Sign in to follow this  
davidtkl

Have you stop participating in the races?

Posted (edited)

Maybe 2 years back, I do make it a point to take part in as many races as possible.

One day, reading a comment here in this forum triggered a thought. One of the runners commented that the local race scene always has a similar route, albeit packaging them differently.

It is usually... starts from F1 Pit --> Gardens by the Bay and East Coast route etc

Somehow, I do agree with that.

So I stopped participating in many races for shorter distances like 10 km routes which are generic.

I begin to plan my own 10 k route around Singapore, Punggol, Buangkok, Kallang etc. 

I find that a refreshing change. If I need a drink, I would just buy it from a petrol kiosk.

One unexpected surprise is that I saved up to $800 is race particpation fees a year.

Some other advantages are:

-New route (discover new places)

-No need to wake up early. Own time own target

- Fits my own schedule

- No need to fight lane hoggers and selfie takers

I still participate in more "unique" races like Sundown, Yellow Ribbon etc.

Have you done the same?

Edited by davidtkl
  • Like 1

Yes. Noobie now only participates in the 21K and 42K races in Singapore.
The rest like 10K, fun runs, boutique runs (like Pokemon Run, Star Wars) serve no purpose to Noobie.

Hey! Noobie in KL now and see lots of Singaporeans running the SCKLM marathon. Noobie even saw a Singapore running blogger running the SCKLM and giving a miss to the 2XU race in SGP today - can tell go that go overseas can do better review than doing the same Singapore race review. Noobie would also say that SCKLM is much better than SCMS because SCMS also go to the same route like East Coast and Gardens by the Bay too and Noobie have seen these places in races a gazoolian times. 

I am more selective too in my races and only take part in recs that have good logistics planning so far... and also take part in the races if they form part of my training for a bigger race...blogger? There's only 1 famous one around...

After joining a 8 or more events per years , I had decided to choose event that I felt will give me a different experience . I will join the 2 full Marathon in Singapore as my mission for FM is still not yet finished . If I join too many HM or 10 km run it actually affect my training plan for FM. 

I would say my race participation has remained steady since I started in late 2012. Averaging about 17 races a year.

I dun run around the marina areas much so I dun mind if the races use more or less the same routes. 

There are some races which I had a streak going and I would continue to join as much as possible like SCSM, YRPR, AHM, Newton Challenge, Income Eco Run, ST Run etc. 

There are some races that I had dropped like Sundown Marathon, RunNUS, BizAd Charity Run.

Of cos, a potential ELM medal race is that I will give serious consideration. Any race with no race medal, I probably won't even consider. 

As much as love hate relationship to SCSM or Sundown, I will still keep it on my running calendar for now. Although I might drop SCSM if I can get my hand into Taipei marathon. 

Probably will chose either one or two from Eco income, 2XU, ST Run, Newton Challenge, CSC Run by the Bay. 

Some 10K charity run will still on my schedule like Run for Light, Terry Fox, YRPR.

Will give the rest a pass unless the race is quite unique. 

This year, I made decision to run SCKLM instead of 2XU compression run, I think it is the right choice. Different level of organissation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

As much as love hate relationship to SCSM or Sundown, I will still keep it on my running calendar for now. Although I might drop SCSM if I can get my hand into Taipei marathon. 

Probably will chose either one or two from Eco income, 2XU, ST Run, Newton Challenge, CSC Run by the Bay. 

Some 10K charity run will still on my schedule like Run for Light, Terry Fox, YRPR.

Will give the rest a pass unless the race is quite unique. 

This year, I made decision to run SCKLM instead of 2XU compression run, I think it is the right choice. Different level of organissation.

Oh yes. I have ditched SCSM for a few years now. Tried running the Taipei edition. Very refreshing to run in cold weather.

And also, I have switched from running many local races to at least one overseas race per year. Did Seoul this year. 

Same, ditched SCMS several years ago. Will only re-consider to join if there's substantial changes to race routes and better organisation.

Also ditched all 10km and most 21km events. Routes are almost similar and not value-for-money. Exception is Safra AHM which continues to be attractive with it's $16 registration fees (21km for Nsmen).

Have been looking and running overseas for the past 2-3 years now. No regrets and never looking back.

Haven't done any race this year. Contributed to a couple of charity runs but still didn't turn up. 😛

Agree with the points made by the thread starter once we stop doing paid running events.

21 hours ago, gtlife64 said:

Same, ditched SCMS several years ago. Will only re-consider to join if there's substantial changes to race routes and better organisation.

Also ditched all 10km and most 21km events. Routes are almost similar and not value-for-money. Exception is Safra AHM which continues to be attractive with it's $16 registration fees (21km for Nsmen).

Have been looking and running overseas for the past 2-3 years now. No regrets and never looking back.

Agree with @gtlife64 and I did the same for SCMS years ago and started doing overseas events instead.

Havent done any local race this year, only did Star Wars Run as hubby wanted to join in the fun. I ditched SCMS after 2014 and went for overseas events the following year, did 3 in 2015 and 2 last year. Hope to do 1 overseas FM end of this year. 

I lost the motivation to join local races, I used to do at least 10 or even more years ago. It is a way to get me into training but now that I can do my own training of up to 20km, I just sign up for 21km and above races every now and then. Even so, I feel so lazy nowadays,  I find it a hassle to specially go down to town to collect race pack, wake up early and travel to race start point etc. 

I still do... the races provide me with the motivation to train and run... without them, I might not be so motivated to run...