Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ice

Warning to Running Tossers at SCSM 2017

The challenge is on to get "running tossers" to be responsible for their trash in the Singapore Marathon. With the full support of the organisers, volunteers will be  doing their best to get you to put all your runners' trash in the bins provided so that we can all enjoy a clean event. We will also be reducing the amount of trash that will go to landfill.

So warning to all running tossers participating in the SCSM, dropping trash on the floor is no longer acceptable! We want a cleaner event that can be enjoyed safely by all

https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2017/11/09/how-to-change-trashy-events/

Edited by Lady Ice

We are thinking responsible adults. We are not sheep!

We dictate our actions in life :D

Let us lead and make all feel ashamed of irresponsible behaviour. This will make SCSM a progressive event. We need to start somewhere to change the attitudes of tossers.

(BTW the foreign elite professionals tend to have placed their own water bottles at certain check points and these are picked up for them by their support crew)

Edited by Lady Ice

On 11/12/2017 at 6:57 AM, Lady Ice said:

We are thinking responsible adults. We are not sheep!

We dictate our actions in life :D

Let us lead and make all feel ashamed of irresponsible behaviour. This will make SCSM a progressive event. We need to start somewhere to change the attitudes of tossers.

(BTW the foreign elite professionals tend to have placed their own water bottles at certain check points and these are picked up for them by their support crew)

I remember seeing elite professionals tossing their bottles.. i didnt know their crew will retrieve them later... hahah....

To make it a little clearer -- tossing into the big bins providing by the organisers is ok right?

Yes - toss into the big bins is absolutely correct. Interesting to note that the Great Eastern Women's Run was pretty clean for their whole course and they knew how to always put their cup in the bin!

P.S. one of the local fast / "elite" runners (Ah Siao) says he will BYOB, wear the Bin It sign and put his trash in the bin. He will hopefully go sub 3 at the same time so do support him on.

Maybe some more of you will wear the Bin It sign to encourage those around to put their trash in the bin. If a load of women can do it (Great Eastern Women's Run), surely the men can show they are responsible as well ;)

image.png.d368e616ee8f712a5c096ee613e6e4aa.png

On 11/13/2017 at 5:21 AM, Lady Ice said:

Maybe some more of you will wear the Bin It sign to encourage those around to put their trash in the bin. If a load of women can do it (Great Eastern Women's Run), surely the men can show they are responsible as well ;)

image.png.d368e616ee8f712a5c096ee613e6e4aa.png

Seriously i don't think it's a gender issue where men are the culprits for not throwing the trash in the bins... i don't have any statistics to back up as well... maybe it could be that the bins in GE are at good distance apart... hahah..

On 10 November 2017 at 10:57 PM, Lady Ice said:

The challenge is on to get "running tossers" to be responsible for their trash in the Singapore Marathon. With the full support of the organisers, volunteers will be  doing their best to get you to put all your runners' trash in the bins provided so that we can all enjoy a clean event. We will also be reducing the amount of trash that will go to landfill.

So warning to all running tossers participating in the SCSM, dropping trash on the floor is no longer acceptable! We want a cleaner event that can be enjoyed safely by all

https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2017/11/09/how-to-change-trashy-events/

This is not an excuse for littering, but I do wish the organisers would provide larger (longer) rubbish containers . And also place them at appropriate intervals after each water point. Cos usually people drink and eat bananas at different speeds. So having just one next to the water point may not be sufficient. 

Having longer water tables will also help as runners will grab the drink, walk and sip, and just in time to reach the rubbish bins before moving off. 

Organizers should encourage runners to run with their phones....to snap pics of tossers to be included into a Tossers' Hall of Fame LOL

18 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Organizers should encourage runners to run with their phones....to snap pics of tossers to be included into a Tossers' Hall of Fame LOL

meaning organisers should sponsor the armband for phone? hahaha....

6 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Seriously i don't think it's a gender issue where men are the culprits for not throwing the trash in the bins... i don't have any statistics to back up as well... maybe it could be that the bins in GE are at good distance apart... hahah..

Hmmm - GE Women's Run vs Army run.....hmmm.  Perhaps there is a tiny gender issue....women are more conscious and conscientious with regards to keeping things clean in the house and more likely to recycle than men???.....:P 

6 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

This is not an excuse for littering, but I do wish the organisers would provide larger (longer) rubbish containers . And also place them at appropriate intervals after each water point. Cos usually people drink and eat bananas at different speeds. So having just one next to the water point may not be sufficient. 

Having longer water tables will also help as runners will grab the drink, walk and sip, and just in time to reach the rubbish bins before moving off. 

Yes the organisers have created longer water tables and there is a long drop zone. The majority of cups are dropped a couple of metres from the tables despite there being bins! Have seen so many people drop cups and gel packets around the bin!

The other thing is, some runners continue 100 metres away from the checkpoint and will dump there and then. Should hold onto their trash or put it in a pouch of some sort

3 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Brilliant - yes - we have about 10 runners taking photos of tossers during the event....and will definitely have to create a "Tossers Hall of Fame" :D

4 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Yes the organisers have created longer water tables and there is a long drop zone. The majority of cups are dropped a couple of metres from the tables despite there being bins! Have seen so many people drop cups and gel packets around the bin!

The other thing is, some runners continue 100 metres away from the checkpoint and will dump there and then. Should hold onto their trash or put it in a pouch of some sort

Brilliant - yes - we have about 10 runners taking photos of tossers during the event....and will definitely have to create a "Tossers Hall of Fame" :D

Yes, hence I suggest placing 2 or 3 long bins maybe 30metres apart after each station. Make it easier for them not to anyhow throw. I think Tokyo marathon does it. 

But I agree on the throwing cups and gel at the waterpoint esp just next to the table! Usually the running path is full of water cups. So ugly and even dangerous as it makes the floor slippery. They can't even bother walk a few steps to throw into the bin provided even though they are also going in the same direction anyway. Sigh 

2 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Yes, hence I suggest placing 2 or 3 long bins maybe 30metres apart after each station. Make it easier for them not to anyhow throw. I think Tokyo marathon does it. 

But I agree on the throwing cups and gel at the waterpoint esp just next to the table! Usually the running path is full of water cups. So ugly and even dangerous as it makes the floor slippery. They can't even bother walk a few steps to throw into the bin provided even though they are also going in the same direction anyway. Sigh 

Unfortunately the attitude around the world is to drop the cups and gels on the floor. It won't matter how many bins there are. Generally runners outside of Taiwan and Japan feel it is their right to drop stuff on the floor becos they have paid for someone to clean up after them!

Would you help wear the Bin It sign on your running shirt? There are so far 8 FM runners who will be doing so, but the more the better so we can encourage other participants to keep our streets clean and safe for other runners? Would like about 100 or more runners to wear the Bin It sign.....as part of their PB :D

FYI:

Edited by Lady Ice

On 11/14/2017 at 2:37 AM, Lady Ice said:

Hmmm - GE Women's Run vs Army run.....hmmm.  Perhaps there is a tiny gender issue....women are more conscious and conscientious with regards to keeping things clean in the house and more likely to recycle than men???.....:P 

you are truly a true-blue lady... wahahahha..... 

Yes, i agreed with @wonderfulblevic that there should be more bins separated at a longer distance away from one another... some runners would continue running after they take their drinks and as one is running, it will take a while for them to finish drinking all hydration in the cup.. By the time they finish drinking, they could have easily ran 100-200m... thus having smaller bins (maybe) at 100m-150m away from the hydration point is useful.... 

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Yes, i agreed with @wonderfulblevic that there should be more bins separated at a longer distance away from one another... some runners would continue running after they take their drinks and as one is running, it will take a while for them to finish drinking all hydration in the cup.. By the time they finish drinking, they could have easily ran 100-200m... thus having smaller bins (maybe) at 100m-150m away from the hydration point is useful.... 

Unfortunately it really isn't a bin issue but more like an attitude issue that has been copied from runners before. Runners have told me over and over again - but it is cleaned up. For me that insinuates that they "paid" for it to be cleaned and are not concerned that other runners actually do trip over the trash. There was a 1/2 marathon event I recently took part in and there were frequent bins (like every 50m) - people still dumped their trash on the road, in the grass, in the bush :iiam:

3 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

you are truly a true-blue lady... wahahahha..... 

You know it LOL

On 14/11/2017 at 9:11 AM, AutumnRunner said:

meaning organisers should sponsor the armband for phone? hahaha....

Confirmed - SCSM are sponsoring the armband for phone - so now no excuse.... ahahahaha!

18 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Confirmed - SCSM are sponsoring the armband for phone - so now no excuse.... ahahahaha!

i would definitely run with my phone if the armband fits in my phone but cause the expo is a few days before race, might not have the time to train with it... the other thing is, how to take  photo as tossers would toss within 1 second after drinking and since I am running, definitely the image will be blurred.... 

Edited by AutumnRunner

10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

i would definitely run with my phone if the armband fits in my phone but cause the expo is a few days before race, might not have the time to train with it... the other thing is, how to take  photo as tossers would toss within 1 second after drinking and since I am running, definitely the image will be blurred.... 

Thank you for thinking about this :) Can video runners as you go into the checkpoint and am sure we will catch tossers and angels :D we can take your film apart and look at the frames. Thus "Tossers Hall of Fame" and "Angels Hall of Fame" :P

Remember to train yourself mentally by visualising how you feel at each 5km, how you are breathing, what nutrition you will have taken, ;) and how the sun will be deflected by your preparation

Edited by Lady Ice

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Thank you for thinking about this :) Can video runners as you go into the checkpoint and am sure we will catch tossers and angels :D we can take your film apart and look at the frames. Thus "Tossers Hall of Fame" and "Angels Hall of Fame" :P

Remember to train yourself mentally by visualising how you feel at each 5km, how you are breathing, what nutrition you will have taken, ;) and how the sun will be deflected by your preparation

Good good...