some sightseeing.

2) I booked the hotel only after I got the race slot. You can look at the hotels now at Tanah Rata and book a Free Cancellation one if you like, but the place has enough accommodation options that you can afford to book later, despite it being a small town.

3) Yes it is enforced strictly. There is a checkpoint during race pack collection where you will need to show the organizer you have these items with you. If not they will ask you to buy them on the spot in the race expo. Head lamps is definitely needed during the wee hours of the race (for 30km, you will need it from 6-7am) as it can get quite dark.

4) Both the ascend and descend took too much time for me. On the way up you will need to figure how to tackle the uneven slopes of the hills. During the descend I also took a lot of time to make sure that I am on the correct footing and not fall/roll down the slopes. Which is why I think stairs climbing is not enough training for this run, and it would be ideal if you can go for short hiking trips in Malaysia to accustom yourself to such terrain. 

The cooling weather and the scenery makes it worthwhile to make the long trip there. No regrets going there even if it ends up a DNF.

Edited by beast

Hi @beast,

Your info helped me clarify some doubts especially on which transportation to take. Since those steep elevations caused problems even for experienced runner like you, i think i shall have to reconsider on the category. 

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate very much.

11 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Hi @beast,

Your info helped me clarify some doubts especially on which transportation to take. Since those steep elevations caused problems even for experienced runner like you, i think i shall have to reconsider on the category. 

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate very much.

Lol l am in not an experienced runner in any form or shape. My FM timings are 6+ hours these days and Cultra is my first overseas trail run, so I was really unprepared and not knowing what I was in for.

You can consider the 15km cat if you think the run sounds daunting and you won't have time to train. It will be a less stressful run and you will enjoy it more while having a good feel of the steep elevations. The shorter distance wont make it less of a challenge and you still need to train hard for it.

It will still be an enjoyable runcation no matter how involved you are in for the run. Cameron Highlands is a beautiful getaway so I would say go for it if you really can.

Wow! Both 15km & 30km were sold out less than an hour. No time to react 'cos did not expect so fast.

Will know how to react next year. Sianz...

2 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Wow! Both 15km & 30km were sold out less than an hour. No time to react 'cos did not expect so fast.

Will know how to react next year. Sianz...

Did not expect that?

I already said it in my first post in this thread:

On 1/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, beast said:

Either you missed this or you couldn't remember reading about it.

Better luck next year.....................

6 hours ago, beast said:

Did not expect that?

I already said it in my first post in this thread:

Either you missed this or you couldn't remember reading about it.

Better luck next year.....................

Was busy at work but no excuse. Better luck next year which i agree with you. Next time must fast hand fast leg!

Dear All

Myself and colleague have secured a slot for the 15 km run. This would be our first overseas trail run. Is there any group from Singapore participating in this trail event and if we could join them.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Sundeep said:

Dear All

Myself and colleague have secured a slot for the 15 km run. This would be our first overseas trail run. Is there any group from Singapore participating in this trail event and if we could join them.

Thanks

Hi @Sundeep, welcome to the forum. Do enjoy yourself here.

Unfortunately, i did not get a slot due to logged in late. Most probably i will do it next year. Good luck to you for the race & review the race here. Cheers.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Sundeep said:

Dear All

Thanks

You can try contacting this group called Run Trek Walk on Facebook.

Edited by beast

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, Sundeep said:

Dear All

Myself and colleague have secured a slot for the 15 km run. This would be our first overseas trail run. Is there any group from https://enfinmince.fr/ Singapore participating in this trail event and if we could join them.

Thanks

The Most Scenic Ultra Trail Marathon in Singapore.

Edited by KarlHarder