lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

18 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Just curious... do you follow Metallica? ?

Well  I certainly hope the govt and Singaporean residents can just Jump In the Fire, One time.  Nothing Else Matters.

when it comes to matters concerning the future of Singapore Marathon, uncle returns with all and look at the entire issue with a better perspective...and open up with consensus in opinions..for all to voice out...

what was communicated in 2017...who is Wanda Group...who is Ironman..who is Asia Ironman...what is WMM....what is AbbottWMM....Series of 6...

w4umt.jpg

33o38e0.jpg
nfs5f6.jpg

fonjol.jpg

331hbf9.jpg

what was communicated now, where are we? will we be the #7?
vd20d3.jpg
2564613.jpg
23krx4l.jpg
b49mdl.jpg
wtswzt.jpg

uncle looks at AbbottWMM Series of 6,  and why Wanda partners AbbottWMM, with Ironman as the flagship on Marathon Racing in the Asia (Outside Japan), so Singapore is not the only country yet to be considered...just say only...

will AbbottWMM Series of 7 be Singapore...

NO

1) lack of government support, because there is no commercial value

2) marathon is mess running, so it is grassroot "community" level, not promoted to "international" status

3) no home grown marathoner who actually reaches "world-class" level, another reason why, running is lacking in "funding" for any international competition, because the qualifying mark by locals are never met...

4) road closures are always a big "complaint", and road close must be opened as soon as possible for the inconvenience caused to social and business reason, and that explains, the cut-off time for last wave, the traffic wardens simply inform the route is closed to runners...traffic rule imposed...

5) marathon is up to 3-4 hours, and that is why the other AbbotWMM has a cut-off time...7 hours for mess running as for now in Singapore...likely this will be further cut-off towards 2020...qualifying mark for 4.5 hours for participants in 2020 and beyond...

14iiyr4.jpg

and likely to be based on Age Group Qualifying next...AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group...

hx2a9f.jpg

6) the weather is very hot and humid, and world records are difficult to achieve here, so how to attract world-class marathoners (and overseas spectators) to come to Singapore to see a world record shall (or never) be broken...

meaning,  AbbottWMM can better look somewhere else, maybe China or even in Africa, since weather and the running talents must be abundant in a country of billions, and of course, there are many cities in China and in other Asian countries...with no road closure woes...a city can be closed for a day on marathon day...

it doesn't mean Singapore Marathon can never be in the AbbottWMM...it is just like F1 Night Race, an international franchise...just like AbbottWMM

under the agreement of SCSM editions with Asia Ironman (Wanda), SCSM is always ready to be in 2020 to be listed in AbbottWMM..THEY are talking about the Elites, and the Participants...

and AbbottWMM Series of 7 is Singapore...YES

so much is already at stack, the prize money for 2018 is offered to $0.5 million...already Asia Ironman has got good feedback from the ground, especially from both the Elites and the Paricipants (us)...so cannot lose face and say no lah...

and now focus on the government...please lah, support lah...AbbottWMM...world class marathon in Singapore...and if you ask many of those, how many actually watch SCSM Marathon "live" TV on Dec 9...some will say, "What is that?"...uncle definitely never ask aunty got watch...for she would always say, "go sleep better on a Sunday...zzzzzIZZZZZ!"  ;) ... wake up aunty...support leh...pleeze..

AbbottWMM (Series XIII) Singapore Marathon in 2020? .... uncle surely support :) 

Edited by kohpapa

12 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Well  I certainly hope the govt and Singaporean residents can just Jump In the Fire, One time.  Nothing Else Matters.

\m/?\m/

extracted on why marathon drug doping is still a problem...and relevant to consideration of any city in Asia (Outside Japan) with selection criteria to be considered as AbbotWMM series of 7 in 2020...

2iihm53.jpg

China's national marathon champion and Olympian Wang Jiali was banned for eight years after failing a drugs test, her second violation.

BEIJING: Chinese athletes who use performance-enhancing drugs will receive criminal punishments and jail terms from next year, as China cracks down on doping ahead of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, state media reported.

China's sports administration and top judicial authority are drafting rules that would apply criminal law to doping cases, official news agency Xinhua said Friday (Dec 28).

Citing remarks made at a Friday meeting by Gou Zhongwen, director of China's sports administration, Xinhua said that the new anti-doping punishments will be put into effect "probably in early 2019".

"It is our will to show the world we are really serious about anti-doping, and are taking concrete measures on fight against doping," Gou said.

China's sports administration told AFP it could not confirm Xinhua's report.

Doping scandals have riddled China's international sporting record in the past decade, with some athletes stripped of Olympic gold medals.

All medals won by Chinese athletes at major international tournaments in the last two decades of the 20th century are tainted by doping, alleged the whistleblower, Xue Yinxian.

This year, China banned several of its own athletes who were found to have used performance-enhancing drugs, as Beijing works to clean up its international sporting reputation.

so, Singapore Marathon could still have a chance, Well  I certainly hope the govt and Singaporean residents can just Jump In the Fire, One time.  Nothing Else Matters.

everyone who are participants of any of the AbbotWMM series, must be ready to undertake AbbotWMM Wanda Age Group Qualification which will be implemented from 2019...so get points for Entry Selection for Singapore Marathon 2020...will be the right direction...

uncle's summary, Train hard, Train smart with no drug-enhancement, Run 4 hour and below, and the dream of Singapore as one of Series 7 from 2020 shall be positive step...Show you can run (AbbotWMM Wanda Age Group Qualifying) to the govt and Singaporean residents that you can just Jump in the Fire, One time. Nothing Else Matters. ;) .... yoh aunty (Singaporean resident non-Runner Complaint Queen) says one, otherwise, talk so much air for what...all better go sleep on Dec Sunday morning and then dream long long zzzz!ZZZZ!

ABUTTHEN...just like Singapore has succeeded in hosting F1 Night Race (exclusive), then why not make Singapore as host AbbotWMM Series 7 for Night Marathon Race (exclusive)...and that will mean Sundown Marathon (F4U) moving towards sanctioned-race for zzzz!ZZZZ! Can Wait, a potential candidate...and Singapore Marathon (Asia Ironman aka Wanda) both vying for Night Marathon Race for AbbotWMM Series 7  :) 

somemore ELM medal sweet deal...

mud8rd.jpg

this will be uncle's Goodbye 2018, Hello 2019 wish....Cheers.

Edited by kohpapa

Hey @kohpapa sorry have been MIA during this period. Thanks so much for your support and also highlighting where photos and videos are. Have used them in my own blog post now :)

https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2018/12/29/76-singapore-marathon-an-account-of-the-marathon/

As for govt support, we are working on it.....found out they also want to see a clean run!!!!

Now I really want a cold run. Wishing you all much running happiness in 2019. 

Edited by Lady Ice

On 12/28/2018 at 8:08 PM, lonewolf said:

This quote by Ironman Managing Director for Asia Geoff Meyer hit the issue right on the head :crazysmile:

Sad but true. I mean just look at what happens when the MRTs stop running to bring runners to the race site. -_-

Still, I think Mr Meyer over-simplify the issue. The biggest single factor is govt buy-in. If they are convinced, then anything is possible. Just look at how F1 was pushed through despite the inconvenience and complaints and that is over a few days.

Of course, the WMM is nowhere near as prestigious and glamorous as F1. And the economic bottom line is probably significantly lower too. 

Still, I dun think we should rest on our laurels. I think SCKLM (even if it's not even a IAAF Gold Label Race) may also tick many of the boxed that the WMM are looking for. 

let's see how Singapore can really make it into WMM in the next few years.... Weather today is equally punishing so..... cannot imagine runners from all over the world come here to run in this HUMID country.... 

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

let's see how Singapore can really make it into WMM in the next few years.... Weather today is equally punishing so..... cannot imagine runners from all over the world come here to run in this HUMID country.... 

There are a lot of positives for foreigners to come to Singapore - safe, clean country where public transport works, lots of shopping/food, sights to see for a couple of days.  They would do it as part of the challenge.

I remember in New York, whilst passing a homeless bag lady, she pushed me, pointed her finger at me and said "Don't"! ...and then walked on. That was it??? When am in the US, at the back of mind is the freedom of guns and the increasing number of shoot outs so I did not respond.

So certainly think the Singapore Marathon can be a WMM.

8 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

When talking about the weather, Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon appears in my mind. Well, it's always held in January, and how was the whether, the organization and other things there? Can anybody share your experience with us? I guess that some of people here participated it...