Sign in to follow this  
jerrylam

Craze Ultra 2018 - 45km / 63km / 101km / 100 miles, 3rd - 4th November 2018

10 hours ago, prisangel said:

Eh well my sense of direction is quite bad and e.g. I might read the map as left turn when it’s actually supposed to be right turn.... of course I wouldn’t want to lead a runner astray, but... sometimes unexpected things happen... 

If you keep thinking about all the negative things/ excuses then good things won't happen........

There are signages, the runner himself/herself will also do his/her own homework, there are runners around as well.......chances of you misleading the runner is very low.....

Even if it does, it will sure make a good story for your blog.......isn't that what blogging about? sharing new experiences in life?

3 hours ago, medic said:

45k is just ~ 3km more... :P

If she's running a 42km at BQ pace...another 1km will also die hahaha

4 hours ago, beast said:

If you keep thinking about all the negative things/ excuses then good things won't happen........

There are signages, the runner himself/herself will also do his/her own homework, there are runners around as well.......chances of you misleading the runner is very low.....

Even if it does, it will sure make a good story for your blog.......isn't that what blogging about? sharing new experiences in life?

Hmmm ... while it may make a good story for my blog, I'll have a very angry and annoyed runner on my hands  ...

Edited by prisangel

36 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

If she's running a 42km at BQ pace...another 1km will also die hahaha

Totally agree. Right now can barely manage HM at that pace let alone FM. Haha

Edited by prisangel

Just an innocent question... Besides courage, what else do u need to transit from completing 101km to attempting  100miles within 32hours??? 

On 11/9/2018 at 12:43 PM, prisangel said:

Hmmm ... while it may make a good story for my blog, I'll have a very angry and annoyed runner on my hands  ...

as a runner you don't want attempt...as a pacer you don't want attempt too... lol...

From this graph, I can see that this year, many runners slowed down at the Yishun-to-Halus segment when it was super hot. Lesson learnt for me is I started out too fast. The 1st male runner's pace was way too fast for us (see yellow line).

pace.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 4:08 PM, simonleng said:

Just an innocent question... Besides courage, what else do u need to transit from completing 101km to attempting  100miles within 32hours??? 

An unsound mind?

Lots of weekends to sacrifice for running LSDs?

11 hours ago, loderunner said:

From this graph, I can see that this year, many runners slowed down at the Yishun-to-Halus segment when it was super hot. Lesson learnt for me is I started out too fast. The 1st male runner's pace was way too fast for us (see yellow line).

pace.jpg

No surprise. The route has no shelter, no scenery to motivate runners mentally, and it just hit beyond the marathon distance that many are used to.

9 hours ago, beast said:

An unsound mind?

Lots of weekends to sacrifice for running LSDs?

Was contemplating to participate in the 100 miles in the event in 2019 ... I mean if there is gonna be one event next yr....

After completing 3  101km event in the last 3 years, i am still unsure if i am ready to conquer the ultimate YOLO challenge and be the super nut...

Anybody can share how did they overcome the huddle?

20 hours ago, loderunner said:

What i have learnt in the past few participation is .... "Slow is Fast" :) 

On 11/10/2018 at 4:08 PM, simonleng said:

First, it has to do with courage to make the decision. Similar to runners making the leap from 21km to 42km. Once you've decided, then you've gotta plan and strategize. 

My plan was pretty simple the last time round. Complete the first 100km within 19 hours, and i'll have the last 13 hours to walk the remaining 60km. 

21 hours ago, loderunner said:

pace.jpg

The 1st male runner, Amir, is a seasoned ultra runner. Last year, we ran the 100 miles side by side from the start until the 80km mark where he decided to take a shower and dinner break at CP8 (now CP6) while i continued after stopping for only 10 mins. He overtook me at the 150km mark looking fresher and stronger, and finished almost 45 mins in front of me, which shows his experience in tackling such ultra distance races. 

This year, he adopted a run-light strategy. Carrying with him the bare minimal so he can charge out right from the start. He has been training and planning for it, while his experience will also guide him on his fuel intake, when to speed up and slow down. No an easy feat against so many strong 101km ultra runners this year, but he did it. 

As for me, i was only hoping for the rain to come. When the weather was getting warm towards noon, i went really really slow. I also didn't bother to run at all along the Seletar North stretch to conserve as much energy as possible, so that i can have some reserves in my tank to go a bit faster once the weather cools down or when the sun sets. It started pouring on and off from around 2pm until the evening , and my prayers were answered. The cooling weather enabled me to move at a consistent and comfortable jogging pace all the way from CP4 towards Bedok Reservoir and back to the finish line. 

44 minutes ago, simonleng said:

Was contemplating to participate in the 100 miles in the event in 2019 ... I mean if there is gonna be one event next yr....

After completing 3  101km event in the last 3 years, i am still unsure if i am ready to conquer the ultimate YOLO challenge and be the super nut...

Anybody can share how did they overcome the huddle?

Well, I think you should do it once and be done with it, if your mind keep thinking of how would it feels like to tackle the 100 miles. That will also allow you to understand your body/limit better.

For me, when I tackle the 101km, it was also a self-discovering journey on how my body will take be able to take the distance. After that, I know that based on how badly I have hurt my body, that is my limit that I am able to go, and I will never take on anything beyond that. 

6 hours ago, jerrylam said:

First, it has to do with courage to make the decision. Similar to runners making the leap from 21km to 42km. Once you've decided, then you've gotta plan and strategize. 

My plan was pretty simple the last time round. Complete the first 100km within 19 hours, and i'll have the last 13 hours to walk the remaining 60km. 

After seeing you completing the 100miles event last year, and u zoom past me this  year.... i  compared and thought that i might need a lot more  training before i can attempt this impossible feat.

5 hours ago, beast said:

Well, I think you should do it once and be done with it, if your mind keep thinking of how would it feels like to tackle the 100 miles. That will also allow you to understand your body/limit better.

For me, when I tackle the 101km, it was also a self-discovering journey on how my body will take be able to take the distance. After that, I know that based on how badly I have hurt my body, that is my limit that I am able to go, and I will never take on anything beyond that. 

true... will attempt it if i am defining this 100miler as a YOLO event for my life. That is 'if'... haaaaa

Edited by simonleng

19 hours ago, simonleng said:

After seeing you completing the 100miles event last year, and u zoom past me this  year.... i  compared and thought that i might need a lot more  training before i can attempt this impossible feat.

Most importantly, you know deep inside yourself you've already got 3 solid 101km finishes, and you're improving with each race. At the end of each race, you feel better too. You're more experienced and your body is now seasoned to ultra running.

Yes, definitely more training and preparations are required to tackle a 100 miles race. But if you don't sign up (assuming Craze is back next year), you'll not be training for it, and you'll never find out. Will it be difficult? Yes. Is it impossible? No. 

4 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Most importantly, you know deep inside yourself you've already got 3 solid 101km finishes, and you're improving with each race. At the end of each race, you feel better too. You're more experienced and your body is now seasoned to ultra running.

Yes, definitely more training and preparations are required to tackle a 100 miles race. But if you don't sign up (assuming Craze is back next year), you'll not be training for it, and you'll never find out. Will it be difficult? Yes. Is it impossible? No. 

wow, super inspirational sia!!! let's wait n see if they can confirm CU19 early. if really cfmn to happen, i think i will need at least 6 months to train sia... 

1 hour ago, simonleng said:

wow, super inspirational sia!!! let's wait n see if they can confirm CU19 early. if really cfmn to happen, i think i will need at least 6 months to train sia... 

I don't think CU will be announced 6 months in advanced.  You can start training progressively after CNY. After they announce you can then step up on your training? If in the event that nothing is announced, you can still join the other ultras as a finishing point for your training.

2 hours ago, beast said:

I don't think CU will be announced 6 months in advanced.  You can start training progressively after CNY. After they announce you can then step up on your training? If in the event that nothing is announced, you can still join the other ultras as a finishing point for your training.

roger that. let me thing about it first :)

Sharing the short videos I have taken during CU2018. Enjoy!!!! :)

BTW, Pardon my broken singlish. And do turn on the subtitle before viewing :)

Edited by simonleng

On 10/25/2018 at 10:35 AM, prisangel said:

Lol you guys are all so funny.

Well... Autumn always says he does not want to join in this race, yet I notice that he contributes to the discussion every year though. Hahah...

see... this year i kept muted... haaa... not really due to what u said, but cause of work and family commitments...haaaa... so just the right time... else I will be caught in the midst of Simon and Beast....

Congrats once again to all CU nuts who completed and even attempted the race... so happy for all of you....  and i hope there will still be CU19 so that the ultra community can continue to thrive...

3 hours ago, simonleng said:

Steady lah brudder!!! Can also see my brief 'guest appearance' in the CP6 and CP5 return videos LOL

You'll need one set of videos for 100 miles to complete the collection.

11 hours ago, simonleng said:

Enjoyed watching your handsome sunshine smiling face and your ability to still talk steadily and smile at every single check point. :)

Just wondering, did you guys really continue to walk/run when it poured heavily, like in your returning CP5, or wait it out, thus sacrificing may be 30 mins of the time?

35 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

Enjoyed watching your handsome sunshine smiling face and your ability to still talk steadily and smile at every single check point. :)

Just wondering, did you guys really continue to walk/run when it poured heavily, like in your returning CP5, or wait it out, thus sacrificing may be 30 mins of the time?

I ran through the rain! Best moments of the race for me. Really enjoyed it although the clothes and shoes got heavier. Wished it had rained longer.