lonewolf

CSC Run by the Bay 2017 - 01 Oct (Sun)

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Yes @william_min, this doesn't mean its beneficial to the pacers too... they have to wear the brand and model of the shoe which might not be suitable for the pacer if he/she has a different pronation or foot type...

Is it really mandatory for the pacers to wear the free running shoes? Who is going to check?

13 hours ago, beast said:

Is it really mandatory for the pacers to wear the free running shoes? Who is going to check?

yes it is mandatory... I believe the Head of the Pacer team would check....

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

yes it is mandatory... I believe the Head of the Pacer team would check....

Then if they don't wear what is the head going to do....not allow them to run?  Then free shoes for the pacer who did nothing?

3 hours ago, beast said:

Then if they don't wear what is the head going to do....not allow them to run?  Then free shoes for the pacer who did nothing?

unsure about this part though...but as a pacer, definitely have to respect the sponsor, similar to our SEA games marathoners who cannot advertise their sponsors during a "blackout" period..

Damn! AR, you talked as if you damn experience as a pacer. Including the strict requirement for wearing sponsored shoes to blackout period.  Even Head of Pacer he also knows! :crazysmile:So have you being a silent pacer among us all this time?? 

I am not a pacer but I think common sense would prevail and not all races would be so strict. Even if it is mandatory to wear the sponsored shoe, all major shoe brands will have shoes to cater to almost every runners' need including over-pronator and under-pronator. So I dun really see why this is a big problem. 

11 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Damn! AR, you talked as if you damn experience as a pacer. Including the strict requirement for wearing sponsored shoes to blackout period.  Even Head of Pacer he also knows! :crazysmile:So have you being a silent pacer among us all this time?? 

I am not a pacer but I think common sense would prevail and not all races would be so strict. Even if it is mandatory to wear the sponsored shoe, all major shoe brands will have shoes to cater to almost every runners' need including over-pronator and under-pronator. So I dun really see why this is a big problem. 

I have many friends who are pacers before.. and also pacer for our SCSM.. I went for the trial before but turned down later knowing that I have to wear other brand of shoes which I aren't familiar with to run 42.195km.. its no joke... I prefer to stick to my own brand which I trust...

I also think I talk as if I was a pacer before... the power of words... wahahahah....:sword:

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

I have many friends who are pacers before.. and also pacer for our SCSM.. I went for the trial before but turned down later knowing that I have to wear other brand of shoes which I aren't familiar with to run 42.195km.. its no joke... I prefer to stick to my own brand which I trust...

I also think I talk as if I was a pacer before... the power of words... wahahahah....:sword:

OK. My bad. You were almost a pacer! :crazysmile:You mean you cannot find a suitable shoe model suitable for your feet? But I understand, some people just have a preference for certain brands. So far I tried Asics, Puma, NB, Sacouny and Brooks and Brooks is still my favourtie though I would have been OK with any if it was free. 

12 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

OK. My bad. You were almost a pacer! :crazysmile:You mean you cannot find a suitable shoe model suitable for your feet? But I understand, some people just have a preference for certain brands. So far I tried Asics, Puma, NB, Sacouny and Brooks and Brooks is still my favourtie though I would have been OK with any if it was free. 

that means your leg is almost flexible with many different brands... :thumbsu:

13 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

that means your leg is almost flexible with many different brands... :thumbsu:

Rather I think lonewolf means that he, like me, is not so particular about PBs timings when we run races, only for enjoyment and completion, so we are OK with most brands of shoes as long as do not hurt the feet too much,

38 minutes ago, beast said:

Rather I think lonewolf means that he, like me, is not so particular about PBs timings when we run races, only for enjoyment and completion, so we are OK with most brands of shoes as long as do not hurt the feet too much,

I think @lonewolf meant he is ok with most brands if it's free.... hahah...

On 10/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, william_min said:
  1. Pacers run for Free :D, save race fee.
  2. Pacers have free running shoe (depend on race) :dribble:, free pacer singlet :aso:   , free pre race run :lol: ,   ...  ...

Yes, for most (if not all) races, pacers run for free. Most too will get medals and finisher tees. Though I can assure you, I've yet to meet any pacer who pace for the freebies and I have met a whole lot. The training sessions they have to commit to, the early/late hours (transport at own cost) would add up to more than the registration fees. Many pacers do it as a form of contributing back to the running community, making friends, helping others as well as learning from others. My 2 cents :)

Edited by okw
Grammar

14 hours ago, okw said:

Yes, for most (if not all) races, pacers run for free. Most too will get medals and finisher tees. Though I can assure you, I've yet to meet any pacer who pace for the freebies and I have met a whole lot. The training sessions they have to commit to, the early/late hours (transport at own cost) would add up to more than the registration fees. Many pacers do it as a form of contributing back to the running community, making friends, helping others as well as learning from others. My 2 cents :)

perfect description....

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, okw said:

As a pacer, 

there is nothing wrong to get free freebies & run the race for free + give back to running community.

who will say "I want to be a pacer because I want the freebies"?   The standard reply is " I want to give back to running community".  Same as when your boss ask Like Work or $, standard reply is Like Work, very challenging, very good boss... . So for sure, u had met pacer for freebies, or  those want to give back to community or both.  How can u " Though I can assure you, I've yet to meet any pacer who pace for the freebies and I have met a whole lot." ?

Transport cost more than  registration fees + free freebies.  U sure or not. 

4 hours ago, william_min said:

As a pacer, 

there is nothing wrong to get free freebies & run the race for free + give back to running community.

who will say "I want to be a pacer because I want the freebies"?   The standard reply is " I want to give back to running community".  Same as when your boss ask Like Work or $, standard reply is Like Work, very challenging, very good boss... . So for sure, u had met pacer for freebies, or  those want to give back to community or both.  How can u " Though I can assure you, I've yet to meet any pacer who pace for the freebies and I have met a whole lot." ?

Transport cost more than  registration fees + free freebies.  U sure or not. 

Yes, the amount spent on cab/grab/uber over several early-hour flag-off runs cost more than the registration fees. A single runner coming from Yishun/Woodlands to attend a pacer trial could already spent $20+ without even knowing if he/she will be selected. 

Maybe that's how you reply to your boss, not everyone does. 

12 hours ago, okw said:

Yes, the amount spent on cab/grab/uber over several early-hour flag-off runs cost more than the registration fees. A single runner coming from Yishun/Woodlands to attend a pacer trial could already spent $20+ without even knowing if he/she will be selected. 

Maybe that's how you reply to your boss, not everyone does. 

Race start time can be 4.30am, so everyone (pacer or registered runner) drive or take cab. Pacer training run usually in the morning 7am or afternoon 6pm, most take bus & mrt. Of course if cannot wake up early or prefer take cab, is your choice, u pay for it,  not add every transport cost to your so called "give back to running community". 

As a pacer, there is nothing wrong to get free freebies & run the race for free + give back to running community. We flight so hard to get all these welfare for our pacer. Of course, if like then take it, else can give to others.  There is no deny.

31 minutes ago, william_min said:

Race start time can be 4.30am, so everyone (pacer or registered runner) drive or take cab. Pacer training run usually in the morning 7am or afternoon 6pm, most take bus & mrt. Of course if cannot wake up early or prefer take cab, is your choice, u pay for it,  not add every transport cost to your so called "give back to running community". 

As a pacer, there is nothing wrong to get free freebies & run the race for free + give back to running community. We flight so hard to get all these welfare for our pacer. Of course, if like then take it, else can give to others.  There is no deny.

Yes, there's nothing wrong. Paying for transport is of course own choices though many couldn't take public transport due to lack of it at early hours. Yes there are many pacer runs starting before 630am. My point being, running the events for free is hardly a motivation to be pacers. Paying for transport out of own pocket is one of the proofs, nothing to do with "giving back to the running community". 

Greetings to all here, some whom uncle used to talk ("silly" most of the time ;))...

Perhaps, uncle had been inspired to run, and like some here may have...because of Team Fatbird...and at one time...also inspired to be a pacer...a-but-then...lots of commitment, terms and conditions.

29, May, 2016 - Sundown Marathon Pacers 2016: Mission Accomplished!

vcz9m8.jpg

After 15 weeks of selection trials and intensive pace training with 3 lead up runs for Sundown runners, the Sundown Marathon Pacers from Team FatBird delivered to their pace to help many runners meet their marathon targets and even register Personal Bests at Sundown Marathon.

20t0y1c.jpg

The Half and Full Marathon Pacers were at Race Village at 9pm to ensure all preparations from identifying the race routes to getting the pace balloons, arming themselves with sponsored items, meeting up with runners and taking photos, and lining up at the start line for the night’s pacing mission.

nmx9n4.jpg

The Half Marathon Pacers of 2:00h, 2:15h and 2:30h took up positions by 11:15pm, joined shortly by wave 1 of the large field of Half Marathoners which were flagged of at 11:50pm.  The air was rather humid and the route was challenging with its fair share of slopes.  Still the HM Pacers did very well to bring the runners to within 1-2min of the completion target times.

2448emw.jpg

The Full Marathon Pacers were ushered into the start pens at 11:45pm but had to wait for the waves of HM runners to clear before taking up their respective positions in 2 waves for what they have been training for the past 15-weeks to deliver.

By the 30km mark, those runners who showed signs of bettering their timings were encouraged to run ahead at faster paces to achieve their PBs while the tiring ones kept to their paces in the hope of beating the clock.

Just a note: The Sundown Pacers shone through the night to deliver many of the runners and trainees who have been training with Team FatBird in the *12-week structured marathon training program to meet and best their target timings for the race.

BTW, uncle is not associated with FatBird or ads for FatBird..but, simply use them as example of what a pacer commits to do in preparation before and perform on actual race day...and sponsor items like shoes and compression wears (like socks or pants)...if you have noticed in the pictures...must wear...something that if preferred, do you put on a pair of new brand shoes for marathon running?...according to FatBird pacers...they must comply with the event host...and smile with their runners for publicity...

Anyway, thank you here who those contributing and sharing in the run community with your pre- and post-run reviews, blogs...well done..it is your demonstration of "giving back to the running community".

Edited by kohpapa