lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

13 hours ago, Pearlina said:

Yah, maybe my face jin smelly during e run esp e sunny weather is making me very moody. i am e type who siam e sun whenever possible. i carry an umbrella to shade me frm e sun during lunchtime etc. 

kohpapa, it could be a blessing that u are at e last pen. you became e voice of 'e-not-so-fast-runner-bt-wanna-do-marathon'

it takes more mental strength to complete e run at e last pen due to e brutal sun + most of e runners ard u are walking + nt enuff supplies (water, banana, gels) + runners ahead of u were doing a u turn

i remembered there was one yr whereby there were bo bananas at all. that was epic. e struggle is very real.

dear Pearlina,

uncle may have seen you...but, I remembered all looked for shade along the route of the construction site along the Garden by the Bay Golf Course, all want to siam the sun...and many seem want to siam...bang to each other..supposed just for the little comfort of "shade" we realised how we treasure the moments of....

1. nearly cut-off...more to come, when...

2. why the sun rises from the east and not west...

3. why after 21km...we should have been cut-off at the HM-FM split...if we could be cut-off

4. no bananas...and gel (more empty boxes)....uncle nearly want to eat "banana peels" since uncle maintain no gel please, because uncle suffered sugar-spike addiction with high-level of gel intake, and has realised that, I should abstain from doctor's order years ago...

5. runners ahead u turn and face us...actually some are not cut-off because earliers waves are never cut off...

6. statistics must show that the last percentage of DNF or beyond 7 hours must be from Pen G...a fallacy that must be "broken" because of the COT is cut-off-route for those who had need attempted with sheer of human endeavour, determination...and Nothing is Impossible or Everything is Possible is made impossible by this fallacy - last wave is to be damned as "Tried hard next time"..and the matter is the human's insanity of not looking at the ground level and look at what @lonewolf did...statstically, Pen G last wave how come can deserve the most disadvantaged condition...and years after the years after the COT implementation...nobody cares and bothers...

uncle actually was sad, because as in before, uncle felt the last wave deserved to be cut-off, but in this instance, uncle as almost DNF...and suddently, realised, how can that be...then the illogical become the logical...COT for all is never fair for the last wave...short-changed and that is why they are DNF...tens and hundreds...

no oversight, because there is no voice from those who tried, injured and 1st timer, wonder why year after year, being in the last Pen...of course, we all know...don't be in the last wave - for you are surely cut...and that is why, my purpose is to find...is this true...YES.

read all your post-COT comments, uncle come back (last time again) is to say...this is a discussion of open consensus...relook at ourselves...what is PB...what is Fun and Joy...What is pain...What is cut-off...and What is being human again...there will be another race...another experience...international..WWM series...and this Forum Thread is always the last event for the year...must be a reflection of what the year ended...looking forward, what are your aspirations in 2019...

uncle started...10km and 42Km Double-up Challenge...already started..yes, a little tired, abutthen...can be done when scsm 2019 comes...

uncle's advantages - all the official routes of most events are accessible...including the West Coast Highway.. just go there wee hours of 2-5am...still can run...but always kena honked by Trucks and shout, "Seow Ah Uncle - you want to die is it? run WCH for what..?"

best wishes to all 

Edited by kohpapa

5 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

dear Pearlina,

uncle may have seen you...but, I remembered all looked for shade along the route of the construction site along the Garden by the Bay Golf Course, all want to siam the sun...and many seem want to siam...bang to each other..supposed just for the little comfort of "shade" we realised how we treasure the moments of....

1. nearly cut-off...more to come, when...

2. why the sun rises from the east and not west...

3. why after 21km...we should have been cut-off at the HM-FM split...if we could be cut-off

4. no bananas...and gel (more empty boxes)....uncle nearly want to eat "banana peels" since uncle maintain no gel please, because uncle suffered in sugar-spike addiction, and has realised that, I should abstain from doctor's order years ago...

5. runners ahead u turn and face us...actually some are not cut-off because earliers waves are never cut off...

6. statistics must show that the last percentage of DNF or beyond 7 hours must be from Pen G...a fallacy that must be "broken" because of the COT is cut-off-route for those who had need attempted with sheer of human endeavour, determination...and Nothing is Impossible or Everything is Possible is made impossible by this fallacy - last wave is to be damned as "Tried hard next time"..and the matter is the human's insanity of not looking at the ground level and look at what @lonewolf did...statstically, Pen G last wave deserved the most disadvantaged condition...

uncle actually was sad, because as in before, uncle felt the last wave deserved to be cut-off, but in this instance, uncle as almost DNF...and suddently, realised, how can that be...then the illogical become the logical...COT for all is never fair for the last wave...short-changed and that is why they are DNF...tens and hundreds...

no oversight, because there is no voice from those who tried, injured and 1st timer, wonder why year after year, being in the last Pen...of course, we all know...don't be in the last wave - for you are surely cut...and that is why, my purpose is to find...is this true...YES.

read all your post-COT comments, uncle come back (last time again) is to say...this is a discussion of open consensus...relook at ourselves...what is PB...what is Fun and Joy...What is pain...What is cut-off...and What is being human again...there will be another race...another experience...international..WWM series...and this Forum Thread is always the last event for the year...must be a reflection of what the year ended...looking forward, what are your aspirations in 2019...

uncle started...10km and 42Km Double-up Challenge...already started..yes, a little tired, abutthen...can be done when scsm 2019 comes...

uncle's advantages - all the official routes of most events are accessible...including the West Coast Highway.. just go there wee hours of 2-5am...still can run...but always kena honked by Trucks and shout, "Seow Ah Uncle - you want to die is it? run WCH for what..?"

best wishes to all 

Uncle you don’t anyhow suggest people run on WCH hor. Wait they kena accident your conscience forever pricked. 

aiyo bro Wonderfulblevic...uncle wants to talk to sweet lady...you come and disturb uncle...take a queue behind uncle loh

yes, WCH will come back in SD 2019...sure want...because runners say sibei song mah...

but, let me tell you a story...I already say, never barefoot on WCH because road is very rough...saw barefoot runners...sibei pain pain...uncle don't know what to say...never read uncle's tips at sgrunners...

thought uncle wants to go away also cannot...

ok...last one...I now go Injuries sinseh forum thread...you all got Plantar Faciitis...go and see uncle doc..uncle will be busy at Nutrition, Injuries and Running forum thread..see you there...

Edited by kohpapa

You may download your eCertificate from your result page's MY CERTIFICATE link.

Quite surprised after the incident I was greeted with a head-on small saloon car entered into the Cool Zone @ 25km for "car wash???" against the runners flow, immediately I've forgotten about this trembling SHOCK once exited the Haunted Cool Zone and continued my long journey...

I really hope the organizer reviews this serious incident...

Edited by activerun

56 minutes ago, activerun said:

Quite surprised after the incident I was greeted with a head-on small saloon car entered into the Cool Zone @ 25km for "car wash???" against the runners flow, immediately I've forgotten about this trembling SHOCK once exited the Haunted Cool Zone and continued my long journey...

I really hope the organizer reviews this serious incident...

uncle got evidence of it @last wave and snapped:

200vd5i.jpg

yes, all 4 of them later kena DNF...for chong'in the course route...recklessly

Edited by kohpapa

Hey @kohpapa - were able to observe if there was a lot of litter on the ground when you were going through?

I know it is late but here is my write up about the initiative at the REPC at the SCSM 2018:

https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2018/12/13/singapore-marathon-expo5-8-dec-2018-educating-runners-to-bin-it/

Once again thank you to everyone who supported this initiative to have a litter free event

Edited by Lady Ice

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

Hey @kohpapa - were able to observe if there was a lot of litter on the ground when you were going through?

I know it is late but here is my write up about the initiative at the REPC at the SCSM 2018:

https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2018/12/13/singapore-marathon-expo5-8-dec-2018-educating-runners-to-bin-it/

Once again thank you to everyone who supported this initiative to have a litter free event

When I was running along the stretch of Fullerton Road and Collyer Quay towards Cecil Road and I saw a Tyre lady (not sure was that you ?) was running near the center of the road separator or divider.

I was SHOCK when I saw the Tyre lady was not dragging the Tyre but was carrying the tyre on her shoulder and she still managed to response to my greeting !!! :good:

Edited by activerun

anything for my sweet @Lady Ice, uncle responds immediately...yes, sweet @Lady Ice is she..Tyre lady

this time, I would say, it is better, because the asia ironman staff and crew is very responsive...

yes, I saw you with your tyre at 30km point...so you can how way behind I was....because if the pace I am going through, I surely be DNF anytime, but again being in the last wave, I became the "sweeper"....things that are right, tell, but things that are not so right...say, maybe it is oversight...so for improvement....

this year the Asia Ironman adopted like what it is "Ironman" staff and crew highest standard in service...each hydration point, this is an incharge...otherwise, there will be staff with bike to ensure safety, first aid, and of course route cleanliness..event strict protocol because it is a sanctioned race

just like I am a participant, official, I look at overall plan...because as an IAAF official (Ex- because uncle love to participate more than to be one enforcing the rule like the COT)...I see the layout plan of of every thing as an IAAF sanctioned route (Elites)...but, as a participant, I take note of the runners hydration and nutrition needs...toilets...welfare...first aid..of course, the cheering teams leave much to be desired...but again because of the large area of coverage....West Coast Highway to ECP...even AHM (Army Half Marathon) run is 21km...to have AHM to host 42km....they also will need a large manpower crew..

yes, because this time Asia Ironman is really very professional...they have zoned "disposal point" with really professional wordings..and the spaciousness of the hydration and nutrition point is awesome....unlike the previous editions...so, bin it! and the spacious hydration and food points are excellent...which everyone has agreed with 3-tier service in excellence by the volunteers (in fact they should be called crew)...

the only oversight is that...as I have stated...the Japanese separating of Banana Peels...Cups...Disposal Waste Managerment may go beyond our standard of "anyhow"...like banana peels just pile with the cups side-by-side, together with gel and wrappers...perhaps in the Far East Countries that have Laws that say - separate...now that is really an eye sore to the Japanese, Taiwanese and Koreans, maybe if EU Countries that are Go for Green initiatives and Environment Laws...why do likedat - unprofessional...

of course, uncle has said why the floor is so sticky (100plus) and white flakes of recycled materials suspected from the disposal cups..and imagine you just "float" past a gluey solution, it is blessed there is no rain...and what if there is rain on dec 9 sunday, then the whole Bin It will become a soggy solution of gluey white on the floor...and with this, we don't see this this year...

if I observe even the toilets are well placed, with proper entrance...and so cleanliness of what us human waste is away from the food and water points..a plus...

sometimes the rubbish is the construction site dirt mix with water become clay...and again imagine the construction area is water logged...and all gluey stuff and decomposed biodegradable cups...and waves after waves come and go and step...you would expect the last wave to feel that the whole place is like a war zone...but that again depends on the cleaning crew...how soon can they gather wave after wave of debris into bags...and I say...because there is no rain..the pick ups are fast...and manageable...

at the finishing point...unlike the previous years...all FM, HM and even 10km meet almost at the same time...but this year, the 5km and 10km were separated into 1st day....and now even there is no chance that FM and HM meet at 17-19km (HM) and 37-39km (FM)...so the mass run in the SCMS Village is controlled...and so, the wide space at the end point..and the end of race goodies area...is well contained, with the complaint no tentage for resting...

yes, the place are with bins..and cleaning duty perform by volunteers...because this time there is no 5 and 10km...and even if FM came back..the HM have completed the cut-off time...and now waiting for the final FM participants...all should be at by 7++ hours...

the policy of moving on by officials are good one...otherwise, someone will want to stay..eat and then...discard...so bins are visible to remind..BIN IT!...and the message is very strong this year...because if the event village is so clean...who dare not to BIN IT...deserve to be stared at or be reminded by runners who are there...to see everyone BIN IT!...again, remind ourselves, SMSM is a 2-day event, not 1-day...

so, well done for the years of the keep our runs free of waste (litter)...the campaigns..and I must say if we head to WMM...we must also benchmark on Cleanliness index...

as I have said, we are blessed with a sunny Marathon, and what if it rain then... and this is a 2-day event..so uncle put these conditions into consideration...we need to monitor and assess...litter free at SCSM...there is still room for improvement...and we have to work together yet...we still cannot pat ourselves in 2018...because the situation is not tested for what if...back to this is a 1-day event?

cheers, again to be invited to this forum thread...thank you for reading uncle's 2cent worth...open for consensus by others...please...all contribute more posts...

Edited by kohpapa

pacemaker or pacesetter, sometimes informally called a rabbit, is a runner who leads a middle- or long distance running event for the first section to ensure a fast time and avoid excessive tactical racing

nvtz7n.jpg

since running is much less efficient than bicycling, drafting affords less benefit for a runner (as a triathlete)

a significant reduction in effort on the order of 1-2 % can still be realized by drafting when you run, especially into a headwind, 

so next time...run strong, run smart...see pacers (rabbits)...run behind them....they provide you the drafting...and chong when nearer to your target zone...get PB...thanks to rabbits...?

actually one reason why uncle late, because uncle was at the 1st 5 km of race route observing the Elites (including locals with no rabbits)...from 2km...there was a live broadcasting of event..so because the key runner was to be iive in video...so all rabbits go one side of nicoll highway...out of the camera range..counted about 20 rabbits in 2 columns beside eventual champion...then when the video is out of range..then the formation of the draft takes place....same for the ladies Elites...

the role of the rabbit is to pace...and one time there was a surprised upset by an unknown, a rabbit became the champion, and of course win the top prize and money...and so cannot come as a returning champion, and lost the rabbit job...because the job of the rabbit is to pace...

anyone wants to uncle's rabbit for last wave in 2019...

bgba6c.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

2 hours ago, activerun said:

When I was running along the stretch of Fullerton Road and Collyer Quay towards Cecil Road and I saw a Tyre lady (not sure was that you ?) was running near the center of the road separator or divider.

I was SHOCK when I saw the Tyre lady was not dragging the Tyre but was carrying the tyre on her shoulder and she still managed to response to my greeting !!! :good:

Thanks @activerun. I completed about 17km of dragging in total. Some parts were too crowded for me to drag safely especially when going round corners, or into hydration zones, or the route was too narrow and crowded. My concern is for the safety of the runners. So it became safer for me to carry the darn thing. At times there were people slower than me across the front of me, again it became safer to just carry the tyre to zig zag between. BTW my legs were so tired from the 3 days at the expo and volunteering the day before, decided am human after all ? So when the sun came out I decided it was okay to carry the tyre. Nothing to prove any more, this being #76 with a tyre :D

Thank you bro @kohpapa for your feedback. We will keep campaigning towards a litter free event which I hope we will soon be able to see in more events. Am hoping we can put further initiatives across to the organisation to reduce the amount of rubbish generated. Hopefully you will see the Green Nudge guys at further events.

BTW what did you all think of the sun glasses as a gift?

Edited by Lady Ice

22 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

pacemaker or pacesetter, sometimes informally called a rabbit, is a runner who leads a middle- or long distance running event for the first section to ensure a fast time and avoid excessive tactical racing

the role of the rabbit is to pace...and one time there was a surprised upset by an unknown, a rabbit became the champion, and of course win the top prize and money...and so cannot come as a returning champion, and lost the rabbit job...because the job of the rabbit is to pace...

hahaha - really the rabbit won?!!!

20 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

hahaha - really the rabbit won?!!!

34hdzzd.jpg

to all here, uncle bids bye bye...have a great holiday...

Extracted from Runsociety (Maylinda Teo) Images from Singapore Marathon 2018 race experience, with thanks from uncle...for the purpose of sharing:

https://www.runsociety.com/races/standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2018-race-review/

2w4ehdl.jpg

1zd2fzm.jpg

1zxqnmp.jpg

izrceh.jpg

2rrw3tg.jpg

blnuo.jpg

Enjooy...

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.3e7e5c02d12cf92f7c2c6a65f85c2689.png

After came down from the Heart-Break Sheares Ave towards the Republic Ave, at that moment, my thought was not again have to run under the Merdeka Bridge towards the Crawford Street before make a U-Turn backed  towards the Raffles Ave...

What a BIG RELIEVE once I reached the 40 km mark and saw the U-Turn just ahead...

image.thumb.png.e1438e94144e14f6c0935a7735ed2ef3.png

Thank you @kohpapa - may I use a couple of your photos for my blog post? Also can you share the photo of the car in the cool zone? I would like to send that to the organisers.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, Lady Ice said:

BTW what did you all think of the sun glasses as a gift?

It's a joke lah. Cheap plastic stuff. Frankly, I am surprised to see a few runners (mostly from overseas) actually wearing the sunglasses when running. The best thing about it was the pouch it came in. Mine was broken and I just promptly chunked it (in a recycled bin of cos) :crazysmile:

I have never seen what a WMM rack pack looks like but the cheap sunglasses is surely not an item befitting of a WMM aspirant? 

[Update]  I decided to trawl for some online pictures of WMM major race pack and this is what I come up with.

Toyko Marathon 2018 Race Pack

• Running BIB and pin
  • Free 24-hour Metro pass on race day
  • Timing chip to be tied on shoe
  • Tokyo Marathon 2018 race venue information booklet for runners
  • Tokyo comprehensive map with tourist attractions
  • Official baggage bag for bag check-in on race day

IMG_0248.HEIC

Image Credit: https://www.justrunlah.com/2018/04/15/tokyo-marathon-2018-race-review-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

Edited by lonewolf

Depends on the WMM, The other 2 I have been to: London had some samples and mostly flyers giving discounts; New York was the same. The finishers t-shirt at London is always over sized and best used as a night shirt

Also London and New York do not provide a singlet at registration. New York you have to buy everything and the event is already very expensive due to road closures and number of police out on the streets

On 12/13/2018 at 11:49 AM, kohpapa said:

uncle got evidence of it @last wave and snapped:

200vd5i.jpg

yes, all 4 of them later kena DNF...for chong'in the course route...recklessly

The passengers and drivers are ekiden  runners?  What a way to get to cheat. 

But anyway, organiser should seriously look into this on how an non-official car entered the runner route and get hidden in the cooling mist. Worst things could happen like the terrorist attack at boston marathon a few years back. 

Thanks @Ender - am touching base with organiser for next year's continued initiative to keep the course litter free. The background of the photo doesn't make sense though. Which part of the route is that photo from?

Here's my write up combined with your observations at the base camp village:

https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2018/12/15/singapore-marathon-bin-it-right/

Edited by Lady Ice

1 hour ago, Ender said:

The passengers and drivers are ekiden  runners?  What a way to get to cheat. 

But anyway, organiser should seriously look into this on how an non-official car entered the runner route and get hidden in the cooling mist. Worst things could happen like the terrorist attack at boston marathon a few years back. 

aiyo, uncle got to be recalled back to this forum thread again, because kena quoted alert....tsk...tsk...but, it is good to return for verification with explanation...

since I was in last wave, there was technician checking on the cooling zone..he looked ordinary with no pass, and not scsm official...and because it is time to pack up...so start to dismantle the cooler from the blownup setup...and I even saw the blownup was about to be taken down....so, I supposed, these may be the contractors of the cooling zone...so question to scsm...contractors? are they allowed to be at the race route, if yes, are they allowed to have their vehicle entered into the race route? are they given any security screening and even pass to be at the race-route? what if @Ender they are potential terrorists...then uncle gave thumbs up for the concern...

yes, it is not proper for non-official car...unless it is for the purpose of first aid - ambulance...authorised means security screened and authorised for the purpose of security and first aid...how about, the transport for the crew...all must have planned properly before runners enter the race route...

abuthen...the report of this "mysterious" vehicle...uncle must apologise...this pic snapped was meant to be an act of mischief, not real...

was there really a "vehicle"? because nobody has feedback and report from the ground while running the race route...and for those who had seen...did not even report and make a really strong complain about it...some more no pic..so uncle created this "haunted and ghostly" encounter...did the concerned person really "see" the vehicle or a "passing" which nobody even notice...abuthen...was it a virtual encounter?...soory...uncle was just exploring the other possibility....why nobody knew, nobody supported the report here so far or from any other feedback on their experiences in the race route from all sources...maybe need a playback from the eye of the sky...satellite?!?

the only official car is only when the Elites running and returning towards the finishing...there should be the only vehicle for the Race Official - The Chief Timer...behind the car...a motor bike mounted with a timer to inform the Elites...

and that is what uncle seen on the 1st 2-3-4 km of the Elites in Pen A along Nicoll Highway...this same vehicle and the motor bike mounted with a timer...with the Elites running behind... will be the official car...

Edited by kohpapa