Sign in to follow this  
jerrylam

Craze Ultra 2018 - 45km / 63km / 101km / 100 miles, 3rd - 4th November 2018

Singapore's favorite and most fun road ultra-marathon is back again!! The 7th Edition of the Craze Ultra will feature new routes for all categories. So to all new comers or veterans of the race, there's something for everyone here!!! Sign up now, and let the fun begins!!

Date: 3rd November 2018, Saturday 7.00am to 4h November 2018, Sunday 3.00pm 

Cut Off Time: 32 Hours

Distances: 43km / 74km / 100km / 100 Miles (161km)

Registration Fees: 

100 miles - $250

101km - $150

63km - $95

45km - $45

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CrazeUltra

Registration: http://www.runningguild.com/machform/view.php?id=50132

Race Routes:

100+miles+route+map+with+CP+%2526+5km+ma

101km+route+map+with+CP+%2526+5km+marker

63km+route+map+with+CP+%2526+5km+markers

45km+route+map+with+CP+%2526+5km+markers

Posted (edited)

My heart yearns to participate in the 100 miles event, just trying to break my comfort zone. My last experience was the Force of Nature 64km event. I would like to hear from past participants of Craze100 why I should sign up for this.

Edited by loderunner
type error: hear == heart

1 hour ago, loderunner said:

My heart yearns to participate in the 100 miles event, just trying to break my comfort zone. My last experience was the Force of Nature 64km event. I would like to hear from past participants of Craze100 why I should sign up for this.

How many 100km runs have you completed before and what is the average timing?

I only completed 1 100km run before, almost died. So until you are feeling comfortable with running  a 100km, suggest don't try the 100 miles at all.

I guess running on a trail with dirt and stones is a completely different experience than pavement racing. So I reckon a 100km road race is 'easier' on your sole than on a trail. There is little need to worry about your balance on a flat concrete surface than on uneven soft ground.

Dunno - 100km on trail vs 100km on road. Personally prefer trail or a mix up with more trail than road.

I have registered for the 101km event, hope i can complete the event for the 3rd time. 

Anyway, we r left wif 2 months to train/slack. cya soon :)

The 101km race has 2 choices of start time (7.15 AM or 5.00 PM). Only 2 ladies are in the 5.00 PM start time. It is cooler in the night so maybe it will help to finish the race. Anyone would like to share your comments on these 2 start times?

23 hours ago, loderunner said:

The 101km race has 2 choices of start time (7.15 AM or 5.00 PM). Only 2 ladies are in the 5.00 PM start time. It is cooler in the night so maybe it will help to finish the race. Anyone would like to share your comments on these 2 start times?

The only pro of starting at 5pm is the weather is much cooler to run in. Other than that, it is actually more challenging due to: 

- it has a shorter cut off time (you have 10 hours less to complete the race as you still need to cross the finish line before 3pm)

- You will need to fight the Z-monster  (those who start at 7am should finish around midnight to wee hours of the days, and can cab back to sleep the entire of next day, whereas those who start at 5pm will end around next day noon or so, and your body biological clock is completely disrupted)

On 9/9/2018 at 12:14 AM, loderunner said:

I prefer the 715h start off as

1. Start early and End early. Hopefully, Sunday can still go out. 

2. Can start together with the majority of the nuts, and soaked in the nutty ambiences and be inspired by these elites too.

I've just signed up for 101km too!! Like Simon, i'm aiming to complete this distance for the 3rd time. 

With regards to the discussions on the 2 different start times, personally i'll definitely pick 7.15am. First of all, 7.15am has more runners. On top of the many benefits already shared by everyone earlier, if you're is not familiar with the route, you can simply tag along with any of the many 101km runners. Unless you're running with a pacer/companion, starting at 5pm will also mean you'll spend almost the whole route alone. 

I'll aim to finish just after midnight so that i can go home to rest for the night. 

Last year (2017), we had 111 101-km finishers. At this time, we only had 55 signed-ups. I hope more runners can register soon before the Sunday deadline.

On the route, are we supposed to run on the left or right hand side of the road ?

On 9/13/2018 at 2:56 PM, loderunner said:

Last year (2017), we had 111 101-km finishers. At this time, we only had 55 signed-ups. I hope more runners can register soon before the Sunday deadline.

On the route, are we supposed to run on the left or right hand side of the road ?

74 participants as at now. 

As for which side to run, i didnt recce this new route. should be correct as long as w run on the PCN will be correct.

Cya!

Amazing! We have 86 101-km participants now. Congrats to all who have signed up to support this life-changing event.

Sorry, I like to ask anyone here who is running with a pacer. I am running alone as no one I know dares to take up this challenge to support me in this ultra. The question is: What are the pros and cons of having a pacer with you at this race?

In my opinion, there are only pros and no cons for running with a pacer. If you get an experienced pacer, not only can the pacer help with keeping you company, the pacer can also guide you in terms of when and what to consume along the route, when to run and when to walk, when to conserve energy, etc. The pacer will also pull you along, motivate you and keep you focused on your objective....which is to keep moving forward towards the finish line.

Not many runners can be your pacer throughout the whole ultra distance. But you can get a friend or a few friends taking turn to pace you for short distances, regardless if its only for 1 checkpoint to the next, or over certain segments of the route. You might not need a pacer for the first half of the race, cos you'll be starting the race with everyone else and can just tag along with anyone that goes at the same pace as you are. The pacer will be more relevant for the 2nd half of the race, when your energy, motivation, focus and mojo start to desert you 1 by 1 due to fatigue. Having a person which you can rely on navigating the route while you just follow like a zombie is a major plus point. 

Edited by jerrylam

For those who are still contemplating whether to sign up or not, event entry only registration is still available till 7 October. If you need a finisher souvenir (tee shirt / medal), feel free to write to us to check on the availability. Click HERE to sign up now.

PS: Familiarization Run 3 will be happening this Sunday from MR to CP3. Click HERE to find out more. 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, jerrylam said:

In my opinion, there are only pros and no cons for running with a pacer. If you get an experienced pacer, not only can the pacer help with keeping you company, the pacer can also guide you in terms of when and what to consume along the route, when to run and when to walk, when to conserve energy, etc. The pacer will also pull you along, motivate you and keep you focused on your objective....which is to keep moving forward towards the finish line.

Not many runners can be your pacer throughout the whole ultra distance. But you can get a friend or a few friends taking turn to pace you for short distances, regardless if its only for 1 checkpoint to the next, or over certain segments of the route. You might not need a pacer for the first half of the race, cos you'll be starting the race with everyone else and can just tag along with anyone that goes at the same pace as you are. The pacer will be more relevant for the 2nd half of the race, when your energy, motivation, focus and mojo start to desert you 1 by 1 due to fatigue. Having a person which you can rely on navigating the route while you just follow like a zombie is a major plus point. 

For me, I m quite an introvert and communicating with others for a long duration is quite "energy" draining. that's  y I prefer to be "alone" for most of the run...  🤣🤣🤣 

Yes, without a pacer like me, we will probably be alone running for a large portion of the route. I was at the familiarisation run from CP1 to CP3 last Sunday. In the morning at 7.50am, it started off as a good run along Upper Thomson Road but as we approached Yishun Ave 6, the sun started to torture us. Needless to say, the run from CP2 to CP3(Sembawang Park) was hot but good as there were many pedestrians on the pavement. This time, we were not alone. There is a fountain park just outside the Northpoint City where we can cool ourselves down. There were several construction along this avenue that we need to be careful. Along Sembawang Road towards the park, it was nice and shaddy. Overall, we took around 2.5 hours for the run (minus the short break at CP2). Unlike others, a new-found jogging friend and I decided to jog back to MacRitchie Reservoir. It was a walk-and-run experience as my calves were giving up. I ended up walking the whole stretch of Upper Thomson Road to MacRitchie!! I think I should train more next few weeks.

1 hour ago, loderunner said:

Yes, without a pacer like me, we will probably be alone running for a large portion of the route. I was at the familiarisation run from CP1 to CP3 last Sunday. In the morning at 7.50am, it started off as a good run along Upper Thomson Road but as we approached Yishun Ave 6, the sun started to torture us. Needless to say, the run from CP2 to CP3(Sembawang Park) was hot but good as there were many pedestrians on the pavement. This time, we were not alone. There is a fountain park just outside the Northpoint City where we can cool ourselves down. There were several construction along this avenue that we need to be careful. Along Sembawang Road towards the park, it was nice and shaddy. Overall, we took around 2.5 hours for the run (minus the short break at CP2). Unlike others, a new-found jogging friend and I decided to jog back to MacRitchie Reservoir. It was a walk-and-run experience as my calves were giving up. I ended up walking the whole stretch of Upper Thomson Road to MacRitchie!! I think I should train more next few weeks.

Another 5 weeks 5 days to go!!! cya!!!

Did a familiarisation run from CP1(Yishun Ave 6) to CP4 (Halus Wetlands) on Sunday morning from 6.30am. It was a nice jog. Here are some observation. (1) gradual uphill along Seletar North Link towards Punggol. Will be good for the return route. (2) Unbearably hot but there are still sporadic tree shades depending on the Sun position. (3) It was an easy run along the whole stretch of Punggol Promenade. (4) Halus Wetlands is a nice checkpoint with toilets but unlike Sembawang Park, the water cooler is not cold. Time taken to complete 1:27.  Distance shown on my PS watch=13.82km. Overall, this is a route we should capitalise for good timing.

Posted (edited)
On 10/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, loderunner said:

Did a familiarisation run from CP1(Yishun Ave 6) to CP4 (Halus Wetlands) on Sunday morning from 6.30am. It was a nice jog. Here are some observation. (1) gradual uphill along Seletar North Link towards Punggol. Will be good for the return route. (2) Unbearably hot but there are still sporadic tree shades depending on the Sun position. (3) It was an easy run along the whole stretch of Punggol Promenade. (4) Halus Wetlands is a nice checkpoint with toilets but unlike Sembawang Park, the water cooler is not cold. Time taken to complete 1:27.  Distance shown on my PS watch=13.82km. Overall, this is a route we should capitalise for good timing.

That's fast, think i will need at least 2hr+ to complete CP1 to CP4. Anyway, my 5 cents sharing for this stretch.

1. Do note that It will be hot by the time we start running that stretch... the heat will be a killer for runners who did not heat-conditioned  

2. Do remember to fill up your water bottles for this stretch... as the next nearest water point is the toilets are Marina Country Club (~7km away from CP1).

3. For the return legged, it is gonna be a bit dark and do watch out for your safety (i.e. stray dogs and cyclist on the pavement, do not run on the road as the vehicles are quite fast and reckless at night) 

Edited by simonleng

5 hours ago, simonleng said:

That's fast, think i will need at least 2hr+ to complete CP1 to CP4. Anyway, my 5 cents sharing for this stretch.

1. Do note that It will be hot by the time we start running that stretch... the heat will be a killer for runners who did not heat-conditioned  

2. Do remember to fill up your water bottles for this stretch... as the next nearest water point is the toilets are Marina Country Club (~7km away from CP1).

3. For the return legged, it is gonna be a bit dark and do watch out for your safety (i.e. stray dogs and cyclist on the pavement, do not run on the road as the vehicles are quite fast and reckless at night) 

There is toilet at Marina Country Club...get a towel and wear with visor to shade from the sun...