Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Compressport Forest Force 50 2019 - 05 May (Sun)

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

If that's the case: Saturday 25KM trail race, Sunday HM?... No way.... I can't make it, will die for sure................ ??

By the way, I'm not sure whether or not "Star Wars Run 2019" will happen, and probably on "May the 4th"...

I believe the last Star Wars Run is still making money based on the sign-ups, and it is on a Saturday, so I don't see why it will not be happening....

8 hours ago, StephanieChew said:

What difficulties did you face?

The preparation for Severe Weather Contingency needs to be improved.

Course map for all 3 categories are now available at their website and FB.

I am taking part in the 25km category. Looking at the map, am still confuse on how to run the route. Before, it was stated that this was going to be a non-loop format trail races in Singapore. Now that the course map has been released, it stated that none of the 3 categories involve a multi-loop format. So meaning? It is still loop but not multi loop? :huh:

6 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Course map for all 3 categories are now available at their website and FB.

I am taking part in the 25km category. Looking at the map, am still confuse on how to run the route. Before, it was stated that this was going to be a non-loop format trail races in Singapore. Now that the course map has been released, it stated that none of the 3 categories involve a multi-loop format. So meaning? It is still loop but not multi loop? :huh:

I had always taken that claim of "non-loop" as "you don't have to run a route multiple times".

I don't think it is possible to have a 25km and above trail run in Singapore that does not loop in some way. 

1 hour ago, beast said:

I had always taken that claim of "non-loop" as "you don't have to run a route multiple times".

I don't think it is possible to have a 25km and above trail run in Singapore that does not loop in some way. 

Actually it is possible. Here's an example of 25km route without loop, using mapometer.

Daily Farm - Zenghua -  Chestnut - Woodcutter's Trail -  Old Upp Thomson Road -  Upp Thomson Road -  Windsor nature trail - MacRitchie Terentang Trail - Rifle Range Road - Rail Corridor - Daily Farm

However, I do understand that it is easier for an individual but for an organised event, there could be other factors to consider.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, beast said:

I believe the last Star Wars Run is still making money based on the sign-ups, and it is on a Saturday, so I don't see why it will not be happening....

Until now no news, a bit disappointed as I had taken part in the past two editions. Doesnt make sense to have it on any other dates than 4th May, so i guess it's not happening this year. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:46 PM, akane81 said:

so i guess it's not happening this year. 

Possibly it won't happen in this year...

So weird that an event that has more or less confirmed to be profitable is not happening...

Copyrights issue? :iiam:

2 hours ago, beast said:

So weird that an event that has more or less confirmed to be profitable is not happening...

Copyrights issue? :iiam:

Maybe it was not as profitable for Espirmo as we think.

Or maybe Disney decides that the run was not wholesome and family-friendly enough for its image. :innocent:

Who knows what the House of Mouse is thinking nowadays anyway?  

It's so ironic that just like in the prequel, the Evil Empire won and no one is the wiser. :crazysmile:

so-this-is-how-liberty-dies-with-thunder

Run this morning, course was cut short from 15km to below 10km. Didnt hang around for explanations though

10 hours ago, Gusluk said:

Run this morning, course was cut short from 15km to below 10km. Didnt hang around for explanations though

That's so weird. No wonder hardly saw any 15km runners along the way though it is sharing the same route.

Trying asking them on their Facebook page for an answer?

Ran the 25km. Support along the route was well stocked and adequate. For 25km there were 7 support stations (2 of them doubled up as support in the to and fro route, so it was actually 5 unique stations) with ice cold 100 plus, plain water, as well as snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, popcorn, chips. This is unprecedented in the trail runs that I have ever took part in Singapore. Despite this, felt that they could have taken away 1 or even 2 stations away to focus their resources - 1 of the station only had hydration, whereas there were 2 support stations where they were just about 1km apart.

Some other notes:

- 25km route only had 2 small loops so overall the route was refreshing as you don't run to and fro often

- Signages are barely adequate - could have put up more

- No distance markers so if you don't have a GPS watch or phone app you are basically left wondering how long you have ran and how far left to run.

- Would be nice if they had some food or cold towel for runners after the run

10 hours ago, Gusluk said:

I'm sorry to hear what a mess up from the organizer (shortage of 5.4 km, shortage of road signs, miscommunication from volunteers, no medic etc).   

Seem like the organizer has yet to learn from last year Force Of Nature lesson. Most probably will refrain to join this year Force Of Nature.

11 hours ago, Gusluk said:

Really feel sorry for you, especially you had enjoyed last year's. You must be a fast runner, while the road marshal could still be sleeping. Because I heard some 15Km runners and the later runners from 25Km and 50Km all ran the correct path.

From Facebook, the organiser had already apologised on the mess up for 15Km runners. 

3 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

I'm sorry to hear what a mess up from the organizer (shortage of 5.4 km, shortage of road signs, miscommunication from volunteers, no medic etc).   

Seem like the organizer has yet to learn from last year Force Of Nature lesson. Most probably will refrain to join this year Force Of Nature.

My medal from last year's Force of Nature already corroded. Feedback this in their FB to be careful of the medal vendor but they deleted my post. LOL

Anyway, I feel last year's routes were better, as they crossed from Dairy Farm to Macritchie. Run 2 places in 1 race.

12 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Really feel sorry for you, especially you had enjoyed last year's. You must be a fast runner, while the road marshal could still be sleeping. Because I heard some 15Km runners and the later runners from 25Km and 50Km all ran the correct path.

From Facebook, the organiser had already apologised on the mess up for 15Km runners. 

That really suck. The organizer promised to look further into the matter and hopefully they can come up with a fair resolution of the matter.

They have distances of those who finish less than 10km on their tracking site so its easy to make amends to those affected if they really want to: 

https://forestforce.livetrail.net/?fbclid=IwAR0Y3pn1NuE_vdH5za55PdM95lpmj6VM7I3uux2s01E21P6AVFigopErl3Y

11 hours ago, starfinder said:

My medal from last year's Force of Nature already corroded. Feedback this in their FB to be careful of the medal vendor but they deleted my post. LOL

Anyway, I feel last year's routes were better, as they crossed from Dairy Farm to Macritchie. Run 2 places in 1 race.

I misplaced my medal already lol....

Well, technically we did run 2km in Macritchie...

I disliked last year's 23km route because the last 4 km was a loop that we had to detour when the finishing line was just next door.  2 of that 4km was running along Lornie Road with a lot of cars being noisy and emitting carbon monoxide. That was seriously bad. 

15 hours ago, beast said:

That's so weird. No wonder hardly saw any 15km runners along the way though it is sharing the same route.

Trying asking them on their Facebook page for an answer?

Ran the 25km. Support along the route was well stocked and adequate. For 25km there were 7 support stations (2 of them doubled up as support in the to and fro route, so it was actually 5 unique stations) with ice cold 100 plus, plain water, as well as snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, popcorn, chips. This is unprecedented in the trail runs that I have ever took part in Singapore. Despite this, felt that they could have taken away 1 or even 2 stations away to focus their resources - 1 of the station only had hydration, whereas there were 2 support stations where they were just about 1km apart.

Some other notes:

- 25km route only had 2 small loops so overall the route was refreshing as you don't run to and fro often

- Signages are barely adequate - could have put up more

- No distance markers so if you don't have a GPS watch or phone app you are basically left wondering how long you have ran and how far left to run.

- Would be nice if they had some food or cold towel for runners after the run

15 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

I took part in the 25Km run. The route was refreshing but was also very challenging for me. Ended up I did run at the first half, but walked and jogged to complete the rest. I really salute those who took part in the 50Km run. :bow:

I think the people behind the organising are trying hard to improve and learn from their past mistakes. However, mistakes still happened and some of these could really make or break the event for some participants.

Signage for trail is VERY VERY important. One wrong turn can end up as a very costly mistake.  I believed they did made efforts to put up adequate signage but still missed out on some. These had caused some runners to run extra, ran the wrong way or shorter distance,  ended up being disqualified.

I think less than 1000 runners signed up for this event. There were sufficient water points with good supply of icy water, 100 plus, bananas, enough volunteers, also not forgetting they had massage, free popsicles and milo van at the race village. Overall, I considered this event as not bad, but of course, there is room for improvement.

3 hours ago, puppyrun said:

I took part in the 25Km run. The route was refreshing but was also very challenging for me. Ended up I did run at the first half, but walked and jogged to complete the rest. I really salute those who took part in the 50Km run. :bow:

I think the people behind the organising are trying hard to improve and learn from their past mistakes. However, mistakes still happened and some of these could really make or break the event for some participants.

Signage for trail is VERY VERY important. One wrong turn can end up as a very costly mistake.  I believed they did made efforts to put up adequate signage but still missed out on some. These had caused some runners to run extra, ran the wrong way or shorter distance,  ended up being disqualified.

I think less than 1000 runners signed up for this event. There were sufficient water points with good supply of icy water, 100 plus, bananas, enough volunteers, also not forgetting they had massage, free popsicles and milo van at the race village. Overall, I considered this event as not bad, but of course, there is room for improvement.

Compared to Force of Nature (didn't run On the Hills) I would say that they have improved in terms of race support and race route.  Not so for the rest. Signages still not enough. The 15km incident seem to be an unfortunate case of a blur marshaller/volunteer pointing runners to the wrong direction. 

As for the number of runners, 1273 runners registered for the run and 1062 turned up. The milo van left too early, wasn't there anymore when I reached the finishing line at 11.15am :(

The organiser has posted an explanation on the 15km race

Even though I did not take part in any of their races, I like the response from race organiser.

They owe up to the problem, find out the root cause, attempt to rectify the situation on-site. 

I tend to think most runners are forgiving folks. We tend to be quite chill about genuine mistakes. And most of us have participated in enough races to differentiate between race organisers who are incompetence, indifference and just made a mistake.

IMHO, this seems like a mistake. 

21 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

The organiser has posted an explanation on the 15km race

Even though I did not take part in any of their races, I like the response from race organiser.

They owe up to the problem, find out the root cause, attempt to rectify the situation on-site. 

I tend to think most runners are forgiving folks. We tend to be quite chill about genuine mistakes. And most of us have participated in enough races to differentiate between race organisers who are incompetence, indifference and just made a mistake.

Yes. I also like the response from this race organiser.

Most importantly, they mentioned that they are going to contact all those who are affected to amend the situation. May be they may offer a compensation, example, a 50% off registration fees for their next organised FON event on Oct? :)

39 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Yup good PR from race organizer and they are still fighting fire with runners who are still not happy with the response by replying to their comments.

It was an honest mistake definitely.  The lack of signages further fueled this mistake from the course marshal. Had there been more direction and distance markers, runners will know immediately that they are being led wrongly.

Anyway they got the data of the affected participants - hope they can fairly compensate the runners.

43 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

Yes. I also like the response from this race organiser.

Most importantly, they mentioned that they are going to contact all those who are affected to amend the situation. May be they may offer a compensation, example, a 50% off registration fees for their next organised FON event on Oct? :)

If they want to make amends, they are likely to do that to minimize operational costs. Refund will be something that will appease the affected runners but it will be a big hit to their revenue.

However there is no 15km for FON...only 10km or 23km... so it is not an apple to orange compensation also. 

Let's see how they decide to tackle the issue.

20 hours ago, puppyrun said:

May be they may offer a compensation, example, a 50% off registration fees for their next organised FON event on Oct? :)

This has been done by the other organizer in 2018, you only lose once....?

On 5/5/2019 at 10:40 PM, starfinder said:

Mine still around. Lol...  But i have an ELM Race Against Cancer medal corroded. Use Brasso also no use. Sianz...