Sign in to follow this  
jerrylam

Craze Ultra 2018 - 45km / 63km / 101km / 100 miles, 3rd - 4th November 2018

6 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Running Guild do organize a few fully self sufficient ultras such as Monster 200km and Singapore 200 miles. These 2 are 'fun runs' without the checkpoints, tracking, medical support and etc associated with the usual races. Should Craze Ultra really not gonna happen again, these can be alternatives to single stage, non-looping ultras here. 

However, they'll never be as fun as Craze Ultra. The success of Craze Ultra doesn't lie just with the organizer and competitors, but also has much to do with the volunteers at the checkpoints. The 1st thing that comes to my mind for Craze Ultra is actually the checkpoints and volunteers. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this is not the last one.

IMO, this is an exciting foot race organised for serious runners by serious runner.

What I love about CU include (1) Nutty Race Director & team; (2) passionate volunteers who sacrificed their weekends (and zzz) to man checkpoints; and (3) Runners who never fail to inspire other runners. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed too... 

Edited by simonleng

7 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

It's really different to be so welcomed at each and every checkpoint along the way as a competitor, vs being a visitor/supporter at the checkpoints. Some parts of the route is so tough that arriving at the checkpoints and experiencing the hospitality rendered by the volunteers is like VVIP treatment. You don't have to push yourself for 101km or above, but even a 45km or 63km will be enough to experience Craze Ultra again....if there's a next edition.

45km liao... No half marathon category? Lol! Think the only way I can experience Craze again is via team relay. I don’t think my legs can push beyond marathon distance these days. 

Hmm 101km as a four person relay... but all my friends are ultra kakis.... 

Edited by prisangel

3 hours ago, prisangel said:

LOL think you scared him off... haha

What recertification? Once a finisher, always a finisher. Haha 

but the finisher t shirt might need to renew... cya you next yr :)

5 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

It's really different to be so welcomed at each and every checkpoint along the way as a competitor, vs being a visitor/supporter at the checkpoints. Some parts of the route is so tough that arriving at the checkpoints and experiencing the hospitality rendered by the volunteers is like VVIP treatment. You don't have to push yourself for 101km or above, but even a 45km or 63km will be enough to experience Craze Ultra again....if there's a next edition.

fully agree w u. the checkpoints are really life savers sia. 

2 minutes ago, simonleng said:

but the finisher t shirt might need to renew... cya you next yr :)

Lol! Simon you ah..

Yea I am thinking of running Craze again but only in relay format with about 25-30km per pax. I don’t think I can push myself till 101km or 100 Miles. Body getting old. 

12 minutes ago, prisangel said:

Lol! Simon you ah..

Yea I am thinking of running Craze again but only in relay format with about 25-30km per pax. I don’t think I can push myself till 101km or 100 Miles. Body getting old. 

hmmmm..... u win liao... body getting old.......... anyway, we will try to poison you from now till the next CU. haaaa :)

Edited by simonleng

13 minutes ago, prisangel said:

45km liao... No half marathon category? Lol! Think the only way I can experience Craze again is via team relay. I don’t think my legs can push beyond marathon distance these days. 

Hmm 101km as a four person relay... but all my friends are ultra kakis.... 

I don't believe you can't run another 3km from your usual 42km...unless you're running it like you'll be running a Sundown or SCSM. But still....might be a bit too late now even if you wanna sign up regardless of distance. The consolation is that you've been certified 101km Nuts at least once. 

16 minutes ago, prisangel said:

Lol! Simon you ah..

I read somewhere that stats actually show that ultra runners tend to be older age groups. So you’ll likely be running farther and not shorter. Haha

4 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I read somewhere that stats actually show that ultra runners tend to be older age groups. So you’ll likely be running farther and not shorter. Haha

Cos old people can't run fast anymore...so they run further to compensate 😅

On 11/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, wonderfulblevic said:

Enjoyed the event event though I got lost few times hehe.  BTW, I heard next year no more craze ultra?!?  is it true?

Every year there are always the logistics challenges that made Ben think he should stop organizing it again the next year. But I think he knows that the race is getting a lot of love and support from a lot of the ultra runners here and nearby countries, so he wants to do it as far as he possibly can.

The run needs to think of a way to re-invent itself to entice new runners so that it becomes more financially viable to continue running it. The pool of runners wanting to run and redo this is too small, and many runners are signing up mainly because they know Ben personally and want to support him.

That said, if there is a Craze Ultra again next year, depending on the distances available and route, will consider re-certify one of the shorter distances.

4 hours ago, simonleng said:

hmmmm..... u win liao... body getting old.......... anyway, we will try to poison you from now till the next CU. haaaa :)

Hahah best to work your poison on AR le. He hasn’t experimented with craze ultra yet. Lol 

4 hours ago, jerrylam said:

I don't believe you can't run another 3km from your usual 42km...unless you're running it like you'll be running a Sundown or SCSM. But still....might be a bit too late now even if you wanna sign up regardless of distance. The consolation is that you've been certified 101km Nuts at least once. 

My legs and body are already broken after 42KM le. How to still push 3KM more? My 101KM was when I was still young and reckless and I didn’t know better. Hahah 

I guess at least I’ve still got the medal and tee from that 101KM run and will continue to keep it ... Hope Craze ultra continues to be staged. 

Edited by prisangel

3 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

HMM nice try... Hahah 

3 hours ago, beast said:

Every year there are always the logistics challenges that made Ben think he should stop organizing it again the next year. But I think he knows that the race is getting a lot of love and support from a lot of the ultra runners here and nearby countries, so he wants to do it as far as he possibly can.

The run needs to think of a way to re-invent itself to entice new runners so that it becomes more financially viable to continue running it. The pool of runners wanting to run and redo this is too small, and many runners are signing up mainly because they know Ben personally and want to support him.

That said, if there is a Craze Ultra again next year, depending on the distances available and route, will consider re-certify one of the shorter distances.

Lemme know if you want to join one of the shorter distances in relay format, if there is a Craze ultra next year, k? Hahah 

5 minutes ago, prisangel said:

Lemme know if you want to join one of the shorter distances in relay format, if there is a Craze ultra next year, k? Hahah 

No more relay le lah. So many years don't have relay format liao.

BUT there is something else better. And best of all, its FOC.

It's called.......PACER.

18 minutes ago, beast said:

It's called.......PACER.

Oh ya hor got pacer...

AR conspicuously quiet. Haha. If he do 101km or 100 miles, I volunteer to pace him for 30km. 

35 minutes ago, beast said:

It's called.......PACER.

Eh... but pacer need to be familiar with runner needs and wants, take care of runner nutrition, go all out to look after runner, make sure runner don’t fall asleep at Cp, lead runner in right direction, cannot be too fast/slow compared to runner pace, etc, etc. Right? 

Edited by prisangel

11 hours ago, prisangel said:

Eh... but pacer need to be familiar with runner needs and wants, take care of runner nutrition, go all out to look after runner, make sure runner don’t fall asleep at Cp, lead runner in right direction, cannot be too fast/slow compared to runner pace, etc, etc. Right? 

Yes........... you are not going to say your body is too old for this as well, are you? :(

3 hours ago, beast said:

Yes........... you are not going to say your body is too old for this as well, are you? :(

she has been training with a coach...should be getting stronger, no? :)

3 hours ago, beast said:

No I'm not gonna say I'm too old for this.

But I don't think I'm equipped to look after a runner; high chance I'll fall asleep myself at the CP and the runner may have to wake me up instead. Or else I'll lead the runner astray and make a wrong turn, end up runner would have to clock 10km extra and curse me for it. So do you still want me to pace? Lol!

21 minutes ago, prisangel said:

No I'm not gonna say I'm too old for this.

But I don't think I'm equipped to look after a runner; high chance I'll fall asleep myself at the CP and the runner may have to wake me up instead. Or else I'll lead the runner astray and make a wrong turn, end up runner would have to clock 10km extra and curse me for it. So do you still want me to pace? Lol!

Alamak you don't have to pace him for the whole run. You can pace him in the hours that you are comfortable with.

I am sure you are not so irresponsible to lead the runner astray. You would have know the route well or have the map available at your convenience before the run.

So...........we see you pace in the next Craze Ultra?

4 hours ago, beast said:

I guess its just a matter of how bad a person wants it. If i want it bad enough, i'll sign up and run Craze Ultra even if i'm 70. 

20181108_141005.thumb.jpg.a98346c323925da4c18627246163b819.jpg

38 minutes ago, medic said:

she has been training with a coach...should be getting stronger, no? :)

The coach is not coaching her to run ultras i guess 

8 hours ago, beast said:

Alamak you don't have to pace him for the whole run. You can pace him in the hours that you are comfortable with.

I am sure you are not so irresponsible to lead the runner astray. You would have know the route well or have the map available at your convenience before the run.

So...........we see you pace in the next Craze Ultra?

Eh well my sense of direction is quite bad and e.g. I might read the map as left turn when it’s actually supposed to be right turn.... of course I wouldn’t want to lead a runner astray, but... sometimes unexpected things happen... 

Edited by prisangel

8 hours ago, jerrylam said:

The coach is not coaching her to run ultras i guess 

His focus is on marathons (42.195km)