AutumnRunner

Tokyo Marathon 2018 - 25 Feb 2018

Tokyo Marathon is the newest of the Marathon Majors.

Image result for tokyo marathon 2018

Time Limits

Marathon: 7 hours; Wheelchair Marathon: 2 hours and 10 minutes
10km Race: 1 hour and 40 minutes; Wheelchair 10km race: 35 minutes

• (i) The time limits are based on the gun time (not on the net time).
  • (ii) The cut-off time will be enforced at each checkpoint due to limited duration of traffic control, security operation and event operation. The runners, who fail to pass through the checkpoint before the cut-off time, will be disqualified from the race. Furthermore, runners who lag excessively behind the cut-off time pace may be asked to leave the course at anytime.

Maximum Number of Entrants

Marathon: 35,500 runners
10km Race: 500 runners

1. 1) How to Apply:
    Apply through the websiteFrom a computer or smartphone, please access:
    http://www.marathon.tokyo
  2. 2) Application period:
    10:00 a.m. JST on August 1 (Tuesday) to 5:00 p.m. JST on August 31 (Thursday) 2017
  3. 3) Selection of applicants:
    When the maximum number of entries is exceeded, participants will be chosen by lottery. The scheduled time for the announcement of the lottery results by the middle of September.
  4. 4) Payment:
    Selected entrants must pay the entry fee by credit card before the deadline. If the payment is not received by the due date, the application will be void.
    *Applications to charity runners will be accepted from Saturday, July 1 to Monday, July 31, on a first-come, first-served basis (up to 4,000 charity runners). Applications to Active charity runners will be accepted until Thursday, 31 August.
    *Priority applications from the premium members of ONE TOKYO, the official club of Tokyo Marathon Foundation, can be submitted from Monday, July 3 to Monday, July 31 (3,000 runners)
    Entrants will be selected by the lottery if applications exceed the maximum number.
    *For the details on the RUN as ONE - Tokyo Marathon 2018, please refer to the Tokyo Marathon 2018 official website.
    *Applications to elite runners and elite wheelchair athletes will be accepted from December.

I signed up as a charity runner. application submitted!

so I have 2 overseas race upcoming ! Osaka 2017 and Tokyo 2018. 

Looking forward!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sengkangboy said:

I signed up as a charity runner. application submitted!

so I have 2 overseas race upcoming ! Osaka 2017 and Tokyo 2018. 

Looking forward!

nice... how much more do we have to pay as a charity runner?

100k Yen donation. you choose one of the organization you want to donate to. I chose the Disaster recovery for children. at least is for a good cause, better than let the agencies earn the money. 

beast   
1 hour ago, sengkangboy said:

100k Yen donation. you choose one of the organization you want to donate to. I chose the Disaster recovery for children. at least is for a good cause, better than let the agencies earn the money. 

100K Yen? SGD1,000+? :o

10 hours ago, sengkangboy said:

wow.... that's not a small sum... but well it's for a good cause indeed and still can earn a confirmed place....:goodjob:

100k yen is the minimum. Initially i also feel is a huge sum. But considering is helping people in need, and a chance to run in one of the Major 6. I think is kill 2 birds with one stone. :)

beast   
1 hour ago, sengkangboy said:

100k yen is the minimum. Initially i also feel is a huge sum. But considering is helping people in need, and a chance to run in one of the Major 6. I think is kill 2 birds with one stone. :)

im_shocked.gif

Makes sense since otherwise a lot of people would have signed up too. 

I am all for donating  for charity but I guess SGD1,000+ for a race bib is a luxury I can't afford.

43 minutes ago, beast said:

Makes sense since otherwise a lot of people would have signed up too. 

I am all for donating  for charity but I guess SGD1,000+ for a race bib is a luxury I can't afford.

Agree. One needs a deep pocket or excess cash to consider this race bib. The lower cost options for majority runners will be still balloting or if one can qualify by merit, it is semi elites runners' timing! Link at http://www.marathon.tokyo/en/runner/run-as-one/

2 hours ago, sengkangboy said:

something not addressed is that what if there are more than 4000 (the limit on the number of charity runners) runners who signed up as charity runners? ballot or allow all to sign up and taking up the slots from the usual ballot?

17 minutes ago, trailblazer said:

Agree. One needs a deep pocket or excess cash to consider this race bib. The lower cost options for majority runners will be still balloting or if one can qualify by merit, it is semi elites runners' timing! Link at http://www.marathon.tokyo/en/runner/run-as-one/

They limit to 300 runners for both male and females for all overseas runners in this semi elite category... that's a small number... Anyway, I cant qualify cause too slow liaoz...

beast   
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

something not addressed is that what if there are more than 4000 (the limit on the number of charity runners) runners who signed up as charity runners? ballot or allow all to sign up and taking up the slots from the usual ballot?

From the Tokyo Marathon website:

*Up to 4,000 charity runners can be accepted, on a first-come-first-served basis. The registration will be closed once the capacity of 4,000 is filled up."

I don't think there is a lot of people with deep pockets willing to donate so much for a bib. Though Trailblazer bro says slots are filling up fast, there are still 2,000+ slots remaining.

So....want to run a marathon major bro? :ph34r:

Edited by beast

19 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

charity runners is first come first serve. once it is filled they will close. Charity Runner registration July 1 - July 31. August 1 starts the public registration

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, beast said:

*Up to 4,000 charity runners can be accepted, on a first-come-first-served basis. The registration will be closed once the capacity of 4,000 is filled up."

I don't think there is a lot of people with deep pockets willing to donate so much for a bib. Though Trailblazer bro says slots are filling up fast, there are still 2,000+ slots remaining.

I decided to do the donation to run because 

(1) i tried 4 years never got it

(2) next year is my last year to run. my kid is going primary school in 2019 and i won't be able to go for the next 8-10 years. :lol: - unless i fly in saturday and fly out sunday. haha

(3) i almost wanted to sign up last year with Athlete Journey, but they charge 3.3k without air tickets! 

(4) and i badly wanted to experience the Marathon Major atmosphere. 

Edited by sengkangboy

11 hours ago, beast said:

thanks for infor. I somehow missed this infor while speed reading... I want to run a Marathon Major of course........ in the cheaper way..... :punk:

charity runners is first come first serve. once it is filled they will close. Charity Runner registration July 1 - July 31. August 1 starts the public registration

Thanks for the infor bro.

(2) next year is my last year to run. my kid is going primary school in 2019 and i won't be able to go for the next 8-10 years. :lol: - unless i fly in saturday and fly out sunday. haha

(3) i almost wanted to sign up last year with Athlete Journey, but they charge 3.3k without air tickets! 

Listening to your pointers above, I would think that you made the right choice... :thumbsu:

I can understand the frustration after trying for 4 years... it's really not easy to get in with such a high ratio... I thought they would give higher chances to those who have tried for a long time, i.e: those who failed for 3 times to get higher chances thanb those who tried for the 1st time.... But seems not the case...

11 hours ago, beast said:

You will be surprised how desperate people are to take part in such a Marathon Major. :) 

Given sengkangboy's reply, it does makes sense why he will want to do it now than later. Athlete Journey's guaranteed Tokyo Marathon package doesn't come cheap also partly due to the hotel chosen (Keio Plaza hotel in Shinjuku area near the start point).  To @sengkangboy, since you already have a confirmed slot, I suggest you quickly make a accommodation booking near the event start point or at Nishi Shinjuku area as they tend to get snapped up very fast!

9 minutes ago, trailblazer said:

You will be surprised how desperate people are to take part in such a Marathon Major. :) 

Given sengkangboy's reply, it does makes sense why he will want to do it now than later. Athlete Journey's guaranteed Tokyo Marathon package doesn't come cheap also partly due to the hotel chosen (Keio Plaza hotel in Shinjuku area near the start point).  To @sengkangboy, since you already have a confirmed slot, I suggest you quickly make a accommodation booking near the event start point or at Nishi Shinjuku area as they tend to get snapped up very fast!

I have a feel that if I failed for 4 times and above, I might go for such desperate move too....

beast   

I think the atmosphere of the run will not be very far off from any major runs in Japan like Osaka or Kyoto marathon. Maybe Trailblazer bro can clarify since I think he did most, if not, all of the major runs in Japan.

To me, I didn't really feel the "prestige" of having joined a marathon major because I am not a fast runner and I am at the later pens where most of the crowd of the non-elite runners are.  But understand that most of us would want to go after the names so that when we look back later in our lives we will relish the "been there, done that" moments. 

41 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

thanks for infor. I somehow missed this infor while speed reading... I want to run a Marathon Major of course........ in the cheaper way..... :punk:

Then you might want to start training for a sub 2:45 marathon :ph34r:

2 hours ago, beast said:

I think the atmosphere of the run will not be very far off from any major runs in Japan like Osaka or Kyoto marathon. Maybe Trailblazer bro can clarify since I think he did most, if not, all of the major runs in Japan.

To me, I didn't really feel the "prestige" of having joined a marathon major because I am not a fast runner and I am at the later pens where most of the crowd of the non-elite runners are.  But understand that most of us would want to go after the names so that when we look back later in our lives we will relish the "been there, done that" moments. 

Then you might want to start training for a sub 2:45 marathon :ph34r:

Yes, 10 years down the road when you look back and when others are talking about running, you can value add by saying that you have at least done on Marathon Major in the World. By then, the ratio of entering could be 1:50 (who knows) and those around you might admire you leh....wahahha....

2:45 marathon? Such timing does not just count on how hard one train, it depends on many other factors such as biomechanics in which many of us can't control (born with)... I can only dream about it bro.....

@beast Thanks for the mention and I was able to do the big scale Japan running events (Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto). My initial reason for doing Japan running events was to see how well organised they were compared to big scale SG running events, and thankfully exceeded my expectations! :D 

@beast got it correct that Osaka and Tokyo marathon are not too different in crowd and event atmosphere (I am not including Kyoto as the crowd size is much smaller at 16k+ participants compared to both Osaka and Tokyo). The more obvious differences for Osaka and Tokyo will be the temperature, marathon major status, locations, different drinks/food sponsors etc.

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

2:45 marathon? Such timing does not just count on how hard one train, it depends on many other factors such as biomechanics in which many of us can't control (born with)... I can only dream about it bro.....

I disagree as biomechanics is one factor you can change progressively (like getting rid of bad habit such as finger nail biting). That is another topic separately as we don't wish to digress from this forum thread.

3 minutes ago, trailblazer said:

@beast Thanks for the mention and I was able to do the big scale Japan running events (Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto). My initial reason for doing Japan running events was to see how well organised they were compared to big scale SG running events, and thankfully exceeded my expectations! :D 

@beast got it correct that Osaka and Tokyo marathon are not too different in crowd and event atmosphere (I am not including Kyoto as the crowd size is much smaller at 16k+ participants compared to both Osaka and Tokyo). The more obvious differences for Osaka and Tokyo will be the temperature, marathon major status, locations, different drinks/food sponsors etc.

I disagree as biomechanics is one factor you can change progressively (like getting rid of bad habit such as finger nail biting). That is another topic separately as we don't wish to digress from this forum thread.

Can share more about the differences in temperature for Osaka and Tokyo? I know Tokyo is much colder but is there still sunshine during the mid day where most runners would still be out there... is singlet still recommended although I know it depends on each individual body...

Some biomechanics are harder to change. For example, to change from over/under pronation to neutral... I would not rule out that this supposing natural born phenomenon can be changed but for most mortals, it just can't.