lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

49 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

FM or HM?

use Brasso! It works on my 10km medal... i scrutinised my HM this morning. Hahaha 

congrats on your back-to-back 10km and 21km..and so Brasso works, and Coca Cola, didn't lol :)

I have participated in the 42km category for the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2018 this morning.

Join me in my recap for this morning race.

Yes this time I must say Ironman got it right. 90 marks. Drinks were well stocked. Route was refreshing. Can’t do anything about the weather. The post race fare was a bit far.

10 more marks for this; why was most late? because there was no instructions for taxis or ph cars to come in? Almost all directions from the city was locked down. 

They suggested buses. Even they got stuck. Problem was the only way in was from Rochor to Suntec IN THE DIRECTION from Changi to Bugis. That’s it. One way. No Central Boulevard. No Ford road. Those heading from the west have to go all the way to Tj Katong and turn back up to Rochor. Better instructions next time.

well done!!!!

Everything a massive improvement. They really bucked up this time. Even the volunteers were so enthusiastic.  Kudos to them all.  Well done! 

But I don’t really like the west coast highway. Maybe it’s just me. 

I don’t mind the long walk after the finish as it helps to cool down. But the weather was so hot that it was quite unbearable. I wonder what might happen if there is heavy rain. There isn’t enough space for everyone to hide at f1 pit. Where are all those sitting on the tarmac going to find shelter? 

read everyone comments, mostly good experience because this scsm by Ironman Asia has the followings:

a) organisation of its crew to be professional like some of the world-class marathons - efficiency in service

b) rules are rules, cut-off point means...and enforcement of rules means fair and square to all participants...abutthen...what happens to those who just want to "walk" and "tour" the local scenic view while participating like in the past marathon editions....today definitely there is no "marathon visits, touring and walk walk only", for if you want to have a Gold Medal Race event, it must be a professional run, not just amateur "sightseeing" event...marathon race is not a fun tour, it is really a world-class race...

c) uncle took the last wave, arriving late so that to see and observe from the back for those who are in the 6-7-8 hour category...of course, uncle was nearly penalised for cut off simply uncle wants to talk to those on the ground, and of course, concern with those that had leg injury, encouraging and motiviting them...so, uncle got no choice but to hasten the pace...seeing first-hand all those that have tried the hardest and best, and the feeling is that, the participants tried their very best, abutthen, got to be cut-off, and the look of their faces were "why me?"...so they must train harder for the next marathon..the truth today really matters - only when you train hard, then you will not be "Cut-off"

d) there were some whom uncle spoken along the way, and when someone in front shouted at uncle - and that was at the ECP U-turn point - quick, count-down to last 1 minute...and uncle got to run to chong to meet the cut-off point...and leaving hundreds in my last wave to reach the ECP U-turn and was told, you just made it, bro...by seconds.

e) Of course, all in the last wave can argue, but our gun-time is at 5:30am, and now it is not even 5 hours after the time, why we must quit now?

f) One thing to be observed, there was no countdown display especially at the strategic place, it was mere shouting to gain attention about the cut-off time, of course, many would argue they could be "loud header and be warned", there will be an extra effort to run and not walking...yes, last wave are walkers, and so...the casualty rate is expected to be the highest...I would say 70% of last wave are survivors, and another 50% of the survivors made it to the end-point...at the 17km, when the separation of the 21km and 42km...the 21kmers look at the pathetic 42kmers...another HM more to go, and so sorry to see the 42kmer continue and face head to the sun of the hot morning sun...so there was a question, should all "cut-off" FMers receive HM medals? 

g) sadly, the last wave is also was at construction site at Garden By the Bay east near to the Cruise Centre with have no banana, and also gel..almost all are gone...the survivors really run out of nutrition, but plenty of hydration...of course, next time, they will be self-sufficient to bring their own "nutrition and hydration" belt...

h) it is like closing time for the last wave...every cut off means - time to pack up and bye bye...

i) uncle really had to chong, simply because, after the observation and also to say goodbye to so many who had injury (because got to go medical aid station) or leg limping withcramp...these were unprepared marathoners who just want to try if they can qualify...

j) they prompted uncle to run and meet the cut-off points, and that is what uncle did...meeting all the cut-off at all checkpoints, and sadly to see more that were limping along, and to see tens to hundreds to be sent by coaches to the end-point...they would have survived if at 7.5 or even 8 hour..

k) being in the last wave also means, the sun rises in the east at 7am when uncle u-turn at the West Coast...sunbathing at its fullest...last wave runners were literally baked...poor them...

l) then in future, last wave marathoners, will there be known as cut-off point wave...yes, because, this group is totally survivors...and hundreds will be really "sorry, for the course is closed", and of course, the rejection in their faces are really "Should I take part in Marathon" next year as last wave or Category G - the only way is that, they must be prepared and trained for it...

m) lastly, logistics, Ironman Asia has used their experiences in running not only Ironman Triathlon, and also sending some of their professional staff to coach and supervise the local crew...and uncle being in triathlon as a participant, as well as an official, and working with Event Organisers in both marathon and triathlon as officials have seen them in action, sometimes collaborating and enforcing event rules ...the level of professionalism that all can be seen today - world-class...with rules that are complied to IAAF sanctioned...yes, SCSM needs to be world-class, not amateur and "cheating" by taking short cuts which was evidence in past marathon editions..

o) the improved and better and best, the good as well as the bad, there is always room for improvement on the Singapore Marathon scenes..perhaps if Sundown Marathon is going to be like "SCSM" to be IAAF sanctioned race ...Sundown Marathon must take up this competitive level field...yes, amateurs and pros...separate them with really cut-off time..and enforce it...

p) fully agreed, this scms is totally professional and world-class from the start to the ending...kudo, Ironman Asia - Everything Is Possible - for scsm is truly world-class...

q) Kudos also those who had tried their hardest in the last wave, and was cut-off...there will be another marathon race next time, train hard for it... Nothing is Impossible.

Edited by kohpapa

It will be better if they can highlight e cut off time few kms ahead - so runners can bia for it. Lucky for me, i wrote it on my arm to remind myself.

But i am surprised they will sweep them away (cos i thought it is based on individual flag off time). 

56 minutes ago, william_min said:

Breaking: Lim Baoying & Rachel See finishing 1st & 2nd respectively  :thumbsup:

Yah..  happy for Dr Lim... she had come a long way...

for those who can do the Anthing is Possible...double up

2r3wmdv.jpg

38 minutes ago, Pearlina said:

It will be better if they can highlight e cut off time few kms ahead - so runners can bia for it. Lucky for me, i wrote it on my arm to remind myself.

But i am surprised they will sweep them away (cos i thought it is based on individual flag off time). 

no, I had found from one that was in the Wave C - literally should be "cut-off"...abutthen...compared to someone from Wave G...which one should be "Cut-off"?...the one from Wave C or the one from Wave G...anyway...both Wave Runners also kena cut off..i.e. unless, they can scan the bib's bar code, and decide on a fair decision...but the route is officially closed, because the cisco security bikes came to take over the  cut-off survival wave...of course, the next cut-off shall soon face those that survive...and that is when uncle realized...better run fast fast...make up for lost time...and simply all those that uncle had became buddies..now cheered uncle to go on...for they were soon forgotten, to be swept off in coaches...to end point

Edited by kohpapa

3 hours ago, stalky79 said:

use Brasso! It works on my 10km medal

I thought that you are using Coke....... ??

2 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Everything a massive improvement. They really bucked up this time. Even the volunteers were so enthusiastic.  Kudos to them all.  Well done! 

But I don’t really like the west coast highway. Maybe it’s just me. 

I don’t mind the long walk after the finish as it helps to cool down. But the weather was so hot that it was quite unbearable. I wonder what might happen if there is heavy rain. There isn’t enough space for everyone to hide at f1 pit. Where are all those sitting on the tarmac going to find shelter? 

Enthusiastic volunteers - you are right !

I like West Coast Highway for a change ! And I looked out for cable cars, none in sight. 

I don't mind the long walk too, but also feeling horrified at the same time ' I am further, and further, and further away from the MRT'. 'Coz many times queue for massage then while consuming all the food and drinks, must carry the garbage and move along, this time no need - banana and drink gone and into rubbish bin before reaching massage queue :) 

Muscle rub, wish more stations have them ( or maybe I didn't look hard enough ). 

1 hour ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I distinctly remember seeing a sign that says the cut off time is based on individual start time (i.e. and not the official gun time.)

a 4:45am wav C vs a 5:30am wav G extended...individual start time...who can check...unless you scan the bib and get the latest time...but, this is what I observed from the ground...5:30am wav G protested they started late...why they are cut-of when they still within the time..abuthen...uncle understood - controversial..because the wrong can always defend what is right...

I guess, from the ground, there should be an advanced "alert" for those who are trying their best, and be aware....like a timer to inform all ahead...cut-off time countdown, so that a preserved runner who wants to made the last effort be given a warning...just like for all to finish, a last bell ring to say...hurry up, you have a last 400m to go...go go go! ...a timer or someone to cheer and say out loud ahead like in the last 1 km....come on you have 15 mins before you're cut-off...and from the ground, I saw hundreds just head to the official with the line closed to them, and informed them, "Sorry folks, you have been cut-off.." and they were stunned and wished that they had been informed earlier...?

Edited by kohpapa

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

My medal also have some oxidation stains here and there...... and it's a tad too big I feel....

I also wonder why medal so big, until reached home, then saw the Name and Finish Time boxes behind, then go FB and saw the post about "Engrave your medals at the Merchandise Tent".  

West Coast Highway is never meant for any sightseeing, it is meant for heavy vehicles to transport the goods from port to port..and so, you see HDB has a sound barricade partition wall - from the sound of the heavy traffic

this also involve road closure to the viaduct - and this is only if there is a marathon..or in the past the annual Aviva Singapore 70.3 Ironman...this West Coast Highway was used for the bike leg race from ECP...where the U-turn point is at Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre, just after Haw Par Villa.

I wouldn't be surprised if Asia Ironman may revive the 70.3 Ironman Singapore...looking forward

just a crazy thought, "what if in the next FM, the route starts to go to ECP and then U-turn to West Coast Highway and U-turn end like the HM route to finishing? will you take this one?

2 hours ago, pebbles said:

I also wonder why medal so big, until reached home, then saw the Name and Finish Time boxes behind, then go FB and saw the post about "Engrave your medals at the Merchandise Tent".  

Never mind, at least you saved $$... ?

2 hours ago, pebbles said:

Luckily you miss out 'cos not worth the money. Engrave  wording was faint.

11 hours ago, lonewolf said:

To answer the question of whether the 'no bag' rule was strictly enforced. I dun think so. I saw more than a handful with a shoe bag and other no-transparent bags in the gear bag. I put my sandals in an NTUC bag also OK. But the security really pissed me off. I was forced to get rid of my so-called combustible item. 

Wanna make a guess what the combustible item is?? A damn lighter! :growl:Since when has lighter become unsafe for storage? I do not know who issued the guideline but some common sense should have prevailed. ?

The security have a list of items not allowed in their event. I guess a lighter could be used to light paper and cause a fire.

The security has been tightened up. All volunteers had to have a security clearance pass to enter the event village (last year my group just went to Padang and did their thing) and on both days we were subjected to security checks on baggage.

23 hours ago, kohpapa said:

c u all at the start and end point..:) and BIN it...all your personal trash..otherwise @lady Ice will sweeten you with constant reminders.. why u so likedat

hahaha - I did scold a couple of people. On the highway people threw their crumpled cup or gel packets towards the rain water drain at the side of the road. If it rained, those would slip through the holes and the cleaners would never see it.

One person threw their cup right in front of me into the drain - and told him that is for run off rain water that will enter the river or sea and it is not a bin!

And I had a $%^#$:growl:$%^# gel packet stuck under my sandals along ECP area so I grumbled loudly

However there was more consciousness amongst the runners. Several 3-4 hour runners showed me they were still holding onto their rubbish between check points and saw most 5-7 hour runners putting their rubbish in the bins.

Thank you to everyone who did make that conscious effort and put things in the right bin back at the finishers event village.

We (Green Nudge) collected about 800kg of banana waste from both days which will go to composting. On the first day (5-10K runners) we made a conscious effort to get you to separate your bottles from your cans as the plastic bottles went to a centre to be repurposed for art and play with children.

BTW a Japanese runner told me that in their event they must separate their rubbish at the hydration points itself - such as cups in one bin and banana skins in another.  That would be really awesome as we can use all the banana skins rather than this being burned at the incinerators.

Wasn't happy with Share Transport. I booked for both days as was volunteering for day 1 to get the separation of rubbish going.

However needed to be at the event village by 4am so wanted to cancel my day 1 transport as it left at 5am to be at the event village by 6am. Share refused to allow me to cancel 2 days before the event day saying that I had bought a non-refundable ticket and instead provided me with a paper ticket to give to anyone on my behalf (which made no sense as have email). Does anyone know if it is non-refundable as am unable to find this on their site?

Edited by Lady Ice

15 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Finally the race review is out. I agree that this is the best race ever in SCSM history since i took part in 2008. Took quite a while to write the review without sleep/nap. Enjoy everyone!!

https://wordpress.com/post/autumnrunner.wordpress.com/6332

i disagree with the the toilets being insufficient... after doing bag deposit, you will see another ~20 portaloos to use and there was no queue at all when I used it around 4 am