Sign in to follow this  
beast

The Goodbye SGRunners forum page thread

1 hour ago, philip said:

While Im not in the position to reveal any numbers, what I can say is the monetary cost of running & maintaining this forum is ALOT more than whatever sum that's been put forth so far. And yes, Admin has been absorbing the charges all these years. Before anyone jumps in to ask what about revenue from banner ads, I can tell you its barely sufficient to cover anything. Im sure its not an easy decision for Admin to make but nonetheless, its been a good 13 years. Fun fact: the first discussion thread of this forum was actually started by me on Day 1 and it was a simple poll on caffeine usage among runners. 

A lot more? More than $1,000 a year for 13 years? Even at $800 a year that's about SGD10K already.

That's really a lot of money being put forth to maintain this forum so that the runners in Singapore can benefit from the information sharing.  Really thankful and appreciative to TheLonelyRunner for putting in so much time and money into this forum for so long. 

Posted (edited)

great... things get moving...

uncle finally handover the touch to bro lonewolf...local race events..

b7jkw6.jpg

almost 3 years later...5mg47a_th.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

the reality is june 6, everyone must prepare to move out from sgrunners...an iconic remembrace which all of us were once attached... please there are interesting articles or topics which we can salvage from here to benefit the running community at large...please move to the JRL...5mg47a_th.jpg...

the original sgrunners migrants who landed at JRL...including uncle...

2qm429t.jpg

and guess what, years later...5mg47a_th.jpg

41 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

great... things get moving...

uncle finally handover the touch to bro lonewolf...local race events..

b7jkw6.jpg

almost 3 years later...5mg47a_th.jpg

Yeah. I'm slowly porting over the upcoming races that I started here to JRL.

Just replicating the info for now. And see what happens.

At least, the useful race details need not disappear when the forum is shut down. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

why did uncle stay on to JRL...a very startling truth...

zuf68m.jpg

and so...as a sole loyal sgrunner...why not contribute to...5mg47a_th.jpg and now is the urgency to be ready from june 6, because the duplication of what sgrunners were once... is now justrunlah!

Edited by kohpapa

6 hours ago, philip said:

While Im not in the position to reveal any numbers, what I can say is the monetary cost of running & maintaining this forum is ALOT more than whatever sum that's been put forth so far. And yes, Admin has been absorbing the charges all these years. Before anyone jumps in to ask what about revenue from banner ads, I can tell you its barely sufficient to cover anything. Im sure its not an easy decision for Admin to make but nonetheless, its been a good 13 years. Fun fact: the first discussion thread of this forum was actually started by me on Day 1 and it was a simple poll on caffeine usage among runners. 

Oh wow - yah this is a shame it couldn't be sponsored by the Sports Council or something as it has encouraged many runners to get out there and be fit. Thank you to @thelonelyrunner for his support at run events for sgrunners and putting this together in the first place 🤗

let uncle starts with fond memories and favourites from sgrunners:

Posted (edited)

another of uncle's favourite:

Where is aircon route?

http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/16426-why-called-aircon-route/

bro tekko koh, trail runner-fun nature photographer-loving papa...

x4q9av.jpg

and yes, that controversial picture taking... SCMS 2014... an apology to Spectrum..

a3mfwp.png

these are classic ones exclusive from sgrunners with the guts to go beyond the roads, into the wild and unknown territories, and the guts to speak out on how sometimes race organisers (screw up) a but then...backfired..

anyway, Spectrum has gone...down under (financially)...

btw, uncle was "banned" from sgrunners, and had to be 5-o) psuedo for almost 200 posts ...lol

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

another of uncle's favourites, bro jas007 in his LSD routes created by bro lonewolf...yes, some of his run routes had been snake-infested...and adventurous...

http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19182-lsd-routes-discussion/&

jas007's running aspiration led uncle with @JRL "10 best places to run in Singapore"

https://forum.justrunlah.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11

5mg47a_th.jpg...are ready to move?

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bookie said:

kohpapa is JustRunLah your site?

bookie, some sgrunners migrated there 4 years ago, and it had never been updated and contributed...uncle was "banned" just like JustRunLah! who had registered in sgrunners on day 1, and because of its "unknown" conflict of interest, please read above for why JustRunLah! was "forced" to create its own forum...

and now that sgrunners once again faced the plight of having to ship out, you guys are going to have no home anymore, so, lonewolf, trailblazer and uncle (who had been actively building up and supportiing running community in the last 4 years)...and uncle stayed the longest...

uncle's  website, of course NO, JRL has their own administrators, yes, there were some overseas users who misuse the purpose of the forum, kena "removed". Yes, uncle is not administrator, nor the sponsor of the website.

For all to know JRL has been successful in establishing itself over the years, sponsoring run and triathlon events with promotion with discounts..establish own blogs for runners (free) and some like AutumnRunner contributed to JRL's free Run Blog. In fact, while sgrunners had began to lose its migration of established run groups especially FATBIRD (yes, they had used the forum for gathering of runs around Singapore), maybe again, kena "blacklisted"...and with many run groups slowly pulling out from sgrunners...yes, membership in forum dips, ad cost (ad sponsorship drops)...

Yes, JRL is better financially to support not only their own run events, had their means of marketing publicity (easily can be recognised with a JRL booth anytime if there is a major run or even multievent).

Since, uncle had been at JRL over the years, I was not banned, and my contribution spread over the topics because I simply duplicate the success model of sgrunners, and hence when bro lonewolf continues his work of Local Events Announcements...it is just replicating what he always did best here...his medals list topic already established in JRL...

uncle invites all affected by the closure, simply hope over to JRL, simply, it is still available, because, the mission statement - for all runners in the community, regardless if you are from other running forum.

also, uncle is handing over future running topics to all because, I was once a sgrunner, and if you notice my icon... 5mg47a_th.jpg...the running icon is adopted from sgrunner (running),  just a change of running tee...JRL!

understand here there were pride among pioneer sgrunners who, yo, 13 years of hard work and contribution, where do I go from here,  JustRunLah!...the site is setup by sgrunners who believe...we serve the running community...our reason all these years contributing to JRL!, in case one day, JustRunLah! become alternative home to sgrunners...and the effort is worth it...

if new members who just join JRL!, new or seasoned, everyone would at least spend hours to get to know JRL...yes, I am assured of that...running events local is ready, overseas running events (not updated), training, health, injury already settled by uncle, even chicken talk (chat), uncle got "ghost" running activities to sustain interest for days...that one uncle still attracts hundreds daily...both "guests" dead or alive...sometimes uncle is puzzled too.

we need you simply just create your physical presence, just say hello, and start to make some noise...because, if that is your next new home, actually it had already a "sgrunner" home in there...thanks to bro lonewolf and bro trailblazer, who had been there...preparing, updating...what if one day, sgrunner should be DOWN again, and if this forum is DOWN forever, our efforts really had paid off..:)...5mg47a_th.jpg...just a change of running tee but with years of sgrunners' memories...JustRunLah! who cares if you are or once a sgrunner...

Edited by kohpapa

I dun think it's quite true that JRL 'was "forced" to create its own forum..' IIRC the JRL forum was already operating then. At the least, it was in its infancy.

IMO I also dun think that there is any need (or right) to keep promoting JRL here. There's a reason why it did not take off 4 yrs back. I doubt things have really change much in the last 4 yrs. But we'll see. -_-

Posted (edited)

Guess who arrived at JRL in the first 12 hours .....

296kbyg.jpg

and to lonewolf, thank you for updating the local running events.

and as for the happenings 4 plus years ago...it was purely an event, based on differences in perspectives from both JRL (commercial) and sgrunner (volunteerism)...ultimately, who has the ability to carry out the mission of serving for the best interest of runners (you and I) free of course in both forums, JRL professionally went into race organising, sponsor some events (which include for the inclusiveness), as well as supporting their own JRL rungroups, leaving their own forum, not utilised.

yes, nobody at JRL has banned or stopped us - trailblazer, lonewolf and uncle, and yes, the JustRunLah site administrator is constantly monitoring, deleting those undesirable forum starters, especially from overseas, just deleted 2 today @announcement.

saw a huge list of sgrunners using the same names at JRL, uncle only joined in 1 June 2014.

hopefully, june 6 will be a reversal in decision for sgrunners, as uncle has said, JRL has been always an alternative, and everything is always prepared, as what lonewolf had agreed, "We'll see."

I shall stop here, enough of promoting an alternative site, as well as, stating the fact, what happened 4++ years ago, when things at sgrunners were "down" for a long time, and what took place, a chapter of sgrunners archive. 

bye bye.

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bookie said:

so why kohpapa kena ban here? can i learn some history? 

bookie, uncle wrote lame stories, ghost tales, and of course, coaching tips which got some one here very upset...lots of negatives...of course, uncle was known to "talk" a lot in just 1 post, I believed nobody can ever beat uncle's sgrunners 35 posts per day, when there were 3 races happening together, and uncle got very "live" broadcast...capturing the latest...and completed the races event and happening remotely.

ever since when uncle kenna banned, uncle took a decision to be certified as an IAAF Coach (Level 1), IAAF Official (Level 1), Triathlon Coach (Level 0), and has done coaching privately and in schools, and uncle adopted a new identity at JLR as Coach, Official and Runner - a status that even FATBIRD #1 was uncle's course mate at IAAF Coaching course and we became known to each other professional and bro. Since then uncle did not return to sgrunners, simply, all uncle's written stuffs had been left here years ago...

at JRL uncle covered exclusively events of SG50, and that was indeed historically, SEA Games as Games Official, and of course, LKY passing away, very much details with pictures and video like as though you live through once again back into the future in running tales/documentaries.

yes, uncle had transported many of lame stories, ghost tales, training, coaching, nutrition tips, triathlon how-to-do from sgrunners to JRL for almost 1+ year, and that had became a sensation, and many JRL members are mostly expatriates, yes, got even close to know a local celebrity and model there...quite fun and interesting.

of course, sgrunners here ever since then, my personal impression are more race reviews and critics, less of who doing the runs to where and have fun, learning and sharing like Run Groups such as FATBIRDs and others.

even if sgrunners should continue, I will personally think, forum is becoming a dead channel, will not appeal to the young (mobile and have blogs) and enjoy e-scooters rather than just run, and with no evidence of run groups, sustainablity of new and seasoned runners' needs and attention is absolutely lacking.. 

in 2017, uncle just came back for SCMS 2017, contributed just enough like less than 100, to make it 3000 posts...if uncle should continue 4 plus years ago, I believed uncle could easily reach 10K no sweat.

yes, last post here, just for clarification, and yes, there could be a reversal in decision - appeal to all - if each is contribute $x to stay on or ship out by June 6...but, again, just to remain SGRUNNERs you need to contribute $, bring new innovative ideas like offering free blogs like in the past JRL to attract runners (dying breed in the mobile e-transportation era) or free $5 voucher for an upcoming race...

yes, notice that JRL also had a scaled down budget website just this week with no ads like before, so, maybe that is possible with sgrunners, why not, low budget website with no ads..

in the meantime, bro lonewolf is still busy with local events updates @JRL decision is pending.

good luck to all, there will always be an alternative place to go, and hope not to see you at JRL (if the decision is to stay on), or just pop by the ghost "town" and read uncle lame ghost tales on running..yes, Vesak Day uncle got stories, Hari Raya ones also ("how to run while fasting during Ramadan")..and uncle's favourite, seventh month coming soon..."guests" from down under is coming to visit uncle soon...better run  5mg47a_th.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

4 hours ago, thelonelyrunner said:

One of the reason is the funding to run this website. Anyway... Giving SGRunners a second chance! For those who interested to keep the forum alive by contributing some fund. Appreciate your support! Thank you very much!

https://gogetfunding.com/keep-sgrunners-alive/

Thanks bro for allowing us to do our part to help keep this forum going. Again, many thanks for your contributions to keep this thing going for the last 13 years!

Very heartening to see that there is already a number of backers funding the project. Hopefully more of us can come forward to help contribute some money to get the place running for at least another year.

Seems like the contributions have slowed down after the first day.

@thelonelyrunner Do you want to announce this on the main page instead, so that more people are aware of this pledge for donations?

Currently , 90% funded. I think this site shall be able to carry on . Go , go, go.

Due to support of many contributors of sgrunners, we managed to reach the targetted amount of $720 to make sgrunners alive again!

Our highest gratitude and heartfelt appreciation for all the contributors who have made sgrunners alive again! Thank you very much! ❤️

• Thanks 2

Someone made a sizeable contribution so the target was met much earlier.

Nevertheless thanks to everyone who has helped. I am assuming this is enough to keep it running for only another year, so hopefully everyone can help out again next year.