Sign in to follow this  
delldell314

Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2018, 8 April

http://www.kl-marathon.com/

It is never too early to plan for an oversea race.. I will very like to go for this race next year.. Currently i'm checking out on the transportation and it seem to me that coaches is the most comfortable and economy to go to KL for this race...

Not sure if valid or possible if interested runners here wish to charter a transport together from here to KL to save travelling time/$$..

Edited by delldell314

Would love to join but wont be able to join the run again (seems like they never have a fixed date for this run).

Great idea to book same hotel and charter a coach... You may try asking some of the running groups if they are keen to look into this with you.

Reservations for SCKLM2018 is now open for returning runners. Here is what you need to do:

Step 1: Head to http://bit.ly/2ivZwS9 
Step 2: Key in your Identity card number or passport (Please make sure this selection is the same as when you registered in 2017) 
Step 3: Key in your details and select your category as instructed.
Step 4: Click on the 'Submit' button and a notification of receipt will be sent to your email.

No automatic alt text available.

On 12/7/2017 at 12:52 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

If you want to run at SCKLM, register when it open. Normally it will sold out within days.

Really??? It is surprising... Seem to me like other stand Chart marathon slot is selling fast except our own local home ground.....

If you are interested better sign up early. It is just open for registration. There might be a different route for FM. 

16 hours ago, Madmax said:

Still available under foreigner category.  SGD$60 for 42km, $55 for 21km.

Still cheaper than SCSM! 😊 and other 3rd world country marathons. 

Local people still can sign.up as a foreigner to run the SCKLM if they want or just give SCKLM a miss.

Can start to count down to race day liao... My last FM is sundown 2 years ago.. All the race fee budget last year went to IM70.3 races... :) Hope i can still run a FM....

Posted (edited)

Hope tomorrow it will be breeze too.  Quite a slim race pack goodies.

Edited by Arvin Tunas

Posted (edited)

Ran HM this morning. Route was bit boring after 7-8KM, flyover and expressway all the way until 2 kliks before the finish. Feels like running SCHKM if not the humidity and hot weather  

FM/HM routes merged, diverged and merged again few clicks from finish line. Heard some runner missed their turn where HM/FM diverged  

Long water points with quite a lot of table serving water and lucozade, though I saw some of the first few water points were overwhelmed by the runners. 

Overall it was a well organised event, certainly way better than Singapore Marathon.

Got some feeling the EO is bit obsessed with the toilets, there were plenty. There were rows at the starting lines and at least 4 toilets at almost each water stations. 

Edited by Arvin Tunas

14 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Got some feeling the EO is bit obsessed with the toilets, there were plenty. There were rows at the starting lines and at least 4 toilets at almost each water stations. 

That sounds good for those who needed the toilet along the route....

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

That sounds good for those who needed the toilet along the route....

More toilets aint a bad thing.

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2018 at 12:58 PM, AutumnRunner said:

How's the race guys and gals who took part in this race...

For your reading pleasure, here is my post race review:

Travel: Went for the cheapest transport i know, coach. Estimated about 5hr+ journey from KL/Sg vv. We book a hotel which just less than 1km from start/stop point. Hotel itself is not too bad and decent enough for 3D2N stay.  For us,  we must travel back to Sg straight after the race due to kids' sch day. If possible,  runners can stay for 1 more day for R&R to enjoy a nice meal and entertainment. Currency exchange rate is still quite decent despite M'sia upcoming election.

RPEC: Went over during the last day at KL convention centre. RP collection itself is a breeze. No queue for FM. Wifey & BIL signed up for HM and the queue time is less than 10min.

RP: The usual stuff. Nothing worth noting.

Expo: I think the expo itself is slightly smaller scale than our local SCM but still ok  to get what you need. Price wise not as cheap as we think. (even with exchange rate) The usual stuff which on discount is gel. Other than that we just strolled thru the expo without any purchase except some gel.

Starting: The best starting wave i ever experience for a major running event. Hardly any choke !! It is a the usual wave start with pen #1-#5. I usually like to start at the last few pen and chase up. It just took about 20min+ from first wave flag off to last second wave start where i in . I'm very surprised and impressed with such a flag off... No jam!  Same applied to HM based on my wifey's feedback. The wave off  is the smoothest she experienced so far.

Route:  The best part of the FM route is no ECP... :lol: .. (Joking).  As usual for a major run event, the first 10km will abit packed with runners and some walkers. But the road is still wide enough for me to zip zap abit here and there to pass thru.  No complain on the first 10km.

Hydration point: If i remember correctly. There isn't any hydration point for the first 4km which is not really a issue for myself. After the first hydration point, the frequency for each station is quite high. Sometime there will be shortage of filled cup of water for the runner but overall still satisfied with the hydration. They even provide sponging at the later half of the race.

The downside is that my wifey and i both don't like the isotonic drink. It just taste too sweet for us. There are cold waters at some hyd points. There are also plenty toilet booths. No worry if you need to go pp. 

Route: There are 2 points where HM and FM meet. I think it is one of the major expressway. Even both categories combined, i found that there are still enough space to run. Not too bad. There are some singing groups from time to time which is quite similar than SG SCM. Overall i found that SG SCM got much more cheering groups than KL SCM.

Last 10km: To me, this is where KL SCM coz will wanna to "strike" you down. There are a lot of  ascendings from 32km onward.  I expected 2 elevations based on race guide. But on the ground, i just lost counts on the ascendings... Lucky there are enough hydration points where i can grab a cool drink and continue to push. For HM route, there are also plenty to climb. Based on wifey's garmin, elevation kick in about the last 5km+/-.

First light/sun: I checked that the first light is about 8am. Thus not too bad for myself when i toward the last 10km of the race.

During the 37-39km, I saw @prisangel running against the flow. I thought if she finished the actual 42 and still no kick thus decide to do a reverse marathon. I waved and call out to her to try to get her attention but in vain. :(

Last 5km: My gps is showing 4hr3min when i'm toward my last 5km.. I was quite surprised and happy to see such timing in this coz and decide to fasten my pace to attempt to break my own sub430. No luck... I missed my sub430 by 4 min..... Honestly it is my first time to feel a little disappointing when i crossed tat finishing line. Nevertheless met up with my wife for a post race chat and photo...  It is great that Wifey managed to break her PB instead! Overall it is a wonderful running experience for both of us. I can understand why KL SCM registration is able to be fully signed up in just within 24hours.

Finishing point: We are surprised that the spectators' atmosphere is much more lively than SG SCM. They really go all out to shout and cheer the runners at the last turn-about just 300m away from the finisher line. Kudos to the spectators at KL SCM.

Finally both our gps clocked more distances of about 1km+ more... :unsure: For my own console, i was asking her if we have run more than FM/HM distance... she just <_< to me....

Finishing area: Crew issued the finishers with a recycled bag and bottled water. It is thoughtful for organiser to issue finishers with a bag to take all the post race goodies. Apple,pear, banana and isotonic drink with the usual fin medal&Tee. The design of the fin Tee looked nice.  (and it is ON sale :) please check classified thread)

Bag deposit: Sorry that i can't comment on how the it fare coz we did not make use of the service. 

10/5km: I did not realise till my wifey noticed that the 10/5 route is totally isolated (till the finishing line) from the HM/FM. I think this is another +point to prevent overcrowding.

Recommendation: I will recommend to go for it at least once. Route scenery is not great since it is still another urban jungle  however it is still a fresh take from our local SG SCM (and ECP). 

Edited by delldell314

On 10/04/2018 at 10:58 AM, delldell314 said:

For your reading pleasure, here is my post race review:

Travel: Went for the cheapest transport i know, coach. Estimated about 5hr+ journey from KL/Sg vv. We book a hotel which just less than 1km from start/stop point. Hotel itself is not too bad and decent enough for 3D2N stay.  For us,  we must travel back to Sg straight after the race due to kids' sch day. If possible,  runners can stay for 1 more day for R&R to enjoy a nice meal and entertainment. Currency exchange rate is still quite decent despite M'sia upcoming election.

RPEC: Went over during the last day at KL convention centre. RP collection itself is a breeze. No queue for FM. Wifey & BIL signed up for HM and the queue time is less than 10min.

RP: The usual stuff. Nothing worth noting.

Expo: I think the expo itself is slightly smaller scale than our local SCM but still ok  to get what you need. Price wise not as cheap as we think. (even with exchange rate) The usual stuff which on discount is gel. Other than that we just strolled thru the expo without any purchase except some gel.

Starting: The best starting wave i ever experience for a major running event. Hardly any choke !! It is a the usual wave start with pen #1-#5. I usually like to start at the last few pen and chase up. It just took about 20min+ from first wave flag off to last second wave start where i in . I'm very surprised and impressed with such a flag off... No jam!  Same applied to HM based on my wifey's feedback. The wave off  is the smoothest she experienced so far.

Route:  The best part of the FM route is no ECP... :lol: .. (Joking).  As usual for a major run event, the first 10km will abit packed with runners and some walkers. But the road is still wide enough for me to zip zap abit here and there to pass thru.  No complain on the first 10km.

Hydration point: If i remember correctly. There isn't any hydration point for the first 4km which is not really a issue for myself. After the first hydration point, the frequency for each station is quite high. Sometime there will be shortage of filled cup of water for the runner but overall still satisfied with the hydration. They even provide sponging at the later half of the race.

The downside is that my wifey and i both don't like the isotonic drink. It just taste too sweet for us. There are cold waters at some hyd points. There are also plenty toilet booths. No worry if you need to go pp. 

Route: There are 2 points where HM and FM meet. I think it is one of the major expressway. Even both categories combined, i found that there are still enough space to run. Not too bad. There are some singing groups from time to time which is quite similar than SG SCM. Overall i found that SG SCM got much more cheering groups than KL SCM.

Last 10km: To me, this is where KL SCM coz will wanna to "strike" you down. There are a lot of  ascendings from 32km onward.  I expected 2 elevations based on race guide. But on the ground, i just lost counts on the ascendings... Lucky there are enough hydration points where i can grab a cool drink and continue to push. For HM route, there are also plenty to climb. Based on wifey's garmin, elevation kick in about the last 5km+/-.

First light/sun: I checked that the first light is about 8am. Thus not too bad for myself when i toward the last 10km of the race.

During the 37-39km, I saw @prisangel running against the flow. I thought if she finished the actual 42 and still no kick thus decide to do a reverse marathon. I waved and call out to her to try to get her attention but in vain. :(

Last 5km: My gps is showing 4hr3min when i'm toward my last 5km.. I was quite surprised and happy to see such timing in this coz and decide to fasten my pace to attempt to break my own sub430. No luck... I missed my sub430 by 4 min..... Honestly it is my first time to feel a little disappointing when i crossed tat finishing line. Nevertheless met up with my wife for a post race chat and photo...  It is great that Wifey managed to break her PB instead! Overall it is a wonderful running experience for both of us. I can understand why KL SCM registration is able to be fully signed up in just within 24hours.

Finishing point: We are surprised that the spectators' atmosphere is much more lively than SG SCM. They really go all out to shout and cheer the runners at the last turn-about just 300m away from the finisher line. Kudos to the spectators at KL SCM.

Finally both our gps clocked more distances of about 1km+ more... :unsure: For my own console, i was asking her if we have run more than FM/HM distance... she just <_< to me....

Finishing area: Crew issued the finishers with a recycled bag and bottled water. It is thoughtful for organiser to issue finishers with a bag to take all the post race goodies. Apple,pear, banana and isotonic drink with the usual fin medal&Tee. The design of the fin Tee looked nice.  (and it is ON sale :) please check classified thread)

Bag deposit: Sorry that i can't comment on how the it fare coz we did not make use of the service. 

10/5km: I did not realise till my wifey noticed that the 10/5 route is totally isolated (till the finishing line) from the HM/FM. I think this is another +point to prevent overcrowding.

Recommendation: I will recommend to go for it at least once. Route scenery is not great since it is still another urban jungle  however it is still a fresh take from our local SG SCM (and ECP). 

Oh.. So sorry @delldell314 for not replying

you oops. Sorry!!! Didn’t realize it was you. I think my mind also wasn’t on it and I wasn’t focusing as I was quite flustered. LOL what 42km no kick hahaha. I backtracked cos I was trying to find something, I haven’t finish the race at that point. Slow down my timing a bit but oh well wasn’t on track for a PB anyway. 

I have a score to settle with KL hills!!! But donno if I’ll return next year to do so, or train harder and come back at the 20th anniversary if I’m still running by then. 

On 12/04/2018 at 3:47 PM, prisangel said:

I have a score to settle with KL hills!!! But donno if I’ll return next year to do so, or train harder and come back at the 20th anniversary if I’m still running by then. 

How many more years more would that be? 

It's a marathon with many ups and down slopes. But race timing is definitely better than SCSM coz no bottlenecks and ample hydration points with wet sponge.