lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

Indeed, the toilet queue was shorter closer to 4am. But it became longer thereafter. 

I wish they could put back e 'motivational phrases' at the distance marker. It helps abit  more than e cut-off timing. 

Post race village - For me, i just wanna to find a shady spot to rest my tired legs. I hope organizer can prepare a decent tent just for runners to rest and recharge instead of looking ard for a suitable spot. 

@medic  I agree with you, the portaloos are sufficient and they have the signboards well placed to along the FM route to indicate direction toilets away from the hydration poinst...example one that is the construction site where close to the Cruise Centre at Garden by the Bay (East), the portaloos of about 10-20 were ready..even at ECP too....even though all know there are toilet and wash points...

perhaps @AutumnRunner,  being in the heat of completing want to complete another PB, and yet having to the need to observe many things so that he could contribute to his blog which he may have missed..."toilets being insufficient"

uncle being in the last wave, is to observe on the ground on the runners' aspirations of those who are preserved and determined to complete a first marathon or even 2nd or 3rd tries when cut-off in previous marathons...sharing with uncle...how they tried and yet will want to do again next year...the human endeavour to do their hardest best in spite of pain and injury..

kudo to @AutumnRunner who said already without rest and sleep even to complete his blog...still wanted to say this is the best SCSM and I agreed with him, so are many who have commented here...

7 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

However there was more consciousness amongst the runners. Several 3-4 hour runners showed me they were still holding onto their rubbish between check points and saw most 5-7 hour runners putting their rubbish in the bins.

Not sure if you saw me along the route, but my gel packets and my cups all went into the bins. Haha you and your team had some signs up and they constantly reminded me to do so. :)

Still saw a lot of disposable cups being littered on the floor though.

6 minutes ago, Pearlina said:

Indeed, the toilet queue was shorter closer to 4am. But it became longer thereafter. 

I wish they could put back e 'motivational phrases' at the distance marker. It helps abit  more than e cut-off timing. 

Post race village - For me, i just wanna to find a shady spot to rest my tired legs. I hope organizer can prepare a decent tent just for runners to rest and recharge instead of looking ard for a suitable spot. 

@Pealina was absolutely right... there used to be "motivational phrases" that can encourage on the milestone...perhaps right before the cut-off places where surely more DNF runners are expected....1-2 km ahead...appreciated "cheers" in words or visuals...not official greeting you and say, "Sorry folks, we cannot allow you to move on, the course is closed..."

organisers are quick to say...move on..sorry bro...you must move on to here and there...and there is no place even considered as covered because there was hot sun, how about if it rained...

in previous local races, I remembered at Passion Run...large tentage for finishers to rest and consumption of food and drinks, and simply cool down and recover.

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, medic said:

i disagree with the the toilets being insufficient... after doing bag deposit, you will see another ~20 portaloos to use and there was no queue at all when I used it around 4 am

Did autumnrunner use the portable toilets at some other location other than the ones directly in front of F1 pit?  From his post, he seems to have entered the baggage deposit area which was different from mine.  For me, the express entrance for those without baggage was on the right instead.

One more thing - I also wish the queue for massage can be differentiated for marathoners and half-marathoners.  I joined the queue initially but decided to give up.  Queue was not that long but I couldn't stand for too long.

Edited by wonderfulblevic

notice on all hydration points, wet with white tiny deposits on the ground..wonder if these are cups that "breakable" into waste bio degradeables...

Just read on the Japanese Waste Management and Public Cleansing Law:

"This law is enacted for the purpose of preserving the living environment and improving public health through the restriction of waste discharge, appropriate sorting, storage, collection, transport, recycling, disposal, or the like of waste and conservation of a clean living environment."

perhaps we should learn what is the best practice, because it is quite achievable as a World-class Marathon, but Race Waste Management still needed to improve...and that is when @Lady Ice comes in to assist us...kudo

Japanese Marathon Race participants, many have gone and came back with experiences...shared how this Waste Management and Public Cleansing can be introduced here...

Saw at SCMS Village, volunteers as Cleaning Crew dressed up with proper gears..with proper cleaning tools...are real improvement...something in overseas races...even disposal of waste must be treated as primary importance as the race itself....

Edited by kohpapa

Hi all,

I was in Pen G, which started later than many others but the cut-off timing remained the same. Isn't it unfair for the rest of the Pen G who didn't make it to the cut-off?

If they had known earlier, they could perhaps somehow started the race earlier, which gives them more time to strategize their run?

It's almost an hour's difference.

Any thoughts?

yes, uncle was caught in the "1 minute to go"...and land up 30 minutes later to run as last wave...there were many waves in the Pen G...and uncle chose the last wave...5:30am

for many Pen G, they were caught "If started 1hour after 430am"...then those who were in Wave C...should be cut off even before the 17km mark...if individual timing is enforced...

many hundreds were caught at ECP U-turn...27km mark...all the way and was told, "That's all folks..", having seen them, they would have survived if given advanced alert with Visuals of Timing Clock and "motivational" posters.."Don't Give Up...you shall made it if...countdown - 15 minutes"...

Edited by kohpapa

3 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

yes, uncle was caught in the "1 minute to go"...and land up 30 minutes later to run as last wave...there were many waves in the Pen G...and uncle chose the last wave...

Yeah.. that's why, Uncle. I think it's not fair to other runners too. The playing field should be levelled for all so to be fair.

They should consider using those IPPT time display at each checkpoint so that everyone knows the real time.

even in Track event, we have Lap Counter and Timer for 5000m and 10000m. and as officials we counted for them how many laps runner covered and a bell to "warn" runners who have lost focus..."last lap, come on, chong ah"

many in those who were cut-off...I came here once a year..and I must wait for another year, why don't they (must be to officials) tell me earlier...

it is not about the rules...it is about Alert Them Ahead...and some forms of "cheering" - "Don't Give Up"...but, there is never cheering for those who preserved...it is all at the End-point...

as uncle has said, for all who have taken part in marathons, there is always a first - not able to because tried... but, what is able and tried and motivated and made it...somehow, this is missing - the cheering along the route...in fact, I would say...none at ECP...anyone see cheering at West Coast Highway, same there is also a cut-off here...

last time at ECP, even Christmas dressup and bands...cheering..but, don't have the year-end feel...

Edited by kohpapa

if to be fair, like in Triathlon, all wear time tag (deposit $50 and refund if return in working order)...

so at every leg of triathlon, we have a cut-off time...swim, bike and run...

for example, swim....DNF due to cramp...placed at holding area to rest...until the bike leg, if recover...can join with the last participant out from the swim...and continue with Bike and if can even the Run leg...even if both Bike or Run timing, you could be placed as top 10 in the category...

I am sure Ironman Asia being a Triathlon Event Organiser knows...everyone who participated is Everything is Possible..swim - No, Bike - Yes, Run - Yes...then DNF, but still Bike and Run timing still taken..

in this case, having a timing tag for marathon (far fetched and completely insane idea actually) is to play fair for all...and in this case is to eliminate individual time based on gun time or wave start time...for wave G started with staggered time not like the rest of all other wave time..A: 4:30, B: 4:35, C-4:45, D:4:50, E:4:55, F:5:00...Pen G is 5:10, 5:15; 5:20, 5:25, 5:30+ ...

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, medic said:

i disagree with the the toilets being insufficient... after doing bag deposit, you will see another ~20 portaloos to use and there was no queue at all when I used it around 4 am

The only time i used the 'toilet' was right after flag off, i ran towards the bushes just after exiting the F1 pit and joined a line of runners firing into the dark ?

8 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

The only time i used the 'toilet' was right after flag off, i ran towards the bushes just after exiting the F1 pit and joined a line of runners firing into the dark ?

I saw a lady ran into the bushes also. ?

SAFETY BREACH !

When I ran towards the East Coast Park at around 25 km around 7:30 am (I was running under PEN D BIB), saw few motor cyclists tried to get runners attention by shouting and waving just beside the entrance of the Cooling Zone @ 25km. My initial thought was the cheering. But I was wrong when I had just entered into the Cooling Zone immediately I got a BIG SHOCK and was confronted head-on with a saloon car entered into the Cooling Zone against the runners direction and immediately understood the cyclists intention were to warn the runners regarding the car. I took the right side just barely exited the Cooling Zone when the car just entered into the Cooling Zone.

This was the act of "Suicide" where the visibility was very low inside the Cooling Zone.

What a reckless and irresponsible driver whom should get the on site traffic officers' help instead of making dangerous manoeuvre .

I hope no runners were injured just behind me!

Edited by activerun

I am reading the whole cut off time debate with interest and decides to do some number crunching and let the maths do the talking.

If the official cut-off time for the FM is 7h, then the cut-off time should be consistent with that pacing of roughly 9.95min/km

So if I take the cut off time published in the guide (by the way there was a typo for the 39.5km. It was stated as 11:58pm. Those who were cut off there should go and bang table!) and decide to crush the numbers based on KPP declared Wave G flag off of 0530 hrs.

The result is tabulated below:

SCSM2018-CutOff.jpg.1c6c6499e6fb9d5ee9a1f5d983f0963e.jpg

I admit that I was a little surprised at the result. I expected the cut off time to be justified but based on the above table, those in Wave G does indeed have a genuine case to feel aggrieved. Especially those who were marginally cut off (like those in the pictures I took just around 0835 hrs) But those in the earlier pens from F who were cut does not have much to complain about.

So what if the official pace of 9.95 min/km were applied to the 0530 hrs flag off for Pen G. How much additional time would these runners have? Let's find out.

SCSM2018-CutOff2.jpg.3c242620234073664e446f48ff4fa640.jpg

About 3-5 mins more. So would it have made a difference? Probably for the many borderline runners that kpp encountered. But overall, I think most who were cut off probably were not on pace to finish in time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, activerun said:

SAFETY BREACH !

When I ran towards the East Coast Park at around 25 km around 7:30 am (I was running under PEN D BIB), saw few motor cyclists tried to get runners attention by shouting and waving just beside the entrance of the Cooling Zone @ 25km. My initial thought was the cheering. But I was wrong when I had just entered into the Cooling Zone immediately I got a BIG SHOCK and was confronted head-on with a saloon car entered into the Cooling Zone against the runners direction and immediately understood the cyclists intention were to warn the runners regarding the car. I took the right side just barely exited the Cooling Zone when the car just entered into the Cooling Zone.

This was the act of "Suicide" where the visibility was very low inside the Cooling Zone.

What a reckless and irresponsible driver whom should get the on site traffic officers' help instead of making dangerous manoeuvre .

I hope no runners were injured just behind me!

i hope the organiser should look into this, how a car manage to get there.  To think that the breach  with a car entering the running route is possible is serious. What if the driver has sinister intentions..

only authorised vehicle is allowed into the race route, unless special reason.. the Elites are returning and heading to the finishing point..often inside the Saloon Car (must be Toyota) there must be a Chief Timer Official...

the motor cyclists are permitted officials who are allowed to ride the course...first aiders or security or offical observation to ensure IAAF rules are enforce...

7:30am...from 4:30am Wave A...elites from the FM on the way...

@lonewolf would have made a good statistics and analysis...yes they can kpkb..

these wave G runners are not your ordinary fun walkers...they are abled and strong runner completed West Coast Highway...and yet, immediately realised that WCH on the other lane is closed...cut-off time

and it seems the cut-off fear is always behind them all the time...ready to pound on them...anytime...unexpectedly..."sorry folks, uncle you are lucky by few seconds, if you don't see my hand waving at you...you are also DNF.."..

then uncle realised...better run faster or else...abutthen...how about hundreds coming to the ECP 28km...just the effort to go there is...what is 14km more to go...yes, someone says this feels like 43-45km under the sun...

Edited by kohpapa

To be more exact, I reached the Cooling Zone@25km at 7:10 am (PEN D runners started 15 minutes later).

I was pretty sure the motor cyclists were not the SCSM official  without official T-shirt and the small saloon car appeared to be private.

The men/women elite have completed their race by then.

When I just entered the Marina Barrage bridge around 6:50 am, saw local women elite runners Mok Ying Rong followed with Lim Bao Ying but missed Rachel See (I think she ran ahead of Mok Ying Rong) returning at the opposite return route.

Thanks LORD nothing happened to me  to live to tell...

Edited by activerun

In my opinion, this COT issue is a chicken & egg thing. Register truthful timing which most probably at last pen has to worry about DNF thing.

Then next round register early timing pen will create frustration for fast runners due to slow walkers blocking the way.

Nowadays, i memorized COT so as not to get caught. Lol...  

This year's marathon medal appears to be "bull cart wheel" because it is BIG, ROUND and HEAVY. :D

DSC_6253b-1.jpg.4cedd474457fb62de35dad0ceb248815.jpg

(courtesy of http://www.prischew.com)

indus-cart.jpg?itok=WAMLnmi4

The "Quantity" is yes but not sure about the Quality !

Finally the Finisher T-Shirt is GOOD without the distance printing ! :good:

Edited by activerun

I think the cut off time is based on the Pen G last wave starting time at 530am instead of official starting time... they block based on this last starting wave which was suppose to be fair.

those in the earlier starting wave and run slower than the cut off time won’t be penalised.. since it diffcult to monitor everyone. 

Maybe when yr net timing hit more than 7hrs. I think they should put u under DNF. 

I think they are not strict on medal and shirt since u know how much u pay for this race.. all this already included in yr race package.

but I am surprised that I am from pen G and can overtake some of those pen DEF runner which start earlier and I am also quite slow.

i thought Pen DEF runner are better runner than G runner? Even de prove also can’t be that lousy right.

also this is the 1st year I ran on F1 pit building. Usually I start from Orchard. 

Plus they are the 1st race which play national anthem before start which I run quite regularly, then some runner bo hew just walk while playing.. I thought suppose to stand still.. I dunno if I am right. 

Plus this year got mamee and biscuits near the start of Golf course, slightly better..but I find it weather quite hot make me don’t feel like running,  maybe can suggest ice cream or something cold instead... last year didn’t see it. 

But this year the isotonic and drinks are ample and cold.. really a plus point...maybe I don’t like to go up the Sheares bridge..which they didn’t remove it since the route was change.. 

If you are running at the back, u will saw 70years old running i think 219 marathon in 76 countries if remember correctly.. that’s really amazing at that age... doing marathon 

Edited by 77james