lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

Running Shots Photos here: 17 km when the HM and FM seperate...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/runningshots.sg/photos/

@yh90 it is good experience if you want to have, but, if you are going for the PB, this is not worth it...

uncle just wanted to have fun, chatting with this last wave, some are really serious runners, most here are 6-7-8 hours...mostly Marathon NewBies and Ex-Cut-off ones meaning they should had done like 7+ nett time this year completed at the finishing or DNF due to injuries...now want to prove they want to make the cut...and had tried 2nd or even 3rd time....so, the desire and the motivation is needed...hence cheering for the last wave must be the loudest, for this is really missing...the element of greatest motivation is sadly not here...

and in this last wave, uncle just wanted to make a statement that the cut-off time does not apply to all who ran the earlier waves, because only the last wave is cut-off by 7-hour, which is not true...simply the cut-off time is for route-closure, and not COT marathon time...so SCSM must explain, how come this COT is supposed to be 7-hour route, becomes a 4-hour route for the last wave...while others simply chong to the finishing point with 7++ hour, and yet they are not cut-off at key check points like in the last wave...something that scsm must identify as a follow-up for 2019...

of course, uncle will want all to be able to take up challenge next year 10km and 42km double up challenge...because uncle had done on the same day 10km and 21km  - only at SD because there was a break of 10kam at 8pm, and 21km at 1230am, this requires quick recovery and strength to be built up for another run after 24-hour...and this required training...

congrats to those 10km and 21km double up challenge, join uncle next year for the 10+42 double up challenge...and we tell grandpa and grandma story then...

actually if those who had recovered from FM of 48 hours ago, and still can run a 10km or even 21km today, you should be a candidate for this 10+42 double up challenge...think uncle today should be ok to do a recovery 10km+...check leg ok with no injury or muscle ache - NO, yes, carbo load - ...then go for it lah.

it has been a wonderful time here, meeting old and ones here (see your # posts, can know)...for those new ones, no need to worry what you write, here uncle, anything anyhow write also can...talk to self got no response, just express yourself...some experienced bros and sis will come to your enquiry....fast..

last run event of the year...looks like uncle going to hibernate till next year...not bad for almost doing 100 posts for 2018...

back for Sundown 2019 to havoc?...with new event management, knew them from a multi-event as Official to ensure they are sanctioned by the ASTC - Asian Triathlon Confederation.. I believe they have a dedicated team, but they surely cannot beat the world-class Asia Ironman Team with their vast international experience and exposure, especially if their core business is Ironman Series...hallmark of Endurance Sports - Nothing is Impossible, Everything is Possible attitude...hope everyone has a chance to be challenged as an Ironman..if not in the race with the Ironman Motto attitude in life...sports build character....yes, it does.

merry christmas and happy new year to all...bye bye for having me to havoc here in this forum thread...see you next year...:)

Edited by kohpapa

2 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Running Shots Photos here: 17 km when the HM and FM seperate...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/runningshots.sg/photos/

@yh90 it is good experience if you want to have, but, if you are going for the PB, this is not worth it...

uncle just wanted to have fun, chatting with this last wave, some are really serious runners, most here are 6-7-8 hours...mostly Marathon NewBies and Ex-Cut-off ones meaning they should had done like 7+ nett time this year completed at the finishing or DNF due to injuries...now want to prove they want to make the cut...and had tried 2nd or even 3rd time....so, the desire and the motivation is needed...hence cheering for the last wave must be the loudest, for this is really missing...the element of greatest motivation is sadly not here...

and in this last wave, uncle just wanted to make a statement that the cut-off time does not apply to all who ran the earlier waves, because only the last wave is cut-off by 7-hour, which is not true...simply the cut-off time is for route-closure, and not COT marathon time...so SCSM must explain, how come this COT is supposed to be 7-hour route, becomes a 4-hour route for the last wave...while others simply chong to the finishing point with 7++ hour, and yet they are not cut-off at key check points like in the last wave...something that scsm must identify as a follow-up for 2019...

of course, uncle will want all to be able to take up challenge next year 10km and 42km double up challenge...because uncle had done on the same day 10km and 21km  - only at SD because there was a break of 10kam at 8pm, and 21km at 1230am, this requires quick recovery and strength to be built up for another run after 24-hour...and this required training...

congrats to those 10km and 21km double up challenge, join uncle next year for the 10+42 double up challenge...and we tell grandpa and grandma story then...

actually if those who had recovered from FM of 48 hours ago, and still can run a 10km or even 21km today, you should be a candidate for this 10+42 double up challenge...think uncle today should be ok to do a recovery 10km+...check leg ok with no injury or muscle ache - NO, yes, carbo load - ...then go for it lah.

it has been a wonderful time here, meeting old and ones here (see your # posts, can know)...for those new ones, no need to worry what you write, here uncle, anything anyhow write also can...talk to self got no response, just express yourself...some experienced bros and sis will come to your enquiry....fast..

last run event of the year...looks like uncle going to hibernate till next year...not bad for almost doing 100 posts for 2018...

back for Sundown 2019 to havoc?...with new event management, knew them from a multi-event as Official to ensure they are sanctioned by the ASTC - Asian Triathlon Confederation.. I believe they have a dedicated team, but they surely cannot beat the world-class Asia Ironman Team with their vast international experience and exposure, especially if their core business is Ironman Series...hallmark of Endurance Sports - Nothing is Impossible, Everything is Possible attitude...hope everyone has a chance to be challenged as an Ironman..if not in the race with the Ironman Motto attitude in life...sports build character....yes, it does.

merry christmas and happy new year to all...bye bye for having me to havoc here in this forum thread...see you next year...:)

19k mark dun have my photo ?

Sundown I did 5k and HM.

Pb in 5k and paced a friend to sub 2 in HM later on 

Edited by yh90

Thank you @prisangel & @AutumnRunner for binning it during the run.

From my observations, think it was mostly the Pen A and Pen B runners who littered the place. They also did not hear the emcee make an announcement to put all rubbish in the bin.

However it was a cleaner run in my experience from previous times and we will get there for an even cleaner safer run for all as we go from event to event to event :)

12 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

Thank you @prisangel & @AutumnRunner for binning it during the run.

From my observations, think it was mostly the Pen A and Pen B runners who littered the place. They also did not hear the emcee make an announcement to put all rubbish in the bin.

However it was a cleaner run in my experience from previous times and we will get there for an even cleaner safer run for all as we go from event to event to event :)

Oops. Cuz all Chase timing so forgot. I tried to aim for dustbin but some cups I missed.

Edited by yh90

5 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

You'll need to practise more and bin it next time :) Hope you put your gel packets in the bin or back in your pocket!

Race against the clock ma. So dun really care. 

But I'll be more careful next time.

Noobie don't understand why the race cannot start earlier ; say maybe 0230 or 0330 but end at the same time - this will help those having to start at the last wave.
Also this will also allow a cooler run for some or most of the runners.
Any comment on this @kohpapa

Anyway, tat is all the negative comment Noobie has to give. Overall Noobie finds the race the best SCSM yet.

3 minutes ago, NoobieRunner said:

Noobie don't understand why the race cannot start earlier ; say maybe 0230 or 0330 but end at the same time - this will help those having to start at the last wave.

Anyway, tat is all the negative comment Noobie has to give. Overall Noobie finds the race the best SCSM yet.

4am better. Like scmkl.

Earlier than this , it's too early liao.

I think I read somewhere before the organisers have plans to convert SCSM to evening race.  With fireworks and all. This would also solve the “no supporters” problem somewhat. Not sure whether still on the cards. 

26 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I think I read somewhere before the organisers have plans to convert SCSM to evening race.  With fireworks and all. This would also solve the “no supporters” problem somewhat. Not sure whether still on the cards. 

I think the timing they schedule the fireworks (if that really happens) will be the point when the elites run past it, not for us mere mortals to be able to see.

44 minutes ago, NoobieRunner said:

0230 will be like Sundown Marathon liao.

8 hours ago, kohpapa said:

@kohpapayou have my respect for championing those at the last pen. Well said.

I fully agreed with you if the organizer SCSM can resolve on cut-off time for route closure then everybody will be happy. Fast runners in earlier pens can go for their PB & average runners in last pen can also enjoy their marathon experience within 7 hour cut off. 

At the end of the day, if those last pen runners still cannot finish within 7 hour marathon COT, they simply have to put in extra effort & try again next year. Cheers.

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

Race against the clock ma. So dun really care. 

But I'll be more careful next time.

if next time race against the clock again how?

4 minutes ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

@kohpapayou have respect for championing those at the last pen. Well said.

I fully agreed with you if the organizer SCSM can resolve on cut-off time for route closure then everybody will be happy. Fast runners in earlier pens can go for their PB & average runners in last pen can also enjoy their marathon experience within 7 hour cut off. 

At the end of the day, if those last pen runners still cannot finish within 7 hour marathon COT, they simply have to put in extra effort & try again next year. Cheers.

Easier if runners are put in pens according to previous fm timings from any iaaf certified  fm or sg races. First time fm one go last pen lor.

Whoever submit fake timings,entry denied 

Cot should always be time after last flag off 

39 minutes ago, medic said:

if next time race against the clock again how?

Haha. @yh90 next time be more conscious lah. That 1-2 seconds spent making sure you throw properly may even mean faster timing cos you’re also “resting” your legs. No need chiong at water stations wan. Nowadays I just chill and even walk while drinking. I find that it doesn’t waste much time overall cos my poor legs get to have some rest. It’s a loong race! 

Honestly I still don’t get why empty cups are thrown on the floor at water stations. Not even near the bins ie throw and missed kind. Runners obviously drink and just drop the cups while running! 

Edited by wonderfulblevic

13 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Haha. @yh90 next time be more conscious lah. That 1-2 seconds spent making sure you throw properly may even mean faster cos you’re also “resting” your legs. No need chiong at water stations wan. Nowadays I just chill and even walk while drinking. I find that it doesn’t waste much time overall cos my poor legs get to have some rest. It’s a loong race! 

Honestly I still don’t get why empty cups are thrown on the floor at water stations. Not even near the bins ie throw abs missed kind. Runners obviously drink and just drop the cups while running! 

I usally will aim and then throw towards at bin. But got few times missed. cuz no time to go back take cup and throw.

Every second counts ma. Even elite runners also nv throw properly.

11 minutes ago, yh90 said:

I usally will aim and then throw towards at bin. But got few times missed. cuz no time to go back take cup and throw.

Every second counts ma. Even elite runners also nv throw properly.

Hehe run nearer to the bin then throw next time. Or train at home throw into wastepaper basket for a month before SCSM. Hahaha!

• Like 1

A lot have been said over the past 2 days. Just adding my 2 cents here:

• Another one to agree that this is indeed one of the best local FMs that have been organized. As good as the 2XU Marathon that lasted only one edition.
  • No issues with the shuttle bus and baggage this year.
  • Sorry to hear that there is still issues of lack of hydration issues in the last wave of runners, as outlined by lonewolf and kohpapa. I was in one of the later waves as well, and I also noticed that for the FM checkpoints after the split from HM (20km onwards), there were a number of stations that seem to be running out of hydration soon. Hope Ironman can tighten this up more.
  • Finisher Medal is one of the worst local FM ones in terms of quality. Mine had some scratches and starting to show slight signs of oxidation already. Same goes for the engraving – it is barely readable.
  • Enjoyed the West Coast highway as well. The beautiful sunrise more than made up the lack of scenery in the first half of FM.
  • Flag off time can start at 3.30am or 4am to somewhat counter the punishing hot morning/noon weather, if this is not moving to an evening race anytime soon. Like the F1 night race, it is probably for the best interests of participants that we hold our FMs in the night or wee hours of the morning.
  • Still prefer Padang as the end point. And to retrieve baggage at the War Memorial. But I guess they don’t want more issues with the baggage deposit/collection.
  • We are still a distance away from WMM standard, but at least we are moving towards the correct direction this year. Looking forward to it again next year!

On 12/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, lonewolf said:

I am reading the whole cut off time debate with interest and decides to do some number crunching and let the maths do the talking.

If the official cut-off time for the FM is 7h, then the cut-off time should be consistent with that pacing of roughly 9.95min/km

So if I take the cut off time published in the guide (by the way there was a typo for the 39.5km. It was stated as 11:58pm. Those who were cut off there should go and bang table!) and decide to crush the numbers based on KPP declared Wave G flag off of 0530 hrs.

The result is tabulated below:

SCSM2018-CutOff.jpg.1c6c6499e6fb9d5ee9a1f5d983f0963e.jpg

I admit that I was a little surprised at the result. I expected the cut off time to be justified but based on the above table, those in Wave G does indeed have a genuine case to feel aggrieved. Especially those who were marginally cut off (like those in the pictures I took just around 0835 hrs) But those in the earlier pens from F who were cut does not have much to complain about.

So what if the official pace of 9.95 min/km were applied to the 0530 hrs flag off for Pen G. How much additional time would these runners have? Let's find out.

SCSM2018-CutOff2.jpg.3c242620234073664e446f48ff4fa640.jpg

About 3-5 mins more. So would it have made a difference? Probably for the many borderline runners that kpp encountered. But overall, I think most who were cut off probably were not on pace to finish in time.

This is very well done. SCMS should have used your table/numbers with the additional time (mins) for a better cut off time gauge, and also setup earlier timing warning signs about the cut off checkpoints along the route.  

Wonder what is the median time for SCSM FM runners this year.. It seemed that it's between 5hr45 to 6hr15mins.

27 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Wonder what is the median time for SCSM FM runners this year.. It seemed that it's between 5hr45 to 6hr15mins.

I gave up after the 30km mark due to heat and finished at 5:16.  I found myself placed 2821 among 9388 (nett time).  That is exactly 30% percentile.

My colleague finished at 5:49 and his position is 4440.  That is 47.3%

I wonder how many did not complete the race.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:27 PM, kohpapa said:

really...uncle got a charismatic personality....everyone sees me...always want to talk to me...

easy lah...ask them...how r u?....why they join? of course, got cut-off or not...

and when they knew uncle got to meet the cut-off time, they said, don't worry about me....go and chong...and tell everyone their story...lah...

Yah, maybe my face jin smelly during e run esp e sunny weather is making me very moody. i am e type who siam e sun whenever possible. i carry an umbrella to shade me frm e sun during lunchtime etc. 

kohpapa, it could be a blessing that u are at e last pen. you became e voice of 'e-not-so-fast-runner-bt-wanna-do-marathon'

it takes more mental strength to complete e run at e last pen due to e brutal sun + most of e runners ard u are walking + nt enuff supplies (water, banana, gels) + runners ahead of u were doing a u turn

i remembered there was one yr whereby there were bo bananas at all. that was epic. e struggle is very real.

10 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I remember this is part of the overall game plan for WMM...