Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Athletics: Singapore Athletics loses apparel sponsor

Beleaguered national sports association Singapore Athletics (SA) has recently been dealt another setback after Australian sporting apparel brand 2XU terminated its sponsorship with the association.

The Straits Times understands that SA officials were told of the decision on Dec 8 by representatives from local distributor Key Power International.

It is also understood, based on documents seen by ST, that one of the reasons cited is that 2XU were displeased that national marathoner Soh Rui Yong had cut holes in his singlet for the SEA Games marathon in August. 2XU provided the national track and field athletes' attire for the 29th Games in Kuala Lumpur.

Full StoryAthletics: Singapore Athletics loses apparel sponsor

[COMMENT]  I'm wondering what is the actual reason for 2XU withdrawal. I think Rui Yong is just being made a scapegoat because looking at the picture of the holes that he cut, it wasn't as bad as I had initially thought when I read about it. I was expecting big holes in his singlet or he had cut out the '2XU' branding but instead, it just looks small slits. Certainly not big enough to be upset over.

Take a look and decides for yourself.

st_20171218_sprthole_3633722.jpg

I think the truth is that with all the stinks coming out from SA last yr from leaked message to lost vaulting poles to argument over training plan to power grab to sponsorship row etc etc.. the list just goes on and on. Is it any wonder that 2XU want to disassociate themselves with such a troubled organisation? 

Looking at the picture makes me realise that Rui Yong has managed to (intentional or not I dun know) give his sponsor some exposure after all. :crazysmile:

Edited by lonewolf

It's not an unusual practice. Galen Rupp did it too. You cannot blame any athlete from wanting an extra edge, no matter whether it will actually work or even just a psychological one.  I guess a lot depends on what actually transpired. For example, was the sponsor's permission sought and obtained before hand? If not, the sponsor may well be within its contractual rights to feel unhappy esp of for eg, permission was not granted but Soh still went ahead. Anyway it's just pure speculation unless we hear the facts from both sides - which I doubt we will get. 

Anyway 2XU didn't renew the contract. Not that they terminated it. Even if true, this is only one of the reasons for their decision. ST may have just singled out this reason cos it's more newsworthy. ST is like a tabloid nowadays. 

From Soh's latest FB postings, can see he's still pretty childish as ever. Pretending to be grateful but openly mocking 2XU with Asics on the same post. And another post showing him as a winner as if to remind everyone who he is, as if the end justifies the means.  

Spore sports is just too messed up right now.  Everyone from associations, coaches, athletes, even supporters sucks. The ecosystem is a sad state of affairs  

16 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Anyway 2XU didn't renew the contract. Not that they terminated it. Even if true, this is only one of the reasons for their decision. ST may have just singled out this reason cos it's more newsworthy. ST is like a tabloid nowadays. 

From Soh's latest FB postings, can see he's still pretty childish as ever. Pretending to be grateful but openly mocking 2XU with Asics on the same post. And another post showing him as a winner as if to remind everyone who he is, as if the end justifies the means

Spore sports is just too messed up right now.  Everyone from associations, coaches, athletes, even supporters sucks. The ecosystem is a sad state of affairs  

Actually, 2XU did renew the sponsorship for a second 3 year period from 2016-2018. So by deciding not to continue with the sponsorship in 2018, they are indeed terminating it. 

The thing about Soh is that when he won the National Championship in SCSM, he was wearing an ASICS singlet but I dun see him cutting holes like he did with the SA 2XU singlet. Is Spore any less hot and humid than KL? Or is he making a point that his sponsor singlet is better than 2XU singlet? 

I agree with your sentiments. It's not just SA. Just look at the sad state of Singapore soccer. 

Edited by lonewolf

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, lonewolf said:

Full StoryAthletics: Singapore Athletics loses apparel sponsor

[COMMENT]  I'm wondering what is the actual reason for 2XU withdrawal. I think Rui Yong is just being made a scapegoat because looking at the picture of the holes that he cut, it wasn't as bad as I had initially thought when I read about it. I was expecting big holes in his singlet or he had cut out the '2XU' branding but instead, it just looks small slits. Certainly not big enough to be upset over.

Take a look and decides for yourself.

st_20171218_sprthole_3633722.jpg

I think the truth is that with all the stinks coming out from SA last yr from leaked message to lost vaulting poles to argument over training plan to power grab to sponsorship row etc etc.. the list just goes on and on. Is it any wonder that 2XU want to disassociate themselves with such a troubled organisation? 

Looking at the picture makes me realise that Rui Yong has managed to (intentional or not I dun know) give his sponsor some exposure after all. :crazysmile:

Jack Neo has chosen to use the simple  "I Not Stupid"

1)"I was expecting big holes in his singlet or he had cut out the '2XU' branding"                                                                                                        If so, Mr  Rui Yong need to go court.

2) " it just looks small slits. Certainly not big enough to be upset over."                                                                                                                      Mr Rui Yong action is telling the world that 2XU singlet material is lousy & the design is poor. That had greatly damage 2XU brand !!!  

3) "the stinks coming out from SA last yr from leaked message to lost vaulting poles to argument over training plan to power grab to sponsorship row etc etc. the list just goes on and on. Is it any wonder that 2XU want to disassociate themselves with such a troubled organisation?"                                                                                                                                                                                                             lonewolf, Please Stop.

4) "Looking at the picture makes me realise that Rui Yong has managed to (intentional or not I dun know) give his sponsor some exposure after all."                                                                                                                                                                                                                 All negative exposure to Mr  Rui Yong, cause damage to 2XU, SA & Singapore !!!

The court has awarded 2XU win. No appeal by SA. No appeal by Mr  Rui Yong. That show Mr  Rui Yong action cause Singapore Athletics loses apparel sponsor. 

(a) uncle expresses as the SA Technical Director on Soh:

diva (celebrated female) - a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please; a person who exudes great style and personality with confidence and expresses their own style and not letting others influence who they are or want to be

prima donna - a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance

question: is soh that kind of person?...most had credited on how soh is a great sportsman in this forum...past (and present)...inspiration to all.

(b) uncle expresses as a SA Official (IAAF Rules and Regulations, Uniform Guidelines) and Endurance Run Athlete:

"Holey Shirt" in Road Race Competitions https://trailmag.co.za/holey-shirt/

question: is this a history of innovation for marathon race?...yes..."In August 2016, Galen raced in a holey shirt once more at the Rio Olympics. This time, Nike made the running vest with holes so that Galen wouldn’t have to DIY. He won a bronze medal in the marathon with a 2:10:05, on a wet day with 95% humidity."...unless SA could make a collective agreement on Holey-shirt can be worn for future Road Race Competitions...looking forward...

c) uncle agrees on this article on the little saga on soh and the cut holes singlet:

https://mothership.sg/2017/12/soh-rui-yong-cut-holes-singlet/

"Cutting these slits seem like a good idea for faster evaporation and moisture management..." 

(d) uncle has suggested to all who had taken part in SCSM 2017...yes, uncle also ran this one...got nice free facebook picture some more...blue one for guys...green one for gals...try it...experiment the innovation style...holey-tee...

i4iu4j.jpg

:D:D:D "hahaha - love it - upcycle"...even uncle is endorsed by @Lady Ice in "Creating Clean, Green Events as a Norm"...:) clean and green seal of approval.

Happy and holey eventful 2018 to all!

Edited by kohpapa

bro...maybe the yolorun 2018...2XU may come out this for male runners...

2uo78jt.jpg

:rolleyes: free top holey tee for bro runners only....swee(t) boh with 2 thumbs up...modesty intact instead of bare body...sibeh disgusting...

Edited by kohpapa

Sports singlet or t-shirt with cut holes are the latest fashion now......

you can buy it from online.....

5a475f37ff96b6533e70379d-5-small.jpg5a475f37ff96b6533e70379d-1-small.jpg