Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Challenge32 - 11 Nov 18 (Sun)

Posted (edited)

1759401697_2018-11-11Challenge32.jpg.2647c943447f94d50e19e02cedd8e264.jpg

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/runpilgrim/

Registration (32K): https://store.runpilgrim.com/product/2018-newton-challenge-32k/
Registration (16K): https://store.runpilgrim.com/product/2018-newton-challenge-16k/
Registration (5.5K): https://store.runpilgrim.com/product/2018-11eleven-5k-singles-fun-run/

Registration Fee:

Super Early Bird (Till Aug 26): $39.90 (32K) $34.90 (16K) $24.90 (5.5K)
Early Bird (Till Sep 23): $49.90 (32K)$39.90 (16K) $29.90 (5.5K)
Regular (Till Oct 21): $59.90 (32K) $49.90 (16K) $39.90 (5.5K)

Flag Off: 4.30am (32K) 5.30am (16K) 7.30am (5.5K)

Race Entitlement

• Event Shirt (Choice of Blue or Mint for 32K/16K. Orange for 5.5K)
  • Finisher Medal
  • Race Bib

fa7779_510da8bf18524252bee0b91172a796cb~

fa7779_b4054d00f32f4d34a4742c70c224a96a~

fa7779_43bde646056e4ba793d5b3967d4103eb~

fa7779_3fbea8ed4aa3430383457ec6988ac271~

Information from FAQ

• Bag Deposit: To bring costs down and not to charge the service to those that do not need it, bag deposit service is provided for those that require, at a charge of $5 payable during race pack collection. Bags are limited to a standard drawstring bag size (approximately 28cm x 40cm).
  • Shuttle service: Hard-pressed to put together a last-minute event upon understanding that the annual Newton Challenge may not be happening, focus will be on the race itself. However, discussions have been initiated with bus service providers and updates will be made should there be a solution.

Race Pack Collection

Friday, November 2, 1pm – 7pm
Saturday, November 3, 1pm – 7pm
Venue TBC

[COMMENT] It's not the Newton Challenge that many of us are waiting for but NC is no longer the only pre-SCSM 32K taper race in town. Very cheap race fee so I'm guessing many would join up despite the unknown pedigree of the race organiser who remains unknown as of now. And if some eager-eyed wise guy can figure out who the race organiser is, pls do share with the rest of us, preferable in a humble way without inflating your ego in the process. :crazysmile:

So anyone joining this race? 

Edited by lonewolf

Price not bad, timing and distance just nice for those training for the FM for SCSM2018. 

Posted (edited)

If I am not wrong, runpilgrim is that ultrarunner call Ah Siao. Last time he organize those funny theme runs like teh terik run, prata run, durian run and recently a ice cream run.

I ran the durian one before. It was well  organized.

Likely will sign up, as i am likely to procrastinate doing a 30km lsd on my own . 

Edited by Ender

Price is very reasonable but don't think I want to do loops at ECP.

Medal looks nice though.

Didn't know there was an ice cream run this year!

The race featured an innovative 'Limited Edition' Paper Cup during the race.

Check this out

Hydration
Bring your own bottles. Hydration points are set roughly 3km apart. The first wave of runners can choose not to bring their bottles. Subsequent waves are encouraged to bring their own bottles to refill. This is our Green initiative to reduce use of plastic cups

So if only a limited no of paper cups is provided only for the 1st wave, then it means that the 16K runners will also not be provided with paper cups for hydration. 

Another thing to consider for those thinking about signing up for the race. Especially those (like me) who do not like BYOB races. 

On 8/15/2018 at 12:01 PM, lonewolf said:

The race featured an innovative 'Limited Edition' Paper Cup during the race.

Check this out

So if only a limited no of paper cups is provided only for the 1st wave, then it means that the 16K runners will also not be provided with paper cups for hydration. 

Another thing to consider for those thinking about signing up for the race. Especially those (like me) who do not like BYOB races. 

Bring a cup instead :)

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Bring a cup instead :)

SSBD or as we like to say in the army LPPL -_-

On 8/15/2018 at 7:01 PM, lonewolf said:

Especially those (like me) who do not like BYOB races. 

so spoilt some sgrunners. want the race be dirt cheap also want this want that  

14 hours ago, bookie said:

so spoilt some sgrunners. want the race be dirt cheap also want this want that  

I think that's an over-generalisation. If you do not mind running a BYOB race, then good for you; but I don't think it's necessary to call your fellow sgrunners 'spoilt' right? 

It's not unreasonable for race organisers to provide cups at hydration stations. Frankly, that should be a given unless there are restrictions in place because of where the race is being held.

And of cos, 'cheap' is relative. Many people would question how 'cheap' a race that is held in a public park really is. 

So it's not a matter of being spoilt or what not. It's just a matter of preference. If I am going to pay for a race that is held in a public park, I would prefer not to have to BYOB as well.

However, I do appreciate the organisers being upfront about it so at least we can make an informed decision. Worse would be to inform us late (after we registered) or not even informed us at all and have a big problem on race day.

ah sia9 and his boys are trying. can either support true runners, or continue giving money to pink apple and x-change republic

Website banner is changed. It's Newton Challenge. 

Untitled.png

Posted (edited)

1st post updated with new information including the newly announced 5.5K fun run. 

The hydration information has been updated. The 'Limited Edition'  Paper Cup information has been removed and FAQ updated with the assurance that sufficient cups will be provided but participants are encouraged to bring their own bottles/cups to minimise waste. 

Those planning to sign up for this 'alternate' Newton Challenge, pls note that the super early bird rate ends 26 Aug 

I'm not sure if this race should count for those on a 'Newton Challenge' streak. Technically, the race is still called 'Challenge 32'

Edited by lonewolf

Signed up liao. Needed that push to do a >30km LSD before SCSM.  I know I will not do one on my own. 

There is a few things i dun understand, 

1) If its not the real Newton challenge, how can they suka suka call themselves "Newton Challenge" Is'nt it somehow copy right infringement ? Totally wrong ! Copy is ok, but it seems like a stingy race....

2) It was mentioned "Shuttle service: Hard-pressed to put together a last-minute event", They have one bloody hell year to prepare, whats the last min issue about?? 

3) Baggage service is part and parcel of a race, i knew many will go light, but having a baggage service for runners is like bare-minimum thing. Not all can go light, like ladies, they need a bag to keep sanitary pads etc, and nowadays i believe most runners will need a place to keep their smartphones, a bag to store so as to change to a new set of clothes to take transport. 

4) Seems like they are very stingy on cups too, hydration is also part and parcel of a race, i know we want to go environment friendly etc, but not everyone will, at least do have some cups etc for drinks, dun force down people's throat to go environment friendly. To me is pretty wrong on this. Its like u are vegetation but u must also respect those that does eat meat etc.  

5) Everyone knows East Coast park is a "wulu place", without Shuttle bus service, we will spend a bomb on taxi, if they start at 4am+, that would mean mid-night cab charges as well. I knew some dun mind taking taxi or Grab, but spare a thought to those who live far. How many teenagers runners. Poly students, JC students, NS men who have limited or no earning powers?

This whole event sounds so money cost saving, last min feel, i might as well do my own runs in East Coast Park in loops. 

18 hours ago, AdiZero said:

14) Seems like they are very stingy on cups too, hydration is also part and parcel of a race, i know we want to go environment friendly etc, but not everyone will, at least do have some cups etc for drinks, dun force down people's throat to go environment friendly. To me is pretty wrong on this. Its like u are vegetation but u must also respect those that does eat meat etc.

But just like the choice between a vegetarian restaurant or meat serving restaurant, you have the freedom to choose what suits you.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:13 AM, lonewolf said:

SSBD or as we like to say in the army LPPL -_-

balls hurt hor? 😛

On 8/20/2018 at 1:12 PM, lonewolf said:

I'm not sure if this race should count for those on a 'Newton Challenge' streak. Technically, the race is still called 'Challenge 32'

The logo on the website has been changed to reflect the Newton brand logo. So now it reads "Newton Challenge 32""

On 8/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, AdiZero said:

1) If its not the real Newton challenge, how can they suka suka call themselves "Newton Challenge" Is'nt it somehow copy right infringement ? Totally wrong ! Copy is ok, but it seems like a stingy race....

I was thinking of the same thing. So I guess no more Pink Apple version? No more post run buffet? :(

I have read FAQ of this race. This event is a last minute due to the annual NC most probably not happening.  Plus Newton threw it's weight behind this event by being one of the sponsor. 

Do take note that those who wants to deposit their bags will need to pay $5 during race pack collection. 

https://www.challenge32.runpilgrim.com/faq

I just read this https://www.challenge32.runpilgrim.com/faq

I find this race a bit funny...They literally use "SCM" branding to advertise thats its a good tune up for SCM. SCM may sue them for using their branding to advertise their race. Its the only race that dare to use another race to advertise their race. Weird...

They use words like...Hmm, if u dun want, then ok loh type of feeling. (U dun want the tee, just write in hor). Also paper cup not much..etc, The whole feel is like cheapo cheapo feeling. Baggage u all might as well dun need also feel. Comm'on lah..Might as well dun provide anything..we run ? Since u everything also dun want this, dun what that.

What do u mean by <<Hard-pressed to put together a last-minute event upon understanding that the annual Newton Challenge may not be happening, >> ?? Actually U hardpress is your business, we runners wants a good and proper race ! Even Newton challenge may not be happening, dun sound like oh...just suka suka come up with a race similar to Newton. Newton challenge may not be happening, does'nt mean u just form up a last min race to entertain us also. Its perfectly ok to have a new race that offer long distance also, why keep emphasizing newton run dun happen so just suka suka hardpress to have one. Why hardpress ???

I dun know lah..i have some trust issues with this race and may not sign up.

7 hours ago, AdiZero said:

I find this race a bit funny...They literally use "SCM" branding to advertise thats its a good tune up for SCM. SCM may sue them for using their branding to advertise their race. Its the only race that dare to use another race to advertise their race. Weird...

They use words like...Hmm, if u dun want, then ok loh type of feeling. (U dun want the tee, just write in hor). Also paper cup not much..etc, The whole feel is like cheapo cheapo feeling. Baggage u all might as well dun need also feel. Comm'on lah..Might as well dun provide anything..we run ? Since u everything also dun want this, dun what that.

What do u mean by <<Hard-pressed to put together a last-minute event upon understanding that the annual Newton Challenge may not be happening, >> ?? Actually U hardpress is your business, we runners wants a good and proper race ! Even Newton challenge may not be happening, dun sound like oh...just suka suka come up with a race similar to Newton. Newton challenge may not be happening, does'nt mean u just form up a last min race to entertain us also. Its perfectly ok to have a new race that offer long distance also, why keep emphasizing newton run dun happen so just suka suka hardpress to have one. Why hardpress ???

Bro -  sounds like you B****ing for the sake of it.

It is clearly stated as a no frills event with a low price however there will be clear support to ensure runners have hydration and some food. The organisers have run in events so they would be pretty blur if they screwed around with providing hydration. It's also in ECP. So there are regular bathrooms.

There was once a story of an army guy who had his maid carry his bag for him....  :pimage.png.bd410b6a9191b9a015f0d267b1ac0473.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, AdiZero said:

I feel they are rather opened about their limitations , so everyone can make a informed decision to sign up or not. Unlike the other infamous organiser who over promised but severely under delivered. 

Since the Newton brand is supporting this run, it has officially renamed itself appropriately. 

Edited by Ender
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ender said:

I feel they are rather opened about their limitations , so everyone can make a informed decision to sign up or not. Unlike the other infamous organiser who over promised but severely under delivered. 

Since the Newton brand is supporting this run, it has officially renamed itself appropriately. 

Well said @Ender. Though the much lower prices, many participants would still expect top notch support and goodies. Efforts should be focused on the race pack collection, good crowd control, flag-off timeliness, sufficient on-route hydration. Anything else would be a bonus.

Posted (edited)

Agree - thank you @Ender - much more eloquently stated and as @okw says with such a low price would expect the focus to be on good crowd control, flag-off timeliness, sufficient on-route hydration and safety. Anything else would be a bonus, even the goodie bag would be a bonus.

BYOR cup / bottle / hydration pack and enjoy the run amongst a group of people who want to also enjoy the run

Edited by Lady Ice