Sign in to follow this  
ultrarunzaw

Marathon Des Sables 2018

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

The issue I used to face with shoes (soccer boots or running shoes alike) that you used before and kept it for a few months, it is less lasting... there was a few incidents where I bought new soccer boots, used it once or twice and shelve it for half a year before using again. Then the sole came off after a few minutes... So to set aside after getting in 50km mileage might have to be very sure that the shoes will be fine.

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably get abit of activity into the shoes like once a week instead totally benching it.

Edited by ultrarunzaw

45 minutes ago, ultrarunzaw said:

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably get abit of activity into the shoes like once a week instead totally benching it.

yah, that might do the job...

benchy   

@ultrarunzaw this is bloody amazing! All the best for your journey.

I'm afraid I'm a mediocre runner and can't offer any practical advice but I've seen quite a few photos of Hoka shoes running this year's MDS on Instagram. You might want to consider Hoka for their cushioning and lightness.

Are you open to sharing your upcoming training schedule so people can join you for runs? You seem like a very organised person and if you periodically post your next few days' training schedule (with your running times and locations), you might be able to find some company for those crazy long runs. You can probably outrun creepy stalkers.

Edited by benchy

10 hours ago, benchy said:

@ultrarunzaw this is bloody amazing! All the best for your journey.

I'm afraid I'm a mediocre runner and can't offer any practical advice but I've seen quite a few photos of Hoka shoes running this year's MDS on Instagram. You might want to consider Hoka for their cushioning and lightness.

Are you open to sharing your upcoming training schedule so people can join you for runs? You seem like a very organised person and if you periodically post your next few days' training schedule (with your running times and locations), you might be able to find some company for those crazy long runs. You can probably outrun creepy stalkers.

Hey there! Yes, i saw a lot of of Hoka One One too! In fact the women's champion Elisebet Barnes ran in Hoka One One shoes. I was making a choice between Kinvara and Hoka challenger ATR. If the Kinvara doesn't work out, I'll will definitely give Hoka a go!

Hey I'm not really a good runner myself. My FM pace is around 7.5min/km to 8min/km. Slow as hell. Hopefully by December, I could do a sub 5hr Marathon at SCMS.

I am open to sharing my upcoming training. I've recently just switched to Runkeeper from Nike+. I'm not really a tech/gadget or an app person. I'm still trying to figure the app out. Kinda dumb in that aspect. You can actually follow me on runkeeper (Zaw Oo). You can read my training plan here 
http://ultrarunzaw.blogspot.sg/2017/05/my-training-plan.html

I am currently in Week 1 schedule, thus my upcoming runs are on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. I apologize as I can't really share my running location in advance yet as I usually decide on them last minute. I usually run around my house (woodlands) or I travel to Bedok Reservoir. It usually depends on what time I manage wake up in the morning and the whether condition. 

Once in a while (once every 2 months?)  I do a "virtual" full marathon run with my Coach in the US. She organize races in the US, but I will join them "virtually". For cases like these, I do pick out a location in advance.

Cheers!

Edited by ultrarunzaw

12 hours ago, ultrarunzaw said:

Once in a while (once every 2 months?)  I do a "virtual" full marathon run with my Coach in the US. She organize races in the US, but I will join them "virtually". For cases like these, I do pick out a location in advance.

Cheers!

This is interesting... so you mean your coach will be able to look at your running stats instantaneously?

beast   

Cheers!

I think you can start a thread in the main local race section once you confirm the next virtual marathon. You will likely find a few people joining you for the run or part thereof...unless of course you prefer running it alone.

7 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

This is interesting... so you mean your coach will be able to look at your running stats instantaneously?

Hmmm not really. What I meant was, she usually organize a marathon race is the US. I can take part in it but, I will ownself run here in Singapore on the day itself. After Im done, I just send her my race and time details lor. It's something small and casual. Like a smaller target. It's usually among people she coaches.

7 hours ago, beast said:

I think you can start a thread in the main local race section once you confirm the next virtual marathon. You will likely find a few people joining you for the run or part thereof...unless of course you prefer running it alone.

That would be cool!

5 hours ago, ultrarunzaw said:

Hmmm not really. What I meant was, she usually organize a marathon race is the US. I can take part in it but, I will ownself run here in Singapore on the day itself. After Im done, I just send her my race and time details lor. It's something small and casual. Like a smaller target. It's usually among people she coaches.

That's nice... just follow her training and I am sure you would see results...

Short of video of packing the backpack for MDS by Elisabet Barnes (2017 MDS femal champion) for the curious! Look at the amount of things being squeeze into a small bag!

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

your compilation of total mileage is via a 2-week block? that's ok as long as you are consistent in the rest of your training mileage compilation....

Yup! 2 weeks.  Because I work 5 days in one week and 2 days the next week, it's not fair to compare week by week.

Yup! 2 weeks.  Because I work 5 days in one week and 2 days the next week, it's not fair to compare week by week.

yea understand in your case... cause in general, we count mileage on per week basis.... looks like you are training well... running everyday during your off days!

1 hour ago, beast said:

Hmm what is the difference between long 18km and easy 24km? Did you go for speed for the long 18km or ???

I was reading the different descriptions too after he posted... my guess is that the 18km long run is a continuous run of 18km while the 24km easy+stairs consist of run for ?km followed by stairs for ? flights (translate to distance) or it can be a random combination of several climbing of stairs with runs in between each...

beast   
45 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

I was reading the different descriptions too after he posted... my guess is that the 18km long run is a continuous run of 18km while the 24km easy+stairs consist of run for ?km followed by stairs for ? flights (translate to distance) or it can be a random combination of several climbing of stairs with runs in between each...

Yeah I also read that. So why do you think he terms18km as long and 24km as easy then?

5 hours ago, beast said:

Hmm what is the difference between long 18km and easy 24km? Did you go for speed for the long 18km or ???

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Different paces. My training consist of 4 paces.. from slowest to the fasted.

Slowest........ Recovery Pace (about 1.5min/km slower than marathon pace)
Slow..............Easy Pace or conversational pace(slight slower than marathon pace, about                                   40sec/km)
Normal........ Marathon Pace (for long runs)
Fast..............Speed pace or Lactate Threshold pace (About1.5min/km faster than marathon pace) 

Most of my "Easy" run are paired with stairs or powerhike + speed. So for example 24 easy means, I do like 8km Speed intervals then finish off a 16km easy pace. My speed intervals goes like 40sec Speed pace with 1min20sec recovery pace. I started off with 6 sets of interval but I am gradually increasing the no. of sets. Currently doing 12sets.

Long runs are jus very simple non-stop marathon pace. To cover the distance without break. 

In the past, before I sign up for MDS, I used to do occasional speed session for about 8km -10km and I call it a day. But right now I felt that getting those mileage in (AKA, time spent on feet) is paramount, so "easy" pace run were attached after my speed sessions.

I apologized that I did not explained this beforehand. 

Edited by ultrarunzaw

1 hour ago, ultrarunzaw said:

Long runs are jus very simple non-stop marathon pace. To cover the distance without break. 

In the past, before I sign up for MDS, I used to do occasional speed session for about 8km -10km and I call it a day. But right now I felt that getting those mileage in (AKA, time spent on feet) is paramount, so "easy" pace run were attached after my speed sessions.

no problem at all... in fact I think for ultras distance training, time on feet is most important, speed sessions can be incorporate into the usual long runs ..  that's to "save" some time as well...

• Like 1