lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018 - 8th - 9th December 2018

https://ibb.co/4fTn5g7

2 weeks of running for me. thats all for 2018. Time to rest.

Did the HM this morning with some heavy legs after yesterday 10km

Weather was humid... perspiring a lot and need to drink at every hydration station 

toilets along the route - good

keppel road abit squeezey but still ok

collected the double up challenge medal as well

garmin watch showing 22.3km

Edited by stalky79

- Mission accomplished. Thank you very much to everyone for your encouragement.

- I was a bit late for Pen C, so I was pushed into Pen E and started at 5:02AM.

- Didn't encounter too much sunburn until the last 1KM. 

- At 18KM, the branching of HM and FM, I saw some FM aunties start walking under the Sun, really awesome but scary... At that moment, I told myself that I would NEVER try FM... 

- Definitely today's weather is humid. I saw several African professional runners gave up in the middle way from 8KM to 16KM. Of course I didn't make achieve PB today, but still happy, because safely completed two races which also are my last two races of 2018. 

- The double up challenge medal collected at Info booth.

- All the best to the runners who are still running. And...

- Congratulations to all the participants! 👍👍👍

Weather damn hot. Slowed to a jog nearing sheares bridge. Crossed the finishing line 3'49

(Local pb)

Yep.  It was hot and too hot for me.  Lack of training due to illness and unable to sleep last night took its toil.  Next time, I am going to take melatonin.   And I have a bad tolerance for heat.  Did walk run after 30km.

I do like to run on the bridge.  With the elevation, it was more breezy.

Edited by Madmax

51 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Weather damn hot. Slowed to a jog nearing sheares bridge. Crossed the finishing line 3'49

(Local pb)

congrats Yiheng... your hard work paid off....

44 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Yep.  It was hot and too hot for me.  Lack of training due to illness and unable to sleep last night took its toil.  Next time, I am going to take melatonin.   And I have a bad tolerance for heat.  Did walk run after 30km.

I do like to run on the bridge.  With the elevation, it was more breezy.

Magnesium helps to relax too.

To answer the question of whether the 'no bag' rule was strictly enforced. I dun think so. I saw more than a handful with a shoe bag and other no-transparent bags in the gear bag. I put my sandals in an NTUC bag also OK. But the security really pissed me off. I was forced to get rid of my so-called combustible item. 

Wanna make a guess what the combustible item is?? A damn lighter! :growl:Since when has lighter become unsafe for storage? I do not know who issued the guideline but some common sense should have prevailed. Actually, in retrospect, I should have just kept the lighter in my pouch but at that moment, I was stunned like a 🥦and just followed their instruction to throw it away. 

One recurring issue: water ran out at 11.6km marker! How the hell can that happen? To IM credit, I think they did make an effort to replenish cos after we u-turn on the other side of the West Coast highway, that water point has water again and the volunteers were serving runners through the railing (on the other side) so really kudos to the volunteers for going the extra mile! :goodjob:

Regardless of the recovery, this should not happen. Especially when I saw that there were boxes of unused and unopened water at the 9.2km water point as I ran pass on the other side. 

One more thing that they need to rethink is the route to allow runners who finished to make their way across Republic Blvd. The only option this morning was a big detour using the overhead bridge to the Singapore Flyer car park. 

Other than the above, I have to say that overall this edition of SCSM is definitely the best and most organised race since I joined in 2013. I only ran the HM so cannot comment on other issues that the FMers may face.

And for those who are wondering if IM enforced the cut off time, I can answer a resounding yes! Lai Lai! GPGT.

This was at the 19.1km mark for the 0835 hrs cut off for the FM.

IMG_0631.thumb.JPG.4ed123dfdba639d2b0b47c8b16caf02c.JPG

The FMers who failed to meet the cut-off time had their bib marked. 

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.3abd32eaf8e48b89d35da87a42d94974.JPG

The FM route was blocked off for those who did not meet the cut off time. I overheard the staff saying that they would get the HM medal. Not sure if it was true or not. 

I wish the medal can be of better quality. It certainly not up to the standard of previous years when ELM medals were issued and certainly not befitting of such an event. 

Another SCSM done and dusted. This year racing done and dusted. Looking forward to next year racing. :crazysmile:

Edited by lonewolf

From what I observed, this year baggage checkin has no delay.  I didn't use them all the time, sincemy first exeprience was rather bad. If they adopt this effciency for futre race, I may bring my bags again for check in.

Kudos to the organizer.  The water points were long and was well stocked.  The volunteers did a very good job.  The new route was refreshing.  The viaduct was wide and could fit both FM and HM runners easily.

My only issue is crowd control which they need to improve on  and surprised why runners upon finishing need to walk nearly a km from floating platform to f1 pit building.. 

29 minutes ago, Konnichiwa said:

Sorry you shouldn’t be pissed off with the security since they are doing their job. Just buy another lighter. 

I wasn't pissed off at them for doing their job. And I really dun care about the lighter. All I am asking for is some common sense when they carry out their duties. I do not think that is unfair. A lighter is not and never was a 'combustible item'. It does not spontaneously burst into flame unless subjected to an external heat source. Surely that is not the condition at the bag deposit area.

And you should note that I compiled with the security staff instruction fully and get rid of the lighter before checking in my bag. -_-

25 minutes ago, yh90 said:

My only issue is crowd control which they need to improve on  and surprised why runners upon finishing need to walk nearly a km from floating platform to f1 pit building.. 

I think it was meant to force you to "cool down"..hah. It was an opportunity for me to stretch my legs.

I did alright, got a local PB despite cramping very hard towards the end. I am not too sure why, because I had 4 gel, 4 salt tablets, and ample hydration. 

Temperature was rather cool today, but the trade off is humidity. Before I head out, it was like 99% across the race route. I saw at least 6 elites (plus 1 wheelchair athlete) dropping out of the race. One of them dropped out at the 12 km mark! I guess they are not used to the humid weather here. I really like the Westcoast Highway portion of the race. The cool breezy was nice.

This edition of SCSM is the best organized race yet. They had hydration on both sides and they were at least 10m in length. I saw plenty of toilets along the route and they were visible signs pointing to them. My only complain is the distance marker, they were a bit too small to see, especially in the dark.

Lastly, their app worked fine this year. My wife had no problem tracking me.

I hope the organizer keep up this effort for next year and beyond.

Edited by posfe2

1 hour ago, posfe2 said:

I think it was meant to force you to "cool down"..hah. It was an opportunity for me to stretch my legs.

I did alright, got a local PB despite cramping very hard towards the end. I am not too sure why, because I had 4 gel, 4 salt tablets, and ample hydration. 

Temperature was rather cool today, but the trade off is humidity. Before I head out, it was like 99% across the race route. I saw at least 6 elites (plus 1 wheelchair athlete) dropping out of the race. One of them dropped out at the 12 km mark! I guess they are not used to the humid weather here. I really like the Westcoast Highway portion of the race. The cool breezy was nice.

This edition of SCSM is the best organized race yet. They had hydration on both sides and they were at least 10m in length. I saw plenty of toilets along the route and they were visible signs pointing to them. My only complain is the distance marker, they were a bit too small to see, especially in the dark.

Lastly, their app worked fine this year. My wife had no problem tracking me.

I hope the organizer keep up this effort for next year and beyond.

oh ya, the toilet is very much an improvement. I used the toilet 3 times, 2 at villlage and one during the race, all three times, no need to queue. And the lights works..

Am i the only one who feels that there is too much walking required aft e finishing point. I need to make a loop out to e mrt station. I prefer e finishing pt at padang. 

3 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Can i say that this year, the organisation seemed to be the best in the past few SCSM that i took part... what u all guys and gals think?

This edition to me is the best among the many years of Standard Chart marathon, firstly a brand new route, not the usual Orchard road, Orchard road to "showcast" to tourist,....its very boring to run the same thing over and over again, yet price keeps going up, And there are really ample running space for runners to run. Lots of hydration points. I really have no complaints and i can say its the best. Thumbs up..

But then did u guys realize one thing about Singapore weather? The December period climax and weather is getting erratic, Hot, cold, rainy, then hot again and many many people had gotten influenza this period, maybe is high time they shift the standard chart to Nov or OCT period?  The influenza bug cause many people/runners to fall sick and dun talk about PB, even turning up for the race is impossible when one is down with flu.

I'm not sure did u all observe that Dec is the "influenza month" ?

It will be good if there is some toilet near starting line. Because I drink a bit too much water and waited quite Long for the staggered start, quite a number of people queue for the first toilet at republic ave for 10km race.. 

How to feedback to the organiser?

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

My medal also have some oxidation stains here and there...... and it's a tad too big I feel....

FM or HM?

use Brasso! It works on my 10km medal... i scrutinised my HM this morning. Hahaha 

7 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

FM or HM?

use Brasso! It works on my 10km medal... i scrutinised my HM this morning. Hahaha 

FM... dunno if its oxidation or just marks.