Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lokey

London Marathon 2017

Hi Runners,

Just did the London marathon on Sunday. FR: it's an experience. Lucky to get a slot with Athlete's Journey. (not a paid plug). Cold weather. 7-11*C. Very well organized. Instead of cups of water, they can squeeze bottles. Lucozade in squeeze bottles. You can't imagine the bottle pile up on the road sides. Cheering crowds all the way. Start was from south of the Thames from Blackheath. Ending opposite Buckingham palace. Along the way London Bridge, the Eye then Big Ben. Sights are fantastic. Had started at the Blue start. Many charity runners. Some started walking the first mile. Oh boy. Back markers. And yes, distance markers are in Miles! If you are in pen 8 or 9 (usually all overseas runners they put u there) you'll have to navigate to the front. Red start runners will have better pace. Same Adidas blue lines were drawn on the road. Follow for the shortest line.

Course was actually slopey. Medium but frequent. So have to prepare the mind for it. I didn't. Thot it was flat. Ha ha so wrong. Missed PB by 11mins. Almost exceeded 5, urrrrgh. Advise, prepare for slopes

Shopping. Never forget to ask for VAT refund. IMPORTANT. It is 20%!!! and in POUNDS!

VAT REFUND. DO NOT CHECK IN your luggage before you show it to customs. They want to see it!

Will update with pictures. Cheers.

Ken

Thanks lokey/Ken for the update.. and congrats on the completion of the London Marathon, one of the 6 Marathon Majors in the World... calls for a celebration.. and I saw the medal, I really like it...big and unique shape... don't be saddened by missing out on PB as there will always be a next race... a few things to clarify...

1) they placed all the overseas runners in pens 8 or 9? meaning that they did not place them according to their expected finishing time?

2) I watched the marathon live actually and I seen that it was pretty sunny at the later part (after 3hrs into the marathon start) of the race... was it still around 11Deg Cel?

3) you got your slot through athlete's journey and you mentioned it's not a paid plug, what do you mean? not paying overly high price for it?

1) Well if you are Sub-4 you get to start from the Red Start. Rest regardless of time... pen 8,9.

2) Yes, it was still 11deg sunny.

3) What I meant was the AJ mention was not an advertisement. :-) The price was reasonable, considering London is almost impossible to get. AJ reserves this for regular customers. Good organization. Free and easy. Hotel just 300m from race exit. Bus ride to start point. All cool.

Cheers,

Ken
===

3 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Ballot Results for London Marathon 2018 is out... any lucky winners or takers for this race?

Rejected for the umpteenth time.

If you're looking for a good European marathon, think about doing Rome Marathon.

Found it excellent. It is like going through a museum. The only part that you might not like is running on cobble stones

On 10/12/2017 at 2:10 PM, Lady Ice said:

If you're looking for a good European marathon, think about doing Rome Marathon.

Found it excellent. It is like going through a museum. The only part that you might not like is running on cobble stones

Is it a flat race? how about the temp?

11 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Is it a flat race? how about the temp?

It is mostly flat.....some undulations.....I think @ 2 small hills but difficult to tell as have an extra weight with me :)

Here's my blog post: https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/the-rome-marathon-10th-april/

Here's something about the expo: https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/training-medi-8th-april/