Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lokey

New York Marathon 2017

One word. Rain. Was lucky enough to get a slot by lottery. Conditions were 10-16C. Cloudy. Me average runner, so started at Wave 4. The wait was long. You start the day at 5am. Get on the bus, get to Staten Island by 6.30am and wait. Security was tight. Just after the week’s lone wolf attack, every security outfit was activated. NYPD, State troopers, SWAT, NYPD choppers, mounted Police and the Marines. The safest you can feel.

Cold and windy. Wave 4 starts at 11am! Many of us was just trying to keep warm. A bit of advice, bring throw away winter clothes and a airline blanket. Bring a mat. Lie down and meditate. Stay warm. 

I thought practicing slopes will prepare you for the bridges. But boy! was I wrong. It was the undulating roads. That’s the killer. Five bridges. The first was a climb from 30m to 86m, 1.2km uphill. Running at 3% on the threadmill will prepare you, sort of. The 5 bridges was not the problem but the slopy roads plays with your mind.

As soon we started, it drizzled. Not the tropical rain but consistent drizzle. Ran with three layers. You think it will dry out, but no. It seeps in. Shirts wet. Worst, socks wet. I thought blister time. But the atmosphere and crowds were awesome. In the rain, the bands played. Buskers entertained. Crowds cheered on. Amazing! If it was Singapore, “bo lang liao”.

My goal was sub-5. Until the 17th mile was still on target with 11mins/mi. But by the 37km after the Bronx and the last damn bridge, on 5th Ave straight, was a slow incline for 2.5km. Something your mind and legs will not agree. It was like 3% on the treadmill going forever. Wet and cold, many walked. 

Central Park was undulating again. Then you exit into 59th St, slope! all the way to Columbus Circle. The last 400m was uphill to the Finish, again!! “wah piang!” That was a real test. No joke. Finished a humbling 5:16. 23mins slower than London and 34mins slower than Berlin. NYM truly a major. It’s the one, you “beh kam wan” want to come back and do it again. Now I have not done Boston (not that I can qualify), but this is the second toughest.

If any of you are lucky enough to get the lottery. Do go and go prepared. Prepare strong legs. Strong mind. Run like 3/4hours then finish with a Sembawang slope for 3km. Don’t forget to simulate the 5 bridges. Train for strong strides or consistent small quick steps. Condition your cardio for that. Always Breathe Deep, Run Easy. It reminds me of the SCMS at the Shears Bridge after 36km but only longer. 

Nevertheless, a great experience. Great crowd. Do go for it!

Happy Running! ??

wah.... looks like you have a real good experience with the Wait, Cold, Wetness, Hills, Bridges, Slopes, etc.... Congrats on completion of one more marathon major... looks like i got to try for lottery for every other WMM else i would not even have done one before....

is wave 4 the last wave? starts at 11am? The race for elites starts at 9am and it is quite a long wait then for each wave... maybe the roads were narrow thus it took longer to clear the crowd... 

I cant imagine running in the rain and soaking wet for the full distance... seems to be a trouble for the body for sure....

Hope you do qualify for Boston one day to complete your entire 6 races....

Yes, completed but very “beh kam wan”

The Elite men starts 9.00am. Then the women 9.15am. They want it clear for TV, I think. Then Wave 1 sub 3s. 930am. Wave 2 10am. Staggered like that. Long wait. 50,000 runners.

BQ? cannot lah, maybe buy a tour slot.?

you should try with multiple emails. Increase your chances.

Multiple emails? I think they may go by passport number and still take as one chance only? 

I can understand how u feel that there could be more that u can do to run even better right? Maybe just concentrate on getting the rest of the WMM in your collection?