Sign in to follow this  
NoobieRunner

STGR - Uglow Marathon 15th June 2019

Finisher shirt is normal shirt, not high quality like the singlet.

Only fruits at the finish, not with full meal like Newton.

Next year edition too expensive i think, not so keen to sign up so early. Probably wait and see which course, preferably central catchment area would be good

Just saw the pricing for next year. Yes, me too think $100 for running 42 km at Coney island is quite pricey. Somehow I am always using SCSM price as a guide to other races.

Unless you are also going for their free race in HK, which is entitled when you sign up for 2020.

Too expensive for a Corney Island Run. Everyone can easily go there and run FOC . 

14 hours ago, mover said:

Some female category got less than 150 runners so as long you finished you shall get a finisher T. That why I say it not difficult especially for female.

Oh!! Thanks for the tip!! :jump:

6 hours ago, starfinder said:

Just saw the pricing for next year. Yes, me too think $100 for running 42 km at Coney island is quite pricey. Somehow I am always using SCSM price as a guide to other races.

Unless you are also going for their free race in HK, which is entitled when you sign up for 2020.

Indeed expensive... Am definitely not keen to pay $80 for a HM, that has minimal hydration stations, and starts relatively late - at 7.30am!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mover said:

Too expensive for a Corney Island Run. Everyone can easily go there and run FOC . 

Actually, there are many of the running routes, GBTB, MBS, ECP, even MacRitchie Reservoir, the Centre Catchment Trails, etc, we are all already running it for free. Yet, we still pay when come to joining run events that include these routes. Why?

Ok, let me guess. Because we need organisers. To help to carry out the necessary logistics, provide hydration points, set up race village, make the event happening, provide baggage drop, close some part of the road for the run, give goodies, give event finisher T shirts and medals, provide timing bibs, race results, etc, etc.

So why is paying $100 for SCSM ok? How about Sundown? And this STGR Coney Island Marathon? My guess is SCSM provides better value for the money while the rest, especially the last event mentioned, not so.

Then what gives better value? May be it's like the experience we had from paying $20 to watch movies like Avatar, Titanic, Jurassic World vs paying the same $20 to watch Toy Story 4?

Edited by puppyrun

This run got free photos and you can download the photo with your finishing timing tag. I think we still need to give credit for the organizer for this. 

3 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Actually, there are many of the running routes, GBTB, MBS, ECP, even MacRitchie Reservoir, the Centre Catchment Trails, etc, we are all already running it for free. Yet, we still pay when come to joining run events that include these routes. Why?

Ok, let me guess. Because we need organisers. To help to carry out the necessary logistics, provide hydration points, set up race village, make the event happening, provide baggage drop, close some part of the road for the run, give goodies, give event finisher T shirts and medals, provide timing bibs, race results, etc, etc.

So why is paying $100 for SCSM ok? How about Sundown? And this STGR Coney Island Marathon? My guess is SCSM provides better value for the money while the rest, especially the last event mentioned, not so.

Then what gives better value? May be it's like the experience we had from paying $20 to watch movies like Avatar, Titanic, Jurassic World vs paying the same $20 to watch Toy Story 4?

Value is indeed subjective. It is really up to the individual to think if paying will equate to what he/she will be getting from the product/service. 

In this case, the organizer has packaged the value of 2 runs into 1, and majority of the runners here will not be able to utilize both the runs because the other one is in HK. To the organizer, they have charged what they believe is reasonable for 2 runs to its paying customers so it is up to the customers to decide if they should take the bait, given that they will only utilize the value of 1.

Collectively, there will be a group of people who will think that $80 is not worth what he is getting if he/she had spent it elsewhere. At the same time, there will also be others who believe the value of the 1 run already covers what they are paying (oood race atmosphere, good singlet, good logistics support, free photos etc).

Nobody is right or wrong when it comes to paying value for the same item. As long as the individual is happy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mover said:

This run got free photos and you can download the photo with your finishing timing tag. I think we still need to give credit for the organizer for this. 

not everyone got photo leh. I don't have even though there was camera man who snapped me 3 times ☹️

On 6/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, kcslchin said:

not everyone got photo leh. I don't have even though there was camera man who snapped me 3 times ☹️

Yes so many people do not have any photo yet including some who topped their age category. 

Disappointing and hopefully more photos to come.