Sign in to follow this  
sicklycat

Klang City Marathon - car accident

Sharing a news article I just came across...

https://www.channel8news.sg/news8/latestnews/20171211-wld-msia-marathon-accident-1/3908312.html?cid=ch8news-fb

The article is in Chinese, but in gist:

- A car ran into a few runners during a running event in Malaysia.

- Turned out that the organisers did not apply for road closure.

While this had happened in Malaysia, I can't help thinking that if some of the sloppy organisers continue their bad planning/ corner-cutting (eg: the recent YOLO run apparently had insufficient or no road closure?), this can happen in Singapore too! :phew:

https://www.runsociety.com/news/klang-city-international-marathon-discovered-to-be-held-illegally-after-serious-car-crash/

More than meets the eye. Not applying for road closure as part of cost cutting measures to maximize profit is one thing...but organizing an 'illegal' race is at another level altogether. From some of the reports, it was found that the organizers failed to obtain a permit to hold the race from the relevant authorities. 

I read that one of the Minster asked to sue the race organiser... I was just wondering if runners can boycott if they feel That the road closure wasn't adequate And runners were running along the road with no barriers from cars...

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I read that one of the Minster asked to sue the race organiser... I was just wondering if runners can boycott if they feel That the road closure wasn't adequate And runners were running along the road with no barriers from cars...

Quite difficult to boycott if they only find it out during the race? 

4 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Quite difficult to boycott if they only find it out during the race? 

That's.true.. but runners can choose not to run along the road if they see the cars are zooming beside them without any safety barrier at all... sometimes even with safety barriers, I also have reservations...

11 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

That's.true.. but runners can choose not to run along the road if they see the cars are zooming beside them without any safety barrier at all... sometimes even with safety barriers, I also have reservations...

if already running in the race and choose not to run the route...then you mean DNF?

58 minutes ago, medic said:

if already running in the race and choose not to run the route...then you mean DNF?

If all runners stop and boycott that.section.. and either run on the pedestrian path or find a safer route,I think the organiser will know there is something wrong with their route. Main point is all runners unite...

On 14/12/2017 at 9:47 AM, AutumnRunner said:

If all runners stop and boycott that.section.. and either run on the pedestrian path or find a safer route,I think the organiser will know there is something wrong with their route. Main point is all runners unite...

AR, your ability to over-simplify things really baffles me sometimes. 

It's not always possible to run on a pedestrian path or find an alternate safer route in the middle of the race right? Especially if you are not familiar with the area in which the race is staged in. 

11 hours ago, lonewolf said:

AR, your ability to over-simplify things really baffles me sometimes. 

It's not always possible to run on a pedestrian path or find an alternate safer route in the middle of the race right? Especially if you are not familiar with the area in which the race is staged in.

It's a wish list of course... I just dun wan irresponsible organisers to get away with it..

Edited by AutumnRunner

22 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

It's a wish list of course... I just dun wan irresponsible organisers to get away with it..

Your wish will never come true until the relevant authorities step up to curb all these and implement regulations, otherwise this will not stop and organizers will still get away with it. Your idea of runners unite to take a different route if they see something wrong with the route also sound too far-fetched to me. 

When you sign up for a run you already sign an indemnity form that frees up organizers from any legal liabilities. So It's either you don't participate, or you are willing to put your life at risk.

To be honest, everytime I participate in a marathon, there is a part of me which believes that I am not come back alive from the event. Too many news like this, as well as frequent reports of chronic heart attacks, made me a little paranoid of how safe I am in these events. 

Edited by beast

seriously every marathon or cycling event in klang sure got accident. I am pretty sure Klang is not the right place to hold any marathon or cycling event. With so many mad dog driver on road sharing marathon is fatal.

BluestacksTextNowVPN

Edited by nateliv

On 12/13/2017 at 12:17 PM, AutumnRunner said:

I wouldn't boycott when in race. no options left..