Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ice

Creating Clean, Green Events as a Norm

Recommended Posts

Hi All. Was wondering what people's thoughts were on how events can reduce the amount of trash they and participants produce?

-Can events like Singapore Marathon go cupless / bottle-less? (some cups have found their way into the water ways)

-Is there an alternative to gels that is better for the environment and for our teeth and doesn't give us sugar high/low?

-Is there an alternative to plastic ties?

-Do we need to have packaged t-shirts?

-Any other areas that can be improved?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Ms. Lady Ice.

Can you please ask the organisers to charge the registration fee cheaper since everything go green?

Runners paid for it!!!! We, runners paid all the trash.....actually no frill is the best! Recently, SCSM event tee are too big for Asian people, we runners trashed the tee shirt...., is it a waste that we paid?

We don't mind to bring our own cups, our drinking water......to the running event.

You must remember, NO TRASH.....NO BUSINESS.....NO INCOME to organizers, cleaners, paper cups manufacturers, 100 plus manufacturer.......and SEMBCORP,  no rubbish, no income....they use trash to generate power to Singapore.....then, we need to pay more money to use electricity which generated by fuel. Veolia, the cleaning contractor, no trash...no recycling income to them.

Can you tell NTUC FairPrice to go GREEN, start charging the plastic bags? So many clean NTUC Plastic bags found in the bins, longgang and hawker centre floors.....and our Government use the money printing out so many rubbish that people actually don't need it.

Go green is good....do you think people will listen to you? 

Do you think runners will listen to you, throwing the used bottles, used cans and used paper cups to the correct recycled bins? OMG....they are  running for time...doing their personel best....even the champion Kenyan runner, grap his drinks on the table and continue to run, after drinking...just dump his bottle on the ground, 500m away from the water point. Some runners run until head kong kong....don't know where are the bins located, and they must meet the cut off time, so .....just throw away and continue to run.

Nowadays, People go for convenient....

if every runners go green, less cleaners are deployed and employed, organiser make more profit not you.The organiser will thank you a lot and other will hate you....no income to cleaners.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Top Chan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, Top Chan said:

Hi. Ms. Lady Ice.

Can you please ask the organisers to charge the registration fee cheaper since everything go green?

Runners paid for it!!!! We, runners paid all the trash.....actually no frill is the best! Recently, SCSM event tee are too big for Asian people, we runners trashed the tee shirt...., is it a waste that we paid?

We don't mind to bring our own cups, our drinking water......to the running event.

You must remember, NO TRASH.....NO BUSINESS.....NO INCOME to organizers, cleaners, paper cups manufacturers, 100 plus manufacturer.......and SEMBCORP,  no rubbish, no income....they use trash to generate power to Singapore.....then, we need to pay more money to use electricity which generated by fuel. Veolia, the cleaning contractor, no trash...no recycling income to them.

Can you tell NTUC FairPrice to go GREEN, start charging the plastic bags? So many clean NTUC Plastic bags found in the bins, longgang and hawker centre floors.....and our Government use the money printing out so many rubbish that people actually don't need it.

Go green is good....do you think people will listen to you? 

Do you think runners will listen to you, throwing the used bottles, used cans and used paper cups to the correct recycled bins? OMG....they are  running for time...doing their personel best....even the champion Kenyan runner, grap his drinks on the table and continue to run, after drinking...just dump his bottle on the ground, 500m away from the water point. Some runners run until head kong kong....don't know where are the bins located, and they must meet the cut off time, so .....just throw away and continue to run.

Nowadays, People go for convenient....

if every runners go green, less cleaners are deployed and employed, organiser make more profit not you.The organiser will thank you a lot and other will hate you....no income to cleaners.

Alamak bro - chill. 

Think love not hate

May your world be happy (p.s. perhaps you can use your over sized t-shirt as a night shirt or give to your sister / girlfriend as a nightie)

image.png.78234abda2f161f52fa14ff70369d7aa.png

Edited by Lady Ice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Alamak bro - chill. 

Think love not hate

May your world be happy (p.s. perhaps you can use your over sized t-shirt as a night shirt or give to your sister / girlfriend as a nightie)

image.png.78234abda2f161f52fa14ff70369d7aa.png

Haha.... :-)

Love too much become Hate too much. Better to be normal. otherwise very painful.

Singapore people are very rich, a lot of them are wasting food.....please help us to promote, "Don't waste FOOD!".

 

Do you know that a lot of runners took the banana at the hydration points, not even consume it and dump the whole banana along the road, bin or grass ground?, and some runners ate half of the banana, and dump the other half banana in the bin or road side,  and at the finishing points, some runners collect the apple, not even eat it, and they just throw away the apples into the bin....... Some even worst, some corporate runners (SC Tents) ate the food partially, and the other 80% food throw into the rubbish bag. 

Wasting food is wasting life....telling us that Singapore people are rich. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Top Chan said:

Haha.... :-)

Love too much become Hate too much. Better to be normal. otherwise very painful.

Singapore people are very rich, a lot of them are wasting food.....please help us to promote, "Don't waste FOOD!".

 

Do you know that a lot of runners took the banana at the hydration points, not even consume it and dump the whole banana along the road, bin or grass ground?, and some runners ate half of the banana, and dump the other half banana in the bin or road side,  and at the finishing points, some runners collect the apple, not even eat it, and they just throw away the apples into the bin....... Some even worst, some corporate runners (SC Tents) ate the food partially, and the other 80% food throw into the rubbish bag. 

Wasting food is wasting life....telling us that Singapore people are rich.

Ahh but what is "Normal"?  Normal is an evolving state of change! What is normal now was not normal 50 years ago.

Singapore is definitely an affluent country & there is a high amount of food waste in line with other "developed" nations.

However - did you notice our Banana Marshals along the ECP (between 18-19km). They were putting the uneaten bananas in a pile for other runners who wanted more to eat. They picked up the all other partially eaten bananas + skins. At the Padang our Trash Directors did do their best to reduce the throw away apples but there were too many people and too few of us. So they made a concerted effort to collect all organics that were being thrown away. In total an estimate of 350kg of organics (mainly banana skins + helf eaten bananas) were colleted and sent to four community gardens.

Next year we intend to get the Freegans involved who will reduce the amount of good "trash" being thrown away (this includes the towels). It should be noted there are also Singaporeans on the bread line who do need help and who will appreciate the "left overs".

Thank you for providing feedback as I can discuss this with the Green Ambassadors to how we can help the SCSM organisation (and other events) reduce this waste and put it to better use (such as send to charity or to food banks). BTW we are all volunteers who are doing this because we all want to see change and more have joined us :D

"Go Green is good" and people are listening and the people are creating change.

The current Normality of thinking about oneself & convenience is slowly changing to thinking about our world and our environment. I think you know it as well :D 

Edited by Lady Ice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 8:34 PM, Lady Ice said:

Ahh but what is "Normal"?  Normal is an evolving state of change! What is normal now was not normal 50 years ago.

Singapore is definitely an affluent country & there is a high amount of food waste in line with other "developed" nations.

However - did you notice our Banana Marshals along the ECP (between 18-19km). They were putting the uneaten bananas in a pile for other runners who wanted more to eat. They picked up the all other partially eaten bananas + skins. At the Padang our Trash Directors did do their best to reduce the throw away apples but there were too many people and too few of us. So they made a concerted effort to collect all organics that were being thrown away. In total an estimate of 350kg of organics (mainly banana skins + half eaten bananas) were collected and sent to four community gardens.

KUDOS to your team, Green Ambassadors. For those uneaten apples collected at the finishing points, just send to your community garden is a waste of food and money. Do you know that those uneaten apples are still in very good condition, why not send to old fold home or boys homes. They need fruits. Nowadays, fruits are very expensive, it is good to eat it rather send to your community garden.

 

Next year we intend to get the Freegans involved who will reduce the amount of good "trash" being thrown away (this includes the towels). It should be noted there are also Singaporeans on the bread line who do need help and who will appreciate the "left overs".

Thank you for providing feedback as I can discuss this with the Green Ambassadors to how we can help the SCSM organisation (and other events) reduce this waste and put it to better use (such as send to charity or to food banks). BTW we are all volunteers who are doing this because we all want to see change and more have joined us :D

"Go Green is good" and people are listening and the people are creating change.

Yes, Go Green is good. Do you know that there are rich Singapore woman runners simply how dump their sweated clothing along the road after the marathon,, which they wear their victory finisher tee immediately......for those unwanted sweated trash running tops and bottoms can be wash and recycle and donate to the 3rd world country, it is to encourage the 3rd world country women to have a good health by running. 

Moreover, for those big size SCSM finisher tees, you can help to collect and donate to the construction workers or senior home or 3rd world country, rather than trash it. 

Singapore people are very rich....after the marathon, some Singapore runners threw away their new running shoes, the Indian cleaners are so happy, can keep the branded running shoes for jalan jalan. I have talked to one runner, he told me that the running shoes does not fit him during the run, so he threw his running shoe in the bin where one of the Indian cleaners saw it and quickly picked the shoes and keep it in one corner. May be the running shoes cannot made him fly and do a PB, it is the reason that he threw away his running shoes to release his anger.....Singapore runners are really rich. ...HOKA leh.

You can start a campaign to collect all the unfit running shoes to donate to the third world country.

The current Normality of thinking about oneself & convenience is slowly changing to thinking about our world and our environment. I think you know it as well :D 

Lady Ice. Just my suggestion from what I saw during the SCSM 2017 recently. It is good that you know the organiser....it is good too that you can tell the organiser to reduce next year registration fee for us. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aiya... just

i4iu4j.jpg

no sponsor for tee with numerical such as 2...or any alphabet... better still just dress as you want lah...

no more road blocks at city zone like another F1 Circuit... go ECP...Tenah Merah Coast where there is more green and open space...and please no more commercial sightseeing GBTB (East/Central), chinatown, hospitals...and no commercialisation on non-running devices such as like BMW...

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Top Chan said:

Lady Ice. Just my suggestion from what I saw during the SCSM 2017 recently. It is good that you know the organiser....it is good too that you can tell the organiser to reduce next year registration fee for us. :-)

Thank you. BTW I do not know the organisers. I politely knocked on their door a month before the event and asked if we could help to reduce the amount of trash that goes to landfill and see if we can make the marathon a cleaner event as many are so tired of going along ECP after SCSM (or other events) have trashed the place and to see left over trash in the grass and in the drains. They were responsive and let us see what we could do.

At the end of the event, we did a clean up AFTER Veolia had been through along 8km of the ECP route and picked up 3-4kg of runners' trash that was left in the grass or in the drains - mainly gels :(

How about you join us next time? We need more volunteers. We had 2 banana marshals at the ECP and 7 trash directors at padang.

You can expect to work hard the whole day, have to bring your own hyrdation and food, but have the satisfaction that you will have helped our country and others :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

aiya... just

i4iu4j.jpg

no sponsor for tee with numerical such as 2...or any alphabet... better still just dress as you want lah...

no more road blocks at city zone like another F1 Circuit... go ECP...Tenah Merah Coast where there is more green and open space...and please no more commercial sightseeing GBTB (East/Central), chinatown, hospitals...and no commercialisation on non-running devices such as like BMW...

hahaha - love it - upcycle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Lady Ice.

PLEASE help out all the 2018 running events in Singapore, to make sure all the runners bin their rubbish correctly.....

 

bin_it.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Top Chan - how effective do you think the PHC signs were in encouraging runners to put their trash in the bin?

need more runners to wear a Bin It on your shirt in your next event. Will you pin this to your shirt in your next event?
image.png.2c1cab77db920207017d63f97bc9a27b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 6:45 AM, Lady Ice said:

@Top Chan - how effective do you think the PHC signs were in encouraging runners to put their trash in the bin?

need more runners to wear a Bin It on your shirt in your next event. Will you pin this to your shirt in your next event?
image.png.2c1cab77db920207017d63f97bc9a27b.png

@Lady Ice Ok. You give me a free tee singlet, I wear it to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Top Chan said:

@Lady Ice Ok. You give me a free tee singlet, I wear it to run.

You can have my running sports top for free. @kohpapa has sent sample picture of how you would look:

image.png.6d2c4af0835571aba607ff55f5dfaea9.png

Edited by Lady Ice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 7:24 PM, Lady Ice said:

You can have my running sports top for free. @kohpapa has sent sample picture of how you would look:

image.png.6d2c4af0835571aba607ff55f5dfaea9.png

@Lady Ice

hahaha.....I don't mind....YOU ONLY LIVE ONE! [YOLO] You happy, I am happy........hahaha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×