Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Challenge32 - 11 Nov 18 (Sun)

Yet another change of race sponsor.

Newton is out. Inov is in.

And the race is now known as 'THE 32K/16K INOV-8 CHALLENGE' How imaginative :crazysmile:  

Same same But Different. Both Newton and Inov are distributed by Key Power Sports. 

Just received this email...

========================

Race is canceled? NO IT'S NOT :D Got you worried for a moment didn't we?
Now that we have your attention. Please read this email carefully.
We need your help in some parts and be clear about the race

BAG DEPOSIT is available at $5 per pax.
Fill up the form before 30 Oct 2018
We would send you a link to purchase a slot after 31st Oct

Start/End: Jumbo Seafood Center Area

========================

Why they charge us on the Bag Deposit??? And $5.......... I did never ever pay for this before........ 

59 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Just received this email...

========================

Race is canceled? NO IT'S NOT :D Got you worried for a moment didn't we?
Now that we have your attention. Please read this email carefully.
We need your help in some parts and be clear about the race

BAG DEPOSIT is available at $5 per pax.
Fill up the form before 30 Oct 2018
We would send you a link to purchase a slot after 31st Oct

Start/End: Jumbo Seafood Center Area

========================

Why they charge us on the Bag Deposit??? And $5.......... I did never ever pay for this before........ 

Besides the shocking price for a bag deposit, who approved the English that is in this email? 

Heng ah, almost sign up but didn't. 

$5 bag deposit must be the most shocking charge in all these years. Must pay for drinks too?

REAL Run did impose only $1 fee several years back when held at Changi, but all money collected were for charity.  

I guess I have confirmation now that almost no one bothers to read the info I posted on the 1st post. :crazysmile:

The $5 deposit bag fee is something that I had highlighted quite early from the FAQ and posted in the 1st post. And while it is uncommon, this is definitely not the first race to do so. I rem the now-retired Jurong Lake Run also charged baggage deposit fee. But that was for $1 IIRC. $5 is kind of hefty. 

I have a contrarian view of the baggage deposit fee though I used it for every race that I joined. With most races, the baggage deposit fee is included regardless of whether you use the service or not. So those who do not use the service is actually cross-subsidising those who do use the service. 

If charging for bag deposits help to keep race fee down, then it should be OK. Unfortunately, most participants would not look at it this way but see the baggage deposit as an additional charge collected by the race organiser. 

5 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I guess I have confirmation now that almost no one bothers to read the info I posted on the 1st post. :crazysmile:

The $5 deposit bag fee is something that I had highlighted quite early from the FAQ and posted in the 1st post. And while it is uncommon, this is definitely not the first race to do so. I rem the now-retired Jurong Lake Run also charged baggage deposit fee. But that was for $1 IIRC. $5 is kind of hefty. 

I have a contrarian view of the baggage deposit fee though I used it for every race that I joined. With most races, the baggage deposit fee is included regardless of whether you use the service or not. So those who do not use the service is actually cross-subsidising those who do use the service. 

If charging for bag deposits help to keep race fee down, then it should be OK. Unfortunately, most participants would not look at it this way but see the baggage deposit as an additional charge collected by the race organiser. 

Hmmm was it added into the first post much later or on day 1? Not sure about the others but I honestly don't re-read it after the first time, or pay attention much if it is not a run that I sign up for. I am sure this will be more of a talking point if it is brought up for discussion in posts.

Yup been to a couple of runs that charge baggage fees many years back, but $5 is unheard of. 

For baggage deposit, I see it more like it is a service that should be there for all and be included as part of the fees, regardless of whether you have a need or not. Otherwise, there could be even more things that runners can claim they should not be charged simply because they don't use it. E.g. Should portal toilets be charged $0.20 for those who use it then?  Or impose a charge to those that seek medical help/ambulances during the run, which is surely the minority? 

Hiya! basically nowadays everything in Singapore is all about m:money:ney, m:money:ney and m:money:ney . Charging for baggage is not surprising. What is surprising will be what other thing will race organiser think of charging next.

The only way to prevent such exploitation is to vote against these types of races with our........MONEY! (by not participating)

Fair enough.

Not all info is available when I start a new race topic. I will usually update the 1st post when the information is available. 

In this case, the info was probably added sometime later. So it's understandable if fellow forum members overlooked it. 

@beast I see where you are coming from but there must be some reasonableness to what is charged or not charged as 'extra'. The things that you mentioned like toilets and medical services would be not reasonable to charge on a per use basis. Just like shuttle buses to the race site are chargeable but bridging shuttle buses are not.  

Setting an appropriate expectation is very important to us... I have done that with YOLO run, now, let me do it again!

Over the years, managing bags deposit have always been done by volunteers - usually students or senior citizens. Is this race so short of them, so much so they have to hire personnel to work this time? 

Last year was the last Newton Challenge Run for all of us... coincidence with the 2017 motto "THERE IS NO FULL STOP"... (a hint ?)

The FULL STOP could be due to high cost ??? (race singlet, finisher tee, socks, finisher medal, breakfast and ...)

I've forgo the Mizuno Wave Run 2010 and opted for Newton Challenge 2010 30 km (completed 3 loops of 10km on 10.10.10 auspicious day) at ECP Big Splash (Netwon Challenge's birth place)...

This year have to run my own "Newton Challenge" LSD as prelude for SCSM...

This is the refresh of the yearly motto...

2013 Only The Best Completes

2014 Nothing Beats The Best

2015 Conquer Your Mind

2016 Achievement Unlocked

2017 There Is No Full Stop      (we will carry on....)

newton_challenge_2013.png.81dffd1e590a7d23ae56d02e68bdbf1f.pngnewton_challenge_2014.png.dfad81d18020fc6f97e57c5b15c165e3.pngnewton-challenge-2015.png.a7c3e646d6562483107956eabe36a334.pngnewton-challenge-2016.png.9ec055d16ab8324a51f777fa41fe81f3.pngnewton-challenge-2017.thumb.png.ea7712f44baa7dd338720dd953074560.png

5 hours ago, K!m said:

I wonder who will do a self-sufficient 42.195km online challenge. ?

Official rules: You can complete the race/challenge in a single time or in a combination of multiple times during the qualifying period as indicated in the criteria for each category

That's one of the attractions of online events. You are usually allowed a period of time to clock up the required distance to get the medals. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, lonewolf said:

Fair enough.

Not all info is available when I start a new race topic. I will usually update the 1st post when the information is available. 

In this case, the info was probably added sometime later. So it's understandable if fellow forum members overlooked it. 

@beast I see where you are coming from but there must be some reasonableness to what is charged or not charged as 'extra'. The things that you mentioned like toilets and medical services would be not reasonable to charge on a per use basis. Just like shuttle buses to the race site are chargeable but bridging shuttle buses are not.  

Hmm ok take for example bridging shuttle buses vs baggage deposit. Not everyone would use the bridging shuttle buses as well, coz there will be people who take the buses direct to race site, or have their own transport. But the cost is factored into the registration fees for all, so should it also charge on a per use basis?

My point is it is a grey area as to what should be included in the fees and what is viewed as "extra". I still think it is best to charge everything in one fee. It feels "cleaner" that way. Unless the savings from doing so is really passed back to the customers (i.e. reduced $5 from previous year if you want to charge $5 for baggage deposit this year), which we won't really get to know as such transparency is never going to be released to the public.

21 hours ago, prisangel said:

Actually the original Newton Challenge is back in early 2019, but they've changed it to an online format.

https://www.spacebib.com/events/view/newton-online-challenge-2019-411#overview

LOL everyone just wanna associate the Newton brand with themselves and termed it the original Newton Challenge.

Unless it is held in Oct-Nov and in an offline format, this won't feel like the original Newton Challenge.

On 10/26/2018 at 6:18 PM, tmttmt said:

Over the years, managing bags deposit have always been done by volunteers - usually students or senior citizens. Is this race so short of them, so much so they have to hire personnel to work this time? 

Its not just about manpower but operating cost as well. If you know the demand of the baggage deposit ahead of the event, you will know how many shelves you need to indent and that in turn affects how big a tentage needed for the baggage section. All these cost money. 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:19 PM, activerun said:

Thank You Pris for the info!

Unfortunately Virtual Run is not for me.

Welcome! 

On 10/27/2018 at 4:43 PM, K!m said:

I wonder who will do a self-sufficient 42.195km online challenge. ?

There are some, I believe. I know one runner who ran a self sufficient 42.195km run in the wee hours of the morning about three weeks before Sundown Marathon. 

Good weather, ample water points. Weird tasting isotonic which alternate with plain water roughly every 2km.

Turnout is decent. No congestion. One refueling station at 22km mark. Gel, banana, watermelons  chocolate. 

After run meal includes fried bee hoon, noodle, rice, ice cream, yeo's packet drinks. I took the fried noodle and ice cream. Taste bad, didn't finish the noodle. Lol