lonewolf

SAFRA Singapore Bay Run & Army Half Marathon 2018 - 26 Aug

For the start of the 21km, I felt some parts were too narrow. ¬†And it was also hard to overtake as I was in wave 2. ¬†It got much better for me only after 10km. ¬†End result it was the worst¬†21km for me ūü§£.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Many NS men were walking on the way, shoulder by shoulder... the first 11KM was really crowded. Other than that, I...

1. spent around 3 mins on queuing for toilet on somewhere I couldn't remember. 

2. spent around 3 mins on passing through the bottleneck point appeared at 5-6km at Gardens By the Bay.

3. spent around 3 mins on collecing drink at Marina Barrage.

4. took 2 bananas after collecting medal/finisher tee, as I was really hungry; but one was taken back by volunteers...

Apart from the above, all good. A well organized race.ūüĎć

Edited by ZZIZZ

2 hours ago, Ender said:

One thing I liked for this edition is the signage pointing to public toilets along the way.. Very helpful for me at least, as those portable one are having queues.

I dun think this is new. If I'm not mistaken, they have been doing this for a few years now. Maybe you din notice previous years? 

1 hour ago, Madmax said:

For the start of the 21km, I felt some parts were too narrow. ¬†And it was also hard to overtake as I was in wave 2. ¬†It got much better for me only after 10km. ¬†End result it was the worst¬†21km for me ūü§£.

I can imagine that those who walked in wave 1 definitely will be obstructing u... 

31 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I dun think this is new. If I'm not mistaken, they have been doing this for a few years now. Maybe you din notice previous years? 

Possible. Maybe this year I needed the toilet on the run.  Past year didn't need it, hence never notice.  It really helps to skip the limited portable toilets and go direct to the public toilets. 

Posted (edited)

Bro AR, a few comments on your excellent blog post.

I'm not sure which generation/unit you belong to but your comments about NSFs being 'volunteered' to run at the AHM is not new. The funny thing is, during my NSF, my unit was never 'volunteered' to run or even to man the hydration site and what not. Was I lucky? Or was it a more 'recent' thing. 

There was a security check before the bridge underpass but it was cursory at best. In fact, as I was running I overheard a girl telling her friend that she forget her bib. I turned back to look and indeed she was not wearing any bib. So technically she was a bandit. 

There were waves for this race? Really? But if you were in Wave 1 how did you know? 

The lady MC is Kelly Latimer , a semi-well-known host and TV personality. 

Here's an short article on her joining the  SAFVC >> https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/women-show-patriotic-spirit-signing-saf-volunteer-corps

I don't remember there were bananas at the end point. Probably overlook that. 

The race is only cheap for Army NSF, NSMen and ex-NSMen. It's not exactly cheap for those that do not qualify for the subsidised rates. Makes me wonder why so many women would sign up for this race. Not forgetting the big company like Tiong Seng and even the chaps from the Police. 

Edited by lonewolf

13 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Bro AR, a few comments on your excellent blog post.

I'm not sure which generation/unit you belong to but your comments about NSFs being 'volunteered' to run at the AHM is not new. The funny thing is, during my NSF, my unit was never 'volunteered' to run or even to man the hydration site and what not. Was I lucky? Or was it a more 'recent' thing. 

There was a security check before the bridge underpass but it was cursory at best. In fact, as I was running I overheard a girl telling her friend that she forget her bib. I turned back to look and indeed she was not wearing any bib. So technically she was a bandit. 

There were waves for this race? Really? But if you were in Wave 1 how did you know? 

The lady MC is Kelly Latimer , a semi-well-known host and TV personality. 

Here's an short article on her joining the  SAFVC >> https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/women-show-patriotic-spirit-signing-saf-volunteer-corps

I don't remember there were bananas at the end point. Probably overlook that. 

The race is only cheap for Army NSF, NSMen and ex-NSMen. It's not exactly cheap for those that do not qualify for the subsidised rates. Makes me wonder why so many women would sign up for this race. Not forgetting the big company like Tiong Seng and even the chaps from the Police. 

Thanks @lonewolf.

My unit ran in both years and in one of the year, we were the organising unit so got to helpout with some saikang .. I think u were really lucky... and my unit was giving 1 day off to those who can complete 21.1km below 2h30mins.. those were the days..

There were bananas. I gobbled one as i was real hungry...

This race is what I called the Lover’s Race. It starts with buddy system walking together, then become section, then platoon and mind you it can goes to battalion level! I’ve seen it all. They start together they must finish together. Even if they don’t start together but meet somewhere during the race, they have to finish together. Typical army mahh. And this group of Lovers will hog all over blocking everyone. Running ethics are non-existence in this race.

And because of this Lovers, this race creates another group of people which I called the Crabs. They run left right left right trying to squeeze past this Lovers. It‚Äôs a sight to behold actually if you‚Äôre 1.8m and above like me to witness this magnificent event right in front of your eyesūüėć.

This race also is the smelliest race. You know army boys right. Early morning never bathe. Just wake up wear pt kit and run. This smell somehow always reminds me of my army days. So much good memories. It‚Äôs one of the reasons why I run year after year after year. But hey! We do had a good bath after our run ok. A long hot shower in a very big toilet bathing together where everyone likes to compare sizesūüė≥. Ok I stop here and continue bout the run.

This race is also the noisiest race. Mind you, I never have a single minute of a quiet peaceful run. I repeat. Not a single minute. There are business talk, camp talk, girlfriends talk, lots of laughter and teasing everywhere and the usual army chants. 

I have never feel thirsty in this race. Water points are like wow! Every 2-3 kilometers? Medics are everywhere which is good. Entertainments and photo opportunities are aplenty too. PB in this race? Please..

One of the reasons also for me to run¬†is the pride of wearing red. I feel so Singaporean once a year running in this race. Everywhere¬†¬†you look around, chances are they are made and breed from Kandang Kerbau. Surrounded by all the yp youngsters, the middle age like me and all the uncles feel so good. Not even during the National Day Parade that I feel like Singaporean. I got nothing against the foreigners and FTs at our parade but then again, this is our Own National Day. The last time I felt so Singaporean was during the Malaysia Cup days at our old National StadiumūüėĘ.

So this is it. Just my personal view on Safra Half Marathon Lover’s Race. Don’t take it too serious ok. Overall it’s a nice Marathon to run. I’m just a sub 2.30 runner. If you’re a fast runner infront, I guess you miss all this fun behind.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day everyone!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I reached starting point  at 345am. I know I kiasu but want to get a good timing. By 4am already crowded but I started at wave 1. 

Impressive water stations but some routes are too narrow for a mass running event. A friend who started in wave 3 told me got human jam at these areas.

Crossed the finishing point at 1'37'58 (Finally  a PB after nearly 3 yrs!)

Edited by yh90

17 hours ago, prisangel said:

Thank for the link. Attend the event but i went for 10km run this rnd. Nice review on the 21km cat.  May i ask what r u wearing on ur left wrist at the finish line pix? E Red colour thingy.. look too big to be a gps watch or it is really a big gps watch ??? :o  

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

I reached starting point  at 345am. I know I kiasu but want to get a good timing. By 4am already crowded but I started at wave 1. 

Impressive water stations but some routes are too narrow for a mass running event. A friend who started in wave 3 told me got human jam at these areas.

Crossed the finishing point at 1'37'58 (Finally  a PB after nearly 3 yrs!)

1h37min! Very solid timing for HM!

Started in Wave 2, near the back. Very crowded for first until after GBTB. Queues for drinks.

Bottlenecks at several points. But could be worse.

Started in Wave 2, near the front. Had to weave through crowds of people from Wave 1, and it was only until about 9km or so where there was more space. Bottlenecks at Gardens by the Bay (where it was narrow, too crowded and there was no way even to weave through).

Water points were crowded, especially the earlier ones. There were twice where I grabbed a cup and it was yet to be filled.

On the flip slide, other aspects of logistics were good, especially considering the number of participants. Wait for bag deposit/collection was reasonable (esp compared to Standard Chartered 2017)

I would suggest next time they could collected the past event timing data to put ppl into diff waves with diff color BIB (like what this year Sundown was doing).

This should be the easiest way to reduce congestion make runners feel better.

Any high-rank army officer here to see this suggestion? :)

1 hour ago, Haibei1971 said:

I would suggest next time they could collected the past event timing data to put ppl into diff waves with diff color BIB (like what this year Sundown was doing).

This race has been staged for 26 times. It has never happened. Of cos doesn't mean it would never happen. But this is not the first time (and probably not the last time) that this has been suggested. 

Frankly, I'm not sure if this is really even necessary. It over-complicates things logistically and does not necessarily translates into a better race experience, though I would admit that it's seductive to believe so. 

I mean Sundown has been implementing the different pen system for many years now and from all accounts, the same issues of congestion and walkers happen every year.  Same with SCSM. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haibei1971 said:

The easiest way should be to have more flag off waves.  Just caveat  that runners should expect a longer period of time to wait in the pen while they flag off the large crowd by more waves and in more intervals.  Not sure why it is so difficult to implement.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, delldell314 said:

Thank for the link. Attend the event but i went for 10km run this rnd. Nice review on the 21km cat.  May i ask what r u wearing on ur left wrist at the finish line pix? E Red colour thingy.. look too big to be a gps watch or it is really a big gps watch ??? :o  

Thanks Delldell - glad that you liked the read! Hope you enjoyed your 10km too.

It's a sweat band. To wipe off sweat from my face when I perspire.

Edited by prisangel

18 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Thanks. Am I mistaken or runpix was actually missing for this event for last few years? Anyway I’m glad they have runpix this year. 

Runpix covered the event in 2016 and 2017 as well... 

This run was surprisingly un-humid compared to say, the Income Eco Run earlier this year. I finished in 1:42:27 (top 3%). 

No complaints about the race, although I'm curious why the water point at ECP and the cooling station at Fort Road were on the other side of the route!

The mass human jam for the first 2-3km was annoying, but not unexpected given that this is a mass race and I wasn't a seeded runner.  Agree that 'segregating' runners according to their expected finishing time would be a good idea, but how to enforce? Unless the organisers get runners to upload their race certificates? 

1 hour ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Runpix covered the event in 2016 and 2017 as well... 

This run was surprisingly un-humid compared to say, the Income Eco Run earlier this year. I finished in 1:42:27 (top 3%). 

No complaints about the race, although I'm curious why the water point at ECP and the cooling station at Fort Road were on the other side of the route!

The mass human jam for the first 2-3km was annoying, but not unexpected given that this is a mass race and I wasn't a seeded runner.  Agree that 'segregating' runners according to their expected finishing time would be a good idea, but how to enforce? Unless the organisers get runners to upload their race certificates? 

Thanks. Maybe cos last year I din Joon so I’ve forgetten. 

Yes I find the cooling station at ECP strange too. I wanted to skip it as I generally don’t find cooling stations cooling at all, but was afraid there would be a timing mat there. 

2 hours ago, ov3rw3ight said:

i think this is call "c*ck up" in army terms.¬†ūüėĀūüėĀ¬† , the commander incharged of that station probably setup on the wrong lane, given it was dark along ecp, and he may not realise that there were two lanes.

Actually...there is something that year after year i dun understand, why dun put the army boys or those Army units in another wave ?

Let the public go first, the army boys tend to walk, chit chat and mass block the jogging road. Example, public and the seeded runners starts at 4:30am, then the army boys starts at 5am, this will make sure that the roads are pretty clear off. 

U lump all the army boys and public together, the whole place become super congested and making people unhappy.