Sign in to follow this  
gentle

Virgin Money London Marathon 2018

thanks ayukawa22

it seems so exotic and exclusive that i only know of another friend from SG who will also be participating

if you know anyone else from SG will will be participating, please invite him/her to link up with me

cheers

On 29/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, AutumnRunner said:

Congrats.. that's one of the WMM and I am sure it will be a memorable race...

hahaha - people complain about the t-shirt sizes at SCSM.......VLM - provide every finisher with a one sized cotton t-shirt, so big it is like a nighty. Anyhow there are loads of supporters and the race village is great. Route wise - well Tower Bridge and the end point are great.....the rest like Limehouse and Canary Wharf - yuck.  Incidentally if you try to meet up at the end - meet up a mile away as you cannot move at the end and everything is really slow and crowded.

Edited by Lady Ice

On 12/7/2017 at 12:16 PM, Lady Ice said:

hahaha - people complain about the t-shirt sizes at SCSM.......VLM - provide every finisher with a one sized cotton t-shirt, so big it is like a nighty. Anyhow there are loads of supporters and the race village is great. Route wise - well Tower Bridge and the end point are great.....the rest like Limehouse and Canary Wharf - yuck.  Incidentally if you try to meet up at the end - meet up a mile away as you cannot move at the end and everything is really slow and crowded.

twice?? wah.... dun tell me you completed all WMM already? how is the route like in terms of flatness?

9 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

twice?? wah.... dun tell me you completed all WMM already? how is the route like in terms of flatness?

Nah am not into doing all the WMM unless it is to create a sustainable change in the way they run their events :D

London is flatter than Singapore, New York,  Rome BUT there are a couple of undulations - one in Greenwich and the other when you go into an underground road tunnel into Canary Wharf and have to run up the other side. If you want a really flat course - go to Pisa marathon. Personally prefer undulations as it changes up the muscles that you use.

21 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Nah am not into doing all the WMM unless it is to create a sustainable change in the way they run their events :D

London is flatter than Singapore, New York,  Rome BUT there are a couple of undulations - one in Greenwich and the other when you go into an underground road tunnel into Canary Wharf and have to run up the other side. If you want a really flat course - go to Pisa marathon. Personally prefer undulations as it changes up the muscles that you use.

Thanks for the advice... really hope more races will take up your sustainable idea... and I am sure more runners will  know and exercise diligently...

7 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Thanks for the advice... really hope more races will take up your sustainable idea... and I am sure more runners will  know and exercise diligently...

Really hope so. Public Hygiene Council thought the Padang area looked much cleaner than in previous years. So that was a nice feedback :D  Now just need more runners to help me. BTW London Marathon is a big trash festival. Watch out for the mass of ankle twisting bottles on the floor at check points as well as people dropping bottles right in front of you......barbarians!

11 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Really hope so. Public Hygiene Council thought the Padang area looked much cleaner than in previous years. So that was a nice feedback :D  Now just need more runners to help me. BTW London Marathon is a big trash festival. Watch out for the mass of ankle twisting bottles on the floor at check points as well as people dropping bottles right in front of you......barbarians!

This is quite different if you go to Jap races.. seldom see trashes out of the bin..

hi ladyice,

thanks for sharing your experience

did you run with your tyre?  :D

my main concern now is the accommodation - i have booked a hotel near greenwich - but not sure which starting point i will be assigned...

my friend plans to stay nearer to the finish point instead...

is traveling to the start point on race day a big issue?

1 hour ago, gentle said:

hi ladyice,

thanks for sharing your experience

did you run with your tyre?  :D

my main concern now is the accommodation - i have booked a hotel near greenwich - but not sure which starting point i will be assigned...

my friend plans to stay nearer to the finish point instead...

is traveling to the start point on race day a big issue?

You should be fine. The starting points are close enough (think they were about 1km-1 mile apart depending on route) It's all close enough and maybe you have jetlag so you will be awake at 5am anyway.  Also TFL (Transport For London) normally give all competitors free travel as long as you show your race number. Think on one time there was a screw up with the overground transport but lucky I had booked into a hotel close to Greenwich. I have never done a drop bag, but have been a spectator/supporter for friends and that is a little bit of a nightmare so if possible get your friends to keep stuff for you after and as I said meet outside of the race village. You cannot move in there.

Yep both times with my tyre :D

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

This is quite different if you go to Jap races.. seldom see trashes out of the bin..

As well as Taiwan. Had some of the green ambassador runners at SCSM take videos whilst out on the run and saw a Taiwanese runner deliberately divert to the bins so he could ensure his cup went into the bin. In the videos we see many runners try to toss their cups towards the bins and fail as well as drop their cups on the floor. I know our local runners can do better and be leaders of clean events :D

19 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

As well as Taiwan. Had some of the green ambassador runners at SCSM take videos whilst out on the run and saw a Taiwanese runner deliberately divert to the bins so he could ensure his cup went into the bin. In the videos we see many runners try to toss their cups towards the bins and fail as well as drop their cups on the floor. I know our local runners can do better and be leaders of clean events :D

At least u see many runners trying to toss their cups into the bin... meaning the intent is there... :lol:

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

At least u see many runners trying to toss their cups into the bin... meaning the intent is there... :lol:

Too true.  Now got to get them to be more like the Taiwanese and go to the bin :D

Then I work on London Marathon. Cos it is really bad. Generally older runners (40 +) in London area also say there are cleaners. When you are at the back, the bottles are worst than the cups for tripping up on. Generally found the late 20s - 30s seem to be more dilligent here. Same as in Singapore.

Edited by Lady Ice

On 12/10/2017 at 9:46 PM, Lady Ice said:

You should be fine. The starting points are close enough (think they were about 1km-1 mile apart depending on route) It's all close enough and maybe you have jetlag so you will be awake at 5am anyway.  Also TFL (Transport For London) normally give all competitors free travel as long as you show your race number. Think on one time there was a screw up with the overground transport but lucky I had booked into a hotel close to Greenwich. I have never done a drop bag, but have been a spectator/supporter for friends and that is a little bit of a nightmare so if possible get your friends to keep stuff for you after and as I said meet outside of the race village. You cannot move in there.

Yep both times with my tyre :D

if getting to race start is not a major problem, i am thinking whether to give up my hotel near the start line and stay with my friend (in airB&B) nearer to the finishing line...

i will have company for the few days before race day and can save quite a bit of $ on accommodation.

for those who doesn't know LadyIce, she "runs" marathons dragging a tyre since many years ago (including singapore marathon)

i saw a "copycat" guy doing it at this year's SCSM too!

2 hours ago, gentle said:

if getting to race start is not a major problem, i am thinking whether to give up my hotel near the start line and stay with my friend (in airB&B) nearer to the finishing line...

i will have company for the few days before race day and can save quite a bit of $ on accommodation.

for those who doesn't know LadyIce, she "runs" marathons dragging a tyre since many years ago (including singapore marathon)

i saw a "copycat" guy doing it at this year's SCSM too!

Before you do that - consider the time it will take you to get to the event. Assume your friend will stay someone near Green Park and you will need to go to Greenwich - then estimate about 1/2 hr train journey + 20 minute walk to find your pen. Also have a back up plan if the train system for what ever stupid reason decides to have a strike or someone jumps under the train. Uber will be very slow due to road closures.

Sg SMRT is way more reliable than the UK.

Here is a link to the underground map http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

thanks for the link...

i am surprised that SG MRT is more reliable than london tube :D

now i think i better keep my hotel booking...

I know there have been some operational issues in Sg but no way as bad as UK. Here are some of the common delays by the overland trains:

- Strike (there's always a strike over pay every year by one of the unions - rail guards, drivers, platform staff....)

- Suicide (perhaps happens every other year near the London area)

- Leaves on the track - can cause slippage

- No rail guard / no driver (for some reason they were late)

- Wrong snow (London rarely has a lot of snow) - which can clog up the engine

- Signalling issues (get that frequently)

Am always thankful when I can get from A to B in a timely manner. Yes SMRT is way more reliable than UK underground/overground. UK trains are all privately owned! So probably why it can be unreliable.

Edited by Lady Ice
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

I know there have been some operational issues in Sg but no way as bad as UK. Here are some of the common delays by the overland trains:

- Strike (there's always a strike over pay every year by one of the unions - rail guards, drivers, platform staff....)

- Suicide (perhaps happens every other year near the London area)

- Leaves on the track - can cause slippage

- No rail guard / no driver (for some reason they were late)

- Wrong snow (London rarely has a lot of snow) - which can clog up the engine

- Signalling issues (get that frequently)

Am always thankful when I can get from A to B in a timely manner. Yes SMRT is way more reliable than UK underground/overground. UK trains are all privately owned! So probably why it can be unreliable.

looks like you have been stationed there for a substantial time thus you know so much.... its good information so that runners who go there for marathon running will have these in mind,...