Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ice

Gear Tip for the Singapore Marathon (and other hot humid Marathons)

I have completed SCSM 4 times.

I learned after the first time to bring my own bottle because I definitely need water between the check points after the 1/2 way mark.

Last 3 occasions, past the 21km mark, have had to help people who could barely make it to the next check point, suffering from dehydration and salt depletion. From my own water bottle I gave them water and sprayed them with water. Each have said that is a good idea and wished they had brought their own bottle.

At 4am the temperatures are nice and the darkness keeps your mind thinking cool. At 6:30 am the sun is rising and you begin to think about the heat. At 7am the sun is out and your awareness of the heat kicks in. If you are intending to do the SCSM and you are about a 4hr+ runner,  do yourself  a favour and get yourself a 300-500ml running bottle so you can hyrdate and keep yourself cool between check points (I know of 3hr+ runners who do this and find it immensely beneficial). A 500ml water bottle is about 0.5 kg. Most of your shoes weigh more than this!

Ask the volunteers nicely to refill your bottle and thank them after with a word of encouragement.

Bring some oral electrolytes. I use Repalyte. Costs about 40c-60c a packet.

And remember to put all your trash in the bins that are provided to reduce the amount of "Run Away" trash (trash that goes into our drains, canals, rivers, sea or hidden in grass during and after the event).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 04/11/2017 at 11:26 PM, Lady Ice said:

I have completed SCSM 4 times.

I learned after the first time to bring my own bottle because I definitely need water between the check points after the 1/2 way mark.

Last 3 occasions, past the 21km mark, have had to help people who could barely make it to the next check point, suffering from dehydration and salt depletion. From my own water bottle I gave them water and sprayed them with water. Each have said that is a good idea and wished they had brought their own bottle.

At 4am the temperatures are nice and the darkness keeps your mind thinking cool. At 6:30 am the sun is rising and you begin to think about the heat. At 7am the sun is out and your awareness of the heat kicks in. If you are intending to do the SCSM and you are about a 4hr+ runner,  do yourself  a favour and get yourself a 300-500ml running bottle so you can hyrdate and keep yourself cool between check points (I know of 3hr+ runners who do this and find it immensely beneficial). A 500ml water bottle is about 0.5 kg. Most of your shoes weigh more than this!

Ask the volunteers nicely to refill your bottle and thank them after with a word of encouragement.

Bring some oral electrolytes. I use Repalyte. Costs about 40c-60c a packet.

And remember to put all your trash in the bins that are provided to reduce the amount of "Run Away" trash (trash that goes into our drains, canals, rivers, sea or hidden in grass during and after the event).

Thanks for the useful tips! 

I find it useful to bring along a small tube of muscle cream as well for those who are  prone to cramps. 

11 hours ago, Lexham said:

Thanks for the useful tips! 

I find it useful to bring along a small tube of muscle cream as well for those who are  prone to cramps. 

Some FYI about cramps to help you prepare:

http://running.competitor.com/2013/09/news/got-cramps-heres-how-to-stop-them_83661

Have had cramp in 2 very hilly marathon events and would agree I was less prepared for the hills. Remember that Benjamin Sheares bridge is a calf/hamstring/quad killer. Hill training on Faber would be good to do in your preparations.

Was running harder and hadn't anticipated to be sweating so much. Had hamstring cramp and found that salt helped to relieve the symptoms for me. Though stopping to stretch gave some relief.

Edited by Lady Ice
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, Lady Ice said:

How about the 5hrs ++ and above runners which meant most of us?

9 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

How about the 5hrs ++ and above runners which meant most of us?

Be prepared....

After 8am the sun will begin to suck out your energy and you are praying for rain or shade and a cool breeze. At 9am folk are starting to feel like they are over heating and some will certainly be overheating.

The large open road area on your way back to the Padang will have very little respite from the sun. So many want to die on Benjamin Sheares bridge! ....And you will be laughing as you overtake them pouring water over your head and on your legs to cool yourself down as you go along....and they will look at you dreamily wishing they had brought their own bottle to do the same between checkpoints. ;)

Edited by Lady Ice

15 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Be prepared....

After 8am the sun will begin to suck out your energy and you are praying for rain or shade and a cool breeze. At 9am folk are starting to feel like they are over heating and some will certainly be overheating.

The large open road area on your way back to the Padang will have very little respite from the sun. So many want to die on Benjamin Sheares bridge! ....And you will be laughing as you overtake them pouring water over your head and on your legs to cool yourself down as you go along....and they will look at you dreamily wishing they had brought their own bottle to do the same between checkpoints. ;)

that sounds very cunning leh... hahah.... I think by there will not be any water left in my bottle... all in my body... hahaa

8 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

that sounds very cunning leh... hahah.... I think by there will not be any water left in my bottle... all in my body... hahaa

You're a trained running machine. The only reason there won't be any is cos ya might feel sorry for some of the poor zombies suffering from heat :D

14 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

You're a trained running machine. The only reason there won't be any is cos ya might feel sorry for some of the poor zombies suffering from heat :D

far from being a machine... else I would set it to run at 3:30mins/km already... hahahh......

10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

far from being a machine... else I would set it to run at 3:30mins/km already... hahahh......

All your non-running friends think you're a machine ;)