Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

2XU Compression Run 2019 - 07 Apr (Sun)

10slm3.jpg

*sigh*  :cray: it seems we cannot take for granted now that most Pink Apple organised events are ELM medal races. If one of their signature events stopped giving out ELM medals, then I would think the chance for other Pink Apple races to also not give ELM medal would be high.

It seems that the crowd has lessened this year somewhat. But one thing I noticed upon reaching the race village is a lack of buzz. I dun think it was because there was no music blasting at the start line, it was just lacking in atmosphere compared to previous years. 

The race route this year is quite morale sapping. The loop at Promontory is especially taxing mentally. 

Is it just me or does the Pocari Sweat served has a sour aftertaste?:bad: I dun rem that being the case for other races that served Pocari Sweat previously. 

Posted (edited)

Got a PB of 1'32'13. (1'32'58 , ownself give 45sec time penalty due to distance accuracy issues)

got one tunnel that is dark and cant see.100m but accidents can happen. So many ppl got Garmin  measured either too short ,too long or just nice.

The snake route at promenade, true quite mental. 

Edited by yh90

I thought only I felt that the race this year was a bit dull.... not just the race precinct area, the race as well !! Volunteers who used to shout and encourage runners are gone. Of course their other role is to ensure safety of runners but..... I only see 2 or 3..... at most...

Some area is quite dark...dashing in the last km from the spiral bridge down to Esplanade there are a few steps. Tumbled and almost kissing ground...they should put wood planks or hazard light.

41 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Got a PB of 1'32'13. (1'32'58 time penalty due to distance accuracy issues hence give 45sec 

got one tunnel that is dark and cant see.100m but accidents can happen. So many ppl got Garmin either too short ,too long or just nice.

Congratulations!

Good weather and cool breeze, I also hit a PB, but nearly 4min slower than yours. But the route seems 200-300 meters shorter. :)

35 minutes ago, Haibei1971 said:

Congratulations!

Good weather and cool breeze, I also hit a PB, but nearly 4min slower than yours. But the route seems 200-300 meters shorter. :)

I cant comment about the route accuracy..z.. 

2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

10slm3.jpg

*sigh*  :cray: it seems we cannot take for granted now that most Pink Apple organised events are ELM medal races. If one of their signature events stopped giving out ELM medals, then I would think the chance for other Pink Apple races to also not give ELM medal would be high.

It seems that the crowd has lessened this year somewhat. But one thing I noticed upon reaching the race village is a lack of buzz. I dun think it was because there was no music blasting at the start line, it was just lacking in atmosphere compared to previous years. 

The race route this year is quite morale sapping. The loop at Promontory is especially taxing mentally. 

Is it just me or does the Pocari Sweat served has a sour aftertaste?:bad: I dun rem that being the case for other races that served Pocari Sweat previously. 

Can't blame Pink Apply for trying out a new vendor. The quality of this medal looks alright - only time will tell if it will rust. We don't know what happened at the back end, but if it is getting more costly to make ELM medals, then from a business perspective it is definitely not worth getting them at all. Medal "connoisseurs" who appreciate ELM medals only belong to a very minor group.

Agree for the lack of atmosphere. This year the event area is "squeezed" to just the small area in front of baggage deposit. I don't understand why they don't extend the area to the area in front of the finishing point like all the other races? When I finished the run the event area is so packed with people, that I just want to get out of there ASAP. The lack of atmosphere along the route mentioned by autumnbro is to be expected, like many of the other runs - I missed this run from the last 2 years but I don't remember much atmosphere along the route in the 2016 and earlier editions too.

Race route is indeed morale sapping. They deliberately avoid going to ECP (not sure if people kpkb about going to ECP) but personally I rather they loop at ECP than making all these smaller loops. Many parts of the route, especially the Tanjong Rhu area, is really dark.

Not getting that sour aftertaste that you mentioned.

48 minutes ago, Haibei1971 said:

Some area is quite dark...dashing in the last km from the spiral bridge down to Esplanade there are a few steps. Tumbled and almost kissing ground...they should put wood planks or hazard light.

When I reached that area there was an eager volunteer shouting to ask people to mind the steps, but agree they should have put wooden planks or hazard lights. I remembered taking part in a few runs that the race organizers who actually do that.

1 minute ago, beast said:

Can't blame Pink Apply for trying out a new vendor. The quality of this medal looks alright - only time will tell if it will rust. We don't know what happened at the back end, but if it is getting more costly to make ELM medals, then from a business perspective it is definitely not worth getting them at all. Medal "connoisseurs" who appreciate ELM medals only belong to a very minor group.

Agree for the lack of atmosphere. This year the event area is "squeezed" to just the small area in front of baggage deposit. I don't understand why they don't extend the area to the area in front of the finishing point like all the other races? When I finished the run the event area is so packed with people, that I just want to get out of there ASAP. The lack of atmosphere along the route mentioned by autumnbro is to be expected, like many of the other runs - I missed this run from the last 2 years but I don't remember much atmosphere along the route in the 2016 and earlier editions too.

Race route is indeed morale sapping. They deliberately avoid going to ECP (not sure if people kpkb about going to ECP) but personally I rather they loop at ECP than making all these smaller loops. Many parts of the route, especially the Tanjong Rhu area, is really dark.

Not getting that sour aftertaste that you mentioned.

When I reached that area there was an eager volunteer shouting to ask people to mind the steps, but agree they should have put wooden planks or hazard lights. I remembered taking part in a few runs that the race organizers who actually do that.

I wont forget how I tripped n fell at the steps 2 years ago.. but cant entirely blame them as signboard alr say got steps and due to my blurness

44 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Finally got my race review up after a morning of typing... There were quite a few logistics issues and hiccups.... enjoy the review....

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2019/04/07/race-review-2xu-compression-run-2019/

You brought up some very good points, especially the missing timing board at the end, and the lack of bananas or gels along the route (I didn't particularly think the portable toilets were insufficient - waited for 15 mins which I feel is reasonable, though providing more will definitely be a plus). 

I would really really hope that the organisers gave a good thought to my comments to improve the race in 2020

You should email the organizers or at least comment on their fb page if you feel very strongly about your disappointments. If you just leave it as just a blog entry your voice will not be heard.

I feel the 2.5 rating is being a bit too harsh. Maybe you went in with too high an expectation? Hydration was cold and adequate and that alone is at least a 3.5 in my books already. That said I see that there seems to be more issues (the bus booking app, dark and loopy route, lack of support...which dampens the entire race experience) compared to the previous editions, which I also think the organizers should look and fix them for the next edition. But I think there are many other races that are much more terrible in the race logistics than this, so a 2.5 or lower rating might not be exactly fair just because you pay a higher cost and enjoyed the run in the previous years, but of course you are entitled to your own opinions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Finally got my race review up after a morning of typing... There were quite a few logistics issues and hiccups.... enjoy the review....

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2019/04/07/race-review-2xu-compression-run-2019/

A few comments.

#1 I am a little surprised that after attending so many Pink Apple races, you still cannot recognise the MC from voice alone. It's JK and I think he's the de facto MC for almost all Pink Apple races. He's also a DJ on Power 98 FM. More info if you interested >> https://www.power98.com.sg/dj/jerald-justin-koh/

#2 To be exact, there was 48 portaloo. How do I know? I actually counted when I was waiting to use it. :crazysmile:

#3 "At around 4km-5km mark, runners were made to run through a dark tunnel. I saw light fittings but they weren’t switched on." You probably mean 400-500m. 4-5km is along Nicoll Highway. No dark tunnel along the route. 

#4 No muscle rub. Some medic were dispensing muscle rub from their own supply. But I guess you mean a muscle rub sponsor. 

Perhaps you would like to correct some of the above in your post esp #1. 

I agree with Bro beast that 2.5 rating is a bit harsh but of cos you are entitled to your opinion. :fish:

5 hours ago, lonewolf said:

10slm3.jpg

Is the Promontory from around 11 to 13k? If so, I concur! That loop felt horribly long and dreary! :lazy:

This is my 1st 2XU run, so I didn't notice any less crowd/ buzz... And I didn't get a sour aftertaste for Pocari Sweat :turned:

5 hours ago, yh90 said:

Got a PB of 1'32'13. (1'32'58 , ownself give 45sec time penalty due to distance accuracy issues)

got one tunnel that is dark and cant see.100m but accidents can happen. So many ppl got Garmin  measured either too short ,too long or just nice.

Is the HM route really shorter?!??? My Samsung measured 20.91km, so I thought it should be quite accurate...

I think I got a PB too, but if you are right, that's such a dampener!! :cray::cray::cray:

I believe I know which tunnel you are referring too. The kind souls around me switched on their torch lights, so that stretch didn't turn out to be too bad for me... I heard people around me mention that Organizers should have requested for lights to be switched on though, which I totally agree - assuming lights exist there!

4 hours ago, Haibei1971 said:

You must have been very fast! Coz when I passed that stretch, there was a volunteer shouting for runners to look out for the 3 steps.

13 minutes ago, sicklycat said:

Is the HM route really shorter?!??? My Samsung measured 20.91km, so I thought it should be quite accurate...

I think I got a PB too, but if you are right, that's such a dampener!! :cray::cray::cray:

I believe I know which tunnel you are referring too. The kind souls around me switched on their torch lights, so that stretch didn't turn out to be too bad for me... I heard people around me mention that Organizers should have requested for lights to be switched on though, which I totally agree - assuming lights exist there!

There are ppl who measured distance at 20.9x to 21.4x . Some measured shorter so I cannot be certain if distance is shorter ..

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, sicklycat said:

the Promontory from around 11 to 13k? If so, I concur! That loop felt horribly long and dreary

Promontory is around 18-19k? After MBS and before Collyer Quay. 13K should be at Fort Road. 

Yeah the F1 pit tunnel was bit dangerous without lighting and some places the lighting could be better  

My Garmin recorded 20.9k  

First time running 2XU in HM category so can’t comment about crowds but according to my friends who participated for the past 3 events, he claimed it was less crowded. 

If the price is okay, I don’t mind signing up for next year edition. Race tee and finisher tee quality and design are quite nice.  Medal is also quite nice. 

Edited by Arvin Tunas

3 minutes ago, yh90 said:

There are ppl who measured distance at 20.9x to 21.4x . Some measured shorter so I cannot be certain if distance is shorter ..

Yeah! I shall assume the route distance is accurate!! :jump:

4 minutes ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Promontory is around 18-19k? After MBS and before Collyer Quay. 13K should be at Fort Road. 

Ahhh... Thanks for clarifying!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sicklycat said:

Yeah! I shall assume the route distance is accurate!! :jump:

Hence in conclusion,I put 1'33 as my HM pb even if my actual is 1'32'13

Edited by yh90

I don't know how you guys have so much energy to immediately write reviews, after doing a HM that started at 4.30am... I was suffering from severe lack of sleep for me, and had to recuperate first! :lazy:

Would like to share my thoughts on my 1st 2XU event too!

• I couldn't wake up on time this morning, and only reached the site at 4.30am. Hence, was only flagged off at Wave 4 (5am). Of course, that's nobody's fault but my own!
  • I liked that the route had a lot of space to run (especially in the beginning), and also, that many runners really bothered to make an effort. In the past events of AHM/ SCMS (or is it SCSM?), there were always loads of walkers at the start of the route/ couples walking side-by-side, but I noticed less today. Throughout the route, most walkers also walked at the side (save for a few), and I didn't have to weave much through the crowd. I thought maybe 2XU attracts more serious runners, which is great!
  • The route had quite a few loops/ u-turns, which can get demoralising (especially the super long one between ~11k to ~13k)... But like others on this forum said before, a true runner does not complain about routes, so  I shan't gripe about this ^_^
  • Safety-wise, agree with you guys that they should do something about the lightings in that dark tunnel at the beginning of the route.
  • I love the ice cold water and Pocari Sweat! I carry my own (small) water bottle, and each time after they refill it, I used it as an "ice-pack" to cool myself during the run.:lol: And at most stations, I didn't have to wait for drinks. I thought the refreshments today had been well managed, compared to many of my previous events. 
  • I didn't notice anyone mention the lack of food/ bananas along the route... Is it because these are not important for you? Or did I miss these? I got super hungry at about 11k/ 12k, and luckily I had brought a pack of energy gel with me :D
  • During the run, my old knee injury started acting up. I spied a bunch of guys around a medic (I think it was near MBS), and decided to stop and get some remedy. Saw a guy with a muscle spray, and reached out to get his bottle after he was done. Oh man! Turned out it was his own!!! :blush: Luckily, he generously offered some of his spray, which helped me survive the near-disaster. He even left some words of encouragement, before going on his way. I think he mentioned something about 3k more - by then, I had lost track of distance, coz I missed some distance markers... If you are here in this forum, thank you!!! :bow:
  • My first 2XU tee, and I thought the quality is quite good! :thumbsup:
  • I didn't have a GPS watch, and was depending on the distance markers to know my pace during the race... I missed some markers in between, and was trying to run faster (thought I was too slow). As a result, got my PB (I think) :jump:

Can I ask how do you guys track your run timings? Any inexpensive options to share? I used to track in Excel but got lazy... So now, I need to check back on my physical certs, to see if I did get a PB today.

As for the rest of the stuff (bus/ race site atmosphere/ volunteer encouragement/ baggage/ ELM medal), these are not critical for me, so its ok for me even if they don't exist :)

I think I must have been super spoilt by GE Run - I remember there would be tonnes of photographers all over, and also quite a few random support stations offering drinks, and yes, muscle sprays - at godsend locations!! 2XU definitely doesn't have this added advantage :turned:

Will I sign up for this event again? If the price doesn't get too exorbitant, I will consider. Since I only join 1 or 2 events a year, I try to choose more quality/ well organised runs (by my own standard/ criteria) - That said, GE Run should still be tops (my only gripe with their event, is their apparel quality).

5 hours ago, beast said:

You brought up some very good points, especially the missing timing board at the end, and the lack of bananas or gels along the route (I didn't particularly think the portable toilets were insufficient - waited for 15 mins which I feel is reasonable, though providing more will definitely be a plus). 

You should email the organizers or at least comment on their fb page if you feel very strongly about your disappointments. If you just leave it as just a blog entry your voice will not be heard.

I feel the 2.5 rating is being a bit too harsh. Maybe you went in with too high an expectation? Hydration was cold and adequate and that alone is at least a 3.5 in my books already. That said I see that there seems to be more issues (the bus booking app, dark and loopy route, lack of support...which dampens the entire race experience) compared to the previous editions, which I also think the organizers should look and fix them for the next edition. But I think there are many other races that are much more terrible in the race logistics than this, so a 2.5 or lower rating might not be exactly fair just because you pay a higher cost and enjoyed the run in the previous years, but of course you are entitled to your own opinions

I did hashtag them I think... haaa...and yes I really have a high average expectation for this race... expectation is quite linearly proportional to the amount I pay... I pay $100 bucks for Japan marathon, I will ask expect a lot from it...haaa

2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

A few comments.

#1 I am a little surprised that after attending so many Pink Apple races, you still cannot recognise the MC from voice alone. It's JK and I think he's the de facto MC for almost all Pink Apple races. He's also a DJ on Power 98 FM. More info if you interested >> https://www.power98.com.sg/dj/jerald-justin-koh/

#2 To be exact, there was 48 portaloo. How do I know? I actually counted when I was waiting to use it. :crazysmile:

#3 "At around 4km-5km mark, runners were made to run through a dark tunnel. I saw light fittings but they weren’t switched on." You probably mean 400-500m. 4-5km is along Nicoll Highway. No dark tunnel along the route. 

#4 No muscle rub. Some medic were dispensing muscle rub from their own supply. But I guess you mean a muscle rub sponsor. 

Perhaps you would like to correct some of the above in your post esp #1. 

I agree with Bro beast that 2.5 rating is a bit harsh but of cos you are entitled to your opinion. :fish:

Thanks bro Lonewolf... 

32 minutes ago, sicklycat said:

I didn't notice anyone mention the lack of food/ bananas along the route... Is it because these are not important for you? Or did I miss these? I got super hungry at about 11k/ 12k, and luckily I had brought a pack of energy gel with me :D

I did write that in my blog... Cause I was hungry too.... haaa