Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

ST Run 2018 - 23 Sep (Sun)

Breakfast spread, curry puff, muffin and what look like chocolate pastry.

IMG_20180923_065833_zpsh4pdrrsw.jpg

Started at the back of the first wave just before the cut off of the second wave (lucky) so more breathing space. The free breakfast was one of the motivation to run a little faster.

IMG_20180923_070447_zps0yatlzvd.jpg

The second is to finish before 7am to avoid parking summon. Caught up with the 1’50 pacer before entering the stadium so I'm safe. My first run since turning 50.. a minute slower than last year, not getting any easier by the year.

Edited by Avon

On 9/23/2018 at 9:49 PM, lonewolf said:

The number is slightly down from last year but not by much.

In the last 4 yrs, the numbers of male runners for the 18.45km are as follows:

2015: 5,332
2016: 2,749
2017: 2,950
2018: 2,641

So the numbers have been hovering between the 2,600 - 2,900 figure for the last 3 yrs but quite significantly down from 2015 figurs.

2019: <2,000

considering the up and rising registration cost and bottleneck route.

I think this race will remain popular and well supported despite it higher-than-average race fee.

For one thing,  as we have discussed before, ST is very good at promoting and marketing the race. And hyping it and generating buzz. Other than SCSM and SDM, I think no other races are able to generate the same level of buzz.

ST is also able to attract good quality sponsors for the race like Panasonic and NB etc.

And of cos, my number is only for the male 18.45km. The 10K and 5K continue to be well supported and so I think overall the attendance may not have dropped off that much. Maybe even slightly increase. 

Let's see what happen next year. 

On 9/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, Avon said:

Breakfast spread, curry puff, muffin and what look like chocolate pastry.

IMG_20180923_065833_zpsh4pdrrsw.jpg

Started at the back of the first wave just before the cut off of the second wave (lucky) so more breathing space. The free breakfast was one of the motivation to run a little faster.

IMG_20180923_070447_zps0yatlzvd.jpg

The second is to finish before 7am to avoid parking summon. Caught up with the 1’50 pacer before entering the stadium so I'm safe. My first run since turning 50.. a minute slower than last year, not getting any easier by the year.

I didn't know there was breakfast! I finished around 6:25 am and went directly to the Old Airport Food Centre for a nice bowl of Lor Mee.

1 hour ago, posfe2 said:

I didn't know there was breakfast! I finished around 6:25 am and went directly to the Old Airport Food Centre for a nice bowl of Lor Mee.

have to walk to one of the booths, i think it's the information booth, to collect a voucher for breakfast collection... that's what I heard...

8 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

have to walk to one of the booths, i think it's the information booth, to collect a voucher for breakfast collection... that's what I heard...

Just need to walk over & collect free one of the 3 breakfast selections at the tent near the different route distance entry medal collection. They just did the marking on Bib to indicate food collected.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:49 PM, lonewolf said:

The number is slightly down from last year but not by much.

In the last 4 yrs, the numbers of male runners for the 18.45km are as follows:

2015: 5,332
2016: 2,749
2017: 2,950
2018: 2,641

So the numbers have been hovering between the 2,600 - 2,900 figure for the last 3 yrs but quite significantly down from 2015 figurs.

The numbers may keep dropping unless Straits time spice up something, like introducing a half-marathon category? The 18.45km run..really serve no meaning to many seasoned runners, its neither here or there, not a half marathon or not even recognized Olympic distance. U dun even know how u will fare in a half marathon if u do a 18.45km....its just weird ! Unless u run for the sake of running? Might as well make it 18.88km, more huat numbers...

Or maybe something like add like a Full-marathon category...as in, a Full marathon ending in a sports hub. making runners feel great etc. 

Else the fee keeps going up but the running route remains, dun justify to pay so much for doing the same thing but at a more expensive fee... 

2015 there were quite a number of goodies which makes it value for money. Plus it is the first run that goes into the newly renovated National Stadium not opened to the public yet, so that also attracted a lot of sign ups.

I think the 18.45km makes it unique... there are many other half marathon runs around...

Too much logistics for a full-marathon so not likely...

Agree that this run, like many others, need to find a more unique identity that runners can relate to and sign up for....

Correction. The first ST Run at the Sports Hub was in 2014. It was also the only ST Run that had the HM category.

The 18.45K started in 2015 to commemorate the 170th anniversary of Straits Times. 1845 is the year that ST was founded. 

I agree with you about the 18.45K category. Personally, I dun mind unconventional race distance. I think ST Run will continue with this unique distance for future races. It's exactly the 'unique identity' that set it apart from other races that you guys are talking about.

Ah thanks for the clarification!

5000+ runners is still a relatively strong sign up number. Can't remember what is the reason for such a high number in 2015 then.

OhMyGod  gongxi  all  winners.

18.45KM Men's Competitive Run
Rank Bib No. Name        Finish Time
1 18580 Ben Moreau       01:02:49
2 19260 Foo Gen Lin       01:07:16
3 18089 Gordon Lim       01:07:17

Women's Competitive Run
Rank Bib No. Name        Finish Time
1 22059 Maki Inami       01:11:01
2 21077 Rie Sugaya       01:13:34
3 21192 Mok Ying Rong       01:13:57