Sign in to follow this  
stalky79

Osaka Marathon 2018 - 25th November 2018

2 hours ago, beast said:

Could it be because this year the run date is pushed back by about a month (usually its end Oct), and next year they want to try and see if they can push it back to Oct again?

@beast That is a good point made.

I was looking at the history of the Osaka Marathon in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Marathon.

Interestingly, Osaka Marathon took place in November three times (including this year's edition) while it is traditionally an October month end event.

That is bad news for me, due to work commitments, I only took part these two years when they pushed it to end November. Weather was cooling and good for running as its very late autumn and early winter (about 10+ degrees). Nevertheless, a new course ending at city area is a good change as the last 5 km or so was pretty much ulu land and Intex Osaka is rather out of the way. 

I also vaguely remember that the race date for the following year was out on race day last year but this year there was only this huge banner mentioning the change in route. So I guess a change in date might really take place. 

Edited by akane81
  • Like 1

@akane81 For myself who did Osaka Marathon twice in end October, it was a different experience with the Halloween celebration in Osaka and warmer weather instead.

I also vaguely remember that the race date for the following year was out on race day last year but this year there was only this huge banner mentioning the change in route. So I guess a change in date might really take place. 

Thanks for confirming again and I took a look at Osaka Marathon official Instagram page having the photo of the new course and event date:

Looks like there are quite a few of us who took part in the Osaka marathon not just once but a couple of times... 

how's the overall temperature of the race? I came back from Osaka on the weekend of the race as I took part in the Kobe marathon 2018 the weekend before. (race review: https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2018/12/02/race-review-kobe-marathon-2018/)

I wonder how the new route or even new date will be.....

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:54 AM, beast said:

Could it be because this year the run date is pushed back by about a month (usually its end Oct), and next year they want to try and see if they can push it back to Oct again?

I prefer the Oct temperature as it isnt that chilly as compared to Nov (as experienced from the Kobe Marathon held in early Nov)

On 10/27/2018 at 11:16 AM, derrick_twj said:

I’m in pen E, any idea does the purple number means the number of toilets cubicles? I think if you buy the Osaka metro day pass, it should be better to alight at morinomiya

On 10/28/2018 at 1:26 PM, akane81 said:

Yeah it should be, dont be surprised at the number of toilets they provide for such major race, but still go early as there will still be a queue and if you missed the timing, you can only start from the last pen. They also have rows of toilets with just urinals for the guys and no doors, i was quite amused when i saw it last year but was too shy to take any pics. 

think my reply came really late but I hope you guys realise that the purple circles are actually the baggage trucks.... 

Hope you guys enjoy the race!!!

16 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

think my reply came really late but I hope you guys realise that the purple circles are actually the baggage trucks.... 

Hope you guys enjoy the race!!!

Thanks autumn, I had a good race and managed to get my 2nd fm PB (sub 3.50) this year.

Extracted from forum HWZ EDMW Evening Joggers thread…Osaka Marathon 2018..

Race Pack Collection

14dnexv.jpg

2i6opc5.jpg

Race Day

2mw7d7b.jpg

The Run Experience

8wdqap.jpg

Deposit Area = Pick Up Zone

t53c5l.jpg

Enjooy…

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 2

I'll get around to writing a full review when I have time but here are my summarised thoughts:

1. The race expo and finishing point are out of the way. Good logistics and quite a lot of things to do. I tried asking again at the bib collection but unfortunately they again refused my request to change my starting pen. At least this is the only time I will face this problem. Looking forward to the new finishing point in future years.

2. Race route was good. Once you get past the first 5km after the mass start, most areas had 2 to 4 clear lanes for running when the crowd thinned. But it's very frustrating running with the hobby joggers and costume runners. Except for the ulu stretch about 5km from the finishing point, tens of thousands of supporters lined both sides of the course so there was no shortage of motivation.

3. Volunteers were amazing. Plenty of expertly executed hydration points that stretched 50-100m. Even when they weren't handing you cups, they were cheering you on. Good thing because the temperature was warmer than expected. No cloud cover so it felt like 18 degrees towards the second half of the course. I and many runners around me suffered from cramps in the later stages.

55 minutes ago, benchy said:

I'll get around to writing a full review when I have time but here are my summarised thoughts:

1. The race expo and finishing point are out of the way. Good logistics and quite a lot of things to do. I tried asking again at the bib collection but unfortunately they again refused my request to change my starting pen. At least this is the only time I will face this problem. Looking forward to the new finishing point in future years.

2. Race route was good. Once you get past the first 5km after the mass start, most areas had 2 to 4 clear lanes for running when the crowd thinned. But it's very frustrating running with the hobby joggers and costume runners. Except for the ulu stretch about 5km from the finishing point, tens of thousands of supporters lined both sides of the course so there was no shortage of motivation.

3. Volunteers were amazing. Plenty of expertly executed hydration points that stretched 50-100m. Even when they weren't handing you cups, they were cheering you on. Good thing because the temperature was warmer than expected. No cloud cover so it felt like 18 degrees towards the second half of the course. I and many runners around me suffered from cramps in the later stages.

Hi benchy, out of my curiosity, during registration, they asked a question about your Pb and the race that you set the time. Did you submit the time from a race that is aims certified? Certain races like sundown marathon is not aims certified 

24 minutes ago, derrick_twj said:

Hi benchy, out of my curiosity, during registration, they asked a question about your Pb and the race that you set the time. Did you submit the time from a race that is aims certified? Certain races like sundown marathon is not aims certified 

I ticked the box that said it was my first marathon. Honesty doesn't pay!

Yep, I definitely hope they will change the course and end at city centre, hopefully race pack collection too. It was a pain heading back to my hotel in Namba as I got injured. Didnt do well this time round but I'm glad I completed.

The Japanese are very strict in race execution, a lot of runners were blocked from heading to their start pens as they did not make it before 8.45am. I'm not sure if they started right at the back or what, but there were really a whole lot of them as I was standing right at the junction where they tried to run to their blocks from Osaka castle side. Hoards of runners were just strolling along at first, and 5 min before 8.45am, I could see many of them really running and rushing. 

4 hours ago, benchy said:

I did that the first time SCSM assigned wave according to previous finishing time, then I realised unless you claimed to have ran a  damn fast time they will not bother to check. 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:30 AM, benchy said:

It's ok...now it won't be your 1st marathon in future...

On 12/5/2018 at 9:56 AM, trailblazer said:

@kohpapa Thanks for your easy to see photo summary for Osaka Marathon 2018!

Seeing these photos brings back good memories when I did it twice.

Same here for me.. twice in a row.... any hat trick coming up? 

23 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Same here for me.. twice in a row.... any hat trick coming up? 

It depends on the date of Osaka Marathon 2019.

If it is in November, I have to skip it as November is my busy period for work.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, trailblazer said:

It depends on the date of Osaka Marathon 2019.

If it is in November, I have to skip it as November is my busy period for work.

They should announce it at least 1yr before the race date.... 

On 12/30/2018 at 2:08 PM, AutumnRunner said:

They should announce it at least 1yr before the race date.... 

I believe if they could, they would. Any race organzier will want to "mark the date" to book runners' schedules, so if they can't do that it means that they are still planning/finalizing it due to reasons unknown to us.