Sign in to follow this  
beast

The Goodbye SGRunners forum page thread

Posted (edited)

Not sure what happened but sad that this place will be closing down in 2 weeks times 😓

Really great to have chatted with everyone in the last 5 years or so. Made new friends whom we still go out to eat and makan. Lovely memories will remain in my mind.

Would love to continue chatting about running events with folks  here again somewhere else. Where should we go from here? Justrunlah?

Edited by beast

I was thinking about it - is it a cost issue? If so then maybe we can pool money to help maintain it. My limited knowledge tells me that the cost of the sgrunner domain name and subscription of the invisioncommunity forum should be about $200 yearly? I am sure we can get $20 a month contribution from a few of us here.

If it is due to other reasons, can it be passed on to others to manage entirely? I am kinda interested to run it.

I guess it is the time to manage the servers and so on. Not easy if you have a full time job and family.

Bye bye. Everyone here. This forum is closing down. 

This forum will be missed. I like to thanks TheLonelyRunner for 13 years of great services to the running communities in Singapore. Good lucks in the next charters of your life. Happy running!

5 hours ago, mover said:

Bye bye. Everyone here. This forum is closing down. 

I guess it is time to... "mover" on

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

12 hours ago, Madmax said:

I guess it is the time to manage the servers and so on. Not easy if you have a full time job and family.

Doesn't the forum run on its own servers  (invision community) and all thelonelyrunner does is pay a subscription fee to keep it running? I don't really think much time was involved.

I think most of them will not join if there is a fee, even it is $2. Now even it is free this forum is not as active as in the beginning. 

If cost is an issue, maybe can start a fundraising page?

If its the hassle of maintenance, upgrading servers and so on, maybe one of the members here has such expertise and may be willing to step up to volunteer to take on these tasks?

Sad to see the forum is going to close next month.

Take the opportunity to log in here more before the time we say goodbye.

Sgrunners.com become the history to runners world in Singapore. 

indeed its a pity, especially when this is the place to go if you want to find out more about races, upcoming races, the queue at REPC etc.... now is to wait and see if anyone knows the exact reason.... 

Posted (edited)

Bye bye, uncle had fond memories here, had seen history of runners here, most sadly had left.

Was at 5mg47a_th.jpg, another "ghost" running forum, but still alive. All can migrate there, since if confirmed, this forum is closed.

Edited by kohpapa

6 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Bye bye, uncle had fond memories here, had seen history of runners here, most sadly had left.

Was at 5mg47a_th.jpg, another "ghost" running forum, but still alive. All can migrate there, since if confirmed, this forum is closed.

what is this ghost running forum you are refer to?

50 minutes ago, beast said:

https://forum.justrunlah.com/

I am likely to start posting there if it is impossible to save this forum.

Think we tried moving there when the forum had issues a few years back, but it didnt feel like home so we quickly moved back once this was up and running again.

Cant believe it's been almost 7 years since i joined the forum, there's so many valuable information and knowledge that I've gained and friendships forged. I'm so sad that all this will be history soon, i'll feel lost when I need information about upcoming races. Still, many many thanks to the admin TheLonelyRunner for managing this all these years. 

Hope to see everyone around somewhere.. someday! 

Posted (edited)

ya, uncle migrated there then, with some of my "lame" running tales, and classic running "how to" clinics/coaching...running events...

so, if you guys can port over some of your running archives..articles..better do so before this forum really finally RIP...took uncle almost a year plus to migrate some of uncle sgrunners' running best, greatest and favourites....

actually, that "ghost" running forum even though had no writers/contributors except uncle truly, but uncle had many hundreds of "ghost" readers, and mostly are overseas "guests"...hopefully they are not "ghosts"...because uncle's HungryGhost中元Mid-Autumn中秋ChineseNewYear农历新年QingMing清明Vesak卫塞 attracts hundred daily.

hopefully, more "ghosts" aka runners will return or join in the running community, whether here (hope for good news) or at JRL. all the same. 

oh, this is uncle's running icon at JRL. 5mg47a_th.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

I was looking at Invision Communities cost packages and realise that the monthly subscription is rather steep.

Cost is minimally $30 per month and Ilikely TheLonelyRunner subscribe to a better package. This would mean that he has been contributing at least $500 a year for the last 13 years, including domain name costs.

Until he comes out with more explanation, I think cost is a good enough reason that he is not continuing with this, and unless a number of us pool finance resources, I don’t think anyone would want to undertake this cost to keep this alive.

So I guess it is hard to save this forum. See you guys at Justrunlah if you guys are going there.

I do have a mirror '[Medal Hunters United] List of ELM Medals Races' over at JRL but which I admit I had not update since mid 2016. I will at least be maintaining that thread over there.

JRL is just not very active even when sgrunners was having issues back then. So I'm not sure if it will really take off. Let's see what happens. 

Posted (edited)

yes, JRL has taken a change, sombre and simple look...as compared to the bright red..

1079z47.png

yes, our dear bro jes87 tried to make "contact" with the ghost runners, still dead, uncle is the exclusive caretaker of this running grave yard, hope more can come in and create some "noise" here...

Edited by kohpapa

While Im not in the position to reveal any numbers, what I can say is the monetary cost of running & maintaining this forum is ALOT more than whatever sum that's been put forth so far. And yes, Admin has been absorbing the charges all these years. Before anyone jumps in to ask what about revenue from banner ads, I can tell you its barely sufficient to cover anything. Im sure its not an easy decision for Admin to make but nonetheless, its been a good 13 years. Fun fact: the first discussion thread of this forum was actually started by me on Day 1 and it was a simple poll on caffeine usage among runners. 

Posted (edited)

thank you for 13 good years...philip...and if the running cost says time for sgrunners to go...we have an alternative...6 years ago...just move on...cheers for the past great time...5mg47a_th.jpg

Edited by kohpapa