Sign in to follow this  
jerrylam

Training and Preparing For Ultra Marathons

19 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Wahahah.... 

Tapering period always feels good...

yup, time for easy training and superb body maintenance :) haaa

jerrylam   

My LSD was cut short last Saturday, and i couldn't find time to go for another long run on Sunday. So, i'll have to plan another final long LSD this weekend. 

• Like 1

jerrylam   

I came across this article when i was browsing through Facebook, and find it quite relevant. It's about the 4 common mistakes runners make when they are training for an ultra marathon. The link is as below:

http://running.competitor.com/2016/05/training/top-4-training-mistakes-ultrarunning_150447

If you don't have the time to browse through it, here's a summary of some of the key highlights i derive from the article:

Mistake 1: The N of 1

A runner should not rely purely on the experience of a coach or trainer when preparing for an ultra. Everyone is different from our body mechanics, fatigue threshold all the way to our frequency of refueling. While the trainer's experience should be taken into account, but one should tailor his or her training to one's specific target on timing and pace.

Mistake 2: Too Much Focus on Volume

When we train for an ultra, naturally we'll want to lump in as many long runs as possible. But some runners focus too much on the long runs, neglecting other expects of training which will be beneficial on race day.

Mistake 3: Not Enough Intensity

Running slowly during an ultra is a given. But intensity training such as speedwork is not to be neglected. It'll help to develop different parts of your physiology crucial to withstand the vigor of an extended ultra that could easily last for a day or 2.

Mistake 4: Lack of Specificity

If one is training for a trail ultra, one can't train purely on flats and roads. One need to understand the race route and take into accounts how steep are the climbs? How hot is the race? How far apart are the aid stations? What is the terrain like? These are elements of specificity you can train for. Apply specificity to training makes you better prepared for all the elements on race day, including the intensity, duration, environmental conditions, and whatever other troubles and tribulations you might encounter.

On ‎17‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, jerrylam said:

My LSD was cut short last Saturday, and i couldn't find time to go for another long run on Sunday. So, i'll have to plan another final long LSD this weekend. 

with less than 2 weeks 2 days to go, i already pangkang already. ha

On ‎17‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, jerrylam said:

see you at our "playground" if I see you..... or rather if I recognize you...hahhh

jerrylam   
3 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

see you at our "playground" if I see you..... or rather if I recognize you...hahhh

Planning for a HM around our playground at 3pm this weekend. Wanna join me for a tan?? LOL

25 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

Planning for a HM around our playground at 3pm this weekend. Wanna join me for a tan?? LOL

3pm?? neh...:hot:... I should be starting at 6am instead..:lol:.. hahahh

jerrylam   
On 7/27/2017 at 1:30 PM, AutumnRunner said:

3pm?? neh...:hot:... I should be starting at 6am instead..:lol:.. hahahh

I did a 20km last Saturday from 3.00pm.....and i almost regretted it instantaneously. But it was necessary....

Will be doing another heat training session this weekend, but not 20km again LOL

54 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

I did a 20km last Saturday from 3.00pm.....and i almost regretted it instantaneously. But it was necessary....

Will be doing another heat training session this weekend, but not 20km again LOL

yesh, you accomplished what many think is impossible... :thumbsu:...

jerrylam   
1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

yesh, you accomplished what many think is impossible... :thumbsu:...

For those that have done the Bedok Reservoir Ultra (i've never), running in the midday heat is piece of cake hahaha

16 hours ago, jerrylam said:

For those that have done the Bedok Reservoir Ultra (i've never), running in the midday heat is piece of cake hahaha

yea... the Bedok Reservoir Ultra is another beast also..... now I feel more human suddenly...hahhah

jerrylam   

Finally, Craze Ultra is upon me!! Another 4 days from today, i'll be embarking on unknown territory. Whatever physical preparation that i could do is done by now. Just one more short run tomorrow, and i'll be resting my legs til race day. 

For this year's Craze Ultra, i'll try to rely more on solid food for energy. Gels are good for instant energy, but still not sufficient to cure the hunger pangs. I'll have Tailwind that will take care of the electrolytes. I'm packing along food such as dates and muesli bars that are easy to consume and low gi, that helps to maintain my energy level from dropping too low. 

At every CP, i'll be helping myself with fruits and bread. Won't have time for extended meals, and i'll also be skipping the instant noodles at CP5/6 altogether as i'll not have the appetite for a full meal (as proven over the last 2 editions). The good thing is that there are petrol kiosks and convenient stores along many parts of the route, which i can just pop it to get an ice cream. 

And now, til the BIG day to finally find out if i'm indeed ready for 100 miles. 

looks like you have everything planned out @jerrylam.. done your planned short run on National Day and also gone through the mental prep on the food intake for the day... don't look back and don't wonder anymore, just wait for another Ultra Runner title under your belt...

jerrylam   
1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

looks like you have everything planned out @jerrylam.. done your planned short run on National Day and also gone through the mental prep on the food intake for the day... don't look back and don't wonder anymore, just wait for another Ultra Runner title under your belt...

Thanks bro! My preparation is still on going. The carbo loading phase is still going strong....very strong....overly strong :stuff:!!! LOL

3 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Thanks bro! My preparation is still on going. The carbo loading phase is still going strong....very strong....overly strong :stuff:!!! LOL

just eat bro... this is the time to enjoy and truly enjoy without feeling guilty.....go go go.....

On 13/07/2017 at 11:26 PM, AutumnRunner said:

For sure u can....and u r still young so still has potential to... go for it..

Thanks Autumn. Maybe then I won't do an ultra again till after I qualify for Boston.

Lol.