Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Safari Zoo Run 2019 - 24 Feb (Sun)

@Lady Ice Agree with you and going a little off topic here.

I was reading this news article on Singapore's possible future increasing heat and humidity  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/singapore-hot-weather-urban-heat-effect-temperature-humidity-11115384

So it is a collective effort from organisations and individuals to be environmentally conscious. Safari Zoo run is taking baby steps here.

18 hours ago, trailblazer said:

@Lady Ice Agree with you and going a little off topic here.

I was reading this news article on Singapore's possible future increasing heat and humidity  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/singapore-hot-weather-urban-heat-effect-temperature-humidity-11115384

So it is a collective effort from organisations and individuals to be environmentally conscious. Safari Zoo run is taking baby steps here.

Yes - just to off topic one more time.... with one hand there is talk about climate change but on the other the gahment look the other way in pursuit to develop more land. (ref: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/ecologists-dispute-hdbs-finding-that-tengah-forests-were-mostly-of-low). So am glad the Safari Run and others are finally finding the guts to create a BYOB environment for runners. Hope they do it successfully....otherwise they should check in with Green Nudge (the company am helping to green up events) as we have already managed to successfully implement cupless events with a positive impact on PBs :)

Burning plastic generates CO2 and although our incinerators are within the WHO limits, still produces small amounts of toxic gas. Photo-degrading plastic generates methane and ethylene -  2 green house gases that are 10 times worst than CO2. Climate scientist have given us 12 years to sort it out. Am hoping outdoor athletes like runners can raise their game and gain environmental PBs.

We all need to breathe and @trailblazer's article is very relevant to all here.

image.thumb.png.7d0fc35df86cdde03e44d824049cac14.png

image.thumb.png.92a86888dbc7e24cf6439f0bc8cae73c.png

Wah piang eh, till now no details on route and flag off timing...

lol

Edited by stalky79

4 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Wah piang eh, till now no details on route and flag off timing...

lol

You can refer to the previous years. I don't think they will change since the zoo has strict regulations on the route and timings to follow. 

Race pack collected. Went at 11.15am and left at 11.30am... scam your confirmation slip bar code or qr code... get a slip... show slip at counter to receive items. 

Water bottle, singlet, race bib and few pieces of phamplet

21 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Did they change the event t to shirt? Signed up for 12k, but inside the bag was  the shirt, only realized it at home. 

last year 10km shirt. This year 12km is singlet... 

Dear Singapore Runners, 

Good day,

I am from Taiwan, my name is Chet Wang.

I will go to Singapore for business this week. 

I just found the Zoo Run website. 

Unfortunately the tickets are already sold out.

Is any possible to buy the ticket?

or someone have ticket, but he/she would not be attending this event, something just came up.

Thank you very much.

Chet

1 hour ago, taiwanct said:

Dear Singapore Runners, 

Good day,

or someone have ticket, but he/she would not be attending this event, something just came up.

Thank you very much.

Chet

NO> SORRY

On 2/18/2019 at 2:13 PM, taiwanct said:

Dear Singapore Runners, 

Good day,

Thank you very much.

Chet

PM me.

I got 1 spare bib and if you don't mind just on participate on the 2km category in the family category.  My wife injured her leg during her training thus she won't be going. It also include free entry to the zoo/river safari etc.

12km done and dusted.  Nice elm medal..

surprisingly not much people at the water point - slanted mineral water 20l bottle with a “tap” like device 

slopes at 4.5 to 5km loop was a killer 

got can of isotonic drink and mineral water at the end

rest a while then go river safari 

On 2/22/2019 at 9:49 AM, delldell314 said:

PM me.

I got 1 spare bib and if you don't mind just on participate on the 2km category in the family category.  My wife injured her leg during her training thus she won't be going. It also include free entry to the zoo/river safari etc.

TAIWAN DON"T WANT 2KM SORRY

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

They open up the entire place for runners and tourists alike? It.must be crowded...

Not really. The zoo opens at 0830hrs.

The 12K flag off 7am so the majority of competitive runners will be finished by that time.

It was a good run, the 4-5 and 10-11km sections of the 12km had a couple of decent hills that felt like mountains at the time!

Did anyone else clock the distance?  I got 11.5km, and that included a diversion of a few hundred metres out near the water play area to visit the bathroom for a drink.  I did read the race guide saying to bring your own bottles, but also read cups would be available on request.  So it was funny to see all the water stations, completely ignored.

Also the finish line was... strange.  Turn left, up the hill and done.  Didn't know if it was going to be another few hundred metres, but it was right there.  Very few people around the area to cheer anyone on too.  After the run I was hanging near the finish line to watch people finish, and got told to move along by the volunteers because they were filming.  So that was that.

My Garmin shows 11.6km... sharp left turn then a steep slope to the finish line... not what I expected...lol 

16 hours ago, Saltwater said:

I did read the race guide saying to bring your own bottles, but also read cups would be available on request.  So it was funny to see all the water stations, completely ignored.

Agree. I mean if they are not going to provide cups at all, then say so. I suppose you did request for a cup and they ignore you? 

Glad I did not join this race. BYOB races are just not appealing to me. 

2 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Running shots photos out yesterday!

damn fast sia

Not sure if due to the small participant size?.. Based on my feel, the crowd is just no longer as big as it used to be.

Took part in the 2km challenge junior with my 2 kids. Maybe due to the smaller crowd, it enhance our running experience. Kids got more space to roam and enjoy the running route without squeezing. 

The strongest pro for zoo run to the kids is the running pass the animals which they can admire thus make the whole race more interesting for them.

Starting off is smooth and weather is just nice.

Yes. There is no cups at the hydra point. I bring my own hydra pack so no issue among us.  The only awkward part is that race claim to practice environment friendly act but mineral water with single use plastic bottle is still issued at the finishing line.

Can't comment too much on the only 2km running route. It passed thru some of the animals which good enough to attract attention of my kids. No complain.

Finishing line is up the slope and also a good moment to push the kids for their final effort and finish off strong! That is a plus point for this race.

Anyway will still go for next year as my kids still enjoy the water playground after the race.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:32 AM, stalky79 said:

12km done and dusted.  Nice elm medal..

surprisingly not much people at the water point - slanted mineral water 20l bottle with a “tap” like device 

slopes at 4.5 to 5km loop was a killer 

got can of isotonic drink and mineral water at the end

rest a while then go river safari 

that slope killer?? how was the gradient like?

18 hours ago, stalky79 said:

sharp left turn then a steep slope to the finish line... not what I expected...lol 

It feels like a "bonus", right? ??