Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

CSC Run by the Bay 2018 - 20 Oct (Sat)

RPC was very quiet even though I was there during lunch break. 

Step 1: Sign the waiver form.

Step 2: Collect your bib. 

Step 3: Check your bib timing + collect merchandise order.

Step 4: Collect your singlet/tee and goodies bag.

Despite the numerous steps. I was done within 3 minutes. I like that the volunteers are now checking your details using tablets. No need bulky laptops. Bad thing is no scanner so time needed to key in your IC.

Pls note no 'bag' provided. All the goodies are squeezed into the hydration bag that is part of your entitlement. 

I tried to carry the waterbag on my back and felt that the backing of the waterbag is a little hard and doesn't feel comfortable when worn... I don't really carry a waterbag while running but from those I seen in running lab, there's some difference.... 

Just hope that the weather is kind to us on Sat late afternoon...

Ran the half marathon. One of the best organised local race experience. A very well thought out plan and execution.i think a good race budget really helped.

Like:

One of the most detailed race guide that sets the tone of the effort put in by the organiser. 

Only slightly over 1000 half marathon runners but the scale of race organisation seems to cater for doubled that number.

No need to queue for toilet

Short wait in the pen. Start off on time.

Adequate and well spaced hydration points 

Instant detailed result

Unique route that spans the entire 12.8km marina bay and kallang basin area. No running on roads.

First time I see so many route marshalls for such a small race especially at the garden by the bay and MBS area, more for controlling the evening crowd there which may block the runners.

So many ambulance points along the route. There was also a pile of ice packets near the ambulances at the ending point, possibly for heat injury treatment.

Running back to the starting point after 8km allows you to drop out of the race if today just isn't your day (which I almost did)

Don't like:

The heat was terrible at 5pm and really saps you. Not my usual evening running time. Became a race just to complete.

36 minutes ago, Avon said:

Ran the half marathon. One of the best organised local race experience. A very well thought out plan and execution.i think a good race budget really helped.

Like:

One of the most detailed race guide that sets the tone of the effort put in by the organiser. 

Only slightly over 1000 half marathon runners but the scale of race organisation seems to cater for doubled that number.

Instant detailed result

Unique route that spans the entire 12.8km marina bay and kallang basin area. No running on roads.

First time I see so many route marshalls for such a small race especially at the garden by the bay and MBS area, more for controlling the evening crowd there which may block the runners.

So many ambulance points along the route. There was also a pile of ice packets near the ambulances at the ending point, possibly for heat injury treatment.

Running back to the starting point after 8km allows you to drop out of the race if today just isn't your day (which I almost did)

Don't like:

The heat was terrible at 5pm and really saps you. Not my usual evening running time. Became a race just to complete.

Agree that the heat was killing me and i was perspiring buckets right from the start,  it was till the part where we hit the 4km-5km in ECP then it ease up a little and became cooler. Same as Avon, I soooo soooo sooooo much wanted to just get my bag and DNF after the first 8km loop as I really hated the heat.

Seems like it was not really necessary to put the runners into different start pen as there were not that many HM runners and there was only one wave, everyone was off right after the horn.

I agree that it was well organised and its a new route I've not tried before, especially in the evening hours. Honestly I didnt really like the route especially the loop back to start point and then the 12.8km participants caught up with us eventually. It became crowded and we were running at different pace and some parts were quite narrow, plus there were quite a few points where runners had to stop to let the cars through ( luckily I was only stopped once at GBTB east). There were lots of people at MBS and Fullerton area as it was Saturday evening, it was not pleasant to run through the crowd but there were many volunteer marshals and so many cones along the path to guide the runners, I'm amazed with the number of cones (like 1m apart?)

Isotonic drinks at some of the water stations was also not cold enough to feel refreshing. Other than that, all was good. After the race, there was a very long queue for the shuttle bus but it was moving fast and we didnt have to wait long, the buses came pretty fast. 

Edited by akane81

37 minutes ago, Avon said:

Like:

Instant detailed result

Don't like:

Yes. 5:15PM is not a good time to start. It was very hot yesterday and sunshine was strong. There is no big trees to shield the sunlight in the first 10km along the route. I was knocked down by the heatstroke at 9km and had to find a cool place to rest. After half hour, when the sunshine faded away, i could continue.

Other than that,  everything looks good.

It’s best to avoid sunshine when running Marathon in Singapore. Respect the power of nature. 😎😎

First time I'm running a race by Metasports and it was a mixed bag of good and bad but overall definitely a positive experience.

The shuttle bus bringing runners/participants/spectators to the race village was run really well. There was a short queue to board and because they have many buses plying the route, they make sure everyone has a seat. But one thing missing was signage pointing to the bus pick up point. Of cos, it was not really difficult to find the boarding point but some signage would help.

And the lack of signages seems to be a recurring theme with Metasports. The HM route is one of the least straightforward route. It did not help that there was no distance marker on the race route provide in the guide or website to indicate the direction to run. Do we run anti-clockwise first towards ECP or clockwise first to MBS/GBTB first? 

In fact, a group of runners gathered around the info board to figure it out and we note the Ediken changeover points and conclude that we must be running anti-clockwise towards ECP first. Still, despite such an unclear route, there was no a single directional signage on the whole route. There were the distance markers and hydration points but not a single signage asking you to 'Turn Left' or 'U-turn ahead'. But what they do have is a small army of living signages with volunteers and safety cones to guide runners. So it was not too bad.

Most interesting is that the route took us over the footbridge at ECP despite the signage at the foot of the bridge saying 'No Mass Event'. So did Metasports got permission for NParks to use the bridge or did they simply ignore the signage? It can't be that NParks are in the dark about the route since they have to approve it (I think >80% of the route was run on PCN). F\

Hydration was plentiful so no complaint about that. Though having one at 21 km mark is rather strange. 

As expected, the whole Pen A/B/C system was a joke. The number of runners really did not require it but I can't fault them for trying. Though I am sure it did not really make a difference. I hung back for Wave 2 but in the end, there really wasn't one. They just hold the Wave 2 runners back for a few minutes and just let us run through the starting point.

The finisher medal is quite bad. Arguably, the worse I have this year. The material is light-weight and rather flimsy and looks like it will rust in a few months times. Worse, it's a generic medal with only the ribbon indicating the distance that you run in. 

I did not run a good race and was probably one of the last HM finishers. My preferred finisher T size ran out of stock when I finished. I could not understand why it ran out since the size was indicated on the bib. In any case, a nice lady took down by bib number and told me that they will contact me again regarding my finisher T. I'm not really sure if I will receive it but at least it was a good service recovery at the race site.

And last but not least, the event program was hopelessly and severely delayed. As expected, the award ceremony took forever. The 12.8K award was supposed to be at 2015 and the lucky draw at 2115. They started presenting the 12.8K award at 2130. I gave up waiting at 2140 because the shuttle bus to Stadium stops running at 2200 and I don't want to walk all the way back to Stadium. 

Frankly, I find the over-optimistic schedule a little strange. The organising committee should have known would happen. I mean any logical person will be able to anticipate that it will take almost 2 hours to give out all the prizes, scheduling 15m for the prize is a tad over-optimistic. 

So did anyone stay for the lucky draw? What time did it start? And were the buses still running after that?

Overall, Metasports experience in handling mass event really shows. Sure there were some minor issues but nothing too catastrophic. I will probably join in another event organised by Metasports given the chance. 

I had to skip CSC run this year, as I signed up ASICS Relay with my friends. The flag off time of two races are too close. However, surprisingly, one of my friends ran both races: Completed Ekiden on CSC, then went to Sentosa and ran ASICS. I thought this is a mission impossible, somehow it came true~ (Salute again!!!)

Ran the Half Marathon last night, overall it was ok. Water points were plentiful although first 2 were overwhelmed by the time I reached there, I had to get my own cup and fill it myself. The crew were apologizing the whole time, I pity them quite a bit.  There wasn't any bin provided at some water points. 

The route itself quite nice though I assume they were hit by last minute adjustment due to construction along Garden by the Bay and Tanjong Rhu. Nice trail run section. 

Had the same thought about that "no mass event" at the footbridge, but I remember last year "performance series" passed through the footbridge too. 

Kudos us for the crew, volunteer and marshals. Not easy to run through Marina bay and esplanade area on Saturday afternoon/evening time but it think it was perfectly handled. I was at the esplanade bridge when the marshal was clearing a path for the first 12.8k pack with bicycle. 

I ran slower than my normal time but it felt worse, I think combination of recovery process and the heat affected me more than I thought. 

1 hour ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Ran the Half Marathon last night, overall it was ok. Water points were plentiful although first 2 were overwhelmed by the time I reached there, I had to get my own cup and fill it myself. The crew were apologizing the whole time, I pity them quite a bit.  There wasn't any bin provided at some water points. 

The route itself quite nice though I assume they were hit by last minute adjustment due to construction along Garden by the Bay and Tanjong Rhu. Nice trail run section. 

Had the same thought about that "no mass event" at the footbridge, but I remember last year "performance series" passed through the footbridge too. 

Kudos us for the crew, volunteer and marshals. Not easy to run through Marina bay and esplanade area on Saturday afternoon/evening time but it think it was perfectly handled. I was at the esplanade bridge when the marshal was clearing a path for the first 12.8k pack with bicycle. 

I ran slower than my normal time but it felt worse, I think combination of recovery process and the heat affected me more than I thought. 

Oh yes! I noticed the lack of bins at the water stations too, the funny thing was there was a big signage saying 'binners are winners' but no bins for us to throw the cups, so how to win? 

7 hours ago, akane81 said:

Oh yes! I noticed the lack of bins at the water stations too, the funny thing was there was a big signage saying 'binners are winners' but no bins for us to throw the cups, so how to win? 

once again the bin is so near to the drink station... i think a longer bin station would be much appreciated...

And I too, didnt stay for the lucky draw... it was just too late... and I am famished... heart rate was still pretty high from the heat....

'can of 100Plus isotonic drink'?

I guess semi-celebrity blogger get different isotonic. Minions like us only get the H-TWO-O :crazysmile:

Of cos, we should not expect a blog post to be a professionally written polished piece of journalism. However, I agree that some of the basic grammatical error is quite jarring and it certainly an area for improvement. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Another plus for MetaSports. 

Result and Cert out >> http://bluechipresults.com.au/Results.aspx?CId=11&RId=1195

@activerun CSC Run by the Bay is a Trinity Run.

This is one of the best with prompt race result availability. Only the big boy likes SCSM provide Live Result.

With the Live Result, it's kind of during examination, the parents can monitor their children's exam marks while examination is in progress!

Last year's eCerticate is better with "Certificate of Achievement" unlike this year's "Finisher", I hope the organizer can rephrase the certificate title since it is electronics Certificate which can be amended easily.

3 hours ago, lonewolf said:

'can of 100Plus isotonic drink'?

I guess semi-celebrity blogger get different isotonic. Minions like us only get the H-TWO-O :crazysmile:

Of cos, we should not expect a blog post to be a professionally written polished piece of journalism. However, I agree that some of the basic grammatical error is quite jarring and it certainly an area for improvement. 

Sorry sorry,  have made the amendment. I run in too many races that all the isotonic drinks are beginning to blend together already and look the same😂

15 hours ago, medic said:

Conjunctions are used to join 2 sentences into 1.

However, you keep repeating the same mistakes below in your reviews... :P

-  You should not start a sentence with But or And...

-  You  don't  put a comma before them too...

Oops, will try and remember this for future reviews

3 hours ago, beast said:

B2b 21km-11km in one night 👍

Not as “siao” as those who did b2b 21km+21km at CSC and real run. Haha...

58 minutes ago, prisangel said:

Not as “siao” as those who did b2b 21km+21km at CSC and real run. Haha...

Pris, b2b half/full marathon is nothing compared with "AH SIAO" The Tyre Marathon Man.

Surprised no race review report from AutumnRunner.cscrealrun2018.thumb.jpg.4ee46de67a36cc88548257d62750cd37.jpg

Another plus point for this cheap and good race, FinisherPix is out. This is usually only available with the major races, cant rem if we had it last year.