Top Chan

YOLO Run 2018 - Sat Oct 13, 2018,7am[Garden by the Bay]

3 hours ago, kcslchin said:

Again.......... how come garmen allow these private enterprises to carry on year after year?? It's not their 1st or 2nd year or even 3rd year. ?

It's called free enterprise. You can't expect the govt to step in when a company does not deliver or screw up in its delivery of services. It's not like XE is a scam that collects money from the public and did not deliver anything. There was a race. Tee shirt, singlets, running bras, roller foam, medals were given out. Thousands get to run in a race they willingly signed up for. 

What do you really expect the govt to do really? Shut XE down? Then what's next? 

2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

It's called free enterprise. You can't expect the govt to step in when a company does not deliver or screw up in its delivery of services. It's not like XE is a scam that collects money from the public and did not deliver anything. There was a race. Tee shirt, singlets, running bras, roller foam, medals were given out. Thousands get to run in a race they willingly signed up for. 

What do you really expect the govt to do really? Shut XE down? Then what's next? 

fine them until they die

I observed something very strange with the race results.

https://www.sportstats.ca/display-results.xhtml?raceid=97841

There appears to be a huge time gap between the person who finished in 35:54 and the next finisher who finished in 57:57. It seems inconceivable that such a 22 min gap exists among the finishers. The only reason I could think of (my speculation) was that there was some sort of timing fault, such that finishers that finished in that 22 min window failed to get their results captured properly. 

Any comments from anyone who knows more about this issue?

4 hours ago, warp9wb said:

There appears to be a huge time gap between the person who finished in 35:54 and the next finisher who finished in 57:57. It seems inconceivable that such a 22 min gap exists among the finishers. The only reason I could think of (my speculation) was that there was some sort of timing fault, such that finishers that finished in that 22 min window failed to get their results captured properly. 

I was in the 4th wave and I started out at 7:45AM. When I arrived at Marina Barrage, I just met the top two runners: Nimesh Gurung and Elkanah Arusey, who had already ran u-turn back and arrived at Marina Barrage too. 

Other than that, no further comments. Because from my perspective, any chaos and freaking weird things happened with this race are expected... ??

Edited by ZZIZZ

i'm guessing the blackout and collapse of the inflatable gantry had something to do with it. meanwhile, it seems like they scaled the 9km run timings to a 10km. my nett time is now 5 mins longer than what i measured on my watch.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, lnmjstn said:

i'm guessing the blackout and collapse of the inflatable gantry had something to do with it. meanwhile, it seems like they scaled the 9km run timings to a 10km. my nett time is now 5 mins longer than what i measured on my watch.

They use one mistake to make up the other mistake... but, again... it's expected. ?‍♂️

Their biggest mistake is not to offer Noobie a free race slot which they owe Noobie as Noobie signed up for the 2017 edition! 

Edited by NoobieRunner

11 hours ago, NoobieRunner said:

Their biggest mistake is not to offer Noobie a free race slot which they owe Noobie as Noobie signed up for the 2017 edition! 

Hmm what happened and why are they not honouring to you the free slot this year?

On 10/15/2018 at 9:41 AM, warp9wb said:

Just checked and they've since resolved the issue you flagged out (see pic below for the latest results).

complete.pngFor

For my individual results, the overall time is correct, but the split distances (and as a result, the individual splits) are rubbish.  How on earth can I be running at 3:24/km for one split, and 4:49/km for another?! 

yolo.png

Edited by ov3rw3ight
attached wrong file

On 10/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, kcslchin said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/yolo-run-singapore-hit-by-complaints-from-participants-again

Again.......... how come garmen allow these private enterprises to carry on year after year?? It's not their 1st or 2nd year or even 3rd year. ?

Yolo ahhh Yolo.....why so many go and sign up again?? Last year already Yoloed and pwned so many...still wanna Yolo again... 

8 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Yolo ahhh Yolo.....why so many go and sign up again?? Last year already Yoloed and pwned so many...still wanna Yolo again... 

Because most of them got it for free. 

14 hours ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Just checked and they've since resolved the issue you flagged out (see pic below for the latest results).

complete.pngFor

For my individual results, the overall time is correct, but the split distances (and as a result, the individual splits) are rubbish.  How on earth can I be running at 3:24/km for one split, and 4:49/km for another?! 

yolo.png

Issues related to split distances are far more common, based on my own personal experience. Hence, I would not be too hung up about it and disregard the split pacing. (Overall pace is screwed up anyways due to the 9k distance) That being said, being 1Km short in a 10Km race is a more serious and rare issue. Given that participants paid to run a set distance (as opposed to running for free), it is important and a basic requirement for organizers to get the distance correct. 

On 10/17/2018 at 1:40 PM, ov3rw3ight said:

Like me! 

Even for one of the three guys who were invited to the stage after the race,

- was asked by MC: "Why do you participate this race today"?

- ..."because I got it for free loh!"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Even for one of the three guys who were invited to the stage after the race,

- was asked by MC: "Why do you participate this race today"?

- ..."because I got it for free loh!"

LOL!!! Seems like unless they are giving everyone another free slot next year, i don't think they'll be another YOLO

11 hours ago, jerrylam said:

LOL!!! Seems like unless they are giving everyone another free slot next year, i don't think they'll be another YOLO

Nope, I don't believe that they will still give free slots to the people in next year. As they proudly announced: they come back strong. With a successful race being held (as they strongly believed), no point for them give free slots again... 

So next year, we will see how many exactly people will sign it up.

Edited by ZZIZZ

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

Nope, I don't believe that they will still give free slots to the people in next year. As they proudly announced: they come back strong. With a successful race being held (as they strongly believed), no point for them give free slots again... 

So next year, we will see how many exactly people will sign it up.

they will give out free car to winner or something like that and a lot will pay again. and the cycle will continue and continue hahahahaha 

Edited by bookie

2 hours ago, bookie said:

they will give out free car to winner or something like that and a lot will pay again. and the cycle will continue and continue hahahahaha 

then we will see someone say loud will run naked and cut if there is same race in Year 2019? :P

7 hours ago, medic said:

then we will see someone say loud will run naked and cut if there is same race in Year 2019? :P

Wah liew, don’t like that leh

give chance can or not

39 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

Wah liew, don’t like that leh

give chance can or not

Now I just realized that "Yellow Ribbon Run" is so meaningful... ???

21 hours ago, bookie said:

There is a baby born everyday, so everyday there will be a new runner that just join the running community and looking for a event to join. You will never run out of participants if you do your marketing well.