lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

On 9/6/2018 at 9:06 PM, posfe2 said:

Almost 3 month until the marathon and still no announcement on the official route? I can only hope they may be doing something drastically different this year which takes time for LTA to approve¬†ūüôŹ¬†

Last year the official route was revealed on 31 Aug.

As far as I know, Ironman is aiming to test out next year's route for this year's event; this year will serve as a trial run for moving SCSM to a night event in 2019 - so I am hoping that this means that it will be a fresh route and not 99% similar to the routes that we are used to.

ShareTransport is the shuttle bus provider for SCSM this year.

Details here > https://singaporemarathon.com/getting-to-the-start-line/

There's 3 timing 2am, 3am and 5.15am

You can purchase the shuttle bus ticket on the ShareTransport Apps or on the website >> https://www.sharetransport.sg/Buspools#/app/routes/event-section

Hope ShareTransport has the required resources to bring such a huge number of runners to the race site. 

6 hours ago, prisangel said:

As far as I know, Ironman is aiming to test out next year's route for this year's event; this year will serve as a trial run for moving SCSM to a night event in 2019 - so I am hoping that this means that it will be a fresh route and not 99% similar to the routes that we are used to.

To be fair, last year's route was already quite different and it was a welcomed change.

But whatever the new route would be, expect at least 50% will be similar because of ECP.....

3 hours ago, lonewolf said:

ShareTransport is the shuttle bus provider for SCSM this year.

Details here > https://singaporemarathon.com/getting-to-the-start-line/

There's 3 timing 2am, 3am and 5.15am

You can purchase the shuttle bus ticket on the ShareTransport Apps or on the website >> https://www.sharetransport.sg/Buspools#/app/routes/event-section

Hope ShareTransport has the required resources to bring such a huge number of runners to the race site. 

Ironman still cannot negotiate a good deal with SMRT.....

But if next year become a night run, faster runners can take train home..... hopefully Ironman can come to an agreement with SMRT to extend a few hours...

Good to have new route but pls ensure that those duck tour vehicles are not beside the runners when we run at SG flyers there like last year

2 hours ago, beast said:

To be fair, last year's route was already quite different and it was a welcomed change.

But whatever the new route would be, expect at least 50% will be similar because of ECP.....

I know it's a far fetched idea, but it would be so nice if we could run through some of the heartlands instead of through ECP and have Singaporeans coming out of their homes and lining the streets to cheer us on... Marine Parade/Katong/Eunos those areas are possibly on the way... maybe I've been spoiled after running Berlin and I don't think it will happen anytime soon here. Lol.

Edited by prisangel

12 hours ago, beast said:

Ironman still cannot negotiate a good deal with SMRT.....

But if next year become a night run, faster runners can take train home..... hopefully Ironman can come to an agreement with SMRT to extend a few hours...

It's not just SMRT. It's SBS Transit as well. So unless it's a govt mandated directive, I think we should just forget about ever taking the train to the SCSM in the morning. And with the extended engineering hours being rolled out, it would be impossible to start the MRT ops early.

Extending the train services for a few hours will be easier to implement but we will see what happens. I'm guessing that it won't happen. Because going back home is less time-sensitive than reaching the race site on time. 

10 hours ago, prisangel said:

I know it's a far fetched idea, but it would be so nice if we could run through some of the heartlands instead of through ECP and have Singaporeans coming out of their homes and lining the streets to cheer us on... Marine Parade/Katong/Eunos those areas are possibly on the way... maybe I've been spoiled after running Berlin and I don't think it will happen anytime soon here. Lol.

Singaporeans coming out of their homes and lining the streets to cheer us on

-> Definitely too far fetched a hope. Last year we ran a bit into the heartlands of Chinatown, and already businesses and residents are complaining about the road closures affecting them. Same thing when F1 comes to town every year. I guess we live in a culture where we put our own selves above all things, always competing and fighting, so generally we don't have the heart and compassion for things like being supportive of sports, and it is very hard to change that kind of culture/environment.

• Like 1

Agree that it is a cultural thing. Singaporeans lead busy lives in general and are not conditioned to wait at the side of the road to cheer on complete strangers. In addition, i think additional factors include timing (flag off at 4:30am, who will wake up so early just to cheer?), as well as the heat (starts to get hot from 9am onwards, especially in areas without shade).

In order to have any chance of this, the organizers at the very least need strong government and media support in order to create a campaign of awareness/support for the public to participate.

2 hours ago, warp9wb said:

Agree that it is a cultural thing. Singaporeans lead busy lives in general and are not conditioned to wait at the side of the road to cheer on complete strangers. In addition, i think additional factors include timing (flag off at 4:30am, who will wake up so early just to cheer?), as well as the heat (starts to get hot from 9am onwards, especially inÔĽŅ areas without shade).

In order to have any chance of this, the organizers at the very least need strong government and media support in order to create a campaign of awareness/support for the public to participate.

With some oversea working/races experience in different region, i think it is much more toward a climate thingy, local population density and life style habit.

Under a cooler climate, ppl will tend go out for outdoor activities. I agreed with you that based on our local climate unless ppl have strong interest or else most other will prefer to stay indoor with AC. When i in temperate country like england, seasonal weather enable ppl to just sit down at the park even at noon. (who will do this here?? :D) Other than temperature, the high humid con'd also make sweating feel worse.  Expect a crowd of supporters to attend a outdoor event etc under a hot sun... slim chance. (Q' for iphone/lottery consider under strong interest category...:D:D)

Other region where a big race event actually able to boost  economic and liven within that town. Thus local population will tend to be more supportive  (even maybe 5% of the local pop attended as supporters, it can become a huge crowd) as it is out of norm in their town . Buz owner will try to make their buz relevant to the race/event in order to attract more customers. Sg is too small to even consider the race venue as a separate town and gain the above conditions.

Lastly life style, physical activities such as running, yoga etc is growing its popularity. But our national favorite pass time is still eating. Ppl spent a big amt of time/effort and money to travel/queue for food. Other than feasting, activities (regardless physical or cultural ) won't able to spark up to the majority.

With or without local authority support, my opinion is that it won't able to spurt much from public regarding to these.

Edited by delldell314

3 hours ago, lonewolf said:

It's not just SMRT. It's SBS Transit as well. So unless it's a govt mandated directive, I think we should just forget about ever taking the train to the SCSM in the morning. And with the extended engineering hours being rolled out, it would be impossible to start the MRT ops early.

Extending the train services for a few hours will be easier to implement but we will see what happens. I'm guessing that it won't happen. Because going back home is less time-sensitive than reaching the race site on time. 

Based from one of my pals who working in SMRT, after all the train "incidents" which happen frequently nowadays. SMRT management will be abit more reluctant to undertake such tasks. You are right on the first factor on the less maintenance hours. The more crucial factor is on the publicity. Imagine news headline a major running event with xxxxx runners can't make it on time to the starting line due to train breakdown... It will be another disastrous headline for them to handle..

Saw the route at JRL. For FM it will go from F1 pit to Nicoll Higway then Padang, CBD and u turn at alexandra. Came back to CBD and Normal routes garden by the Bay and ECP u turn back to Garden by the Bay and climb up Benjamin sheares and to floating platform. 

I have to say it is not the typical routing. 

18 hours ago, prisangel said:

I don't think the current Singaporean are much into huge events disrupting their mornings traffics flw. Sure got complains why they close the roads in all estates.

I heard the 1st few marathon was like that. Singaporeans were kore supportive then.

New route looks interesting at first glance. Instead of looping at ECP we now loop at Keppel road area, and back to ECP for a smaller loop. So we are still running loops, but at least it is something fresh.

We will be running 19km with the HM runners so expect the routes to be crammed with both categories of runners. 

Also a bit skeptical about the road closure  - will only one side or both side of roads be closed? 

Overall I would think that last year's route seems more scenic and less potential for issues,  but excited to run this route since it is something that we have never ran before.

21 hours ago, prisangel said:

There might be more supporters (as well as complainers) when the event is held in the late afternoon/evening next year

Edited by Lady Ice

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but it looks like full marathon runners will no longer be merged with half marathon runners until the last 400 m or so.

I like it!... Except for the fact that Sheares bridge is still included at 39 km. I guess that's what makes this race challenging. 

Edited by posfe2

From Straits Times article titled "Runners to get improved experience at SCSM 2018"  (source: http://str.sg/oeCD )

The 2018 edition of the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) will see several new features which will improve runners' comfort and race experience, race organisers Ironman Asia announced yesterday.

These include an improved bag deposit system, wider starting areas and more hydration and cooling zones.

"All successful sporting events put their participants first, while delivering on world-class standards," said Ironman Asia managing director Geoff Meyer.

For the first time in the event's history, the 5km, 10km, 21km and 42km runs will have the same starting and finishing points, at the Pit Building and The Float at Marina Bay respectively.

The flag-off area under the Singapore Flyer will offer runners easier pen access and the opportunity for them to set their own pace from the beginning.

There will be full road closures for 95 per cent of the route, which brings half-and full-marathon runners past landmarks such as the Padang and the Marina Bay Golf Course, although routes to emergency services such as hospitals will remain accessible throughout.

Organisers have also adopted best practices from World Marathon Major races and increased the number of bag deposit zones. Participants will be given clear bags and stickers when they collect their race packs.

More information on bag deposits will be announced later.

Up to 15 hydration and cooling zones will be set up along the 21km and 42km routes, which will feature new splash and ice-chips stations.

Also, organisers will place 26 entertainment points - with performances from local bands, street performers and cheerleaders - to drum up the race atmosphere.

The Kids Dash will be flagged off at the Universal Studios Singapore in Resorts World Sentosa on Dec 8, and participants can select a package which includes registration for the Kids Dash, admission to the theme park, and dining and shopping vouchers.

Sport Singapore chief executive officer Lim Teck Yin said: "The SCSM is not just a running spectacle but also an event for people to come together to enjoy their active lifestyle and celebrate the festive season in a fun and healthy way.

"SCSM continues to strive to create memorable and happy moments for everyone."

‚ÄĘ Registration starts from $35.

Go to singaporemarathon.com for more information.

Run westward and then eastwards.then need climb up sheares bridge. 

Need alot of training at back n forth routes and hills.

On ‚Äé6‚Äé/‚Äé10‚Äé/‚Äé2018 at 8:54 AM, yh90 said:

Run westward and then eastwards.then need climb up sheares bridge. 

Need alot of training at back n forth routes and hills.

Just curious how does one train at back n forth routes? Do you mean run in loops like at Bedok Reservoir?

Edited by beast

20 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Run to a point and u turn? Repeat few times?

Yup so essentially running small loops. But unsure how it is a more effective training to prep for the run. 

Waiting for yh to guide further.

Edited by beast

On ‚Äé10‚Äé/‚Äé7‚Äé/‚Äé2018 at 11:35 AM, beast said:

Just curious how does one train at back n forth routes? Do you mean run in loops like at Bedok Reservoir?

Can also. or e.g. run Start from ecp area A to G , then run back to area A