lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

Ironman medals typically are huge...and uncle when collecting banana at collection point, "Uncle, congrats IRONMAN" (a mistake, should be Singapore Marathoner).. apparently, the volunteers are drilled in how to greet "Ironman" in other Asia Ironman events...ok, lah, uncle looked ironman, speak ironman, also ironman.. 🙃

2l9qkco.jpg

if this is first time you receive "Ironman" type of medal..then expect more to come for holy-cow-why-so-***!

but stains and crappy and chunky had been voiced out in this thread...remember to use brasso and uncle yet to use coca-cola to clean the stains....abutthen..it is a customary for every triathletes to be "put on their necks" a finisher medal @ finishing point....something you will not see in local race...not organiser put medal in plastic sheet and nah, take and leave..next please...

that is why, we must know what is international greeting for finishers...you cheer for them (you must have heard them at the finishing zone) and congratulates them and reward them instantly... then participants proceed to collect finishing tee and goodies...so this time, why must walk another 300m to collect finishing point goodies...because everyone is proud with the medals on their chests...and friends and families will take pictures together...proudly...for ironman event (now this is scsm event) is a hallmark of Excellence in Sports...

that is the reason, why when Ironman Asia takes this year to show, what is Ironman-type of racing is all about in scsm race, you can feel the challenge in the race-route, the logistics and world-class team of supervisors, drilling on the local volunteers - you must also learn and to be world-class hosts/ambassadors...

Edited by kohpapa

Well cut off time is announced earlier and anyone can calculate that it is not based on 5.30AM + 7 hours. If organizer made a leeway on the spot during the race that wouldn't be right. The 7 hours i guess will be in play if you are started for example at 5.00 and you didnt cross finish line by 12.00 you would still dnf even if you don't get any course cut-off timing. The only thing is that they dont check your registration timing, so next time any sane person would choose earlier pen or put artificial timing to secure early pen. 

sane or not sane, is if that is the reason for road closure and reopening, then it matters...because some of the reasons given were...roads need to be swept and opened by time...so, need to cut off...12noon to be reopened by 12:30...

by the way, just got result:

24vl2z7.jpg

uncle was seconds from DNF at 25km...abutthen..3 hours to go...if based on individual time or event wave time? 🙄

I guessed uncle is speaking out for those in the pen G, because that was what was on the ground, of course, for Ironman Asia, being not familiar with the local regulation on the roads closure and opening, may take this matter into consideration..

as uncle has said, improvement can be achieved step-wise, with communication and perhaps, open consensus and discussion, perhaps, relook at the last wave...it is known as the cut-off wave..and the cut-off time is always chasing behind this wave like a DNF knife...

imagine if this is boston marathon cut-off point...this DNF knife is always just behind you...run fastest...otherwise, you will be DNF right in front of you...

Edited by kohpapa

Yesterday was my first ever FM, which I attempted with only a single long run (above 22km) and 1 gel. Paid the price after 27km once the sun started to say hello and my legs didn't feel like cooperating, so I walked off the course and went home. That my mom stays near ECP probably influenced my decision too hahaha

image.png.be9f8fff862a18b5087f5ae41bb56202.png

Pity that my 5km splits were quite consistent up till this point. I normally participate in smaller 10km/HM races, which I start near the front, so yesterday's experience of starting in Pen E - with the sheer numbers ahead of me - was quite overwhelming. The zig-zagging between human traffic really takes it toll...  

On Sun Dec 09 2018 at 1:14 PM, lonewolf said:

But the security really pissed me off. I was forced to get rid of my so-called combustible item. 

Wanna make a guess what the combustible item is?? A damn lighter! :growl:Since when has lighter become unsafe for storage? I do not know who issued the guideline but some common sense should have prevailed. Actually, in retrospect, I should have just kept the lighter in my pouch but at that moment, I was stunned like a 🥦and just followed their instruction to throw it away. 

The lighter contains butane in pressurized tube. All it needs is a tiny spark or unpredictable hot temperature to cause the small little innocent looking lighter to explode. Go search for Bic lighter explosion and you get the meaning. 

The security is following the WSQ safety measures lah. He/She didn't explain to you properly.. 

Just forgive with a BIG heart and be happy with your achievement. 

** ChaoKeng Queen reporting back** :)

44 minutes ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Yesterday was my first ever FM, which I attempted with only a single long run (above 22km) and 1 gel. Paid the price after 27km once the sun started to say hello and my legs didn't feel like cooperating, so I walked off the course and went home. That my mom stays near ECP probably influenced my decision too hahaha

image.png.be9f8fff862a18b5087f5ae41bb56202.png

Pity that my 5km splits were quite consistent up till this point. I normally participate in smaller 10km/HM races, which I start near the front, so yesterday's experience of starting in Pen E - with the sheer numbers ahead of me - was quite overwhelming. The zig-zagging between human traffic really takes it toll...  

Your timings were pretty good and you gave up? Such a pity. It was my first FM. Endured the pain and finished it. 

Don't give up next time!

Edited by Sgmarkko

Having lots of fun with my shifu mentor kohpapa during sundown thread which spans to hundred over pages like storybook. Haha... 

Lost my password for original account. Pai Seh.

Oh, I will be back for sundown 2019 by Infinitus Productions. :)

7 hours ago, kohpapa said:

uncle being in the last wave, is to observe on the ground on the runners' aspirations of those who are preserved and determined to complete a first marathon or even 2nd or 3rd tries when cut-off in previous marathons...sharing with uncle...how they tried and yet will want to do again next year...the human endeavour to do their hardest best in spite of pain and injury..

kohpapa, how did u manage to get runners talk to you? i was talking to myself during e run (ie: 'walao no shade' , 'so hottt') but managed to chit-chat with 2 runners who smiled back at me. 

back to e cut-off point, i remembered posting in fb abt it. SCM replied e 7hrs cut off is based on individual flag off time. Lucky i was 5 mins away from cut off time. I am nt a fast runner lo.

really...uncle got a charismatic personality....everyone sees me...always want to talk to me...

easy lah...ask them...how r u?....why they join? of course, got cut-off or not...

and when they knew uncle got to meet the cut-off time, they said, don't worry about me....go and chong...and tell everyone their story...lah...

actually the whole matter of the COT (Cut-off time) is very easy to explain:

uncle pays $70+ with SC card to run 7 hours long...

but, why I was told almost on my 4th hour that I nearly DNF at ECP U-turn at 25km?

if you can go ending point to collect your medal, because, the route has to be closed because there is a cut-off point 7 hour, where got?

so my question is why should I (like the rest of Pen G)..I have done 4 hours, and I have yet done 7 hours, and because you want to close the route because, you need to close the route, but, then how can I satisfy my unpaid 3 hours you owe me, that I say, I am entitled to 7 hours...and uncle proved that..there is still 3 more hours to go, and like a customer, completed within 7 hours...fair and rightfully if for Pen G if they are not "cut-off" at 25km, and if the time then at 25km is 930am - 10am, does it mean at the finishing point did the clock stop at 10am?,,,and all runners stopped because 7-hour cut-off time was enforced..

and that is uncle became wise...this is not 7 hour race, this is a 7 hour cut-off for those in last wave, you cut those that go to 25km at their 4th hour, and say, you cannot complete the other 3 hour because, the course is closed...and that is not cut-off, that is being owed 3 hours unpaid for incompletion of the FM race...

you understand why the Pen G's kpkb and why they kena "cut-off"..

cut-off, because the course route needs to be closed, for reason - road opening for traffic, and nothing that says, the FM route is still available for 3 hours till 12-12:30am, how can that be cut-off?

As uncle has said, it could be more on the regulation on road closure and opening...if this marathon race course is a 7-hour cut off...the route must remain available always for 7-hour...and not because of local regulation administrative hiccup..

and I have said, this is not an oversight on the Asia Ironman, but perhaps, with this little situation, in future, take note on the COT, the route must not be closed because a 7-hour race is in progress... because a customer paid for up to 7-hour, and not cut-off or short-changed by the decision to close the route because of its implementation :)

and like so many have shared...don't join the last wave....you will be cut before you even begin...scary...

Edited by kohpapa
ok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gusluk said:

Apparently i am wrong. Lots of runner finish beyond 7 hours nett time, oh well next time just get earlier pen

provided they are not stopped at ECP at 10-10:30am....these runners are not the last wave....thank goodness...if they were in the earlier waves...they completed, even beyond the 7 hour cut-off, because they are allowed to continue the route...

Edited by kohpapa

2 hours ago, Sgmarkko said:

Your timings were pretty good and you gave up? Such a pity. It was my first FM. Endured the pain and finished it. 

Don't give up next time!

just let you know, uncle completed the FM to prove to all as explained, and congrats on your first FM, uncle is proud of you as a newbie...good job.

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, ChaoKeng-Queen2 said:

Having lots of fun with my shifu mentor kohpapa during sundown thread which spans to hundred over pages like storybook. Haha... 

Lost my password for original account. Pai Seh.

Oh, I will be back for sundown 2019 by Infinitus Productions. :)

welcome, uncle came here to talk rubbish, as usual, you are missed....run lah...ultramarathon see if infinitus productions got guts to do ultramarathon....u and i got fun in 100km one...sibei tokong then...every 2 km got signage on ground and lamp posts...miss the good time then

West Coast Highway was fun, reminiscent of those SCMS HM from sentosa era. The sunrise was beautiful and eerie at the same time cause it meant the scorching weather is coming. Noticed quite a few non SCSM runner using the opportunity to run at West Coast Highway, I will probably do the same too.  

Marina Bay and Garden by the bay on other was brutal.... 

This year SCSM is quite interesting experience for me, one of my personally feel worst performance (started walk and jog right after the water point next to golf course 22-23km? and then completely walked ever since 35km) and yet the best one so far in terms of organisation and volunteers & staff. Some of the volunteers were more excited to be there than the runners. 

Still feels the Padang finish line in front of national gallery was better but at least you could sit down at the race village and not worrying about the mud.  

On 12/9/2018 at 5:21 PM, AutumnRunner said:

Finally the race review is out. I agree that this is the best race ever in SCSM history since i took part in 2008. Took quite a while to write the review without sleep/nap. Enjoy everyone!!

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2018/12/09/race-review-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2018/

Aiyah.... now this is the right link... still recovering from the race yest... must be too tired...haaa...enjoy the memories of scsm 2018.

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2018/12/09/race-review-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2018/

3 hours ago, kohpapa said:

...ultramarathon see if infinitus productions got guts to do ultramarathon....u and i got fun in 100km one...sibei tokong then...every 2 km got signage on ground and lamp posts...miss the good time then

Definitely! Missed those ultramarathon days...

On 12/9/2018 at 9:50 PM, kohpapa said:

just a crazy thought, "what if in the next FM, the route starts to go to ECP and then U-turn to West Coast Highway and U-turn end like the HM route to finishing? will you take this one?

Haaa.... this is difficult to decide...

20 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

The security have a list of items not allowed in their event. I guess a lighter could be used to light paper and cause a fire.

The security has been tightened up. All volunteers had to have a security clearance pass to enter the event village (last year my group just went to Padang and did their thing) and on both days we were subjected to security checks on baggage.

hahaha - I did scold a couple of people. On the highway people threw their crumpled cup or gel packets towards the rain water drain at the side of the road. If it rained, those would slip through the holes and the cleaners would never see it.

One person threw their cup right in front of me into the drain - and told him that is for run off rain water that will enter the river or sea and it is not a bin!

And I had a $%^#$:growl:$%^# gel packet stuck under my sandals along ECP area so I grumbled loudly

However there was more consciousness amongst the runners. Several 3-4 hour runners showed me they were still holding onto their rubbish between check points and saw most 5-7 hour runners putting their rubbish in the bins.

Thank you to everyone who did make that conscious effort and put things in the right bin back at the finishers event village.

We (Green Nudge) collected about 800kg of banana waste from both days which will go to composting. On the first day (5-10K runners) we made a conscious effort to get you to separate your bottles from your cans as the plastic bottles went to a centre to be repurposed for art and play with children.

BTW a Japanese runner told me that in their event they must separate their rubbish at the hydration points itself - such as cups in one bin and banana skins in another.  That would be really awesome as we can use all the banana skins rather than this being burned at the incinerators.

I held on my gel pack along the west coast highway too till I return to the city... my fingers got a bit sticky due to the gel...

12 hours ago, kohpapa said:

@medic  I agree with you, the portaloos are sufficient and they have the signboards well placed to along the FM route to indicate direction toilets away from the hydration poinst...example one that is the construction site where close to the Cruise Centre at Garden by the Bay (East), the portaloos of about 10-20 were ready..even at ECP too....even though all know there are toilet and wash points...

perhaps @AutumnRunner,  being in the heat of completing want to complete another PB, and yet having to the need to observe many things so that he could contribute to his blog which he may have missed..."toilets being insufficient"

uncle being in the last wave, is to observe on the ground on the runners' aspirations of those who are preserved and determined to complete a first marathon or even 2nd or 3rd tries when cut-off in previous marathons...sharing with uncle...how they tried and yet will want to do again next year...the human endeavour to do their hardest best in spite of pain and injury..

kudo to @AutumnRunner who said already without rest and sleep even to complete his blog...still wanted to say this is the best SCSM and I agreed with him, so are many who have commented here...

Happy to hear that people are really respecting the marathon and hope they will persevere and complete the distance or go for better time next year...

Thanks @kohpapa for the kind words...

14 hours ago, medic said:

i disagree with the the toilets being insufficient... after doing bag deposit, you will see another ~20 portaloos to use and there was no queue at all when I used it around 4 am

Nice... that's good to hear... cause i dun rem seeing any toilets after bag deposit within the pens area.... 

5 hours ago, kohpapa said:

actually the whole matter of the COT (Cut-off time) is very easy to explain:

uncle pays $70+ with SC card to run 7 hours long...

but, why I was told almost on my 4th hour that I nearly DNF at ECP U-turn at 25km?

if you can go ending point to collect your medal, because, the route has to be closed because there is a cut-off point 7 hour, where got?

so my question is why should I (like the rest of Pen G)..I have done 4 hours, and I have yet done 7 hours, and because you want to close the route because, you need to close the route, but, then how can I satisfy my unpaid 3 hours you owe me, that I say, I am entitled to 7 hours...and uncle proved that..there is still 3 more hours to go, and like a customer, completed within 7 hours...fair and rightfully if for Pen G if they are not "cut-off" at 25km, and if the time then at 25km is 930am - 10am, does it mean at the finishing point did the clock stop at 10am?,,,and all runners stopped because 7-hour cut-off time was enforced..

and that is uncle became wise...this is not 7 hour race, this is a 7 hour cut-off for those in last wave, you cut those that go to 25km at their 4th hour, and say, you cannot complete the other 3 hour because, the course is closed...and that is not cut-off, that is being owed 3 hours unpaid for incompletion of the FM race...

you understand why the Pen G's kpkb and why they kena "cut-off"..

cut-off, because the course route needs to be closed, for reason - road opening for traffic, and nothing that says, the FM route is still available for 3 hours till 12-12:30am, how can that be cut-off?

As uncle has said, it could be more on the regulation on road closure and opening...if this marathon race course is a 7-hour cut off...the route must remain available always for 7-hour...and not because of local regulation administrative hiccup..

and I have said, this is not an oversight on the Asia Ironman, but perhaps, with this little situation, in future, take note on the COT, the route must not be closed because a 7-hour race is in progress... because a customer paid for up to 7-hour, and not cut-off or short-changed by the decision to close the route because of its implementation :)

and like so many have shared...don't join the last wave....you will be cut before you even begin...scary...

Maybe I next time start at last wave to see for myself how it is like.