Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidtkl

Seoul Marathon 2018

I just came back from Seoul last week for the Seoul Marathon.

Very pleasant run as there are a lot of lane discipline, well organised water points and no hoggers stopping to take selfies.

But everything is in Korean and not very international friendly.

Managed a PB ! 

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

This run has a 5 hour cut off so casual runners will not sign up. I would imagine the crowd to be manageable for the logistics, leading to a good race experience.

Glad you enjoyed it and gotten a PB from it.

23 hours ago, beast said:

This run has a 5 hour cut off so casual runners will not sign up. I would imagine the crowd to be manageable for the logistics, leading to a good race experience.

Glad you enjoyed it and gotten a PB from it.

Agree. 5 hours cut off timing means participants will have to be properly trained in order not to DNF. 

Based on the website in English version at http://www.seoul-marathon.com/apply/index02_e.php , it projected 20k FM runners and 15k 10km runners. Manageable by standard.

On 28/03/2018 at 9:58 AM, beast said:

Hmm 20K FM runners is still a huge crowd to me. Was expecting maybe 10K or less. Still I guess the organizers managed to pull it off well.

I have a different view on this: 20k FM runners in an event is manageable. Compared to the overcrowded SCSM 2017 (50k field size with poor race logistics execution), the two biggest Japan running events are well executed with Tokyo 2018: 35.5k FM runners and the upcoming Osaka 2018:  expected 30k FM runners!

2 hours ago, trailblazer said:

I have a different view on this: 20k FM runners in an event is manageable. Compared to the overcrowded SCSM 2017 (50k field size with poor race logistics execution), the two biggest Japan running events are well executed with Tokyo 2018: 35.5k FM runners and the upcoming Osaka 2018:  expected 30k FM runners!

FM for SCSM 2017 is 12K I think? 50K should be the total including 21KM and 10KM. The crowd for FM SCSM is still OK to me.

I did feel that Tokyo marathon is a little too overcrowded for my liking. Maybe its just me.

16 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

congrats @davidtkl for the pb... u put in the discipline and effort to train and your training paid off.... how is the race route like? hilly? flat? or mostly flat with some hills... a little elaboration will be good for future runners...

I saw this from my strava's running contact data which she did the running event. The elevation chart should give you a better idea in Seoul Marathon (just a few speed humps from the chart).

XiYF6Rk.jpg

On 3/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, AutumnRunner said:

congrats @davidtkl for the pb... u put in the discipline and effort to train and your training paid off.... how is the race route like? hilly? flat? or mostly flat with some hills... a little elaboration will be good for future runners...

Hi,

It is mostly flat and you run on street roads mostly. The Seoul Marathon is one of the oldest Marathon in the world so those guys are pretty experienced in organising it.

What I do like is the lane discipline and also the wide roads which means no congestions. The water points are about 40 m long in some cases. (Wonder why Singapore organisers cant be like that ?)

Weather at starting point is less than 10 degrees. But as I ran, my body gradually warmed up and I had to take off my first layer.

Start time is mid morning..which means you get additional rest and just nice for lunch after you finish.

But no cheerleaders of any sorts along the route. And surprisingly, for such an old race, the registration is not very internationalised. Everything (info booklet, signage, website) is in Korean mostly.

On 31/03/2018 at 10:01 AM, trailblazer said:

I saw this from my strava's running contact data which she did the running event. The elevation chart should give you a better idea in Seoul Marathon (just a few speed humps from the chart).

XiYF6Rk.jpg

Thanks... it's pretty flat in the city...

On 3/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, AutumnRunner said:

Hi,

It is mostly flat and you run on street roads mostly. The Seoul Marathon is one of the oldest Marathon in the world so those guys are pretty experienced in organising it.

What I do like is the lane discipline and also the wide roads which means no congestions. The water points are about 40 m long in some cases. (Wonder why Singapore organisers cant be like that ?)

Weather at starting point is less than 10 degrees. But as I ran, my body gradually warmed up and I had to take off my first layer.

Start time is mid morning..which means you get additional rest and just nice for lunch after you finish.

But no cheerleaders of any sorts along the route. And surprisingly, for such an old race, the registration is not very internationalised. Everything (info booklet, signage, website) is in Korean mostly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fierce-looking event Tee

IMG_4552.jpg